I'm going to post my collection of complete Beethoven works so far. I'm posting them also on 'La Leyenda', but this would be a perfect spot for others to enjoy.
This is what I have posted so far on the 'La Leyenda' site. If you would like to know the track names, please search on Amazon. It is a white Complete Beethoven set box, featuring 86 CDs. I will plan on posting all of the CDs at some time. I will also include (one day soon, hopefully) the complete works of Mozart and Bach. Please enjoy! I think this Classical Music Hall is a wonderful idea, and hope that everyone takes full advantage of it:
CD 1 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=jxxnc6qklsd CD 2 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=yvbxqckzj3f CD 3 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=j7f4rqjw1sc CD 4 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=rpgoyv4n26c CD 5 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=4q74lyd1g4f CD 6 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=dndnj84gb9d CD 7- http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=26hyg79ynyf CD 8 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=x6cwr6vydtf CD 9 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=hcxyh28vfhb CD 10 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=b8ffdncqlvd CD 11 -http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=97mzlgxkjvf CD 12 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=99fydlnn0cc CD 13 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=l37ro63yofc CD 14 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=68nnohx6mbf CD 15 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=x72tbvk0pmb CD 16 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=tv4dlh2jbqf CD 17 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=qt40rdngboc CD 18 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=mynhs8gossc CD 19 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=3v7lm484rvb CD 20 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=l6jkshb25qc CD 21 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=5nf28vgjsyb CD 22 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=kqfl1jfvmbc CD 23 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=vd55thh2lhb CD 24 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=3mgl4wfv5xb CD 25 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=xjxtkt4lrvb CD 26 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=wxx6b660m0f CD 27 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=c0vkmkkhctb CD 28 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=lslhcmf10pd CD 29 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=l0ozwhdtpsb CD 30 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=j36zh7c183c CD 31 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=j3y3cvrlnvf CD 32 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=ojn1hmf6pmf
CD 33 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=sh9yczcmzpd CD 34 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=8cnx5hh4r7f CD 35 http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/3196331455/Complete_Beethoven_-_CD_35.zip CD 36 http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/3196331465/Complete_Beethoven_-_CD_36.zip
Your very welcome, Isbum! Your site has been a part of my life for a while now. I think it's a great idea, and I want to make sure others are able to enjoy classical music as well as film.
Call it sort of a classical top 100 “hits” from 1685-1928.
Here is just the tip of the magnificent iceberg which has enriched us for hundreds of years.
My thanks to isbum for providing this venue of sharing and our old friend Chimesatmidnight for the inspiration that reminds us how much beauty and joy there is in this world of ours.
Disc 1: 1685-1730
1. Bach - Toccata in D minor 2. Pachelbel - Canon in D 3. Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, 1st movement 4. Handel - Water Music, Suite No. 2 in D 5. Purcell - Trumpet Tune and Air 6. Bach - Air (from Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D) 7. Vivaldi - The Four Seasons - Spring 8. Albinoni - Adagio 9. Vivaldi - Mandoline Concerto in C, RV 425 10. Bach - Minuet and Badinerie (from Orchestral Suite No. 2)
1. Handel - "Hallelujah" from Messiah 2. Gluck - Dance of the Blessed Spirits, from "Orpheus and Eurydice" 3. Bach - Sinfonia in G, from "Christmas Oratorio" 4. Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 3 in G, 1st movement 5. Handel - Largo, from "Xerxes" 6. Vivaldi - Flute Concerto in G minor "La Notte", VI. Allegro 7. Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, from "Solomon" 8. Bach - Oboe Concerto in D minor, 2nd movement 9. Handel - Concerto grosso in A minor op. 6 No. 4 10. Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 5 in A, 2nd movement
1. Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, 1st movement 2. Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 in C, 2nd movement ("Elvira Madigan") 3. Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro - Overture 4. Mozart - Flute Concerto No. 2 in D, 2nd movement 5. Mozart - Rondo Alla Turca, from Piano Sonata in A 6. Mozart - Don Giovanni - Overture 7. Mozart - Horn Conerto No. 3 in E flat, 2nd movement 8. Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 23 in A, 1st movement 9. Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro - March 10. Mozart - Serenata Notturna
1. Mozart - Symphony No. 40, 1st movement 2. Beethoven - "Moonlight" Sonata, 1st movement 3. Haydn - Symphony No. 94, "Surprise", 2nd movement 4. Mozart - The Magic Flute - Overture 5. Beethoven - Fur Elise 6. Haydn - Emperor's Hymn, from Sring Quartet in C 7. Beethoven - Symphony No. 5, 1st movement 8. Mozart - Clarinet Concerto in A, 2nd movement 9. Beethoven - Minuet in G 10. Haydn - Trumpet Concerto in E flat, 3rd movement
1. Rossini - The Barber of Seville - Overture 2. Schubert - Symphony No. 8 in B minor, "Unfinished" 3. Mendelssohn - Spring Song 4. Chopin - Polonaise in A, Op. 40 No. 3, "Military" 5. Schubert - Ballet Music in G, from "Rosamunde" 6. Weber - Der Freischutz - Overture 7. Schubert - Ave Maria 8. Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 4 in A, "Italian", 1st movement 9. Schumann - Traumerci 10. Schubert - German Dance No. 1
1. Mendelssohn - Wedding March, from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" 2. Liszt - Liebestraum No. 3 in A flat 3. Verdi - Nabucco - Overture 4. Schumann - The Merry Peasant 5. Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 6. Wagner - Lohengrin - Prelude to Act 3 7. Verdi - La Traviata - Prelude to Act 1 8. Wagner - Tannhauser - Arrival of the Guests at Wartburg 9. Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E minor, 2nd movement 10. Suppe - Poet and Peasant - Overture
1. Offenbach - Orpheus in the Underworld - Overture 2. Rubinstein - Melody in F 3. Liszt - Les Preludes 4. Brahms - Waltz in A flat 5. Verdi - The Force of Destiny - Overture 6. Grieg - I Love You 7. Smetana - The Bartered Bride - Overture 8. Offenbach - Barcarolle, from "The Tales of Hoffmann" 9. Strauss II - Tritsch Tratsch Polka 10. Suppe - Light Cavalry - Overture
1. Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor, 1st movement (excerpt) 2. Brahms - Cradle Song 3. Smetana - The Moldau 4. Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries, from "The Valkyrie" 5. Grieg - Morning, from "Peer Gynt" 6. Bizet - Les Toreadors, from "Carmen" 7. Delibes - Notturno, from "Coppelia" 8. Tchaikovsky - Marche Slave, Op. 31 9. Bizet - L'Arlesienne - Intermezzo 10. Strauss II - The Blue Danube - Waltz
1. Tchaikovsky - Polonaise, from "Eugene Onegin" 2. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, from "The New World" 3. Tchaikovsky - Waltz of the Flowers, from "The Nutcracker" 4. Rimsky-Korsakov - Alborado, from "Capriccio Espagnol" 5. Grieg - The Last Spring 6. Dvorak - Slavonic Dance No. 2 7. Tchaikovsky - The Sleeping Beauty - Introduction 8. Wagner - Siegfried's Death and Funeral March, from "Twilight of the Gods" 9. Dvorak - Songs My Mother Taught Me 10. Strauss II - Emperor Waltz
Unique among American composers, Leonard Bernstein led most of his professional life in the glow of the public spotlight. His tastes were eclectic and his compositions ranged from Broadway shows to sacred music. He composed three symphonies. Well worth having in any listener's collection of 20th century composers.
When Gioacchino Rossini died in 1868, Verdi suggested that a number of Italian composers should collaborate on a Requiem in Rossini's honor, and began the effort by submitting a "Libera me."
During the next year a Messa per Rossini was compiled by 13 composers (of whom the only one well known today is Verdi himself). The premiere was scheduled for the first anniversary of Rossini's death in 1869, but the performance was cancelled and the piece fell into oblivion.
In the meantime, Verdi kept toying with his "Libera me," frustrated that the combined commemoration of Rossini's life would not be performed in his lifetime.
In May of 1873, the Italian writer and humanist Alessandro Manzoni, whom Verdi had met in 1868, died. Upon hearing of his death, Verdi resolved to complete a Requiem—this time entirely of his own writing—for Manzoni.
Verdi travelled to Paris in June, where he commenced work on the Requiem, giving it the form we know today. It included a revised version of the "Libera me" originally composed for Rossini.
The Requiem was first performed the following May in the church of San Marco in Milan, on the first anniversary of Manzoni's death.
In terms of dramatic urgency, the Requiem is unsurpassed by any of Verdi's operas, and as a personal expression perhaps only by the truly valedictory Te Deum of 1898 (Also included on the second disc of this recording), the only one of his scores he asked to have buried with him. Only in passing will the listener notice how much Verdi allowed himself in this work—as he would again in the final operas and the Quattro pezzi sacri (all included here) —to bring his vast musical learning and technical skills into play to augment the lyric gift so abundantly evident throughout his earlier works. No one revered the great masters of the past more than he, who kept the scores of the Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart string quartets always close by, and who venerated Palestrina as “first and foremost.”
Arguably, Verdi's Requiem may be the greatest choral work ever written, it is certainly up there with the last movement of Beethoven's 9th for the most sublime dramatic and emotional impact.
Verdi's Te Deum is another magnificent choral piece that again connects mankind dramatically and emotionally with God. On a personal note, having sung both pieces with symphony orchestras in concert, I feel particularly close to this music and, at the end of the Te Deum as the solo violin floats a last lingering note out across the universe, closer to heaven you can really understand the beauty of our world.
Well, i've got a request. Not for any special composer but for special voices... I'm searching anything recorded by sopranists (Aris Christofelis is the more famous, but i've heard about a very few others) and altos (Gerard Lesne is the more welcome) Please no Alfred Deller, i didn't like his voice... And no need to Alessandro Moreschi the Castrato, unless it's unreleased, i've got him...
Here are a couple of reposts for those who might have missed them, and to keep the links alive. Consider them “crossover” classics.
OPERA GOES TO THE MOVIES
1. Madama Butterfly: Un bel di (Fatal Attraction) - Leontyne Price 2. Turandot: Nessun dorma (The Witches Of Eastwick) - Jussi Bjoerling 3. La Boheme: Quando m'en vo (Moonstruck) - Anna Moffo 4. La Boheme: Donde lieta usci (Mimi's Addio) - Moonstruck - Leontyne Price 5. The Barber Of Seville: Una voce poco fa (Dark Eyes) - Roberta Peters 6. Die Walkure: Ride Of The Valkyries (Apocalypse Now) - Eugene ormandy 8. The Barber Of Seville: Overture (Prizzi's Honor) - Fritz Reiner L 9. Gianni Schicchi: Firenze e come un albero fiorito (A Room With A View) - Peter Seiffert 10. Gianni Schicchi: O mio babbino caro (A Room With A View) - Leontyne Price 11. La rondine: Chi il bel sogno di Doretta (A Room With A View) - Anna Moffo 12. Cavalleria Rusticana: Intermezzo (Godfather III) - James Levine 13. Pagliacci: Vesti la biubba (The Untouchables) - Placido Domingo 14. La Wally: Ebben? Ne andro lontano (Diva) - Eva Marton 15. Rigoletto: Questa o quella (Wall Street) - Alfredo Kraus 16. La Boheme: O soave fanciulla (Moonstruck) - Placido Domingo 17. Manon Lescaut: Sola, perduta, abbandonata (Hannah And Her Sisters) - Leontyne Price 18. Martha: M'appari (The Grey Fox) - Placido Domingo
File1 Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring.mp3 File2 Oboe Concerto in A major, 2nd Movement BWV 1055.mp3 File3 Brandenburg Concerto #2 in F major BWV 1047, 1st Movement.mp3 File4 Invention #4 BWV 775.mp3 File5 Brandenburg Concerto #2 in F major BWV 1047, 2nd Movement.mp3 File6 Air.mp3
Brahms First symphony is frequently called Beethoven's 10th as it is a logical progression in musical evolution.
But what if Beethoven had written a tenth symphony? According to many he did.
It is said that Beethoven left behind sketches of a Tenth Symphony. And even better than that, a man by the name of Barry Cooper has reconstructed the symphony from these sketches.
Did the 10th ever exist? In Beethoven’s fevered mind? In actual notes and bits and pieces? The Tenth Symphony has to exist because Beethoven frequently mentioned it, along with the Ninth, as planned and in the works- he even began work on it before the glorious Ninth was complete (initially the Ninth was to be purely instrumental -the original fourth movement of the Ninth scrapped and instead used as a movement in String Quartet Op. 132- and the Tenth to include a chorus, while Schiller's "Ode to Joy" was initially conceived as a separate cantata... not to be included as part of a mainly instrumental work). This overlap of work was also the case with the fifth and sixth symphonies. It is not impossible to believe, that a greater symphony was to follow the Ninth. This recording, as well as Beethoven's and his colleagues' own testimonies, are evidence to the contrary. It is interesting to note that a friend of Beethoven even heard the master play the piano reduction of the Tenth Symphony IN ITS ENTIRETY, explaining the developments as they came along.
Here’s what famous composer Erik Satie had to say:
“Of all the works of this grandiose composer, this 10th Symphony, which nobody knows, is one the most sumptuous. Its proportions are on a palatial scale; its ideas are fresh and plentiful; the developments are exact and appropriate.
This Symphony had to exist: the number 9 just wouldn't suit Beethoven. He liked the decimal system: "I have ten fingers," he used to explain. Certain admirers who came dutifully to take in this masterpiece with thoughtful and attentive ears, quite wrongly felt it to be one of Beethoven's inferior works and went so far as to say so. They even went further than that.
In no way can Beethoven be inferior to himself. His form and technique are always portentous, even in his slightest works. In his case the word rudimentary cannot be used. As an artist he can easily stand up to any counterfeit attributed to him.” -- Erik Satie -- Memoirs of an Amnesiac, 1912
London Symphony Orchestra BEETHOVEN: 10TH SYMPHONY
I have a request: searching through your archives I found defunct links to Bernard Herrmann conducting Holst's The Planets. I never knew it existed! Since reading about it here, I can't seem to find it anywhere..
I am hoping you can re-post a working link to it. Thank you for any help you can provide, and keep up the excellent work!
Here is an amazing piece of music with an equally amazing history. In fact, it is so amazing that I’m going to post it here as a classical piece, and over in the big section as a REJECTED SOUNDTRACK
"Forest of the Amazon" dating from 1959 was one of Heitor Villa-Lobos' (1887-1959) last works. Much of the music was derived from the composer's film score to "Green Mansions" starring Audrey Hepburn and Anthony Perkins. However, the final score was provided by Bronislau Kaper, who quoted Villa-Lobos here and there, but provided his own music elsewhere. Villa-Lobos was very angry about this and, in response, developed "Forest of the Amazon" from his film score.
"Forest of the Amazon" is, more or less, a 74-minute symphonic poem. The work is divided into 20 sections here, however each section flows into another without a break. Despite the length, this work holds the listener's attention throughout. Villa-Lobos was a brilliant orchestrator and knew how to write a great melody. I was immediately lured into this work by the powerful and evocative overture (Track 1). Other exciting sections include "On the way to the Hunt" (Track 9) and "Head Hunters" (Track 16). The imaginative use of male voices and percussion definitely give "Forest of the Amazon" an exotic flavor. Of course the singing by Renée Fleming is lovely, and Villa-Lobos' melodies for the soprano solo are beautiful and memorable. As an example, listen to "Love Song" (Track 17) or "Sentimental Melody" (Track 18). Amazingly, the symphonic poem is a cohesive work; with early themes reappearing later in the work. Yet the piece is incredibly varied, in which the listener takes an Amazonian journey though Villa-Lobos' unique sound world, which incorporates ethnic, popular and classical elements.
1. Overture 2. Deep In the Forest 3. Excitement Among the Indians 4. First Bird Song 5. Nature's Dance 6. Second Bird Song 7. (Vocalise) 8. Sails 9. On the Way To the Hunt 10. Third Bird Song 11. Twilight Song 12. The Indians In Search of the Girl 13. Fourth Bird Song 14. Rima's Music 15. (Vocalise) 16. Head Hunters 17. Love Song 18. Sentimental Melody 19. Forest Fire 20. (Finale)
Bobby McFerrin's signature falsetto envelops a poignant, wordless melody, embellished by piano flourishes that tow the line between classical decorum and Chick Corea's airy, modal jazz style.
Suddenly the music segues into the opening of Mozart's D Minor Concerto. The A Major Concerto (K. 488) is similarly introduced. While the smooth, thick orchestral fabric suggests forces larger than a chamber aggregation, McFerrin clarifies important woodwind details (the elusive bassoon, for instance, in K. 488's slow movement) and infuses the outer movements with controlled brio. By contrast, Corea's Latin-tinged, improvised cadenzas (cadenzas were originally sections set aside for the pianist to show off and were improvised) are a refreshing change from those which have been written for these pieces.
The genius of it is that not only is Corea a brilliant improvisationist, but he can play Mozart with a crisp and subtle touch that highlights all the emotions from major to minor. Just tune out the right hand a bit, and hear the precision and deftness of the left hand's accompaniment. This lends credence and passion to his cadenza improvisations. Consequently, the brilliance of Mozart's writing and the brilliance of sheer improvisation make an incredible combination. All the poetic essences of continuity and change are flung at the listener.
Neither McFerrin nor Corea abuse the music either; the vocal introductions and Corea's embellishments and explorations only heighten awareness, and do not undermine the essence of the works.
The final Adagio from the F Sonata that they convert into the "Song For Amadeus" is a wonderful tribute to the most brilliant of composers.
One of Time Magazines top albums of 1996:
THE MOZART SESSIONS Bobby McFerrin & Chick Corea St. Paul Chamber Orchestra
What does a composer hear in his head? When asked that question, Mozart said he hears everything, all the parts as if it were a dream.
Many great musicians frequently hear something in their heads that is different from the composer’s final product. They will take the material and twist it into a different shape, through other instruments and variations, which become unique dreams in their own right.
Transcriptions have been around for a long time. Sometimes they detract from the original composer’s intention, but often they enhance and reinterpret the work for a completely new and different audience. Stokowski’s transcriptions for orchestra of Bach’s organ works are an excellent example. He doesn’t improve or detract from the original, but he allows us to hear it with a completely different sensibility. When Ravel orchestrated Moussorgsky’s Pictures At An Exhibition, he may have exceeded the vision of the original by bringing it to its logical fruition. Many of you may be familiar with the fabulous transcriptions of classical pieces done by Wendy Carlos on the Moog Synthesizer.
Transcribing instrumental pieces for the human voice is frequently a very commercial enterprise. Notably, the Swingle Singers made a career out of such transcriptions (think of Bach on lysergic acid).
More recently, Accentus, a French a cappella choir of 32 voices founded and directed by Laurence Equilbey in 1991, has raised the performance of music transcribed for human voice to an art form unprecedented in modern recording. Here are two magnificent albums.
I recently heard an ORCHESTRAL version of Ravel's "Gaspard de la nuit" and it was amazing! Anyone else heard this or have it? I believe the conductor is Christoph Eschenbach - don't know who's responsible for the wonderful orchestration...
In a previous post I mentioned how many musicians/composers could envision another composer’s work in a different format, played on different instruments than those originally intended and would lavish tremendous amounts of time and care on transcribing the music to this new visualization.
Probably no composer has been transcribed into different forms more than J. S. Bach. Perhaps one of the reasons for this is that Bach’s genius resonates regardless of what instrument it is played on. I mentioned Stokowski’s classic transcriptions for full symphony orchestra of Bach’s organ music. Well, here’s something a little different. Lively, engaging, filled with boundless enthusiasm, this Bach transcribed for brass.
Heitor Villa-Lobos-1959-Forest Of The Amazon-Symphony Of The Air & Chorus-Conducted By The Author-Featuring Bidú Sayão(47:16):
01 Overture 02 Deep in the Forest 03 Excitement among the Indians 04 First Bird Song 05 Nature´s Dance 06 Second Bird Song 07 Vocalise 08 Savage War Dance 09 Sails 10 On the Way to the Hunt 11 Third Bird Song 12 Twilight Song 13 Indians in Search of the Girl 14 Fourth Bird Song 15 Head Hunters 16 Blue Dusk (Love Song) 17 Love Song (Sentimetal Melody) 18 Forest Fire 19 Finale
Imagine you're in Paris, France, in 1910. The arts are at an all-time height, never before seen in Europe. Impressionism is becoming more and more popular. You see a poster for a ballet produced by the Ballet Russes, a Russian-based ballet theater group run by Sergei Diaghilev and decide to see the upcoming premiere of The Firebird. What you don't realize is that you are about to witness musical history.
Stravinsky was, at the time, a little-known Russian composer that had briefly studied with Rimsky-Korsakov. The Firebird was a very upbeat ballet based on a Russian folk tale. Few who went to the ballet that night would ever forget the experience.
Towards the end of his life, Stravinsky regarded his three ballets as worthless and they had become nothing more than trophies for conductors to add to their repertoire. Though Stravinsky thought little of the three, mainstream audiences tend to differ. The Firebird and The Rite of Spring have been used in both Fantasia films, as well as countless other films. And all three have been performed innumerable times.
This historic recording (historic doesn’t mean lacking in sonic quality) is of Igor Stravinsky himself conducting the Columbia Symphony Orchestra in 1962 in celebration of his 82nd birthday.
IGOR STRAVINSKY Columbia Symphony Orchestra THE FIREBIRD (Complete)
Maybe you know the Alan Parsons version of The Fall of The House Of Usher. But I discovered that Debussy wrote an opera with the same name, and I heard some fragments one day and the melody was the same than the Alan Parsons'. Does anybody have a version of the Debussy's opera ?
The Symphony No. 9, in E Minor "From the New World" (Op. 95), popularly known as the New World Symphony, was composed by Antonín Dvořák in 1893 during his visit to the United States from 1892 to 1895. It is by far his most popular symphony, and one of the most popular symphonies in the modern repertory. At the Symphony's premiere at Carnegie Hall the reception was one of perpetual cheering. The end of every movement was met with thunderous clapping and Dvořák felt obliged to stand up and bow. In a letter to his publisher he stated how there was "no getting out of it, and I had to show myself willy-nilly"
No, he didn’t show his willy, he just had to stand up and wave! I’ve always considered this particular piece of music an excellent starter symphony. Otherwise known as classical music for people who don’t like (or know anything about) classical music.
Fritz Reiner’s 1957 recording on RCA’s Living Stereo is a classic well worth repeated listenings. Also included are three other pieces filled with lively rhythms and memorable melody. Original covers, booklets and artwork included.
ANTONIN DVORAK SYMPHONY #9 (From The New World) Fritz Reiner Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
A hardly known and quite underrated composer from Turkey. One of the few turkish composers who fully adopted the western symphonic idiom and eschewed his oriental music traditions. His music is very interesting and colorful and has also a strong modernist twist to it.
I recommend these strong and powerful orchestral works very highly.
okay, since i got it wrong the first time i posted this request, let me try again...I am looking for Beethoven's Symphony no.5, by Carlos Kleiber or Karajan, in as high a quality as possible(flac would be awesome, heh) any help would be much appreciated, thanks =)
Continuing with the Complete Beethoven Set. I hope everyone is enjoying this. I've had a lot of trouble uploading these pieces. Sorry about the delay:
CD 37 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JWCFV91X CD 38 http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=p9vn94kcxvb
Ruggo, I'm enjoying your comments before your posts. I think everyone is doing a terrific job on this site. Continue on giving everyone these great pieces.
We soundtrack collectors all know Nino Rota from his wonderful scores for many Italian films as others such as “The Godfather.”
Like many soundtrack composers before (and after) him, Rota took great pride in his “classical” compositions. There is a tremendous amount of crossover between Rota’s soundtrack and classical music. It is also all greatly enjoyable.
Rota's First Symphony, written over the years 1935-39, has considerable charm and appeal. It speaks directly in the late Romantic tradition, there's no hint of the avante garde writing that was beginning to occupy the attention of so many other composers at this time. The opening movement has an open-air freshness; its feet seem to be firmly rooted in the Italian soil. It opens calmly but grows increasingly animated and dramatic with color and melody. The Andante has a cloistered serenity, strings ascending heavenwards while tuba and trombones give some underpinning devotional gravity. One is reminded of the religious epic film music of Miklós Rózsa. The Scherzo is light and frothy, skipping gaily along in childlike innocence; indeed, one is reminded of childhood games and loud boisterous horseplay. The Finale is dramatic and full of conflict: dark vs light; sinister vs heroic. Any film director would be delighted to consider such material.
The Second Symphony was written mainly between 1937 and 1941, when he was teaching in Taranto in the remote, extreme south of Italy; and completed in 1975. At one point there is a faint pre-echo of the love music from Il Gattopardo (The Leopard). The Andante has its roots in plainchant, the Respighi of Concerto Gregoriano is not far away. The Final Allegro vivace is all gaiety. You feel there is a party in the village street; bells summon all to the feasting and dancing first under the hot sun and then under the stars. Much of this symphony is of the stuff that film scores are made.
The idiom on display in the Third Symphony stands squarely in the neo-classical tradition, a sort of Italianate Poulenc or Kurt Weill (from the period of the Second Symphony). Nino Rota's tuneful, expertly scored Third Symphony offers charm and wit without ever becoming facile, and sports a truly lovely slow movement. On the other hand, the tempo of the finale is brisk but not to the point where the winds have trouble tonguing the repeated notes of the principal theme. In all, this is a delightful work that ought to be played far more often, particularly by chamber orchestras.
NINO ROTA 3 SYMPHONIES Naoto Otomo and the Japan Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
@ Ruggo Thank you for all your textual introductions, and much unknown music.
@ Parzifal - Thanks for the Symphonies by Ahmed Adnan Saygun (he went folk-roots hunting with Bartók, didn't he? I must have 'buried' a piano music CD of his, too). Thank you also for the Albinoni Concertos; clever heading, my friend!
Flash news for Central Europeans who have downloaded those albums by the Accentus Chamber Choir : Coming Sunday at 7.00pm the French/German cultural channel "arte" will broadcast Trancriptions (1), the first of a two-part (45 minutes each) series, with rehearsals and performances by Accentus ... "filmé au cours d'un concert spectaculaire dans la nouvelle salle Pleyel, à Paris, et au Centre national de la danse, à Pantin." The 2nd installment is scheduled for next Sunday, 17 Feb., at the same early evening time of 07.00pm._ Repeats on 15, 21 & 27 (part 1), and on 22 & 28 February (part 2) respectively, at 8.00am. More info – in French or German, at http://www.arte.tv/fr/programmes/242,day=2,week=7,year=2008.html http://www.arte.tv/de/programm/242,date=10/02/2008.html
In an earlier post I mentioned that Leopold Stokowski had a great talent for orchestral transcriptions of solo instrumental pieces, especially the organ. Frequently called the “King OF Instruments” a good organ can almost replicate many instrumental sounds, but never the whole Symphony orchestra at one time.
Most of us were introduced to Stokowski’s genius in Walt Disney’s Fantasia where he not only conducted everything, but did many transcriptions, not the least of which was Bach’s magnificent Toccata and Fugue. Eugene Ormandy and the string-heavy Philadelphia Orchestra of old almost made a career of Stokowski’s transcriptions.
Leopold Stokowski's Orchestral Transcriptions are guilty pleasures: high-fat concoctions that are gargantuan, something like the classical equivalent of Phil Spector, but without the guns and the eventual courtroom showdown. It is crucial to almost underplay them; they will speak for themselves.
The transcriptions are not particularly complicated and lack anything even vaguely revolutionary in their tonality. What we get is a wall of string tone carrying the melodies, usually, with brass and winds used for focus and enlarging. The famous Bach Passacaglia finds the entry of the brass reiterating the ostinato with a handsome blare, and much to the credit of conductor José Serebrier, he does not play all his cards so early in the piece. It builds and builds, and then blows us away.
The CD (not really only Bach pieces despite the title) opens with the famous Air from the 3rd Orchestral Suite of Bach. Serebrier gets just the right dark, warm sound from the low strings that one associates with a Stokowski performance. Also included on the CD are Dido's Lament (Purcell), not needing its text in such an expressive performance; a big, toasty version of the Pastoral Symphony from Messiah; and a pairing of Two Ancient Liturgical Melodies by Stokowski himself. The Bournemouth Symphony knows they're doing something popular. This is a stunning CD and the engineers have done a great job as well. I have transferred it to MP3 @ 320kps. ENJOY!
STOKOWSKI BACH TRANSCRIPTIONS BOURNEMOUTH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Jose Serbrier
Berg was a member of the Second Viennese School with Arnold Schoenberg and Anton Webern, and produced compositions that combined Mahlerian romanticism with a personal adaptation of Schoenberg's twelve-tone technique.
He was more interested in literature than music as a child and did not begin to compose until he was fifteen, when he started to teach himself music. In late February or early March of 1902 he fathered a child with Marie Scheuchl, a servant girl in the Berg family household. His daughter, Albine, was born on December 4, 1902.
Berg had little formal music education before he became a student of Arnold Schoenberg in October 1904. With Schoenberg he studied counterpoint, music theory, and harmony.
Berg studied with Schoenberg for six years until 1911. Berg admired him as a composer and mentor, and they remained close lifelong friends. Berg may have seen the older composer as a father figure, as Berg's father had died when he was only 15.
Let's celebrate his birthday with a feast of his compositions:
The Goldberg Variations, are a set of 30 variations for harpsichord by Johann Sebastian Bach. First published in 1741 as the fourth in a series Bach called "keyboard practice", the work is considered to be one of the most important examples of the variation form. It is named after Johann Gottlieb Goldberg, who it is said was the first (other than Bach) to play them.who r. Glenn Gould’s debut album of Bach’s Goldberg Variations was recorded in June 1955. It is one of the best known classical piano recordings ever, and it has been in continuous print for fifty years. But, it was locked forever in monaural sound. Until now.
Zenph Studios is creating building blocks for the musical equivalent of software you know from text and video graphics where they take audio recordings (from any source: LPs, tapes, 78s, CDs, even wax cylinders) and convert them back into the precise, keystrokes and pedal motions that would have been used to create them. This is done in a new format, which can be played back with phenomenal reality and accuracy on corresponding high-resolution computer-controlled grand pianos. Rachmaninoff, Glenn Gould, and Art Tatum can literally play "live" again.
Here’s Zenph’s re-creation of Gould’s great recording of the Variations as if the man himself were playing a couple of years ago with state of the art recording equipment. Mind blowing!
BACH: THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS GLENN GOULD (1955/2006)
And, in keeping with our previous postings of transcriptions, here are two more recordings of the Goldberg Variations transcribed in one for BRASS and in another for STRINGS. Both are marvelous interpretations of this great music and well worth collecting.
Franz Liszt has emerged as one of the most awe-inspiring figures in all of music history. Regarded by most as the greatest pianist of all time Liszt's genius extended far beyond the piano to expand musical composition and performance well beyond its 19th Century limitations. His unique compositions bewildered, inspired and inflamed the imaginations of his own era, yet quite miraculously he also laid the seeds for a series of schools that would flourish in the near and distant future, namely, the Late Romantic, Impressionist and Atonal schools. For this Liszt is unique, and his immense influence is unquestionably monumental.
Liszt devised the piano recital and master class, both indispensable to modern audiences and students respectively. He had perfect pitch, and was the first performer to play entirely from memory, thus forging today's commonplace standard. Think of how audiences respond to current rock stars and you have an idea of the idolatry he received in the concert hall. He was a star!
He invented the symphonic poem - a new and elastic single-movement form, which many subsequent composers like Richard Strauss and Saint-Saëns and Sibelius embraced. It is at the core of most contemporary and popular music forms today. In fact, soundtrack collectors might think of them as soundtracks in search of a film. Previously, all musical forms were organized and structured into several movements. Symphonies, concertos etc. were all divided into generally three to five different movements, each with varying tempos and themes that in total, complimented each other, yet all were interrupted by a pause. Liszt was bold enough to abolish this restraint and devise a single, sweeping movement that carried the listener from beginning to end, without the "dead" pauses. Many of these innovative tone poems were based upon his transformation of themes. Liszt would launch the piece with a small kernel, or musical phrase, which journeyed through various transformations, each evoking a different stage of development in regards to the specific subject being treated, thus culminating into an appropriate finale... be it soft and ethereal, as in Orpheus, triumphant, as in Tasso, or the fateful moan of the dying Hamlet. Or, my personal favorite, the triumphant Les Preludes. This contribution to music history is by itself enough to secure Liszt a golden thrown in the Pantheon of Composers yet, this is only one of many that this great master gave to the world.
Here is my new rip of Liszt’s complete symphonic poems, all 14 of them (@320kps). I have rounded out the collection by including his Hungarian Rhapsodies 1-6. Originally composed for piano these are full orchestral versions filled with incredible life.
Listening to those Gould recreations now. No doubt the technology to do all that is pretty amazing but where's the humming? It just isn't Gould without the humming! ;-)
I love classical music. However, I’m not the erudite, well-schooled aficionado that our good friend Chimesatmidnight was. For me classical music has to be an emotional, a visceral experience and the more melody and symphonic bravado, the more I like it. Give me the good old 1812 Overture with cannon and bells and full chorus over a piano sonata any day. Not that I don’t appreciate or have more esoteric pieces in my collection, I’m not particularly knowledgeable about which recordings by which conductors are considered better or worse than others. I just know what I like and want to share it.
So here’s my promise:
I’ll basically be posting classical music for people who don’t like or know anything about classical music in Chimez’s Hall. Most will be rips from my CD collection. I’ll try to give a little background to the music/composer because I always think the back-story can make things more interesting. You are welcome to share my links and post them elsewhere. But more importantly, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Today’s posting in Chimez’s Classical Hall are a number of works by Rimsky-Korsakov, including his famous symphonic suite “Scheherazade,” based on A 1001 Nights. Spectacular!
Nikolai Andreevich Rimsky-Korsakov (1844-1908)
One of the Five, the leading group of 19th century Russian nationalist composers, Rimsky-Korsakov embarked at first on a career as a naval officer, following the traditions of his family, later resigning from the service to devote himself entirely to music. He was proficient as an orchestrator and set himself to smoothing out some of the apparent crudities in the work of some of his fellow-composers, completing and revising works such as Borodin's opera Prince Igor and much of the seemingly uneven writing of Mussorgsky. He was respected as a teacher, his pupils including the young Stravinsky. Most generally known for his orchestral compositions, Rimsky-Korsakov wrote songs and choral music, chamber music and works for piano. His textbook on orchestration has been widely if not always wisely used.
Scheherazade is based on the tales told by the princess Scheherazade, represented by a solo violin, in her effort to postpone the sentence of death declared on her by her master, the Caliph.
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV SCHEHERAZADE Op. 35 Vienna Philharmonic/ Andre Previn http://rs325l32.rapidshare.com/files/91086865/Rimsky-Korsakov_-_Scheherazade_op.35.part1.rar
Heres a repost of an exchange between Chimezatmidnight and Scoredaddy that also serves as a request.
chimzatmidnight said... MAGNUS LINDBERG: CLARINET CONCERTO, GRAN DUO & CHORALE
Kari Krikku, klarinet | Finnish RSO, Sakari Oramu, cond.
(link provided no longer active)
One of the more acclaimed new pieces of music out of anywhere (even Finland), Magnus Lindberg continues to just plain amaze and delight.
scoredaddy said... @chimezatmidnight I love the Lindberg. do you have any more? Do you happen to have this one? http://www.amazon.com/Music-Magnus-Lindberg-Salonen/dp/B000
chimezatmidnight said... scoredaddy,
I know but don't have that recording. What I can upload if you'd like is his Feria/Corrente II/Arena compilation.
It's such a pleasure to share with you -- and everyone!
isbum says... The above is just a reminder of how Chimez loved sharing music and friendship.
Perhaps the above requested music can be found and posted one day.
First of all, I don’t believe it. This is self-billed as the #1 Classical Album of 2008. Not my designation by a long shot. But I’m a lover of compilations and the variety they provide.
I also like the fact that soundtrack composers are represented here because I think they are as “classical” as the more esoteric purveyors of good music. I also love the fact that we have everyone on here from Mario Lanza to Haley Westenra to Sting.
These are primarily vocal tracks and all “great stuff.” (That’s a classical music technical term for some good shit.)
DISC 1 1 Sancta Maria - Jenkins, Katherine 2 Con Te Partiro (Time To Say Goodbye) - Bocelli, Andrea 3 Caruso - Il Divo 4 Nessun Dorma - Pavarotti, Luciano 5 Sancte Deus (Nimrod) - All Angels 6 La Califfa - Watson, Russell 7 Where Do I Begin - Garrett, Lesley 8 Oh My Heart - Oldfield, Mike 9 Going Home - Martin, Will 10 Flow My Tears - Sting 11 Shenandoah - Westenra, Hayley 12 Prayer - RyanDan 13 Briony - Marianelli, Dario 14 Amapola - Florez, Juan Diego 15 Non Ti Scordar Di Me - Christos, Jon 16 Moonlight Serenade - Zimmer, Hans 17 Core 'Ngrato - Boe, Alfie 18 Bess You Is My Woman Now - Bendetti, Nicola 19 Primavera - Einaudi, Ludovico 20 Sabre Dance - Vanessa-Mae
DISC 2 1 Amazing Grace - Fron Male Voice Choir 2 Nella Fantasia - Potts, Paul 3 Yo Te Voy A Amar - Blake 4 Tonight - Westenra, Hayley & Vittorio Grigolo 5 Volare - G4 6 World In Union 2007 - All Stars 7 Sailing - Royal Scots Dragoon Guards 8 My Little Welsh Home - Jones, Aled 9 Eternal Source Of Light Divine - Thomas, Elin Manahan 10 Towards The Light - Hawes, Patrick 11 Toreador Song - Terfel, Bryn 12 Pie Jesu - Lloyd Webber, Julian 13 Be My Love - Lanza, Mario 14 Ave Maris Stella - Sixteen 15 Quando Men Vo - Netrebko, Anna 16 Traumerei - Lang Lang 17 Inspector Morse Theme - Johnson, Emma 18 Romanza - Cortes 19 Flight Of The Bumblebee - Garrett, David 20 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Choirboys
I do have a request if anyone can upload the following:
Holst: The Planets / R. Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra by Gustav Holst, Richard Strauss, William Steinberg, and Boston Symphony Orchestra (Audio CD - 2001) - Original recording remastered
Sort of a follow up to the Symphonic Poems of Franz Liszt, here are his two symphonies. Both filled with sound and fury and as the titles would imply, lots of dramatic intensity.
It was Fresno in 1958. The armpit of the world. The Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo came to town. Of course, they weren’t going to present a full-length ballet to the local farmers. Probably would require too much concentration and besides, all those guys in tights with strange looking codpieces prancing around with ladies in tutus would be a little difficult to digest. So, instead, they presented a number of short pieces which would highlight the troop’s athleticism and spectacular costumes. I can remember everything ending up with an encore presentation of Khachaturian’s “Sabre Dance.” An excellent choice for a community with a large Armenian population. My first ballet was quite memorable, but I was more impressed by the music than the tired, well-traveled dancers.
Aram Khachaturian was the much-loved Soviet composer of Armenian background, who continued the vein of colourful Russian exoticism from 19th century composers like Borodin and Rimsky-Korsakov. Khachaturian studied at Gnessin Institute and Moscow Conservatoire under Glière and Myaskovsky Most famous for ballets Gayaneh and Spartacus, performed worldwide by the Bolshoy and Kirov companies during the Soviet period Many concertos include those for piano (1936) and violin (1940), the latter written for and championed by David Oistrakh. His three symphonies are of epic, almost filmic character, with very grand and kaleidoscopic orchestration.
Look up “lively” in the musical dictionary and you’ll see a picture of Khachaturian.
ARAM KHACHATURIAN EXERPTS: GAYANEH/MASQUERADE/SPARTACUS Bolshi Symphony Orchestra Alexander Lazarev
Sergei Rachmaninoff was born on April 1, 1873, on a large estate near the ancient city of Novgorod, Russia. His father was an army officer and his mother was a wealthy heiress. His father gambled, drank, and squandered his wife's money. He deserted his family when Sergei was nine years old.
By all accounts Young Sergei was a problem child, but had an extraordinary talent at the piano. At age nine he entered the College of Music in St. Petersburg. Because of his natural gift, Sergei did not bother to study.
In 1909, Rachmaninoff made his first visit to the United States, receiving an enthusiastic welcome. Afterwards, he visited America once every season. Rachmaninoff died on March 28, 1943, only a few weeks after attaining his American citizenship, and five days before his seventieth birthday. During his career Rachmaninoff wrote 145 compositions, including piano concertos and symphonies.
Modern audiences received mass exposure to Rachmaninoff’s genius in the movie, “Shine” where his impossibly difficult 3rd Piano Concerto becomes the particular nemesis of the protagonist.
For a man known as a piano prodigy and great symphonic composer, it is surprising that he wrote only four works combining the two: three piano concertos and the incomparable “Rhapsody On A Theme By Paganini.” New rip @320kps.
SERGEI RACHMANINOFF COMPLETE WORKS FOR PIANO & ORCHESTRA Rafael Orozco: Piano Edo de Wart: Royal Philharmonic
And for the older film and soundtrack lovers among us: Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto was used thoughout David Lean's memorable “Brief Encounter”[*] — but had also delighted Marilyn Monroe, during that hot & humid summer in “The Seven Year Itch”[¹]... ___ ___ ___
[¹] (Relevant excerpt from a review):
- ‘Every time I hear it I go to pieces!’
Thus exclaims a breathless Marilyn Monroe in the movie, The Seven Year Itch. As the character Candy Kane, she is listening to Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, one of the most sensuous and romantic pieces of music ever written.
Even if you're not inclined towards classical music, you'd probably recognize some of the tunes from this beautiful piano concerto. Three best-selling pop singles were created out of its lush melodies: “Full Moon and Empty Arms” was popularized by crooners Frank Sinatra and Perry Como, “I Will Bring You Music” was a later adaptation, and in 1976 Eric Carmen extracted yet a third song to hit the pop charts, entitling it “All By Myself (Don't wanna be all by myself).”
Other stars besides Monroe have had their on-screen passions ignited and highlighted by the surging melodies of Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto. This list of lovers includes Greta Garbo, John Barrymore, Elizabeth Taylor, Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour in such films as “Grand Hotel”, “I've Always Loved You”, “Rhapsody”, “September Affair”, and “Somewhere in Time.” ___ ___ ___
[*] You may glance at http://www.filmsite.org/brie.html
@ ruggo - Better go easy on di. Look at that picture. I think he's even older than you! ;) PS- ruggo, did you go by the name "opinionated" over at the F@M chat board?
@ Ruggo - Nope, I'm experienced enough to be careful. But never again will I follow this unreliable procedure, which fails me for the 2nd time: I simply threw the lot (as I usually do when there are many auto-divided ".partx.rar" links) into the 'Rapid Tools > Link Checker' mill. The answer came out negative for the first two parts. Go figure! My fault Ruggo, sorry for it. I now have dld all your Rachs.
@ Isbum - Thanks for raising up a protection shield for me; for I may indeed be the sum, in years, of two or three Franklynot regulars (especially if one starts counting from... Kazhakstan)! But I can take a blow or two actually :-) BTW - Wished though that I'd have a 10th of Leos Janácek's hair on my scalp -- 'cause it's his picture, not mine!
Ruggo - I know you are a big classical fan like myself. I was wondering if you or knew anyone that had the complete works of Chopin. I've been looking for that for a while. I've got many complete works, but not that. Many of the cds I've seen around blogs are of Mazurkas, Preludes, Etudes, etc., etc., etc., but nothing complete. Can you help me?
Thanks a lot, and please if you have any requests, send them on down. I'm sure I might be able to help you out.
Sorry I don't have complete Chopin. Like you, I have a tendency to be a completist and it always bugs me to have bits and pieces.
However, I am currently burning a couple sets of CDs (9) for my concert pianist friend which feature Thibaudet playing the complete solo piano music of SATIE and DEBUSSEY.
If you are interested in any of that, I can rip and upload.
• François René Dushable · Etudes, op. 10 = complete · Etudes, op. 25 = complete
• Georges Cziffra: · 2 Chants Polonais - Transcription de Liszt · Sonatas Nos. 2 and 3 · Barcarolle, Op. 60 · Bolero, Op. 19 · Tarantelle, Op. 43 · 4 Polonaises - Oppi 40(/1 & /2), 44 and 53 · Polonaise-Fantaisie · Impromptus = complete
• Emanuel Ax: · Sherzos = complete · Six Mazurkas - Var. Oppi
• Maria -João Pires: · The two Piano Concertos Orchestre National de l’Opéra de Monte Carlo, conducted by Armin Jordan [Erato, (P) 1978]
• Janusz Olejniczak playing... on Chopin's own piano (Pleyel 1831): · 2 Preludes, · 4 Mazurkas · 1 Etude · 1 Polonaise · 1 Nocturne · 1 Waltz Plus... · Larghetto, from Piano Concerto No. 2 · Marche funèbre, from Piano Sonata No. 2 Christoph Coin conducts the Ensemble Mosaïques -- on period instruments. _________________________
A Note: I owe so much (material & immaterial) to many of you Franklynot-ians, that – no excuse whatsoever – I pledge to make this my personal project, and start contributing. But, please, to help me out keep my promise: Expect no more than one disc a day! That'll be my own ‘set’ minimum and, who knows, I may also be stealing some... redundant spare time in order to make it up to 1½ CD!
Hmm, that sounds more rational than say, "a little bit pregnant" [triple :-)]
I'll try to contain my perfectionism, too. Am unable to upload "Track01, Track02 etc" (no offence), or not to include as many extras as I can. So, for this project I'll adopt a minimum of info: No scans of booklets, no html lists of tracks; senza fioriture but all fully tagged and with a hi-res cover art.
Additionally, I will not upload individual parts. You can request anything of the above now, and it'll come with the remaining contents of that particular disc – tutto completo! It goes without saying that I shall be posting here the list of works (not necessarily a tracklist).
What are you waiting for? I'm done with setting out the parameters
I'm at your temperate disposal. Honest! "Cross my heart and... hope to live another day"!
That sounds great! I hardly have any Satie, and you can't go wrong with Debussey. So far with my complete collections I have Beethoven (of course), Mozart, Bach, most of Copland/Scriabin and John Williams. Others I have a majority of pieces, but not even close to complete.
I also saw that 'Brillant Collections' is coming out with a complete Brahms sometime soon. So I'm looking forward to purchasing that.
Again for you guys, think of some requests and I'll see what I can do.
Claude Debussy exercised widespread influence over later generations of composers, both in his native France and elsewhere. He was trained at the Paris Conservatoire, and decided there on a career as a composer rather than as a pianist, his original intention. His highly characteristic musical language, thoroughly French in inspiration, extended the contemporary limits of harmony and form with a remarkably delicate command of nuance, whether in piano writing or in the handling of a relatively large orchestra.
In his writing for the piano, Debussy proved himself a successor to Chopin, who had died in Paris thirteen years before Debussy's birth. His own debt to Chopin was overtly expressed in his two books of etudes (Studies), completed in 1915. The two Arabesques, early works, enjoy continued popularity, as does the Suite bergamasque, with its all-too-popular 'Clair de lune'. Estampes (Prints) evokes the Far East in 'Pagodes', Spain in 'La soire dans Grenade' (Evening in Granada), and autumnal sadness in 'Jardins sous la pluie' (Gardens under the Rain), while L'isle joyeuse turns to Watteau for inspiration. Two sets of Images offer further delicate pictures, while the two books of Preludes offer still more varied images, from 'La fille aux cheveux de lin' (The Girl with Flaxen Hair) and 'La cathdrale engloutie' (The Submerged Cathedral) to the final 'Feux d'artifice' (Fireworks). The single La plus que lente (More than slow) of 1910 and the light-hearted Children's Corner Suite form a further part of a larger series of works.
DEBUSSY COMPLETE WORKS FOR SOLO PIANO JEAN-YVES THIBAUDET
For some people, Erik Satie is known as an eccentric who gave his works odd titles that seem almost derisive and ridiculous: Chilled Pieces, Drivelling Preludes (for a Dog), Dried up Embryos ...
Many believe that this was not only a result of his bizarre wit but also a way of offending the music critics at the time. It was known that Satie didn't like music critics and that the feelings were mutual.
Those performing his works are well aware of his weird instructions to the performer.The instructions are meant as a dialogue between the composer and the performer only: To whoever. I forbid anyone to read the text aloud during the musical performance. Failure to obey to my instruction will provoke my just indignation against anyone so presumptuous. No exception to this rule will be granted. From the short piano piece, titled Vexations (1893)
Even though Satie was a fascinating person in many ways, it is his music that is the major reason for his popularity. He was very creative and had a great influence on his colleagues Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel and Francis Poulenc. Because his music was ahead of his time and regarded as timeless, he also has great influence on many modern composers. His most famous works are the serene Gymnopédies (three similar piano pieces), the mystical Vexations (short piano piece repeated 840 times), the popular piano suite Trois Morceaux en forme de Poire (duet), the ballet Parade (with some very odd instruments) and the ballet Relâche (with film sequences included).
His music was rather unknown and underrated until the 1960s. His popularity has grown ever since.
ERIC SATIE COMPLETE WORK FOR SOLO PIANO Jean-Yves Thibaudet
@ Shane & Ruggo More piano music: Frédéric Chopin, 1st installement...
Remarks: Incl. a 3% Recovery record in this one, all the rest come with 5% Rr. Must've been daydreaming yesterday, when I started making the scans; forgot to reset the resolution, so that today's images are small [@ only 72dpi]. I promise to upload high resolution front covers at the end of this project. Thanks for your patience.
CHOPIN - 2 Concertos pour Piano (Maria-João Pires) http://rapidshare.com/files/95621545/CH_PRS_PC1.rar http://rapidshare.com/files/95627358/CH_PRS_PC2.rar
... will continue today, with *five* additions.
Enjoy, in moderate portions! :-) ___
Note that all of these discs will be extracted into a main one and, then, in their respective sub-directories.
I should just call in sick from work and download all of this music for my listening pleasure. I can't wait to download them all. Thank you so much! Di(aphanous, I can't wait for your next installments.
1991 saw a 'twin' release of this very same disc: In record stores it could be found both at the Classical Music section -- figuring under the title "Genuine Chopin - Janusz Olejniczak playing on Chopin's own piano (Pleyel 1831)" -- as well as on the Soundtracks' racks, being the OST to a Chopin biopic, called "La Note Bleue"! Thus, I have also included that fancier front cover here, because mine is of the more 'conservative' kind.
CHOPIN - Janusz Olejniczak playing on Chopin's own piano: http://rapidshare.com/files/95723735/CH-JO_BN1.rar http://rapidshare.com/files/95692558/CH-JO_BN2.rar
Surely not the best interpretation, and a modern Steinway of Bössendorf sounds 'oh so very brilliant' to our ears. But listening to the intimate fortepiano sonorities of Chopin's era (moreover, in this case, Chopin's miniature paintings played on his own instrument) is a totally unique experience. Allow yourself to dreamily immerse into a long-gone sensual atmosphere of early 19th century candle-lit living quarters. A melancholic, pale young friend creates music just for you! And the muted urban sounds of a small town can hardly penetrate the thick walls. Imagine! ___
I don't see in here my 'Big Thanks', expressed for your Claude Debussy / Jean-Yves Thibaudet uploads. I have greatly appreciated these sets. I wish I could offer you a French bottle of wine!
Oh what the heck, Ruggo, I can afford it! For a couple of extra "ancients francs" they can be sun-tanned and wear the original banana skirts. Would you pick up the insurance bill?
I forgot the postscript/warning: Mind you... a clause in their contracts prohibits them hitch-hiking, or entering a Mustang! ;-)
I’ll be singing Schubert in concert Friday night. But I won’t subject you to that. You have all become too friendly of a community to alienate at this point.
However, in honor of staged music (or concert for that matter), here are some of the world’s greatest opera choruses.
From a singer’s standpoint, you can’t really beat the basic simplicity of an opera chorus. By-in-large they are written without much consideration to complex harmonies and polyphonic fireworks. Sometimes, unison is best to get the most out of your lower compensated vocal resources. Invariably, the chorus has a great melody and, if you’re really lucky, lots of sound and fury without too much stomping around while you’re trying to sing.
I love opera choruses. And here are some of the greatest.
GRAND & GLORIOUS OPERA CHORUSES Robert Shaw Atlanta Symphony Orch. & Choruses
1. Happy We!- Handel 2. When I Am Laid In Earth/With Drooping Wings - Purcell 3. Zhivi I Zdravstvui - Moussorgsky 4. Les Voici - Bizet 5. O Welche Lust! - Beethoven 6. Wach'auf! - Wagner 7. Treulich Gefuhrt - Wagner 8. Begluckt' Darf Nun Dich -Wagner 9. Freudig Begrussen Wir - Wagner 10.Le Fosche Notturne Spoglie - Verdie 11. Que Interminabile Andirivieni!-Donizetti 12. Zitti, Zitti - Verdi 13. Va, Pensiero - Verdi 14. Regina Coeli -Mascagni
I didn't get to say how grateful I am that you gave us Chopin music. I just finally got a chance to download the pieces, and I thank you very much. When I get a chance (away from my job), I'm going to post some more complete sets for you guys and everything else.
Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing what else you and Ruggo have up your sleeve.
@ filmpack - Thanks! I'm downloading it right now. @ Shane - You're most welcome! ___ @ ANY + the above: A small suggestion... It does help and also makes it more attractive (not to say "more accessible"), if you could mention the name of the musical pieces too. ___
• Artur Rubinstein: The Chopin Collection (Part 2)
Here is the final instalment of this 11-disc set. Next I will upload the "Etudes" and a brilliant, more recent edition of the "Preludes" — a French 'touch', this time.
• Artur Rubinstein: The Chopin Collection (Part 3 of 3)
· CHOPIN - “Waltzes” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 9) http://rapidshare.com/files/98393295/CH-ARB_WLZ1.rar http://rapidshare.com/files/98390424/CH-ARB_WLZ2.rar ___ · CHOPIN - “Impromptus etc” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 10) http://rapidshare.com/files/98387054/CH-ARB_IMP1.rar http://rapidshare.com/files/98379911/CH-ARB_IMP2.rar [incl. "Barcarolle", "Trois Nouvelles Etudes, Op.Posth.", "Bolero", "Berceuse", "Tarentelle", and "Andante Spianato et Grande Polonaise Brillante"] ___ · CHOPIN - “Preludes + 1946” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 11) _[The 24 Preludes, Op. 28; monophonic recording of 1946]_ http://rapidshare.com/files/98376634/CH-ARB_PRLD.rar + _[1946 recordings of Sonata No. 2, Berceuse, Barcarolle]_ http://rapidshare.com/files/98372216/CH-ARB_1946.rar __________________________
Unrelated to my Chopin project but just as Romantic!
This one is first and foremost for Chimezatmidnight:
Jascha Horenstein conducts the Vienna Symphony Orchestra • Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 1, “Titan” http://rapidshare.com/files/98748498/Jascha.Gustav1.part1.rar http://rapidshare.com/files/98740855/Jascha.Gustav1.part2.rar
Note: Monophonic recording of 1953 [ADD]. My rip @320 kb/s, with 5% recovery record.
It comes from a 2-disc set. (On CD2: Same year, same giant conductor, same Mahler's own ‘Wiener’ orchestra play the Original Version of Bruckner's Symphony No. 9, too.)
· the scanned booklet and tray covers can be found here... http://rapidshare.com/files/98757255/Jascha.Gustav_Anton.rar ___
Well of course – if there is interest, I could also upload the Bruckner CD.
I just can't believe it. There is so much magnificent music man has created, yet mercilessly short lives we have, we simply can not leave this world by claiming :"I've heard it all" :((
Our dear friend @parzival had a great share earlier by the Turkish composer Ahmed Adnan Saygun. Many thanks to his great share as well as all the beautiful generosity we experience here.
Few years ago during a leisure/business travel to Istanbul I had received this CD as a gift. I guess if it were an LP, it would've turned gray by now :)
Yunus Emre Oratorio by Ahmed Adnan Saygun. Booklet-covers incld. @320
What is quite remarkable is Mr. Saygun is the product of the newly formed Turkish Republic which was merely removed a few years after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire.
The contrasting environment of the early Turkish Republic and the social and art life of the Ottoman Empire are not only vastly different but quite remarkable. The enclosed booklet is quite an interesting read because it gives a very accurate portrayal of the mindset and the intentions of the reforms accomplished in the mere 12-15 years of the two totally different nations, yet of the same people.
The music here is beautiful and quite easy to like; it could easily make a "great soundtrack".
Enjoy the music and the little capsule of history present in the booklet.
Please note: The links below are marked incorrectly by me:
PART 2 is really part 1 and thus part 3 really is part 2.
Thank you so very much for the notes, as well as the music. I visited this page in haste, before shutting down my PC, so this was a fine surprise.
PS You can praise Parzival as much as you like, for my part — I'm taken with him. By the way... because at times Parzival is not very meticulous, and I've yet to post the following at his blog's comments:
You can find the front cover of the two Saygun Symphonies (plus info on the performers, if you look for it), at... http://www.cduniverse.com/images.asp?pid=6513762&style=classical&image=front&title=Rasilainen+%2F+Rheinland%2DPfalz+State+Orch+%2F+Saygun+%2D+Saygun%3A+Symphony+No+1+%26+2+%2F+Rasilainen%2C+Et+Al+CD
@ isbum - Invariably you manage to come up with the wisest funny comments!
I meant “... the funniest wise comments” ;-) [times 2]
From the bit I know of Parzi, I wonder if he'd follow his inclination; and so, instead of a Caribbean sunset, he'll insert wild bushes and rose-thorns in his treatment of Love Scenes (just a dissonant touch). I'm all for it!
Thanks my friend, I'm glad you liked the Saygun Symphonies! Also thanks a lot for that Saygun-supplement you generously added - very, very interesting (though I liked the more accessable [?] Symphonies somewhat better).
@ di(aphanous
You wouldn't know how long it took me to get rid of being "meticulous" (and what high price it cost)... For what it's worth, my instincts still like to push me towards being "meticulous", but then I make a conscious effort and just let go... Feels good to ease up eventually. No wonder I hated college more with every year I spent (wasted?) there. ;)
@ isbum
Fear not, the covers are on their way and should hit stores on sunday. If things go well, you can even choose between two different versions (in case my favorite choice will be dismissed as too edgy or offbeat, or too plain melancholly...):) And for those of us who have already listened to the superb compilation I pose the rhethorical questions: Would a pacific sundown with butterflies and hummingbirds in the background suit the music? And if yes, would I be the right one to design such sappy covers...? ;)
@ parzival - It's a serious collection of music. I am certain you will give it a serious cover. On a side note, the neighbor across from me went through a very public breakup. His girlfriend brought several big dudes and a Sheriff's Deputy to get her belongings back. The following day, his mom came by and said the wrong things, so he threw her out and proceeded to break every dish in his kitchen.
Don't let the misleading label of "Studies" fool you! These works are not merely finger exercises. Their colours and shifting moods are not technicalities here, but all-encompasing human. From then "tender" to the "thunder-ous", I would say.
• Chopin - “Etudes” (François-René Duchable) [uploaded in two complete and independed parts]
Well, it has been awhile. And I gave my neurotoxic brain a few remedial chances to figure out how to do this again.
I'm happy -- ecstatic -- that my first post on returning is the music I most requested here and elsewhere. Sunday night the illustrious Dr. Isabella Rossellini arrived with something for my daughter: an actual MGM/UA VHS issue of Dreamchild.
As daughter was watching it for the second time last night, I had such a yearning for David Del Tredici's Final Alice. I found it -- one seed, no peers -- on you know where. I went fishing, it bit and I reeled it in.
So here it is: Del Tredici's complete Final Alice with a unique Barbara Hendricks performance and a first rate Solti leading the CSO in their mutual prime.
Oh, Chimezatmidnight, and I'm happy to be the first in line to welcome you!
Chance[?] has it that your bring along a present which, as you might have read on another page, I was eager to find for you... way back last year (it still upsets me not knowing where I have hidden it, no doubt together with some other LPs).
Haven't listened to Final Alice for the last six or seven years, and I anticipate my renewed joy in doing so this evening.
Thank you so very much!
PS - Beware that the traffic here is, for the moment, less busy than it was in the earliest weeks of Eden... So please, don't feel too disappointed if you only get one or two responses.
Being here's the reward -- whether the poster's wanted or not!
I am going through A Lot Of Mahler for you. And I am tempted to post both the Wit and Boulez 8th Symphonies for the heck of it. I'll start with what's OOP but I may make an oops. (Damn chemo brain.)
I do have a request (as I pore slowly through everyone's posting and send square footage of my hard drive packing).
Does anyone have any Granville Bantock to put up? I keep thinking I have some and it has slipped under my floorboards with all my LPs...
1) Point taken, about the reward being... well, being here. I can think it, but not "feel" that that's enough — especially now, a period in which I maintain a few too many unresponsive relations.
2a) Halt! No offence: Thank you but "no, thanks", not more Mahler for me! Apart from having twice the complete symphonies – Edo de Waart (Netherlands Phil.) & Eliahu Inbal (with the "Berliner", though I can't find the box) – I also have them loose (Horenstein cond. the 9th, plus Bernstein, Maazel, Haitink, Mehta, Vonk, Szell). In fact, checking what still happened to be in my bookcase – and not stored away in carton boxes — I found a 2nd disc of Horenstein / Mahler's first (on Unicorn-Kanchana this time, as one of these two transfers had a better sound). Oh, and did I mention the Song-Cycles? No time, my friend. Had promised myself a Del Tredici evening, but yesterday I did not manage to taste it.
2b) A single exception to the above: I continue to opt and will never cease to welcome: Any, and as many, Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen.
3) And one recommendation, if it's missing from your stock: Mahler's 4th, with the incomparable Concertgebouw / Haiting / Ameling ticket.
4) I'm sorry, unable to be of assistance in your Granville Bantock quest.
Reading again my previous comments, I see that I sound too bloody business-like. Apologies. Nothing to do with "coolness"; I am just a little bit upset in general at the moment, maintaining a few too many unresponsive relations.
@ isbum - Read Parzival.
@ Parzival - I second, not simply because of how Partch sounds similar... to your nick-name in German (right or wrong, I always read it as "Pártchy-Fahl" in my mind).
Very happy to see that you knew and appreciated the Haitink/Ameling. I have this on CD, if you'd like it for an audio-comparison to your LP . Bruckner's 8th? YES and THANK YOU! As I said on the last line of my post above [March 11, 2008 11:13 AM], I already have his 9th. Looking forward to Schumann, too. Regarding Lyritas, I'not going to be repeating ad infinitum my non-victorious struggle with time. I must become very choosey. So if you have one or two things of what I've never heard before – but would love to discover... => Ernest John Moeran's Symphony in G mn (Boult), or, the Thea Musgrave album (Concerto for Orchestra, Clarinet Concerto, Horn Concerto, Monologue, Excursions). But, please, take your time. Rozhdestvensky/Prokofiev: I will have to pass, for the "known reason".
...Now you reminded me of this: Somewhere, where, I must have the Shostakovich operetta / musical "Moskva, Cheremushki", by Rozhdestvensky. Anyway I've been planning to upload soon, a Shostakovich double-bill sountrack.
Have you paid a visit to my miserably neglected “Temporary Shelter” blog? You might be interested in at least Berio/Berberian, Gianni Schicchi, and the Hadjidákis "Gioconda's Smile. Unpronounceable, so just copy/paste it http://riparoprovvisorio.blogspot.com/
That was not the first Mahler recording I had... but just as importantly it was the first out of the Walter/Bernstein ethos.
I will be your privileged guest. Right now I am going through a welter of interesting tests to see if a limited stem cell transplant is timely... so I am not online as much now as I expect to be soon.
If you'd like faster access to that Moskva on Chandos, I would be happy to post it soon: it is on my nightstand in the middle of a short pile of CDs I want to re-add to my harddrive.
I'm strangely pleased that you seek what I don't have: sometimes another person's passion is quietly thrilling.
All I have with Thea Musgrave is a snapshot together from a friend's concert at Queens College. I do have two other recordings of the Moeran, the recent Naxos and the premiere on Dutton.
@ chimezatmidnight - My roommate sang your version of "Under the Sea" last night and I nearly fell off my chair laughing so hard. It's pure joy seeing you having fun here again my friend!
Chimesatmidnight, it’s good to have you back where you belong.
Last year I was lucky enough to sing the bass solo part for a concert performance of Beethoven’s Choral Fantasia (which is sort of his 9th Symphony try-out in pmore or less piano concerto form with choral ending).
The pianist was Pino Dovalis Benetatos (Ms. Penny), a good friend who will be performing again soon with another pianist in a concert of pieces for two pianos.
Recently she shared with me one of her favorite albums and I want to share it with you here. This is really something unique. Instead of solo instrument and orchestra, it is two pianos.
GEORGE GERSHWIN RHAPSODY IN BLUE/CONCERTO IN F Katia & Marielle Labeque (pianists)
Jee-sus! What's happening here? I see all around me big smiles, and little tables with cakes, candies, a bowl with fruit salad, and a carafe with grappa. Are you literally having a Greek symposium?
@ Ruggo and Shane - My concluding Chopin upload: • Copin - “Preludes” (played by Samson François) http://rapidshare.com/files/101261687/CH-SF_PREL.rar
@ Chimez, half-jokingly, I think I'm hallucinating – great and lesser minds cross paths:
1) One of Shostakovich's soundtracks I mentioned earlier (and had it up in my sleeve) was indeed "New Babylon". Never mind, my version will end up at my blog, coupled with "Golden Hills" — 'done' by Gennady Roz, if you please.
2) A week ago I ripped Stephen Sondheim's "Sunday in The Park..." (staged, with Peters and Patinkin) to iPod's mp4 format, for my daughter. Thought of trying to isolate its audio, and post it at isbum's upcoming DownTown; but then you serve us an even hotter(?) meal ;-( Do you plan to do the same with "Into the Woods"? I have the DVD, but found the OBC recording somewhere at only 128kb/s.
Was perhaps Skalkottas a bait for me? I surely fell for it. I AM Greek; and these 'light' dances of his I only had on a now lost cassette.
I don't know where to start; so, Thank you for that, and for Hamlet (what a film - slash "movie" - was that! I, the forgetful one, I can now dare type that actor's name by heart, even if I should write it wrongly as... Innokenty Smoktunovskyi).
Would you mind to reconvert and re-upload the last five tracks of Hamlet?
Track #18 contains "plops" that I could not correct (from 3:07 till the end). Chunks of music are missing from tracks #19 & #20. And the Nos. 23-25 seem to be empty.
@ Parzival - Immensely grateful for your Feldman quartet!
Were you also "Dreaming Of A White... Easter"? I almost had a road accident on my - and my company's – way to the theatre, last evening. Survived by a hair! Thank God, the Greek-Orthodox one falls at the end of April. ___
@ Chimezatmidnight - Thanks for straighting up Hamlet's limb.
Am listening to Skalkottas' works at this moment. I consider it a BPP (Big Personal Present, as everything's subjective) that merits an honorary 'Thank You'.
Amazed yet again, how fresh it all sounds! Shame he's so little known; on the other hand... nobody's ever been disappointed having made his acquaintance. Some consolation in that, isn't there?
Thanks, glad someone enjoys Feldman. It took me many years to fully appreciate his works - now I love 'em.
Easter sucked (also weather-wise), but since I ain't got a car, I didn't have much trouble - except being poor and not able to turn on the heat is a drawback, too...;)
@ chimezatmidnight
So good to have you back here. Thanks so much for the Skalkottas; some months ago someone requested something by Sklakottas at my blog and I was ashamed not to be able to help out. Very interesting composer, great to expand my kowledge. Thanks again.
What a class hatrick, chimez! Why, that Leifs is FANTASTIC! How am I supposed to digest so much great music in so short a time? Thanks, your stocks really hold amazing things!
=> A Very Personal Project: 13 works by "LJ", plus 1 by "AD".
• The Non-Operatic Side of Leos Janácek http://rapidshare.com/users/KSHDH2
To those not accustomed to enjoy Classical Music, I would recomment only the joyful “Sinfonietta” — because it won't please me to disappoint anybody, particularly isbum's friends.
If after that thorough exaltation you feel up to it: You may move on, to the beautiful but darker "Missa Glagolskaya", which also has vocal inputs. Finally, perhaps you could also add the good-hearted "Lachian Dances".
As for the more adventurous grown-up kids among us, there is "Rikadla" (Nursery Rhymes); sparkled with enough dissonance to satisfy a Parzival. ___
If one cares to know me better (though I don't see why anyone of you should): My most detailed portrait is painted in the Piano-cycle "On the Overgrown Path" — high-lights and shadows accentuated, as if I were a manic-depressive. Regrettably though there's one, life-saving omission: My ever-present sense of humour is hidden behind the core of my soul, tenderly melancoly "Madonna of Frydek". ___
A few additional remarks: · This compilation was made about two years ago, for personal use, and was suitable to fit onto a 74-minute CD-R. As it was too large at 320 kbps, I reverted to using a 256kb/s for all albums. But then, having too much of free space (the flip side of the coin), I decided to place a Drorák composition at the end of Janácek's ... · I'm hoping to add at least one more work to the above, that I feel is essential. · The “Sinfonietta” archive contains Word docs of a self-made inlay & tray back (as well as a cover variant for black "floppy" CD-cases that I use), and an xls sheet detailing the works.
By the way: In two cases (out of 14) – for album Nos. 02 & 07 – I had uploaded the wrong "m3u" playlists. The correct(ed) ones are here http://rapidshare.com/files/102320678/2.corrected.playlists.rar
@ isbum, I'm not displeased that you haven't open (as yet?) an eBookStore. ;-)
@ Chimez - That is unfair! You monopolize the beauty of verbal expression. How can anyone else ever top that jewel of a phrase, such as yours above? I envy your mind...
I can only paraphrase you, by saying that I hope you will have many more seeds planted, that may spring up this fall (Latino-American-wise).
Do you, by any exceptional luck, have this EMI edition (with Thomas Adès, Ian Bostridge and Ruby Philogene) to be added to the LJ list? http://www.amazon.com/Janacek-Diary-One-Who-Disappeared/dp/B00005O83M
Otherwise, I'll try at another shop tomorrow. Or see if the old Palenicek's has been re-imported — who knows?
If the Saga Symphony is Leif's Alpha where he began, Edda is his Omega -- a distillation of early strengths and discovery/development of more. It is a very complete vision of the world of belief and narrative that lurks in the Old Norse Edda.
Despite how complete it is, there is no Part 2: Leifs didn't live long enough to finish this.
However, it is very complete. Still I dream about what such a Edda Part 2 would be like...
Instead, we're stuck with Leonard, Part VI.
Link One http://www.mediafire.com/?ngmwbxb34cf
Link Two http://www.mediafire.com/?gj1wleewwjz
isbum @ parsifal --
When it comes to our adoring each other (truly) --
My first Janacek experience was a reel-to-reel issue of the Sinfonietta with its occasional companion Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis. Abbado conducted.
Since then he's been at the core of my life.
My favorite opera performance was Gianni Rolandi as Sharp-Ears in the Sendak/Corsaro Cunning Little Vixen.
There is a off-the-air video of the Great Performance airing of that around which is remembered -- not fair! not fair! -- for a mess up in the orchestra which led to their having to restart the third act.
Two things are most lasting about the production. (Three if you include the Sendak poster in my bedroom. I do!) One is the subsequent publication of an excellent translation of The Adventures of Vixen Sharp-Ears illustrated with both original Sendak paintings and his set and character design paintings for the NYCO.
The other is that this was the premiere of the brilliant Yveta Synek Graff and Robert T. Jones English translation of the libretto. (They also, I believe, translated Sharp-Ears. Which is Janacek's name for the opera. The Cunning Little Vixen is the work of the well-intended but clumsy Max Brod who got it heard around the world not quite as Janacek intended -- which is just what he did for the work of his other best pal, Kafka. It took decades to clean up after Brod, yes -- but he really loved both men and helped their work make it out of Prague to Germany and beyond.)
I'm going to post Rattle's performance of that translation.
I lived for years of Mackerras who is a personal living treasure for a lot of people.
This time... he gets topped. It also helps just a little that his cast is this great with singing clearly in English -- and that The Forester -- who is all of us after a few decades of what is that thing called -- oh, life -- is Thomas Allen.
di(aphanous, all of that thinking and feeling and recollection is the result of your own eloquence and passion.
This is such an expressive place that expression breeds better expression post after post!
1) In the last words the Forester sings in the original libretto, the text is that this time he will do a better job with the Vixen's daughter "so they won't write about us in all the newspapers" -- as that is where the original stories appeared.
2) In the City Opera version he sings that this time "they won't sing about us in all the opera houses".
3) In the Rattle version he sings this time "people won't want to write an opera about us".
All quotes are approximate.
di(aphonous) --
Have you seen the animated version?
I know the score is cut but what I have seen of it is unusual and beautiful.
Janacek | The Cunning Little Vixen/The Adventures of Vixen Sharp-Ears
Rattle, BBC | Allen, Watson, Montague, Tear
Link One http://www.mediafire.com/?wvxm9dtztmj
Link Two http://www.mediafire.com/?ftxyjvyezyd
NOTE: Disk One has 33 tracks. Disk Two has 14. The files don't label them as Disk 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 so you will have to take five minutes and do that manually -- I apologize.
Cover Art (which really should be called The Stunning Little Vixen):
Chimez, how much more grateful and obliged can I be to you?
If you were a woman I would kiss you. In a roundabout fashion, please ask your Bella D(.)r(.) friend to kiss her sister. You had me all smiles, and triggered thoughts and emotions while I was still reading your "Oh, yeah" second part.
A friend of Janacek's is a friend of mine; a rather smallish circle, I guess. Haven't met anyone yet with whom I could share my enthusiasm and affection for Janacek (not just the composer but the person too). My almost 30-year old daughter, for whom once I had burned this mp3-disc (and who never purposely listens to classical music), had moved in with her boy friend about six months ago. She phoned me last week to say that she finally had opened a box with books and CDs, wherein also poor Leos had been ostracised. She told me (knowing well the effect that her words and the tone of her voice would have on me) ‘First thing was to transfer into my iPod and listen again to "Sinfonietta" — it's sooo beautiful!’
My love for Janacek took off in earnest about 25 or 30 years ago, when I had also started developing a life-long passion for post-Martha-Graham-dance. I had the privilege to befriend a highly talented choreographer who, at about that time, created two fantastic ballets on Janacek's “Sinfonietta” and “Glagolitic Mass”. [Such luck to be at the right place, and at the right time! Because of that genius of modern dance, and his choice of music, I was also initiated to Ravel's “L'enfant et les sortilèges”, Stravinsky's “Symphony of Psalms”, “Svadebka” and “L'histoire du soldat”. And to Takemitsu, Martinu, Berio, and so on, and so forth.]
Thanks, really, thanks for all the information you've provided about the Little Vixen. You even made me search for the N.Y. Times review of the performance you mentioned. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9906E4D61139F932A25757C0A967948260 ___
I have watched on the BBC the Covent Garden's production (all fine but missed some honest warmth, in my opinion), and I remember that I had attempted to record the animated version (yes, I've seen it twice). Cannot recall if I eventually succeeded in it... My first and only DVD-recorder had been repaired "thrice" when still within its warranty period. When it died, I had no heart to pay for uncertain repairs, or buy a new one. ___
It's superfluous to say that I wasn't a bit surprised to find you, sitting so comfortably, among the new companions of Musical lovers... Oh, and I entirely agree with your views, regarding the mis-appreciation of Previn. It all started with the high-brow idiots, who give a bad name to Classical Music lovers. ___
Of course I thank you for Rattle's version of the Little Vixen. Do not worry about the tracks being thrown all together. You have done it twice before, and I got crazy trying to understand and sort them out... but all in a very good mood (like arranging properly the children's toys at the end of a birthday party, ha-ha)! I now create a separate directory each time, before extracting.
I'm not a "believer", Chimez, but God bless you!
PS - I'll try to give you something back, tomorrow. I guarantee you won't have it. Big mouth me, will get slapped.
Not feeling so sunny today (despite two unprecedented biz emails) -- I need to tell you how I appreciate you, the quality of your understanding and the passion for Janacek which held keys for locks you never knew you had.
I am the same way about him.
Janacek's life is equal to his works -- and his Indian Summer passion for Kamila which created so much of the original Prague Spring is told and retold in the DNA of each of his late, great operas.
I guess it helped that my musical DNA began with Mussorgsky in the lead... and I love Janacek more and better than any other artist.
Do you know Serebrier's recordings?
I have come to love them in the last few years (and not just because it's the nearest we've got to Stoki playing LJ -- Serebrier has been quite the big boy who absorbed Stoki's light but never got lost in his shadow).
You want? You got!
There is also a new Broucek out on DG... live recording... most interested to hear it as the Keilberth (hooray for him in general) just doesn't really get it despite the joy of Wunderlich. (It's a little too broad and a lot too Brod.)
By the way... as I was reading (most emotionally) all you wrote I returned to what you wrote about your daughter...
And I turned to the couch to see mine (age 20) making a dual drawing of Sharp-Ears -- one an adaptation of our dog Muzzy -- the other one of Rinat Shaham as her. (Rini's our friend and just as we pushed her to Eschenbach to do Das Lied von Der Erde... we are coaxing her to go falcon and sing Sharp-Ears.)
Any positive/negative comments (by any downloader) on the following will be much appreciated. Not a "review", please, just one or two lines. I am extremely curious as to how Mikhael will fare. Thanks.
Judging from the silly covers (I spare you, so I did not include them) and the section "New Age / Meditation" or something like it, where I found these two treasures, I wouldn't have expected anything worth 90 seconds of my attention! It was only after reading the liner notes[¹] that I decided to buy one of them. That same evening I played the whole disc three or four times. Early next morning I went and purchased the second disc.
[¹] Quoting a few excerpts: “The art of improvisation is an art form that is largely overlooked in the world of classical music today. For most composers however, including Beethoven and Franck, it was an inseparable element of the creative process of a written composition. “Chopin composed by seeking, with his hands on the piano, what his touch suggested to the elevated sensibility of colours and emotions [...] “Contemporary accounts tell us of Liszt's electrifying improvisations. It is difficult today to imagine what it would be like, to listen to the immediacy of inspiration of Bach or Bruckner at the organ [...] “The breath of the wind, the waves of fields of wheat, the diaphanous light released from the piano – in all its dynamic range and nuances – are enclosed in titles which have been assigned afterwards. This is done not for the sake of creating images or depicting programmes, but to stimulate with a poetic seed the penetration into the essence of sound, which is – solely because it is euphonic – the bearer of joy, tranquillity, and happiness.”
That certain 'Mikhael' of both covers, hasn't got a family name — poor guy!
Having played these discs innumerable times in the course of the last 15 years, and if I were to accept his Christian name as ‘true’, I'd say the pianist could be Mikhail Pletnev (or someone of his calibre). Or... I may be fooled by my subjectivity.
Therefore if you don't want to take any "large risks" of perhaps not liking it (unknown artist, unheard-of "improvisations" in classical music), you may download one and any of these four individually split parts.
· Mikhael - “The Blue Flame” - Tracks 01 - 03 http://rapidshare.com/files/102468248/Mikhael.a1.rar
· Mikhael - “The Blue Flame” - Tracks 04 - 06 http://rapidshare.com/files/102460309/Mikhael.a2.rar
I will download all of the files and retreat for a few days as this clearly isn't anything to which anyone should react but respond... slowly and fully.
While I compose myself (which I need to do as my brains files are in the mess same as the ones I upload)for these improvisations...
Would you care for the 2 disc Serebrier Janacek set?
Those Mikhael discs may only speak of me, and have no other value. I beg of you to just sample-listen first. I mean it when I say that I don't want to disappoint anyone. --- Some more of Dmitri's Hams will follow - even if you have them :-) --- Yes, please, for the Serebrier-Janacek. Do not tempt me... ___
@ Parzival - I haven't forgotten YOU. Soon I'll make a "bridge" (?!?)
I feel as if I have stumbled into some kind of musical Algonquin roundtable, reading your dialogue.
Perhaps I should be a waiter and bring refreshments to keep the conversation as lubricated and as lucid as it has been so far.
If only I could contribute! But I am totally out of my depth, a 69-year-old neophyte, absorbing awesome words that translate into even more awesome music.
Thank you both for your erudition and elucidation. I shall continue to hover here in the background and enjoy the bounty.
• SHOSTAKOVICH (staged)- Hamlet (1932&1954) + King Lear (1941) · Hamlet, Op.32 (1932 Production - complete incidental music) · Hamlet (1954 Production - incidental music) · King Lear, Op.58a (1951 Production - complete incidental music)
Louise Winter, mezzo-soprano; David Wilson-Johnson, baritone; City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Mark Elder. Rec. 1994
An apology: I'm aware that this, as well as what I plan to follow it with, require and deserve to be accompanied by their respective liner notes. These will come, only at a later date.
LOVE THE NEW ENTRANCE TO THE NEWLY RESTORED Franklynot Downtown area!!! :)) What a great job, great art work, thanks to those for their visually stimulating efforts. :-]
Fame and greatness are usually things that come to people after many years especially to those in the world of acting... Yet Kenneth Branagh had exploded to the scene with this one, at a relatively young age.
HENRY, V. When I saw the film, I remember being very impressed, but the music was so remarkable (I felt this way as I was watching the film for the first time), I remeber humming it the entire time driving home.
I still feel the same about the score, today. I know full well that this an area of classical beauties, but since I feel that this score is a true classic, I wanted to share it here, also.
HENRY, V.
By Patrick Doyle (1989). @320kbps (Cover+tracksINCL.)...
I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do everytime I listen.
• Olga Borodina - Bolero, A Spanish Songbook http://rapidshare.com/files/102601311/OLG.BOR_Bol.1.rar http://rapidshare.com/files/102609965/OLG.BOR_Bol.2.rar
· Dmitri Shostakovich: “Spanish Songs”, Op. 100 · Mikhail Glinka: Two Songs · Aleksandr Dargomyzhsky: Three Songs · Anton Rubinstein: “Pandero” · Manuel de Falla: “7 Canciones populares españolas” · Mark Minkov: “Landscape” · Maurice Ravel: Chanson espagnole” · Enrique Granados: “La Maja dolorosa”
Olga Borodina, mezzo-soprano; Semyon Skigin, piano | (1995)
I am glad that isbum did not specify. We have a Hall for "Classical Music", thus... not exclusively for the "Western" type of it (I think)!
Today I sneak in, presenting another world of improvised music-making. Indian Classical Music. To me this ‘Pandit’ is one of my favourite musicians ever, either in the Western or the Eastern hemisphere.
• Hariprasad Chaurasia: All Time Favourites
· 01. Raag Madhmad Sarang (30 mns) ___ Alaap & Gat in Roopak Taal ___
· 02. Raag Miyan ki Malhar (30 mns) ___ Alaap & Gat in Teen Taal ___
· 03_ Rachna Pahadi (9 mns) _ Alight composision in Keharva Taal _
- Hariprasad Chaurasia[*], bansuri + Sabir Khan, tabla
[*] aka "Chourasia"; a name that I kept in the Artist tag, only because it so figures on the disc — but mostly (and I am used to it) it is spelled with an "a" & a "u", CHAURASIA.
772 comments:
1 – 200 of 772 Newer› Newest»Welcome to the Hall!
May you all find something here to enjoy. Requests are welcome.
I'm going to post my collection of complete Beethoven works so far. I'm posting them also on 'La Leyenda', but this would be a perfect spot for others to enjoy.
Posting them soon...
This is what I have posted so far on the 'La Leyenda' site. If you would like to know the track names, please search on Amazon. It is a white Complete Beethoven set box, featuring 86 CDs. I will plan on posting all of the CDs at some time. I will also include (one day soon, hopefully) the complete works of Mozart and Bach. Please enjoy! I think this Classical Music Hall is a wonderful idea, and hope that everyone takes full advantage of it:
CD 1 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=jxxnc6qklsd
CD 2 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=yvbxqckzj3f
CD 3 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=j7f4rqjw1sc
CD 4 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=rpgoyv4n26c
CD 5 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=4q74lyd1g4f
CD 6 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=dndnj84gb9d
CD 7- http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=26hyg79ynyf
CD 8 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=x6cwr6vydtf
CD 9 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=hcxyh28vfhb
CD 10 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=b8ffdncqlvd
CD 11 -http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=97mzlgxkjvf
CD 12 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=99fydlnn0cc
CD 13 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=l37ro63yofc
CD 14 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=68nnohx6mbf
CD 15 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=x72tbvk0pmb
CD 16 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=tv4dlh2jbqf
CD 17 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=qt40rdngboc
CD 18 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=mynhs8gossc
CD 19 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=3v7lm484rvb
CD 20 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=l6jkshb25qc
CD 21 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=5nf28vgjsyb
CD 22 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=kqfl1jfvmbc
CD 23 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=vd55thh2lhb
CD 24 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=3mgl4wfv5xb
CD 25 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=xjxtkt4lrvb
CD 26 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=wxx6b660m0f
CD 27 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=c0vkmkkhctb
CD 28 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=lslhcmf10pd
CD 29 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=l0ozwhdtpsb
CD 30 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=j36zh7c183c
CD 31 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=j3y3cvrlnvf
CD 32 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=ojn1hmf6pmf
CD 33 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=sh9yczcmzpd
CD 34 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=8cnx5hh4r7f
CD 35 http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/3196331455/Complete_Beethoven_-_CD_35.zip
CD 36 http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/3196331465/Complete_Beethoven_-_CD_36.zip
@ isbum
I'll dig out all my Chimez posts and put them up again!
@ shane - Thank you for bringing the Hall to life with and incredible post! My deepest gratitude for providing these Shane.
@ scoredaddy - Thank you in advance for any of the repostings you can provide my friend.
Your very welcome, Isbum! Your site has been a part of my life for a while now. I think it's a great idea, and I want to make sure others are able to enjoy classical music as well as film.
@ shane - I tip my hat to you!
Thanks for leading the way. :)
Call it sort of a classical top 100 “hits” from 1685-1928.
Here is just the tip of the magnificent iceberg which has enriched us for hundreds of years.
My thanks to isbum for providing this venue of sharing and our old friend Chimesatmidnight for the inspiration that reminds us how much beauty and joy there is in this world of ours.
Disc 1: 1685-1730
1. Bach - Toccata in D minor
2. Pachelbel - Canon in D
3. Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, 1st movement
4. Handel - Water Music, Suite No. 2 in D
5. Purcell - Trumpet Tune and Air
6. Bach - Air (from Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D)
7. Vivaldi - The Four Seasons - Spring
8. Albinoni - Adagio
9. Vivaldi - Mandoline Concerto in C, RV 425
10. Bach - Minuet and Badinerie (from Orchestral Suite No. 2)
http://rs365l32.rapidshare.com/files/85499790/Disc_1_-_1685-1730.rar
Disc 2: 1731-1775
1. Handel - "Hallelujah" from Messiah
2. Gluck - Dance of the Blessed Spirits, from "Orpheus and Eurydice"
3. Bach - Sinfonia in G, from "Christmas Oratorio"
4. Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 3 in G, 1st movement
5. Handel - Largo, from "Xerxes"
6. Vivaldi - Flute Concerto in G minor "La Notte", VI. Allegro
7. Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, from "Solomon"
8. Bach - Oboe Concerto in D minor, 2nd movement
9. Handel - Concerto grosso in A minor op. 6 No. 4
10. Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 5 in A, 2nd movement
http://rs312l32.rapidshare.com/files/85508447/Disc_2_-_1731-1775.rar
Disc 3: 1776-1787
1. Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, 1st movement
2. Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 in C, 2nd movement ("Elvira Madigan")
3. Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro - Overture
4. Mozart - Flute Concerto No. 2 in D, 2nd movement
5. Mozart - Rondo Alla Turca, from Piano Sonata in A
6. Mozart - Don Giovanni - Overture
7. Mozart - Horn Conerto No. 3 in E flat, 2nd movement
8. Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 23 in A, 1st movement
9. Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro - March
10. Mozart - Serenata Notturna
http://rs322l32.rapidshare.com/files/85518030/Disc_3_-_1776-1787.rar
Disc 4: 1788-1810
1. Mozart - Symphony No. 40, 1st movement
2. Beethoven - "Moonlight" Sonata, 1st movement
3. Haydn - Symphony No. 94, "Surprise", 2nd movement
4. Mozart - The Magic Flute - Overture
5. Beethoven - Fur Elise
6. Haydn - Emperor's Hymn, from Sring Quartet in C
7. Beethoven - Symphony No. 5, 1st movement
8. Mozart - Clarinet Concerto in A, 2nd movement
9. Beethoven - Minuet in G
10. Haydn - Trumpet Concerto in E flat, 3rd movement
http://rs388cg.rapidshare.com/files/85526899/Disc_4_-_1788-1810.rar
Disc 5: 1811-1841
1. Rossini - The Barber of Seville - Overture
2. Schubert - Symphony No. 8 in B minor, "Unfinished"
3. Mendelssohn - Spring Song
4. Chopin - Polonaise in A, Op. 40 No. 3, "Military"
5. Schubert - Ballet Music in G, from "Rosamunde"
6. Weber - Der Freischutz - Overture
7. Schubert - Ave Maria
8. Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 4 in A, "Italian", 1st movement
9. Schumann - Traumerci
10. Schubert - German Dance No. 1
http://rs306tg.rapidshare.com/files/85536695/Disc_5_-_1811-1841.rar
Disc 6: 1842-1853
1. Mendelssohn - Wedding March, from "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
2. Liszt - Liebestraum No. 3 in A flat
3. Verdi - Nabucco - Overture
4. Schumann - The Merry Peasant
5. Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
6. Wagner - Lohengrin - Prelude to Act 3
7. Verdi - La Traviata - Prelude to Act 1
8. Wagner - Tannhauser - Arrival of the Guests at Wartburg
9. Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E minor, 2nd movement
10. Suppe - Poet and Peasant - Overture
http://rs55gc.rapidshare.com/files/85457476/Disc_6_-_1842-1853.rar
Disc 7: 1854-1866
1. Offenbach - Orpheus in the Underworld - Overture
2. Rubinstein - Melody in F
3. Liszt - Les Preludes
4. Brahms - Waltz in A flat
5. Verdi - The Force of Destiny - Overture
6. Grieg - I Love You
7. Smetana - The Bartered Bride - Overture
8. Offenbach - Barcarolle, from "The Tales of Hoffmann"
9. Strauss II - Tritsch Tratsch Polka
10. Suppe - Light Cavalry - Overture
http://rs364l32.rapidshare.com/files/85465425/Disc_7_-_1854-1866.rar
Disc 8: 1867-1876
1. Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor, 1st movement (excerpt)
2. Brahms - Cradle Song
3. Smetana - The Moldau
4. Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries, from "The Valkyrie"
5. Grieg - Morning, from "Peer Gynt"
6. Bizet - Les Toreadors, from "Carmen"
7. Delibes - Notturno, from "Coppelia"
8. Tchaikovsky - Marche Slave, Op. 31
9. Bizet - L'Arlesienne - Intermezzo
10. Strauss II - The Blue Danube - Waltz
http://rs367gc.rapidshare.com/files/85474400/Disc_8_-_1867-1876.rar
Disc 9: 1877-1893
1. Tchaikovsky - Polonaise, from "Eugene Onegin"
2. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9, from "The New World"
3. Tchaikovsky - Waltz of the Flowers, from "The Nutcracker"
4. Rimsky-Korsakov - Alborado, from "Capriccio Espagnol"
5. Grieg - The Last Spring
6. Dvorak - Slavonic Dance No. 2
7. Tchaikovsky - The Sleeping Beauty - Introduction
8. Wagner - Siegfried's Death and Funeral March, from "Twilight of the Gods"
9. Dvorak - Songs My Mother Taught Me
10. Strauss II - Emperor Waltz
http://rs297tg.rapidshare.com/files/85490724/Disc_9_-_1877-1893.rar
Disc 10: 1894-1928
1. Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra - Fanfare
2. Mahler - Symphony No. 5 - Adagietto
3. Sibelius - Finlandia
4. Rimsky-Korsakov - Dance of the Bumble Bee
5. Massenet - Meditation, from "Thais"
6. Elgar - Pomp and Circumstance - March No. 1
7. Dvorak - Humoresque
8. Sibelius - Valse Triste
9. Strauss II - Vienna Blood - Waltz
10. Ravel – Bolero
http://rs153l33.rapidshare.com/files/85482404/Disc_10_-_1894-1928.rar
@ ruggo - Very well said my friend.
Thank you!
Unique among American composers, Leonard Bernstein led most of his professional life in the glow of the public spotlight. His tastes were eclectic and his compositions ranged from Broadway shows to sacred music. He composed three symphonies. Well worth having in any listener's collection of 20th century composers.
http://rs331tl.rapidshare.com/files/85592584/Bernstein-Symphony_No.1_Jeremiah.rar
http://rs299cg.rapidshare.com/files/85596303/Bernstein-Symphony_No.2_Age_Of_Anxiety.rar
http://rs379l32.rapidshare.com/files/85600232/Bernstein-Symphony_No.3__Kaddish.rar
A great french classical composer :
Erik Satie
+ a jazz interpretation by
Jacques Loussier
= pure beauty and happiness
Satie Gymnopedies Gnossiennes Jacques Loussier Trio
http://rapidshare.com/files/85741551/SatieLoussier.rar
cd rip @160
Hope it's on topic.
When Gioacchino Rossini died in 1868, Verdi suggested that a number of Italian composers should collaborate on a Requiem in Rossini's honor, and began the effort by submitting a "Libera me."
During the next year a Messa per Rossini was compiled by 13 composers (of whom the only one well known today is Verdi himself). The premiere was scheduled for the first anniversary of Rossini's death in 1869, but the performance was cancelled and the piece fell into oblivion.
In the meantime, Verdi kept toying with his "Libera me," frustrated that the combined commemoration of Rossini's life would not be performed in his lifetime.
In May of 1873, the Italian writer and humanist Alessandro Manzoni, whom Verdi had met in 1868, died. Upon hearing of his death, Verdi resolved to complete a Requiem—this time entirely of his own writing—for Manzoni.
Verdi travelled to Paris in June, where he commenced work on the Requiem, giving it the form we know today. It included a revised version of the "Libera me" originally composed for Rossini.
The Requiem was first performed the following May in the church of San Marco in Milan, on the first anniversary of Manzoni's death.
In terms of dramatic urgency, the Requiem is unsurpassed by any of Verdi's operas, and as a personal expression perhaps only by the truly valedictory Te Deum of 1898 (Also included on the second disc of this recording), the only one of his scores he asked to have buried with him. Only in passing will the listener notice how much Verdi allowed himself in this work—as he would again in the final operas and the Quattro pezzi sacri (all included here) —to bring his vast musical learning and technical skills into play to augment the lyric gift so abundantly evident throughout his earlier works. No one revered the great masters of the past more than he, who kept the scores of the Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart string quartets always close by, and who venerated Palestrina as “first and foremost.”
Arguably, Verdi's Requiem may be the greatest choral work ever written, it is certainly up there with the last movement of Beethoven's 9th for the most sublime dramatic and emotional impact.
Verdi's Te Deum is another magnificent choral piece that again connects mankind dramatically and emotionally with God. On a personal note, having sung both pieces with symphony orchestras in concert, I feel particularly close to this music and, at the end of the Te Deum as the solo violin floats a last lingering note out across the universe, closer to heaven you can really understand the beauty of our world.
Carlo Maria Giulini conducts:
VERDI’S REQUIEM
&
FOUR SACRED PIECES
http://rs321l3.rapidshare.com/files/85776411/Verdi_Requiem.part1.rar
http://rs312gc.rapidshare.com/files/85786030/Verdi_Requiem.part2.rar
http://rs121tl2.rapidshare.com/files/85795490/Verdi_Requiem.part3.rar
http://rs163gc2.rapidshare.com/files/85795651/Verdi_Requiem.part4.rar
Well, i've got a request. Not for any special composer but for special voices...
I'm searching anything recorded by sopranists (Aris Christofelis is the more famous, but i've heard about a very few others) and altos (Gerard Lesne is the more welcome)
Please no Alfred Deller, i didn't like his voice...
And no need to Alessandro Moreschi the Castrato, unless it's unreleased, i've got him...
Thanks :)
Here are a couple of reposts for those who might have missed them, and to keep the links alive. Consider them “crossover” classics.
OPERA GOES TO THE MOVIES
1. Madama Butterfly: Un bel di (Fatal Attraction) - Leontyne Price
2. Turandot: Nessun dorma (The Witches Of Eastwick) - Jussi Bjoerling
3. La Boheme: Quando m'en vo (Moonstruck) - Anna Moffo
4. La Boheme: Donde lieta usci (Mimi's Addio) - Moonstruck - Leontyne Price
5. The Barber Of Seville: Una voce poco fa (Dark Eyes) - Roberta Peters
6. Die Walkure: Ride Of The Valkyries (Apocalypse Now) - Eugene ormandy
8. The Barber Of Seville: Overture (Prizzi's Honor) - Fritz Reiner L
9. Gianni Schicchi: Firenze e come un albero fiorito (A Room With A View) - Peter Seiffert
10. Gianni Schicchi: O mio babbino caro (A Room With A View) - Leontyne Price
11. La rondine: Chi il bel sogno di Doretta (A Room With A View) - Anna Moffo
12. Cavalleria Rusticana: Intermezzo (Godfather III) - James Levine
13. Pagliacci: Vesti la biubba (The Untouchables) - Placido Domingo
14. La Wally: Ebben? Ne andro lontano (Diva) - Eva Marton
15. Rigoletto: Questa o quella (Wall Street) - Alfredo Kraus
16. La Boheme: O soave fanciulla (Moonstruck) - Placido Domingo
17. Manon Lescaut: Sola, perduta, abbandonata (Hannah And Her Sisters) - Leontyne Price
18. Martha: M'appari (The Grey Fox) - Placido Domingo
http://rs86l33.rapidshare.com/files/40057702/Opera_Goes_To_The_Movies.part1.rar
http://rs92tl.rapidshare.com/files/40059967/Opera_Goes_To_The_Movies.part2.rar
THE CLASSICAL JAZZ QUARTET PLAYS BACH
File1 Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring.mp3
File2 Oboe Concerto in A major, 2nd Movement BWV 1055.mp3
File3 Brandenburg Concerto #2 in F major BWV 1047, 1st Movement.mp3
File4 Invention #4 BWV 775.mp3
File5 Brandenburg Concerto #2 in F major BWV 1047, 2nd Movement.mp3
File6 Air.mp3
http://rs77tl.rapidshare.com/files/53587047/The_Classical_Jazz_Quartet_-_Plays_Bach.rar
Brahms First symphony is frequently called Beethoven's 10th as it is a logical progression in musical evolution.
But what if Beethoven had written a tenth symphony? According to many he did.
It is said that Beethoven left behind sketches of a Tenth Symphony. And even better than that, a man by the name of Barry Cooper has reconstructed the symphony from these sketches.
Did the 10th ever exist? In Beethoven’s fevered mind? In actual notes and bits and pieces? The Tenth Symphony has to exist because Beethoven frequently mentioned it, along with the Ninth, as planned and in the works- he even began work on it before the glorious Ninth was complete (initially the Ninth was to be purely instrumental -the original fourth movement of the Ninth scrapped and instead used as a movement in String Quartet Op. 132- and the Tenth to include a chorus, while Schiller's "Ode to Joy" was initially conceived as a separate cantata... not to be included as part of a mainly instrumental work). This overlap of work was also the case with the fifth and sixth symphonies. It is not impossible to believe, that a greater symphony was to follow the Ninth. This recording, as well as Beethoven's and his colleagues' own testimonies, are evidence to the contrary. It is interesting to note that a friend of Beethoven even heard the master play the piano reduction of the Tenth Symphony IN ITS ENTIRETY, explaining the developments as they came along.
Here’s what famous composer Erik Satie had to say:
“Of all the works of this grandiose composer, this 10th Symphony, which nobody knows, is one the most sumptuous. Its proportions are on a palatial scale; its ideas are fresh and plentiful; the developments are exact and appropriate.
This Symphony had to exist: the number 9 just wouldn't suit Beethoven. He liked the decimal system: "I have ten fingers," he used to explain.
Certain admirers who came dutifully to take in this masterpiece with thoughtful and attentive ears, quite wrongly felt it to be one of Beethoven's inferior works and went so far as to say so. They even went further than that.
In no way can Beethoven be inferior to himself. His form and technique are always portentous, even in his slightest works. In his case the word rudimentary cannot be used. As an artist he can easily stand up to any counterfeit attributed to him.”
-- Erik Satie --
Memoirs of an Amnesiac, 1912
London Symphony Orchestra
BEETHOVEN: 10TH SYMPHONY
http://rs73l33.rapidshare.com/files/86130748/Beethoven_10th_Symphony.part1.rar
http://rs377tl.rapidshare.com/files/86131719/Beethoven_10th_Symphony.part2.rar
The Mermaid by Zemlinsky
Berlin Radio Symphony conducted by Riccardo Chailly
http://rapidshare.com/files/86352710/Zemlinsky__Die_Seejungfrau__The_Mermaid_.rar.html
isbum - your blog is wonderful!
I have a request: searching through your archives I found defunct links to Bernard Herrmann conducting Holst's The Planets. I never knew it existed! Since reading about it here, I can't seem to find it anywhere..
I am hoping you can re-post a working link to it. Thank you for any help you can provide, and keep up the excellent work!
Hi pjb---
here's the link from a few months ago. I believe it still works. (they're vinyl transfers @ 192)
B. Herrman HOLST'S THE PLANETS
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q14MQDFR
you might also enjoy this one:
B. Herrman's THE IMPRESSIONISTS:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RBGZD962
Hope you enjoy them.
-Rocket
Rocket, thank you so much for both of these!!
Here is an amazing piece of music with an equally amazing history. In fact, it is so amazing that I’m going to post it here as a classical piece, and over in the big section as a REJECTED SOUNDTRACK
"Forest of the Amazon" dating from 1959 was one of Heitor Villa-Lobos' (1887-1959) last works. Much of the music was derived from the composer's film score to "Green Mansions" starring Audrey Hepburn and Anthony Perkins. However, the final score was provided by Bronislau Kaper, who quoted Villa-Lobos here and there, but provided his own music elsewhere. Villa-Lobos was very angry about this and, in response, developed "Forest of the Amazon" from his film score.
"Forest of the Amazon" is, more or less, a 74-minute symphonic poem. The work is divided into 20 sections here, however each section flows into another without a break. Despite the length, this work holds the listener's attention throughout. Villa-Lobos was a brilliant orchestrator and knew how to write a great melody. I was immediately lured into this work by the powerful and evocative overture (Track 1). Other exciting sections include "On the way to the Hunt" (Track 9) and "Head Hunters" (Track 16). The imaginative use of male voices and percussion definitely give "Forest of the Amazon" an exotic flavor. Of course the singing by Renée Fleming is lovely, and Villa-Lobos' melodies for the soprano solo are beautiful and memorable. As an example, listen to "Love Song" (Track 17) or "Sentimental Melody" (Track 18). Amazingly, the symphonic poem is a cohesive work; with early themes reappearing later in the work. Yet the piece is incredibly varied, in which the listener takes an Amazonian journey though Villa-Lobos' unique sound world, which incorporates ethnic, popular and classical elements.
1. Overture
2. Deep In the Forest
3. Excitement Among the Indians
4. First Bird Song
5. Nature's Dance
6. Second Bird Song
7. (Vocalise)
8. Sails
9. On the Way To the Hunt
10. Third Bird Song
11. Twilight Song
12. The Indians In Search of the Girl
13. Fourth Bird Song
14. Rima's Music
15. (Vocalise)
16. Head Hunters
17. Love Song
18. Sentimental Melody
19. Forest Fire
20. (Finale)
VILLA LOBOS
FOREST OF THE AMAZON
http://rs328l32.rapidshare.com/files/86424130/Villa-Lobos_-_Forest_Of_The_Amazon_1.rar
http://rs369l32.rapidshare.com/files/86426671/Villa-Lobos_-_Forest_Of_The_Amazon_2.rar
wow---thanks ruggo! what a great share.
@pjb (and all other Herrmann fans)---
here's one more link I forgot about:
HERRMANN-THE FOUR FACES OF JAZZ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ILV1H1V9
-rocket
@ Ruggo
Thanks for the Villa-Lobos. I've always liked this composer but I had never heard this before.
@ rocket from mars - I sent you an email. Check yo inbox matey.
Bobby McFerrin's signature falsetto envelops a poignant, wordless melody, embellished by piano flourishes that tow the line between classical decorum and Chick Corea's airy, modal jazz style.
Suddenly the music segues into the opening of Mozart's D Minor Concerto. The A Major Concerto (K. 488) is similarly introduced. While the smooth, thick orchestral fabric suggests forces larger than a chamber aggregation, McFerrin clarifies important woodwind details (the elusive bassoon, for instance, in K. 488's slow movement) and infuses the outer movements with controlled brio. By contrast, Corea's Latin-tinged, improvised cadenzas (cadenzas were originally sections set aside for the pianist to show off and were improvised) are a refreshing change from those which have been written for these pieces.
The genius of it is that not only is Corea a brilliant improvisationist, but he can play Mozart with a crisp and subtle touch that highlights all the emotions from major to minor. Just tune out the right hand a bit, and hear the precision and deftness of the left hand's accompaniment. This lends credence and passion to his cadenza improvisations. Consequently, the brilliance of Mozart's writing and the brilliance of sheer improvisation make an incredible combination. All the poetic essences of continuity and change are flung at the listener.
Neither McFerrin nor Corea abuse the music either; the vocal introductions and Corea's embellishments and explorations only heighten awareness, and do not undermine the essence of the works.
The final Adagio from the F Sonata that they convert into the "Song For Amadeus" is a wonderful tribute to the most brilliant of composers.
One of Time Magazines top albums of 1996:
THE MOZART SESSIONS
Bobby McFerrin & Chick Corea
St. Paul Chamber Orchestra
http://rs333gc.rapidshare.com/files/86659316/McFerrin_Corea_The_Mozart_Session.part1.rar
http://rs307cg.rapidshare.com/files/86662515/McFerrin_Corea_The_Mozart_Session.part2.rar
Nice post, Ruggo :)
would anyone have Gorecki's 3rd symphony complete (this was used in that Jeff Bridges movie entitled Fearless).
thanks in advance
@ grandpa sugar - Hello and welcome to Chimez Hall! Great film, I hope someone has this for you.
I have a copy of Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No 3. I will be back once I have done the upload.
mimagol
@ grandpa sugar
Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No 3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5N2JQGML
Please enjoy!
mimagol
mimagol
thank you so much ! i sincerely appreciate your sharing this.
What does a composer hear in his head? When asked that question, Mozart said he hears everything, all the parts as if it were a dream.
Many great musicians frequently hear something in their heads that is different from the composer’s final product. They will take the material and twist it into a different shape, through other instruments and variations, which become unique dreams in their own right.
Transcriptions have been around for a long time. Sometimes they detract from the original composer’s intention, but often they enhance and reinterpret the work for a completely new and different audience. Stokowski’s transcriptions for orchestra of Bach’s organ works are an excellent example. He doesn’t improve or detract from the original, but he allows us to hear it with a completely different sensibility. When Ravel orchestrated Moussorgsky’s Pictures At An Exhibition, he may have exceeded the vision of the original by bringing it to its logical fruition. Many of you may be familiar with the fabulous transcriptions of classical pieces done by Wendy Carlos on the Moog Synthesizer.
Transcribing instrumental pieces for the human voice is frequently a very commercial enterprise. Notably, the Swingle Singers made a career out of such transcriptions (think of Bach on lysergic acid).
More recently, Accentus, a French a cappella choir of 32 voices founded and directed by Laurence Equilbey in 1991, has raised the performance of music transcribed for human voice to an art form unprecedented in modern recording. Here are two magnificent albums.
LAURENCE EQUILBEY & ACCENTUS
TRANSCRIPTIONS
http://rs171tl2.rapidshare.com/files/86917058/Accentus__Transcriptions.part1.rar
http://rs366tl.rapidshare.com/files/86921804/Accentus__Transcriptions.part2.rar
http://rs345gc2.rapidshare.com/files/86924289/Accentus__Transcriptions.part3.rar
LAURENCE EQUILBEY & ACCENTUS
TRANSCRIPTIONS VOL.2
http://rs315l3.rapidshare.com/files/86908870/Accentus_Transcriptions_2.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/86911716/Accentus_Transcriptions_2.part2.rar
Complete Beethoven - CD 37
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JWCFV91X
There's definitely more to come! Enjoy!
I posted this earlier in the January requests, but now that we have a home for classical pieces I figured I'd repost here:
John Williams - The Five Sacred Trees @192k
http://rapidshare.com/files/83580191/5ST.zip
This is Williams' Bassoon Concerto, performed by the London SO. Also contains:
Tree Line - Takemitsu
Symphony no 2, Op. 132 "Mysterious Mountain" - Hovhaness
Old and Lost Rivers - Tobias Picker
Enjoy.
A request:
I recently heard an ORCHESTRAL version of Ravel's "Gaspard de la nuit" and it was amazing! Anyone else heard this or have it? I believe the conductor is Christoph Eschenbach - don't know who's responsible for the wonderful orchestration...
Any help is greatly appreciated.
@ jersey devil - Thanks for the re-posts. Much appreciated!
In a previous post I mentioned how many musicians/composers could envision another composer’s work in a different format, played on different instruments than those originally intended and would lavish tremendous amounts of time and care on transcribing the music to this new visualization.
Probably no composer has been transcribed into different forms more than J. S. Bach. Perhaps one of the reasons for this is that Bach’s genius resonates regardless of what instrument it is played on. I mentioned Stokowski’s classic transcriptions for full symphony orchestra of Bach’s organ music. Well, here’s something a little different. Lively, engaging, filled with boundless enthusiasm, this Bach transcribed for brass.
LAUBIN BRASS ENSEMBLE
BACH FOR BRASS
http://rs174cg.rapidshare.com/files/87092848/Bach_for_Brass_-_Laubin_Brass_Ensemble.part1.rar
http://rs385cg.rapidshare.com/files/87096944/Bach_for_Brass_-_Laubin_Brass_Ensemble.part2.rar
elias said...
@ruggo
This is the correct tracklist:
Heitor Villa-Lobos-1959-Forest Of The Amazon-Symphony Of The Air & Chorus-Conducted By The Author-Featuring Bidú Sayão(47:16):
01 Overture
02 Deep in the Forest
03 Excitement among the Indians
04 First Bird Song
05 Nature´s Dance
06 Second Bird Song
07 Vocalise
08 Savage War Dance
09 Sails
10 On the Way to the Hunt
11 Third Bird Song
12 Twilight Song
13 Indians in Search of the Girl
14 Fourth Bird Song
15 Head Hunters
16 Blue Dusk (Love Song)
17 Love Song (Sentimetal Melody)
18 Forest Fire
19 Finale
Cover:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4994/florestadoamazonasec7.jpg
January 27, 2008 7:31 PM
Imagine you're in Paris, France, in 1910. The arts are at an all-time height, never before seen in Europe. Impressionism is becoming more and more popular. You see a poster for a ballet produced by the Ballet Russes, a Russian-based ballet theater group run by Sergei Diaghilev and decide to see the upcoming premiere of The Firebird. What you don't realize is that you are about to witness musical history.
Stravinsky was, at the time, a little-known Russian composer that had briefly studied with Rimsky-Korsakov. The Firebird was a very upbeat ballet based on a Russian folk tale. Few who went to the ballet that night would ever forget the experience.
Towards the end of his life, Stravinsky regarded his three ballets as worthless and they had become nothing more than trophies for conductors to add to their repertoire. Though Stravinsky thought little of the three, mainstream audiences tend to differ. The Firebird and The Rite of Spring have been used in both Fantasia films, as well as countless other films. And all three have been performed innumerable times.
This historic recording (historic doesn’t mean lacking in sonic quality) is of Igor Stravinsky himself conducting the Columbia Symphony Orchestra in 1962 in celebration of his 82nd birthday.
IGOR STRAVINSKY
Columbia Symphony Orchestra
THE FIREBIRD (Complete)
http://rs64tl2.rapidshare.com/files/87105116/Stravinsky_Conducts_-_The_Firebird__1962_.rar
Hello Everyone,
Maybe you know the Alan Parsons version of The Fall of The House Of Usher. But I discovered that Debussy wrote an opera with the same name, and I heard some fragments one day and the melody was the same than the Alan Parsons'. Does anybody have a version of the Debussy's opera ?
Thanks very much
Tompak
@ tompac - Welcome to the Hall!
I'd really get into hearing that too!
The Symphony No. 9, in E Minor "From the New World" (Op. 95), popularly known as the New World Symphony, was composed by Antonín Dvořák in 1893 during his visit to the United States from 1892 to 1895. It is by far his most popular symphony, and one of the most popular symphonies in the modern repertory. At the Symphony's premiere at Carnegie Hall the reception was one of perpetual cheering. The end of every movement was met with thunderous clapping and Dvořák felt obliged to stand up and bow. In a letter to his publisher he stated how there was "no getting out of it, and I had to show myself willy-nilly"
No, he didn’t show his willy, he just had to stand up and wave! I’ve always considered this particular piece of music an excellent starter symphony. Otherwise known as classical music for people who don’t like (or know anything about) classical music.
Fritz Reiner’s 1957 recording on RCA’s Living Stereo is a classic well worth repeated listenings. Also included are three other pieces filled with lively rhythms and memorable melody. Original covers, booklets and artwork included.
ANTONIN DVORAK
SYMPHONY #9 (From The New World)
Fritz Reiner
Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
http://rs326cg.rapidshare.com/files/87373748/Dvorak_-_New_World_Symphony___other_orchestral_masterworks_RCA.part1.rar
http://rs372l3.rapidshare.com/files/87380493/Dvorak_-_New_World_Symphony___other_orchestral_masterworks_RCA.part2.rar
"42", oh my...
This guy really knew how to compose some incredible adagios:
Tomaso Albinoni
1671 - 1751
12 CONCERTI Opus 5
Concerti 1-6
3
2
0
http://rapidshare.com/files/89639192/TA_-_12Co5__1-6_.rar
Concerti 7-12
3
2
0
http://rapidshare.com/files/89646015/TA_-_12Co5__7-12_.rar
They're all utterly beautiful!
Enjoy!
Thanks Parzival!
Ahmed Adnan Saygun
1907 - 1991
A hardly known and quite underrated composer from Turkey.
One of the few turkish composers who fully adopted the western symphonic idiom and eschewed his oriental music traditions.
His music is very interesting and colorful and has also a strong modernist twist to it.
I recommend these strong and powerful orchestral works very highly.
SYMPHONY No. 1 op. 29
http://rapidshare.com/files/89741846/AAS_-_S1.rar
SYMPHONY No. 2 op. 30
http://rapidshare.com/files/89747058/AAS_-_S2.rar
Enjoy y'all!
okay, since i got it wrong the first time i posted this request, let me try again...I am looking for Beethoven's Symphony no.5, by Carlos Kleiber or Karajan, in as high a quality as possible(flac would be awesome, heh) any help would be much appreciated, thanks =)
Continuing with the Complete Beethoven Set. I hope everyone is enjoying this. I've had a lot of trouble uploading these pieces. Sorry about the delay:
CD 37 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JWCFV91X
CD 38
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=p9vn94kcxvb
Ruggo, I'm enjoying your comments before your posts. I think everyone is doing a terrific job on this site. Continue on giving everyone these great pieces.
We soundtrack collectors all know Nino Rota from his wonderful scores for many Italian films as others such as “The Godfather.”
Like many soundtrack composers before (and after) him, Rota took great pride in his “classical” compositions. There is a tremendous amount of crossover between Rota’s soundtrack and classical music. It is also all greatly enjoyable.
Rota's First Symphony, written over the years 1935-39, has considerable charm and appeal. It speaks directly in the late Romantic tradition, there's no hint of the avante garde writing that was beginning to occupy the attention of so many other composers at this time. The opening movement has an open-air freshness; its feet seem to be firmly rooted in the Italian soil. It opens calmly but grows increasingly animated and dramatic with color and melody. The Andante has a cloistered serenity, strings ascending heavenwards while tuba and trombones give some underpinning devotional gravity. One is reminded of the religious epic film music of Miklós Rózsa. The Scherzo is light and frothy, skipping gaily along in childlike innocence; indeed, one is reminded of childhood games and loud boisterous horseplay. The Finale is dramatic and full of conflict: dark vs light; sinister vs heroic. Any film director would be delighted to consider such material.
The Second Symphony was written mainly between 1937 and 1941, when he was teaching in Taranto in the remote, extreme south of Italy; and completed in 1975. At one point there is a faint pre-echo of the love music from Il Gattopardo (The Leopard). The Andante has its roots in plainchant, the Respighi of Concerto Gregoriano is not far away. The Final Allegro vivace is all gaiety. You feel there is a party in the village street; bells summon all to the feasting and dancing first under the hot sun and then under the stars. Much of this symphony is of the stuff that film scores are made.
The idiom on display in the Third Symphony stands squarely in the neo-classical tradition, a sort of Italianate Poulenc or Kurt Weill (from the period of the Second Symphony). Nino Rota's tuneful, expertly scored Third Symphony offers charm and wit without ever becoming facile, and sports a truly lovely slow movement. On the other hand, the tempo of the finale is brisk but not to the point where the winds have trouble tonguing the repeated notes of the principal theme. In all, this is a delightful work that ought to be played far more often, particularly by chamber orchestras.
NINO ROTA
3 SYMPHONIES
Naoto Otomo and the Japan Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
http://rs93tl.rapidshare.com/files/90284528/Naoto_Otomo_and_the_Japan_Philharmonic_Symphony_Orchestra_-_Nino_Rota_Symphony_Collection.part1.rar
http://rs334l3.rapidshare.com/files/90285250/Naoto_Otomo_and_the_Japan_Philharmonic_Symphony_Orchestra_-_Nino_Rota_Symphony_Collection.part2.rar
@ Ruggo
Thank you for all your textual introductions, and much unknown music.
@ Parzifal - Thanks for the Symphonies by Ahmed Adnan Saygun (he went folk-roots hunting with Bartók, didn't he? I must have 'buried' a piano music CD of his, too). Thank you also for the Albinoni Concertos; clever heading, my friend!
Flash news for Central Europeans who have downloaded those albums by the Accentus Chamber Choir : Coming Sunday at 7.00pm the French/German cultural channel "arte" will broadcast Trancriptions (1), the first of a two-part (45 minutes each) series, with rehearsals and performances by Accentus ... "filmé au cours d'un concert spectaculaire dans la nouvelle salle Pleyel, à Paris, et au Centre national de la danse, à Pantin." The 2nd installment is scheduled for next Sunday, 17 Feb., at the same early evening time of 07.00pm._
Repeats on 15, 21 & 27 (part 1), and on 22 & 28 February (part 2) respectively, at 8.00am.
More info – in French or German, at
http://www.arte.tv/fr/programmes/242,day=2,week=7,year=2008.html
http://www.arte.tv/de/programm/242,date=10/02/2008.html
In an earlier post I mentioned that Leopold Stokowski had a great talent for orchestral transcriptions of solo instrumental pieces, especially the organ. Frequently called the “King OF Instruments” a good organ can almost replicate many instrumental sounds, but never the whole Symphony orchestra at one time.
Most of us were introduced to Stokowski’s genius in Walt Disney’s Fantasia where he not only conducted everything, but did many transcriptions, not the least of which was Bach’s magnificent Toccata and Fugue. Eugene Ormandy and the string-heavy Philadelphia Orchestra of old almost made a career of Stokowski’s transcriptions.
Leopold Stokowski's Orchestral Transcriptions are guilty pleasures: high-fat concoctions that are gargantuan, something like the classical equivalent of Phil Spector, but without the guns and the eventual courtroom showdown. It is crucial to almost underplay them; they will speak for themselves.
The transcriptions are not particularly complicated and lack anything even vaguely revolutionary in their tonality. What we get is a wall of string tone carrying the melodies, usually, with brass and winds used for focus and enlarging. The famous Bach Passacaglia finds the entry of the brass reiterating the ostinato with a handsome blare, and much to the credit of conductor José Serebrier, he does not play all his cards so early in the piece. It builds and builds, and then blows us away.
The CD (not really only Bach pieces despite the title) opens with the famous Air from the 3rd Orchestral Suite of Bach. Serebrier gets just the right dark, warm sound from the low strings that one associates with a Stokowski performance. Also included on the CD are Dido's Lament (Purcell), not needing its text in such an expressive performance; a big, toasty version of the Pastoral Symphony from Messiah; and a pairing of Two Ancient Liturgical Melodies by Stokowski himself. The Bournemouth Symphony knows they're doing something popular. This is a stunning CD and the engineers have done a great job as well. I have transferred it to MP3 @ 320kps. ENJOY!
STOKOWSKI BACH TRANSCRIPTIONS
BOURNEMOUTH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
Jose Serbrier
http://rs377l3.rapidshare.com/files/90504669/Stokowski_-_Symphonic_Transcriptions.part1.rar
http://rs379tl2.rapidshare.com/files/90507520/Stokowski_-_Symphonic_Transcriptions.part2.rar
Artwork & Tracklist included
Today is Alban Berg's birthday!
Alban Berg
February 9, 1885 –
December 24, 1935
Berg was a member of the Second Viennese School with Arnold Schoenberg and Anton Webern, and produced compositions that combined Mahlerian romanticism with a personal adaptation of Schoenberg's twelve-tone technique.
He was more interested in literature than music as a child and did not begin to compose until he was fifteen, when he started to teach himself music. In late February or early March of 1902 he fathered a child with Marie Scheuchl, a servant girl in the Berg family household. His daughter, Albine, was born on December 4, 1902.
Berg had little formal music education before he became a student of Arnold Schoenberg in October 1904. With Schoenberg he studied counterpoint, music theory, and harmony.
Berg studied with Schoenberg for six years until 1911. Berg admired him as a composer and mentor, and they remained close lifelong friends. Berg may have seen the older composer as a father figure, as Berg's father had died when he was only 15.
Let's celebrate his birthday with a feast of his compositions:
ALBAN BERG
String Quartet, op. 3
http://rapidshare.com/files/90496635/AB_-_SQ3.rar
Lyric Suite
http://rapidshare.com/files/90501942/AB_-_LyricS.rar
Chamber Concerto
http://rapidshare.com/files/90510227/AB_-_CC.rar
Violin Concerto
http://rapidshare.com/files/90515287/AB_-_VC.rar
Wozzeck Fragments
http://rapidshare.com/files/90524497/AB_-_WF.rar
Lulu Suite
http://rapidshare.com/files/90521298/AB_-_LuluS.rar
Happy B-Day, Alban!
Bach’s Goldberg Variations
The Goldberg Variations, are a set of 30 variations for harpsichord by Johann Sebastian Bach. First published in 1741 as the fourth in a series Bach called "keyboard practice", the work is considered to be one of the most important examples of the variation form. It is named after Johann Gottlieb Goldberg, who it is said was the first (other than Bach) to play them.who r.
Glenn Gould’s debut album of Bach’s Goldberg Variations was recorded in June 1955. It is one of the best known classical piano recordings ever, and it has been in continuous print for fifty years. But, it was locked forever in monaural sound. Until now.
Zenph Studios is creating building blocks for the musical equivalent of software you know from text and video graphics where they take audio recordings (from any source: LPs, tapes, 78s, CDs, even wax cylinders) and convert them back into the precise, keystrokes and pedal motions that would have been used to create them. This is done in a new format, which can be played back with phenomenal reality and accuracy on corresponding high-resolution computer-controlled grand pianos. Rachmaninoff, Glenn Gould, and Art Tatum can literally play "live" again.
Here’s Zenph’s re-creation of Gould’s great recording of the Variations as if the man himself were playing a couple of years ago with state of the art recording equipment. Mind blowing!
BACH: THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS
GLENN GOULD (1955/2006)
http://rs347gc2.rapidshare.com/files/90558381/Bach___The_Goldberg_Variations-__Glenn_Gould.part1.rar
http://rs387gc2.rapidshare.com/files/90560546/Bach___The_Goldberg_Variations-__Glenn_Gould.part2.rar
And, in keeping with our previous postings of transcriptions, here are two more recordings of the Goldberg Variations transcribed in one for BRASS and in another for STRINGS. Both are marvelous interpretations of this great music and well worth collecting.
GOLDBERG VARIATIONS
Brass Transcriptions
http://rs328gc.rapidshare.com/files/90550659/Goldberg_Variations__Canadian_Brass.part1.rar
http://rs21l32.rapidshare.com/files/90551152/Goldberg_Variations__Canadian_Brass.part2.rar
GOLDBERG VARIATIONS
String Transcriptions
http://rs296cg.rapidshare.com/files/90554225/Goldberg_Variations_for_strings_.part1.rar
http://rs347tg.rapidshare.com/files/90555520/Goldberg_Variations_for_strings_.part2.rar
And… on the 7th day, I’m going to rest too.
--Ruggo
Sir's Ruggo and Parzival,
wonderful shares my friends!!
Chimez would love seeing this, I salute you both!
Franz Liszt has emerged as one of the most awe-inspiring figures in all of music history. Regarded by most as the greatest pianist of all time Liszt's genius extended far beyond the piano to expand musical composition and performance well beyond its 19th Century limitations. His unique compositions bewildered, inspired and inflamed the imaginations of his own era, yet quite miraculously he also laid the seeds for a series of schools that would flourish in the near and distant future, namely, the Late Romantic, Impressionist and Atonal schools. For this Liszt is unique, and his immense influence is unquestionably monumental.
Liszt devised the piano recital and master class, both indispensable to modern audiences and students respectively. He had perfect pitch, and was the first performer to play entirely from memory, thus forging today's commonplace standard. Think of how audiences respond to current rock stars and you have an idea of the idolatry he received in the concert hall. He was a star!
He invented the symphonic poem - a new and elastic single-movement form, which many subsequent composers like Richard Strauss and Saint-Saëns and Sibelius embraced. It is at the core of most contemporary and popular music forms today. In fact, soundtrack collectors might think of them as soundtracks in search of a film. Previously, all musical forms were organized and structured into several movements. Symphonies, concertos etc. were all divided into generally three to five different movements, each with varying tempos and themes that in total, complimented each other, yet all were interrupted by a pause. Liszt was bold enough to abolish this restraint and devise a single, sweeping movement that carried the listener from beginning to end, without the "dead" pauses. Many of these innovative tone poems were based upon his transformation of themes. Liszt would launch the piece with a small kernel, or musical phrase, which journeyed through various transformations, each evoking a different stage of development in regards to the specific subject being treated, thus culminating into an appropriate finale... be it soft and ethereal, as in Orpheus, triumphant, as in Tasso, or the fateful moan of the dying Hamlet. Or, my personal favorite, the triumphant Les Preludes. This contribution to music history is by itself enough to secure Liszt a golden thrown in the Pantheon of Composers yet, this is only one of many that this great master gave to the world.
Here is my new rip of Liszt’s complete symphonic poems, all 14 of them (@320kps). I have rounded out the collection by including his Hungarian Rhapsodies 1-6. Originally composed for piano these are full orchestral versions filled with incredible life.
Enjoy and feel free to share my links.
http://rs73gc.rapidshare.com/files/90837499/FRANZ_LISZT__Symphonic_Poems___Rhapsodies.part1.rar
http://rs364gc2.rapidshare.com/files/90832519/FRANZ_LISZT__Symphonic_Poems___Rhapsodies.part2.rar
http://rs32tl2.rapidshare.com/files/90835132/FRANZ_LISZT__Symphonic_Poems___Rhapsodies.part3.rar
http://rs102gc2.rapidshare.com/files/90839787/FRANZ_LISZT__Symphonic_Poems___Rhapsodies.part4.rar
http://rs64l33.rapidshare.com/files/90842045/FRANZ_LISZT__Symphonic_Poems___Rhapsodies.part5.rar
http://rs295tl2.rapidshare.com/files/90844227/FRANZ_LISZT__Symphonic_Poems___Rhapsodies.part6.rar
http://rs367cg.rapidshare.com/files/90846827/FRANZ_LISZT__Symphonic_Poems___Rhapsodies.part7.rar
http://rs387cg.rapidshare.com/files/90848325/FRANZ_LISZT__Symphonic_Poems___Rhapsodies.part8.rar
@ ruggo
Listening to those Gould recreations now. No doubt the technology to do all that is pretty amazing but where's the humming? It just isn't Gould without the humming! ;-)
@donovan's brain
Think of this as classical karrioke, provide your own humming chorus.
Confession time.
I love classical music. However, I’m not the erudite, well-schooled aficionado that our good friend Chimesatmidnight was. For me classical music has to be an emotional, a visceral experience and the more melody and symphonic bravado, the more I like it. Give me the good old 1812 Overture with cannon and bells and full chorus over a piano sonata any day. Not that I don’t appreciate or have more esoteric pieces in my collection, I’m not particularly knowledgeable about which recordings by which conductors are considered better or worse than others. I just know what I like and want to share it.
So here’s my promise:
I’ll basically be posting classical music for people who don’t like or know anything about classical music in Chimez’s Hall. Most will be rips from my CD collection. I’ll try to give a little background to the music/composer because I always think the back-story can make things more interesting. You are welcome to share my links and post them elsewhere. But more importantly, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Today’s posting in Chimez’s Classical Hall are a number of works by Rimsky-Korsakov, including his famous symphonic suite “Scheherazade,” based on A 1001 Nights. Spectacular!
Nikolai Andreevich Rimsky-Korsakov
(1844-1908)
One of the Five, the leading group of 19th century Russian nationalist composers, Rimsky-Korsakov embarked at first on a career as a naval officer, following the traditions of his family, later resigning from the service to devote himself entirely to music. He was proficient as an orchestrator and set himself to smoothing out some of the apparent crudities in the work of some of his fellow-composers, completing and revising works such as Borodin's opera Prince Igor and much of the seemingly uneven writing of Mussorgsky. He was respected as a teacher, his pupils including the young Stravinsky. Most generally known for his orchestral compositions, Rimsky-Korsakov wrote songs and choral music, chamber music and works for piano. His textbook on orchestration has been widely if not always wisely used.
Scheherazade is based on the tales told by the princess Scheherazade, represented by a solo violin, in her effort to postpone the sentence of death declared on her by her master, the Caliph.
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV
SCHEHERAZADE Op. 35
Vienna Philharmonic/ Andre Previn
http://rs325l32.rapidshare.com/files/91086865/Rimsky-Korsakov_-_Scheherazade_op.35.part1.rar
http://rs128gc2.rapidshare.com/files/91087130/Rimsky-Korsakov_-_Scheherazade_op.35.part2.rar
1. The Sea And Sindbad's Ship
2. The Story Of The Kalendar Prince
3. The Young Prince And The Young Princess
4. Festival At Bagdad 12:24
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV
TWO SUITES
Rotterdam Philharmonic/David Zinman
http://rs332gc.rapidshare.com/files/91089523/Suites_by_Rimsky-Korsakov.part1.rar
http://rs325gc.rapidshare.com/files/91089777/Suites_by_Rimsky-Korsakov.part2.rar
1-4 The Tale Of Tsar Saltan
5-8 The Golden Cockeral
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV
RUSSIAN EASTER/CAPRICCIO ESPAGNOL
Gothenburg Symphony/Neeme Jarvi
http://rs369l32.rapidshare.com/files/91091938/Rimsky-Korsavov_Russian_Easter_Capriccio_Espagnol.rar
1.Russian Easter Overture
2.Capriccio Espagnol
Heres a repost of an exchange between Chimezatmidnight and Scoredaddy that also serves as a request.
chimzatmidnight said...
MAGNUS LINDBERG: CLARINET CONCERTO, GRAN DUO & CHORALE
Kari Krikku, klarinet | Finnish RSO, Sakari Oramu, cond.
(link provided no longer active)
One of the more acclaimed new pieces of music out of anywhere (even Finland), Magnus Lindberg continues to just plain amaze and delight.
scoredaddy said...
@chimezatmidnight
I love the Lindberg. do you have any more? Do you happen to have this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Magnus-Lindberg-Salonen/dp/B000
chimezatmidnight said...
scoredaddy,
I know but don't have that recording. What I can upload if you'd like is his Feria/Corrente II/Arena compilation.
It's such a pleasure to share with you -- and everyone!
isbum says... The above is just a reminder of how Chimez loved sharing music and friendship.
Perhaps the above requested music can be found and posted one day.
First of all, I don’t believe it. This is self-billed as the #1 Classical Album of 2008. Not my designation by a long shot. But I’m a lover of compilations and the variety they provide.
I also like the fact that soundtrack composers are represented here because I think they are as “classical” as the more esoteric purveyors of good music. I also love the fact that we have everyone on here from Mario Lanza to Haley Westenra to Sting.
These are primarily vocal tracks and all “great stuff.” (That’s a classical music technical term for some good shit.)
NUMBER ONE CLASSICAL ALBUM 2008
Various Artists
http://rs352gc2.rapidshare.com/files/91243743/Classics_2008_cd1.rar
http://rs380gc.rapidshare.com/files/91247827/Classics_2008_cd2.rar
DISC 1
1 Sancta Maria - Jenkins, Katherine
2 Con Te Partiro (Time To Say Goodbye) - Bocelli, Andrea
3 Caruso - Il Divo
4 Nessun Dorma - Pavarotti, Luciano
5 Sancte Deus (Nimrod) - All Angels
6 La Califfa - Watson, Russell
7 Where Do I Begin - Garrett, Lesley
8 Oh My Heart - Oldfield, Mike
9 Going Home - Martin, Will
10 Flow My Tears - Sting
11 Shenandoah - Westenra, Hayley
12 Prayer - RyanDan
13 Briony - Marianelli, Dario
14 Amapola - Florez, Juan Diego
15 Non Ti Scordar Di Me - Christos, Jon
16 Moonlight Serenade - Zimmer, Hans
17 Core 'Ngrato - Boe, Alfie
18 Bess You Is My Woman Now - Bendetti, Nicola
19 Primavera - Einaudi, Ludovico
20 Sabre Dance - Vanessa-Mae
DISC 2
1 Amazing Grace - Fron Male Voice Choir
2 Nella Fantasia - Potts, Paul
3 Yo Te Voy A Amar - Blake
4 Tonight - Westenra, Hayley & Vittorio Grigolo
5 Volare - G4
6 World In Union 2007 - All Stars
7 Sailing - Royal Scots Dragoon Guards
8 My Little Welsh Home - Jones, Aled
9 Eternal Source Of Light Divine - Thomas, Elin Manahan
10 Towards The Light - Hawes, Patrick
11 Toreador Song - Terfel, Bryn
12 Pie Jesu - Lloyd Webber, Julian
13 Be My Love - Lanza, Mario
14 Ave Maris Stella - Sixteen
15 Quando Men Vo - Netrebko, Anna
16 Traumerei - Lang Lang
17 Inspector Morse Theme - Johnson, Emma
18 Romanza - Cortes
19 Flight Of The Bumblebee - Garrett, David
20 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Choirboys
Please, visit this great blog, with great stuff and great art direction, created by gentleman Parzival.
There are many great uploads there.
HTTP://MELANCHOLIASUBOBSCURA.BLOGSOT.COM/
Alex -
I'll second that notion!
Correct link:
http://melancholiasubobscura.blogspot.com/
Hi!
I do have a request if anyone can upload the following:
Holst: The Planets / R. Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra by Gustav Holst, Richard Strauss, William Steinberg, and Boston Symphony Orchestra (Audio CD - 2001) - Original recording remastered
I would really appreciate this version!
Thank You in advance,
Honored General
Sort of a follow up to the Symphonic Poems of Franz Liszt, here are his two symphonies. Both filled with sound and fury and as the titles would imply, lots of dramatic intensity.
FRANZ LISZT
DANTE SYMPHONY
Solti/Chicago Symphony
http://rs53gc.rapidshare.com/files/92382441/Franz_Liszt_-_Dante_Symphony.part1.rar
http://rs353l32.rapidshare.com/files/92377683/Franz_Liszt_-_Dante_Symphony.part2.rar
FRANZ LISZT
FAUST SYMPHONY
Ricardo Chailly
http://rs318tl2.rapidshare.com/files/92387111/Liszt__Franz_-_A_Faust_Symphony_-_Riccardo_Chailly.part1.rar
http://rs355tl3.rapidshare.com/files/92390056/Liszt__Franz_-_A_Faust_Symphony_-_Riccardo_Chailly.part2.rar
Ruggo -
Excellent post! I love Liszt, and if others have never listened to his music they should at least try these. You can't go wrong with this composer.
Thanks again!
Okay, You’ve just got to picture this:
It was Fresno in 1958. The armpit of the world. The Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo came to town. Of course, they weren’t going to present a full-length ballet to the local farmers. Probably would require too much concentration and besides, all those guys in tights with strange looking codpieces prancing around with ladies in tutus would be a little difficult to digest. So, instead, they presented a number of short pieces which would highlight the troop’s athleticism and spectacular costumes. I can remember everything ending up with an encore presentation of Khachaturian’s “Sabre Dance.” An excellent choice for a community with a large Armenian population. My first ballet was quite memorable, but I was more impressed by the music than the tired, well-traveled dancers.
Aram Khachaturian was the much-loved Soviet composer of Armenian background, who continued the vein of colourful Russian exoticism from 19th century composers like Borodin and Rimsky-Korsakov. Khachaturian studied at Gnessin Institute and Moscow Conservatoire under Glière and Myaskovsky Most famous for ballets Gayaneh and Spartacus, performed worldwide by the Bolshoy and Kirov companies during the Soviet period Many concertos include those for piano (1936) and violin (1940), the latter written for and championed by David Oistrakh. His three symphonies are of epic, almost filmic character, with very grand and kaleidoscopic orchestration.
Look up “lively” in the musical dictionary and you’ll see a picture of Khachaturian.
ARAM KHACHATURIAN
EXERPTS:
GAYANEH/MASQUERADE/SPARTACUS
Bolshi Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Lazarev
http://rs352gc2.rapidshare.com/files/92375580/Khachaturian__GayanehMasqueradeSpartacus_.part1.rar
http://rs33cg2.rapidshare.com/files/92376942/Khachaturian__GayanehMasqueradeSpartacus_.part2.rar
A continuation of the Complete Beethoven Series -
CD 39 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=0jc5mc3ggof
CD 40 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=0xh3rk72lqf
CD 41 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=03h8002l67b
CD 42 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=zftkkd9mmbc
CD 43 - http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=063y0dcvvfd
I hope you continue on enjoying!
Sergei Rachmaninoff was born on April 1, 1873, on a large estate near the ancient city of Novgorod, Russia. His father was an army officer and his mother was a wealthy heiress. His father gambled, drank, and squandered his wife's money. He deserted his family when Sergei was nine years old.
By all accounts Young Sergei was a problem child, but had an extraordinary talent at the piano. At age nine he entered the College of Music in St. Petersburg. Because of his natural gift, Sergei did not bother to study.
In 1909, Rachmaninoff made his first visit to the United States, receiving an enthusiastic welcome. Afterwards, he visited America once every season. Rachmaninoff died on March 28, 1943, only a few weeks after attaining his American citizenship, and five days before his seventieth birthday. During his career Rachmaninoff wrote 145 compositions, including piano concertos and symphonies.
Modern audiences received mass exposure to Rachmaninoff’s genius in the movie, “Shine” where his impossibly difficult 3rd Piano Concerto becomes the particular nemesis of the protagonist.
For a man known as a piano prodigy and great symphonic composer, it is surprising that he wrote only four works combining the two: three piano concertos and the incomparable “Rhapsody On A Theme By Paganini.” New rip @320kps.
SERGEI RACHMANINOFF
COMPLETE WORKS FOR
PIANO & ORCHESTRA
Rafael Orozco: Piano
Edo de Wart: Royal Philharmonic
http://rs111l3.rapidshare.com/files/92795326/Rachmaninoff_Piano___Orch.part1.rar
http://rs347gc.rapidshare.com/files/92798034/Rachmaninoff_Piano___Orch.part2.rar
http://rs23tl.rapidshare.com/files/92932929/Rachmaninoff_Piano___Orch.part3.rar
http://rs351gc.rapidshare.com/files/92936157/Rachmaninoff_Piano___Orch.part4.rar
@ Ruggo _ Thank you for your terrific uploads!
And for the older film and soundtrack lovers among us: Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto was used thoughout David Lean's memorable “Brief Encounter”[*] — but had also delighted Marilyn Monroe, during that hot & humid summer in “The Seven Year Itch”[¹]...
___ ___ ___
[¹] (Relevant excerpt from a review):
- ‘Every time I hear it I go to pieces!’
Thus exclaims a breathless Marilyn Monroe in the movie, The Seven Year Itch. As the character Candy Kane, she is listening to Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, one of the most sensuous and romantic pieces of music ever written.
Even if you're not inclined towards classical music, you'd probably recognize some of the tunes from this beautiful piano concerto. Three best-selling pop singles were created out of its lush melodies: “Full Moon and Empty Arms” was popularized by crooners Frank Sinatra and Perry Como, “I Will Bring You Music” was a later adaptation, and in 1976 Eric Carmen extracted yet a third song to hit the pop charts, entitling it “All By Myself (Don't wanna be all by myself).”
Other stars besides Monroe have had their on-screen passions ignited and highlighted by the surging melodies of Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto. This list of lovers includes Greta Garbo, John Barrymore, Elizabeth Taylor, Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour in such films as “Grand Hotel”, “I've Always Loved You”, “Rhapsody”, “September Affair”, and “Somewhere in Time.”
___ ___ ___
[*] You may glance at http://www.filmsite.org/brie.html
Such a shame...
I finally had some free time, and I thought to quickly download dear Ruggo's Rachmaninoff pieces. But, no chance: The links are dead and cold!
@ All - Please, try to avoid giving full names to the compressed rar/zip files. It causes such a waste of your time, at the end._
@ di(aphanous
Whatchu talkin' about di?
Just checked the links (using simple cut and paste method) and no problema. Maybe you're not grabbing enough of the link.
@ ruggo - Better go easy on di.
Look at that picture. I think he's even older than you! ;)
PS- ruggo, did you go by the name "opinionated" over at the F@M chat board?
@isbum
Nope. Never opinionated. just strongly biased toward logic and common sense.
Don't even know what the F@M Chatboard is. Is it worth looking into for kindred souls (or dancing girls)?
@ Ruggo - Nope, I'm experienced enough to be careful. But never again will I follow this unreliable procedure, which fails me for the 2nd time: I simply threw the lot (as I usually do when there are many auto-divided ".partx.rar" links) into the 'Rapid Tools > Link Checker' mill. The answer came out negative for the first two parts. Go figure!
My fault Ruggo, sorry for it. I now have dld all your Rachs.
@ Isbum - Thanks for raising up a protection shield for me; for I may indeed be the sum, in years, of two or three Franklynot regulars (especially if one starts counting from... Kazhakstan)! But I can take a blow or two actually :-)
BTW - Wished though that I'd have a 10th of Leos Janácek's hair on my scalp -- 'cause it's his picture, not mine!
@ ruggo - I see, another fella in Anaheim then. I wouldn't send you to the FSMmessage board, bunch of opinionated bullies who argue night and day.
@ di)aphanous - Behind that stoic (and hairy;) old mans picture, is a truly good natured man. Thanks for the smile my friend.
Ruggo -
I know you are a big classical fan like myself. I was wondering if you or knew anyone that had the complete works of Chopin. I've been looking for that for a while. I've got many complete works, but not that. Many of the cds I've seen around blogs are of Mazurkas, Preludes, Etudes, etc., etc., etc., but nothing complete. Can you help me?
Thanks a lot, and please if you have any requests, send them on down. I'm sure I might be able to help you out.
@shane
Sorry I don't have complete Chopin. Like you, I have a tendency to be a completist and it always bugs me to have bits and pieces.
However, I am currently burning a couple sets of CDs (9) for my concert pianist friend which feature Thibaudet playing the complete solo piano music of SATIE and DEBUSSEY.
If you are interested in any of that, I can rip and upload.
@ Ruggo & Shane
I assume that something might still be missing from here.
Anyway, this seems to be all of my 'Chopin on CD' collection:
_________________________
• Arthur Rubinstein - The Chopin Collection:
· Andante spianato & Grand Polonaise, Op. 22
(Recorded in 1962 - 1965)
· 4 Ballades - Oppi 23, 38, 47 and 52
· Barcarolle, Op. 60 (1946 & 1962 recordings)
· Berceuse, Op. 57 (1946 & 1962 recordings)
· Bolero, Op. 19
· Concertos Nos. 1 & 2
· Fantaisie, Op. 49
· 4 Impromptus - Oppi 29, 36, 51 and 66
· 51 Mazurkas
= Oppi 6, 7, 17, 24, 30, 33, 41, 50, 56, 59, 63,
plus: Oppi posth., 67 and 68
· 19 Nocturnes
= Oppi 9, 15, 27, 32, 37, 48, 55, 62 & 72
· 6 Polonaises - Oppi 26, 40, 44, 53 and 61
· Polonaise-Fantaisie
· 24 Preludes, Op. 28
· 4 Scherzos - Oppi 20, 31, 39 and 54
· Sonata No. 2, Op. 35 (1946 & 1961 recordings)
· Sonata No. 3, Op. 58
· Tarantelle, Op. 43
· Trois nouvelles etudes, Op. posth.
· 14 Waltzes - Oppi 18, 34, 42, 64, 69, 70
plus: Op. posth.
• Samson François:
· 19 Nocturnes = complete
· 24 Preludes = complete
• François René Dushable
· Etudes, op. 10 = complete
· Etudes, op. 25 = complete
• Georges Cziffra:
· 2 Chants Polonais - Transcription de Liszt
· Sonatas Nos. 2 and 3
· Barcarolle, Op. 60
· Bolero, Op. 19
· Tarantelle, Op. 43
· 4 Polonaises - Oppi 40(/1 & /2), 44 and 53
· Polonaise-Fantaisie
· Impromptus = complete
• Emanuel Ax:
· Sherzos = complete
· Six Mazurkas - Var. Oppi
• Maria -João Pires:
· The two Piano Concertos
Orchestre National de l’Opéra de Monte Carlo,
conducted by Armin Jordan [Erato, (P) 1978]
• Janusz Olejniczak playing...
on Chopin's own piano (Pleyel 1831):
· 2 Preludes,
· 4 Mazurkas
· 1 Etude
· 1 Polonaise
· 1 Nocturne
· 1 Waltz
Plus...
· Larghetto, from Piano Concerto No. 2
· Marche funèbre, from Piano Sonata No. 2
Christoph Coin conducts the Ensemble
Mosaïques -- on period instruments.
_________________________
A Note: I owe so much (material & immaterial) to many of you Franklynot-ians, that – no excuse whatsoever – I pledge to make this my personal project, and start contributing. But, please, to help me out keep my promise: Expect no more than one disc a day! That'll be my own ‘set’ minimum and, who knows, I may also be stealing some... redundant spare time in order to make it up to 1½ CD!
Hmm, that sounds more rational than say, "a little bit pregnant" [triple :-)]
I'll try to contain my perfectionism, too. Am unable to upload "Track01, Track02 etc" (no offence), or not to include as many extras as I can. So, for this project I'll adopt a minimum of info: No scans of booklets, no html lists of tracks; senza fioriture but all fully tagged and with a hi-res cover art.
Additionally, I will not upload individual parts. You can request anything of the above now, and it'll come with the remaining contents of that particular disc – tutto completo! It goes without saying that I shall be posting here the list of works (not necessarily a tracklist).
What are you waiting for? I'm done with setting out the parameters
I'm at your temperate disposal.
Honest! "Cross my heart and... hope to live another day"!
PS - All rips will be at 320kb/s — ONLY.
di(aphanous:
I can't wait to listen to these pieces! If you are up for uploading your complete collection of Chopin, I'm ready to listen.
Do you have any requests? I have a variety of classical music. If you have a preference I'll look right away for it for you.
Thanks for your help!
Ruggo -
That sounds great! I hardly have any Satie, and you can't go wrong with Debussey. So far with my complete collections I have Beethoven (of course), Mozart, Bach, most of Copland/Scriabin and John Williams. Others I have a majority of pieces, but not even close to complete.
I also saw that 'Brillant Collections' is coming out with a complete Brahms sometime soon. So I'm looking forward to purchasing that.
Again for you guys, think of some requests and I'll see what I can do.
@ ruggo, shane, di(aphanous -
It's so great seeing all the music and friendship being shared here!
What a pleasure it is being your host!
We'll soon be celebrating the first
1 O O posts. :)
Claude Debussy exercised widespread influence over later generations of composers, both in his native France and elsewhere. He was trained at the Paris Conservatoire, and decided there on a career as a composer rather than as a pianist, his original intention. His highly characteristic musical language, thoroughly French in inspiration, extended the contemporary limits of harmony and form with a remarkably delicate command of nuance, whether in piano writing or in the handling of a relatively large orchestra.
In his writing for the piano, Debussy proved himself a successor to Chopin, who had died in Paris thirteen years before Debussy's birth. His own debt to Chopin was overtly expressed in his two books of etudes (Studies), completed in 1915. The two Arabesques, early works, enjoy continued popularity, as does the Suite bergamasque, with its all-too-popular 'Clair de lune'. Estampes (Prints) evokes the Far East in 'Pagodes', Spain in 'La soire dans Grenade' (Evening in Granada), and autumnal sadness in 'Jardins sous la pluie' (Gardens under the Rain), while L'isle joyeuse turns to Watteau for inspiration. Two sets of Images offer further delicate pictures, while the two books of Preludes offer still more varied images, from 'La fille aux cheveux de lin' (The Girl with Flaxen Hair) and 'La cathdrale engloutie' (The Submerged Cathedral) to the final 'Feux d'artifice' (Fireworks). The single La plus que lente (More than slow) of 1910 and the light-hearted Children's Corner Suite form a further part of a larger series of works.
DEBUSSY
COMPLETE WORKS FOR SOLO PIANO
JEAN-YVES THIBAUDET
http://rs111cg2.rapidshare.com/files/94424976/Debussy_Solo_Piano_Music_Thibaudet.part1.rar
http://rs353tl3.rapidshare.com/files/94427325/Debussy_Solo_Piano_Music_Thibaudet.part2.rar
http://rs337l32.rapidshare.com/files/94429711/Debussy_Solo_Piano_Music_Thibaudet.part3.rar
http://rs207tl2.rapidshare.com/files/94432064/Debussy_Solo_Piano_Music_Thibaudet.part4.rar
http://rs305cg.rapidshare.com/files/94434419/Debussy_Solo_Piano_Music_Thibaudet.part5.rar
http://rs313gc.rapidshare.com/files/94436880/Debussy_Solo_Piano_Music_Thibaudet.part6.rar
http://rs273tl.rapidshare.com/files/94439541/Debussy_Solo_Piano_Music_Thibaudet.part7.rar
http://rs72tl2.rapidshare.com/files/94440693/Debussy_Solo_Piano_Music_Thibaudet.part8.rar
Thanks, Ruggo! I look forward to listening to this music!!
For some people, Erik Satie is known as an eccentric who gave his works odd titles that seem almost derisive and ridiculous: Chilled Pieces, Drivelling Preludes (for a Dog), Dried up Embryos ...
Many believe that this was not only a result of his bizarre wit but also a way of offending the music critics at the time. It was known that Satie didn't like music critics and that the feelings were mutual.
Those performing his works are well aware of his weird instructions to the performer.The instructions are meant as a dialogue between the composer and the performer only: To whoever. I forbid anyone to read the text aloud during the musical performance. Failure to obey to my instruction will provoke my just indignation against anyone so presumptuous. No exception to this rule will be granted. From the short piano piece, titled Vexations (1893)
Even though Satie was a fascinating person in many ways, it is his music that is the major reason for his popularity. He was very creative and had a great influence on his colleagues Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel and Francis Poulenc. Because his music was ahead of his time and regarded as timeless, he also has great influence on many modern composers.
His most famous works are the serene Gymnopédies (three similar piano pieces), the mystical Vexations (short piano piece repeated 840 times), the popular piano suite Trois Morceaux en forme de Poire (duet), the ballet Parade (with some very odd instruments) and the ballet Relâche (with film sequences included).
His music was rather unknown and underrated until the 1960s. His popularity has grown ever since.
ERIC SATIE
COMPLETE WORK FOR SOLO PIANO
Jean-Yves Thibaudet
http://rs280tl3.rapidshare.com/files/94616097/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part01.rar
http://rs340tg.rapidshare.com/files/94620822/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part02.rar
http://rs22l32.rapidshare.com/files/94625874/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part03.rar
http://rs290l3.rapidshare.com/files/94630610/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part04.rar
http://rs34gc.rapidshare.com/files/94635807/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part05.rar
http://rs17l33.rapidshare.com/files/94640731/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part06.rar
http://rs337tg.rapidshare.com/files/94645298/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part07.rar
http://rs224tl.rapidshare.com/files/94649906/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part08.rar
http://rs85l32.rapidshare.com/files/94654153/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part09.rar
http://rs375cg.rapidshare.com/files/94654503/Satie_Complete_Solo_Piano_Thibaudet.part10.rar
@ Shane & Ruggo
More piano music: Frédéric Chopin, 1st installement...
Remarks: Incl. a 3% Recovery record in this one, all the rest come with 5% Rr. Must've been daydreaming yesterday, when I started making the scans; forgot to reset the resolution, so that today's images are small [@ only 72dpi]. I promise to upload high resolution front covers at the end of this project. Thanks for your patience.
CHOPIN - 2 Concertos pour Piano (Maria-João Pires)
http://rapidshare.com/files/95621545/CH_PRS_PC1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/95627358/CH_PRS_PC2.rar
... will continue today, with *five* additions.
Enjoy, in moderate portions! :-)
___
Note that all of these discs will be extracted into a main one and, then, in their respective sub-directories.
• Artur Rubinstein: The Chopin Collection
CHOPIN - “Nocturnes” I (Artur Rubinstein, CD1):
__[Op. 9, 15, 7 and 32]__
http://rapidshare.com/files/95642241/CH-ARB_Nc1a.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/95646137/CH-ARB_Nc1b.rar
+
CHOPIN - “Nocturnes” II (Artur Rubinstein, CD2):
__[Op. 37, 48, 55, 62 and 72]__
http://rapidshare.com/files/95652845/CH-ARB_Nc2a.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/95655848/CH-ARB_Nc2b.rar
_________________________
CHOPIN - “Mazurkas” I (Artur Rubinstein, CD3):
__[Op. 6, 7, 17, 24, 30, 33 and 41/1]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/95662383/CH-ARB_Mz1a.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/95669831/CH-ARB_Mz1b.rar
+
CHOPIN - “Mazurkas” II (Artur Rubinstein, CD4):
__[Op. 41/2-4, 50, 56, 59, Op.Posth., 67 & 68]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/95683445/CH-ARB_Mz2a.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/95637075/CH-ARB_Mz2b.rar
Wish you lots of listening pleasure!
di(aphanous and ruggo -
I should just call in sick from work and download all of this music for my listening pleasure. I can't wait to download them all. Thank you so much! Di(aphanous, I can't wait for your next installments.
Thank you to both!
Multifaceted curiosity, BOF "La Note Bleue" / OST "Blue Note"; or...
1991 saw a 'twin' release of this very same disc: In record stores it could be found both at the Classical Music section -- figuring under the title "Genuine Chopin - Janusz Olejniczak playing on Chopin's own piano (Pleyel 1831)" -- as well as on the Soundtracks' racks, being the OST to a Chopin biopic, called "La Note Bleue"! Thus, I have also included that fancier front cover here, because mine is of the more 'conservative' kind.
CHOPIN - Janusz Olejniczak playing on Chopin's own piano:
http://rapidshare.com/files/95723735/CH-JO_BN1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/95692558/CH-JO_BN2.rar
Surely not the best interpretation, and a modern Steinway of Bössendorf sounds 'oh so very brilliant' to our ears. But listening to the intimate fortepiano sonorities of Chopin's era (moreover, in this case, Chopin's miniature paintings played on his own instrument) is a totally unique experience.
Allow yourself to dreamily immerse into a long-gone sensual atmosphere of early 19th century candle-lit living quarters. A melancholic, pale young friend creates music just for you! And the muted urban sounds of a small town can hardly penetrate the thick walls. Imagine!
___
@ Shane - Take care, keep yourself healthy.
@ Ruggo - I'm so sorry...
I don't see in here my 'Big Thanks', expressed for your Claude Debussy / Jean-Yves Thibaudet uploads. I have greatly appreciated these sets. I wish I could offer you a French bottle of wine!
@di(aphenous
A bottle of French wine!
Any chance you can have that delivered by a bevy of French dancing girls?
Oh what the heck, Ruggo, I can afford it! For a couple of extra "ancients francs" they can be sun-tanned and wear the original banana skirts. Would you pick up the insurance bill?
I forgot the postscript/warning: Mind you... a clause in their contracts prohibits them hitch-hiking, or entering a Mustang! ;-)
I’ll be singing Schubert in concert Friday night. But I won’t subject you to that. You have all become too friendly of a community to alienate at this point.
However, in honor of staged music (or concert for that matter), here are some of the world’s greatest opera choruses.
From a singer’s standpoint, you can’t really beat the basic simplicity of an opera chorus. By-in-large they are written without much consideration to complex harmonies and polyphonic fireworks. Sometimes, unison is best to get the most out of your lower compensated vocal resources. Invariably, the chorus has a great melody and, if you’re really lucky, lots of sound and fury without too much stomping around while you’re trying to sing.
I love opera choruses. And here are some of the greatest.
GRAND & GLORIOUS OPERA CHORUSES
Robert Shaw
Atlanta Symphony Orch. & Choruses
http://rs286gc.rapidshare.com/files/96883603/Grand_and_Glorious_Opera_Choruses.part1.rar
http://rs45tl2.rapidshare.com/files/96885075/Grand_and_Glorious_Opera_Choruses.part2.rar
1. Happy We!- Handel
2. When I Am Laid In Earth/With Drooping Wings - Purcell
3. Zhivi I Zdravstvui - Moussorgsky
4. Les Voici - Bizet
5. O Welche Lust! - Beethoven
6. Wach'auf! - Wagner
7. Treulich Gefuhrt - Wagner
8. Begluckt' Darf Nun Dich -Wagner
9. Freudig Begrussen Wir - Wagner
10.Le Fosche Notturne Spoglie - Verdie
11. Que Interminabile Andirivieni!-Donizetti
12. Zitti, Zitti - Verdi
13. Va, Pensiero - Verdi
14. Regina Coeli -Mascagni
Most of you guys know I'm not really the classical buff, but here's a little thing I thought might be of interest. Just 4 tracks, but choice...
Leonard Bernstein "Conducts Ravel" (1990), @ VBR:
http://rapidshare.com/files/97130557/LB-ConductsRavel.zip
di(aphanous -
I didn't get to say how grateful I am that you gave us Chopin music. I just finally got a chance to download the pieces, and I thank you very much. When I get a chance (away from my job), I'm going to post some more complete sets for you guys and everything else.
Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing what else you and Ruggo have up your sleeve.
@ filmpack - Thanks! I'm downloading it right now.
@ Shane - You're most welcome!
___
@ ANY + the above: A small suggestion... It does help and also makes it more attractive (not to say "more accessible"), if you could mention the name of the musical pieces too.
___
• Artur Rubinstein: The Chopin Collection (Part 2)
· CHOPIN - “Ballades” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 5):
_[Op. 23, 38, 47 and 52]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/97295075/CH-ARB_Bal.rar
+
· CHOPIN - “Scherzos” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 5):
_[Op. 20, 31, 39 and 54]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/97302881/CH-ARB_Sch.rar
___
· CHOPIN - “Polonaises” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 6):
_[Op. 26, 40, 44, 53, 61 & Polonaise-Fantaisie]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/97313596/CH-ARB_POL1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/97323538/CH-ARB_POL2.rar
___
· CHOPIN - “Sonatas & Fantaisie” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 7):
_[Sonata No. 2, Op. 35 (the 1961 recording)
http://rapidshare.com/files/97327366/CH-ARB_SON1.rar
+
_[Sonata No. 3, Op. 58; Fantaisie, Op. 49]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/97335017/CH-ARB_SON2.rar
___
· CHOPIN - “Piano Concertos” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 8):
_[Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 11]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/97348803/CH-ARB_PC1.rar
+
_[Piano Concerto No. 2, Op.21]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/97355003/CH-ARB_PC2.rar
___
@ Ruggo - Break a (metaphorical) leg, tomorrow Friday!
Tap...tap...tap.
(the hall goes quiet)
Ladies and gentlemen,
Master Chimezatmidnight has returned to the Hall!
(audience stands for thundering applause)
And we begin... once again. :)
di(aphanous -
I'm loving the Chopin series that you are providing! Keep them coming!
As a couple of requests to you, do you have the Etudes, Preludes and Valses? So far everything you've given me has been gold.
Also, do you have any requests? I've downloaded yours, but I would like to help you if you have any.
Thank you!
Here is the final instalment of this 11-disc set. Next I will upload the "Etudes" and a brilliant, more recent edition of the "Preludes" — a French 'touch', this time.
• Artur Rubinstein: The Chopin Collection (Part 3 of 3)
· CHOPIN - “Waltzes” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 9)
http://rapidshare.com/files/98393295/CH-ARB_WLZ1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/98390424/CH-ARB_WLZ2.rar
___
· CHOPIN - “Impromptus etc” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 10)
http://rapidshare.com/files/98387054/CH-ARB_IMP1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/98379911/CH-ARB_IMP2.rar
[incl. "Barcarolle", "Trois Nouvelles Etudes, Op.Posth.", "Bolero", "Berceuse", "Tarentelle", and "Andante Spianato et Grande Polonaise Brillante"]
___
· CHOPIN - “Preludes + 1946” (Artur Rubinstein, CD 11)
_[The 24 Preludes, Op. 28; monophonic recording of 1946]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/98376634/CH-ARB_PRLD.rar
+
_[1946 recordings of Sonata No. 2, Berceuse, Barcarolle]_
http://rapidshare.com/files/98372216/CH-ARB_1946.rar
__________________________
Unrelated to my Chopin project but just as Romantic!
This one is first and foremost for Chimezatmidnight:
Jascha Horenstein conducts the Vienna Symphony Orchestra
• Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 1, “Titan”
http://rapidshare.com/files/98748498/Jascha.Gustav1.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/98740855/Jascha.Gustav1.part2.rar
Note: Monophonic recording of 1953 [ADD]. My rip @320 kb/s, with 5% recovery record.
It comes from a 2-disc set. (On CD2: Same year, same giant conductor, same Mahler's own ‘Wiener’ orchestra play the Original Version of Bruckner's Symphony No. 9, too.)
· the scanned booklet and tray covers can be found here...
http://rapidshare.com/files/98757255/Jascha.Gustav_Anton.rar
___
Well of course – if there is interest, I could also upload the Bruckner CD.
Whoa...!
Holly mackerel...What is this..?
I just can't believe it. There is so much magnificent music man has created, yet mercilessly short lives we have, we simply can not leave this world by claiming :"I've heard it all" :((
Our dear friend @parzival had a great share earlier by the Turkish composer Ahmed Adnan Saygun. Many thanks to his great share as well as all the beautiful generosity we experience here.
Few years ago during a leisure/business travel to Istanbul I had received this CD as a gift. I guess if it were an LP, it would've turned gray by now :)
Yunus Emre Oratorio by Ahmed Adnan Saygun. Booklet-covers incld. @320
What is quite remarkable is Mr. Saygun is the product of the newly formed Turkish Republic which was merely removed a few years after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire.
The contrasting environment of the early Turkish Republic and the social and art life of the Ottoman Empire are not only vastly different but quite remarkable. The enclosed booklet is quite an interesting read because it gives a very accurate portrayal of the mindset and the intentions of the reforms accomplished in the mere 12-15 years of the two totally different nations, yet of the same people.
The music here is beautiful and quite easy to like; it could easily make a "great soundtrack".
Enjoy the music and the little capsule of history present in the booklet.
Please note: The links below are marked incorrectly by me:
PART 2 is really part 1 and thus part 3 really is part 2.
Cover& Booklet:
http://rapidshare.com/files/99495262/Yunus_Emre_Oratorio_-_A.AdnanSaygunCVRS-Bklt.rar
Part 2:
http://rapidshare.com/files/99499431/Yunus_Emre_Oratorio-P2..rar
Part 3:
http://rapidshare.com/files/99501747/Yunus_Emre_Oratorio-P3..rar
Enjoy and thanks for all this beautiful music, to you all.
@ riddim1903,
Thank you so very much for the notes, as well as the music. I visited this page in haste, before shutting down my PC, so this was a fine surprise.
PS You can praise Parzival as much as you like, for my part — I'm taken with him. By the way... because at times Parzival is not very meticulous, and I've yet to post the following at his blog's comments:
You can find the front cover of the two Saygun Symphonies (plus info on the performers, if you look for it), at...
http://www.cduniverse.com/images.asp?pid=6513762&style=classical&image=front&title=Rasilainen+%2F+Rheinland%2DPfalz+State+Orch+%2F+Saygun+%2D+Saygun%3A+Symphony+No+1+%26+2+%2F+Rasilainen%2C+Et+Al+CD
@ di(aphanous - I believe Parzival has been saving his "meticulous" for our "Love Scenes" covers he's creating. ;)
@ isbum - Invariably you manage to come up with the wisest funny comments!
I meant “... the funniest wise comments” ;-) [times 2]
From the bit I know of Parzi, I wonder if he'd follow his inclination; and so, instead of a Caribbean sunset, he'll insert wild bushes and rose-thorns in his treatment of Love Scenes (just a dissonant touch). I'm all for it!
@ riddim1903
Thanks my friend, I'm glad you liked the Saygun Symphonies!
Also thanks a lot for that Saygun-supplement you generously added - very, very interesting (though I liked the more accessable [?] Symphonies somewhat better).
@ di(aphanous
You wouldn't know how long it took me to get rid of being "meticulous" (and what high price it cost)...
For what it's worth, my instincts still like to push me towards being "meticulous", but then I make a conscious effort and just let go...
Feels good to ease up eventually.
No wonder I hated college more with every year I spent (wasted?) there.
;)
@ isbum
Fear not, the covers are on their way and should hit stores on sunday.
If things go well, you can even choose between two different versions (in case my favorite choice will be dismissed as too edgy or offbeat, or too plain melancholly...):)
And for those of us who have already listened to the superb compilation I pose the rhethorical questions: Would a pacific sundown with butterflies and hummingbirds in the background suit the music?
And if yes, would I be the right one to design such sappy covers...? ;)
Enjoy your anticipation.
@ parzival - It's a serious collection of music.
I am certain you will give it a serious cover.
On a side note, the neighbor across from me went through a very public breakup. His girlfriend brought several big dudes and a Sheriff's Deputy to get her belongings back.
The following day, his mom came by and said the wrong things, so he threw her out and proceeded to break every dish in his kitchen.
Ain't love grand? ;)
@ Parzival - I've stated that "I'm all for it", and can't wait to be awe-struck by the result.
@ isbum - “Love”, my friend, is multifaceted; hatred though takes always the form of a clinching fist.
Don't let the misleading label of "Studies" fool you! These works are not merely finger exercises. Their colours and shifting moods are not technicalities here, but all-encompasing human. From then "tender" to the "thunder-ous", I would say.
• Chopin - “Etudes” (François-René Duchable)
[uploaded in two complete and independed parts]
· 12 Etudes, Op. 10 (= Tracks 01-12)
http://rapidshare.com/files/98467950/CH-FRD_ETUD1.rar
· 12 Etudes, Op. 25 (= Tracks 13-24)
http://rapidshare.com/files/99766546/CH-FRD_ETUD2.rar
Enjoy!
di(aphanous -
Always a pleasure seeing the music you provide for us. I look forward to listening to the Chopin Etudes!
@ Shane - Thanks for posting a comment. It also functions as a nice break to the monotony of the download-links.
Well, it has been awhile. And I gave my neurotoxic brain a few remedial chances to figure out how to do this again.
I'm happy -- ecstatic -- that my first post on returning is the music I most requested here and elsewhere. Sunday night the illustrious Dr. Isabella Rossellini arrived with something for my daughter: an actual MGM/UA VHS issue of Dreamchild.
As daughter was watching it for the second time last night, I had such a yearning for David Del Tredici's Final Alice. I found it -- one seed, no peers -- on you know where. I went fishing, it bit and I reeled it in.
So here it is: Del Tredici's complete Final Alice with a unique Barbara Hendricks performance and a first rate Solti leading the CSO in their mutual prime.
Part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?atzswzzyd5y
Part 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntnwp3xn5ym
Oh, Chimezatmidnight, and I'm happy to be the first in line to welcome you!
Chance[?] has it that your bring along a present which, as you might have read on another page, I was eager to find for you... way back last year (it still upsets me not knowing where I have hidden it, no doubt together with some other LPs).
Haven't listened to Final Alice for the last six or seven years, and I anticipate my renewed joy in doing so this evening.
Thank you so very much!
PS - Beware that the traffic here is, for the moment, less busy than it was in the earliest weeks of Eden... So please, don't feel too disappointed if you only get one or two responses.
@ mimagol
@ grandpa sugar
@ shane
@ brisco32
@ riddim1903
@ ruggo, parzival & rocket of the "Magnificent 7"
I thank you all for contributing to the warmth of this place.
By all means, carry on! :)
di)aphanous --
Being here's the reward -- whether the poster's wanted or not!
I am going through A Lot Of Mahler for you. And I am tempted to post both the Wit and Boulez 8th Symphonies for the heck of it. I'll start with what's OOP but I may make an oops. (Damn chemo brain.)
I do have a request (as I pore slowly through everyone's posting and send square footage of my hard drive packing).
Does anyone have any Granville Bantock to put up? I keep thinking I have some and it has slipped under my floorboards with all my LPs...
Harry Partch would be out of place here, right?
@ isbum
No he wouldn't!!! :))
Not at all...!
@ Chimez,
1) Point taken, about the reward being... well, being here. I can think it, but not "feel" that that's enough — especially now, a period in which I maintain a few too many unresponsive relations.
2a) Halt! No offence: Thank you but "no, thanks", not more Mahler for me!
Apart from having twice the complete symphonies – Edo de Waart (Netherlands Phil.) & Eliahu Inbal (with the "Berliner", though I can't find the box) – I also have them loose (Horenstein cond. the 9th, plus Bernstein, Maazel, Haitink, Mehta, Vonk, Szell).
In fact, checking what still happened to be in my bookcase – and not stored away in carton boxes — I found a 2nd disc of Horenstein / Mahler's first (on Unicorn-Kanchana this time, as one of these two transfers had a better sound).
Oh, and did I mention the Song-Cycles? No time, my friend. Had promised myself a Del Tredici evening, but yesterday I did not manage to taste it.
2b) A single exception to the above: I continue to opt and will never cease to welcome: Any, and as many, Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen.
3) And one recommendation, if it's missing from your stock: Mahler's 4th, with the incomparable Concertgebouw / Haiting / Ameling ticket.
4) I'm sorry, unable to be of assistance in your Granville Bantock quest.
Reading again my previous comments, I see that I sound too bloody business-like. Apologies. Nothing to do with "coolness"; I am just a little bit upset in general at the moment, maintaining a few too many unresponsive relations.
@ isbum - Read Parzival.
@ Parzival - I second, not simply because of how Partch sounds similar... to your nick-name in German (right or wrong, I always read it as "Pártchy-Fahl" in my mind).
di(aphanous,
I couldn't agree with you more about the Haitink/Ameling -- that LP never slipped away from me.
I'm going to post (what else?) a post-concert Schumann recital done Christopher Eschenbach and mezzo Rinat Shaham.
Would you like Horenstein's Bruckner 8 & 9?
Would anyone like some Lyritas?
Rozhdestvensky/Prokofiev?
isbum,
Go for Harry! (My second favorite Harry after Nilsson.)
Chimezatmidnight,
Very happy to see that you knew and appreciated the Haitink/Ameling. I have this on CD, if you'd like it for an audio-comparison to your LP .
Bruckner's 8th? YES and THANK YOU! As I said on the last line of my post above [March 11, 2008 11:13 AM], I already have his 9th.
Looking forward to Schumann, too.
Regarding Lyritas, I'not going to be repeating ad infinitum my non-victorious struggle with time. I must become very choosey. So if you have one or two things of what I've never heard before – but would love to discover...
=> Ernest John Moeran's Symphony in G mn (Boult), or, the Thea Musgrave album (Concerto for Orchestra, Clarinet Concerto, Horn Concerto, Monologue, Excursions). But, please, take your time.
Rozhdestvensky/Prokofiev: I will have to pass, for the "known reason".
...Now you reminded me of this: Somewhere, where, I must have the Shostakovich operetta / musical "Moskva, Cheremushki", by Rozhdestvensky. Anyway I've been planning to upload soon, a Shostakovich double-bill sountrack.
Have you paid a visit to my miserably neglected “Temporary Shelter” blog? You might be interested in at least Berio/Berberian, Gianni Schicchi, and the Hadjidákis "Gioconda's Smile.
Unpronounceable, so just copy/paste it http://riparoprovvisorio.blogspot.com/
Well, salt me chips! I never saw that coming!
"Delusion of Fury"
by Harry Partch
http://rapidshare.com/files/100887011/HP_DelusionOfFury.zip
EnJoY!
di(aphaphanous
That was not the first Mahler recording I had... but just as importantly it was the first out of the Walter/Bernstein ethos.
I will be your privileged guest. Right now I am going through a welter of interesting tests to see if a limited stem cell transplant is timely... so I am not online as much now as I expect to be soon.
If you'd like faster access to that Moskva on Chandos, I would be happy to post it soon: it is on my nightstand in the middle of a short pile of CDs I want to re-add to my harddrive.
isbum,
You just doubled my Partch collection.
BRUCKNER: SYMPHONY NO. 8
HORENSTEIN, COND | LSO
1st movement
http://www.mediafire.com/?nihuzdqbjyr
2nd & 3rd movements
http://www.mediafire.com/?ya20mtcwucm
4th movement
http://www.mediafire.com/?zcim20tnbuw
scoredaddy, o scoredaddy --
Thank you for the welcome!
Do you have the new Merry Mount?
Would you like the new Merry Mount?
scoredaddy and chimez have such Klami hands...
Dunno if you have this version... but it's now here.
Klami: Pyorteita Act I; Violin Concerto
Lahti SO, Vänskä | Koh
http://www.mediafire.com/?mnchelnmyj3
di(aphanous,
I'm strangely pleased that you seek what I don't have: sometimes another person's passion is quietly thrilling.
All I have with Thea Musgrave is a snapshot together from a friend's concert at Queens College. I do have two other recordings of the Moeran, the recent Naxos and the premiere on Dutton.
Any interest in either of the latter?
SHOSTAKOVICH: THE NEW BABYLON & A YEAR IS LIKE A LIFETIME
Strobel | SWR Rundfunkorchester Kaiserslautern
The New Babylon, Part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?goejyto1cdy
The New Babylon, Part 2
A Year Is Like A Lifetime
http://www.mediafire.com/?ymc11xmds0z
Under da sea
Swims Zemlinsky
Dot Alma Mahler
Sure make him holler
Like a banshee!
His little mermaid makes it to home
Because her sisters turn her to foam
Ending's much better
'Cause it's much wetter!
Praise Zemlinsky!
Zemlinsky: Die Seejungfrau (The Little Mermaid); Psalm XIII; Psalm XXIII
Chailly, cond. | RSO Berlin
http://www.mediafire.com/?zjdznyabt40
SKALKOTTAS: 36 GREEK DANCES; THE RETURN OF ULYSSES
Christodoulou | BBC SO
Part One
http://www.mediafire.com/?2f1j9tqcqyi
Part Two
http://www.mediafire.com/?ymbpdclnyft
CARL SHURICHT CONDUCTS WAGNER
Shuricht | RSO Stuttgart SWR
http://www.mediafire.com/?4m8g1mzwgzu
@ chimezatmidnight - My roommate sang your version of "Under the Sea" last night and I nearly fell off my chair laughing so hard.
It's pure joy seeing you having fun here again my friend!
LISZT: DANTE SYMPHONY
Sinopoli | Staatskapelle Dresden
First & Second Movements
http://www.mediafire.com/?mz8mijpxgwl
Third Movement; Cortege & Sarabande
http://www.mediafire.com/?pvzp9mkrudw
isbum,
Is Cliff Edwards singing, "Fun With Music! Fun With Music! Making Music Is Fun"?
I'm REALLY trying to have fun. And I am here!
Everything else... well, it don't want to have much fun with me.
Got the delightful as Gilbert and Sullivan Poisoned Kiss by Vaughan Williams coming up --
For all you Hawthorne lovers, it's another wonderful variation of the amazingly great Rappacini's Daughter.
@ chimezatmidnight - I don't have an email address for you, but if you would like to see the new location of your Hall, please go here...
http://isbumstown.blogspot.com/
Just click on your "sign" and blip! Here you are again! :)
Chimesatmidnight, it’s good to have you back where you belong.
Last year I was lucky enough to sing the bass solo part for a concert performance of Beethoven’s Choral Fantasia (which is sort of his 9th Symphony try-out in pmore or less piano concerto form with choral ending).
The pianist was Pino Dovalis Benetatos (Ms. Penny), a good friend who will be performing again soon with another pianist in a concert of pieces for two pianos.
Recently she shared with me one of her favorite albums and I want to share it with you here. This is really something unique. Instead of solo instrument and orchestra, it is two pianos.
GEORGE GERSHWIN
RHAPSODY IN BLUE/CONCERTO IN F
Katia & Marielle Labeque (pianists)
http://rs347tl2.rapidshare.com/files/101283200/Katia_Marielle_Labeque_-_George_Gershwin_-_Rhapsody_in_Blue__Piano_Concerto_in_F.rar
VAUGHAN WILLIAMS: THE POISONED KISS
HICKOX | BBC NOW
Part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?mdunxyzdq9z
Part 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?bvmv3sexe32
Part 3
http://www.mediafire.com/?oyyv3n0zozr
Part 4
http://www.mediafire.com/?yliqdmbxyyy
ruggo,
How great of you to post that -- I bought it decades ago when it was news that one of the sisters had married John Mahavishnu.
I'm about to try and post Christ on the Mount of Olives for Good Friday and Easter...
Before my read picks me up to travel to a pagan circle which will try to undo this cancer!
Beethoven: Christus Am Ölberge (Christ On The Mount Of Olives)
Rilling | Bach-Collegium Stuttgart
http://www.mediafire.com/?d2dtwxjv2gm
Sondheim: Sunday In The Park With George (The New Sam Buntrock Production)
To me it is the best realization of this play ever -- or of any other Sondheim work.
Part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmnjjvjejys
Part 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?hdtd3w4cdmm
Part 3
http://www.mediafire.com/?cmbgmijusax
Jee-sus! What's happening here? I see all around me big smiles, and little tables with cakes, candies, a bowl with fruit salad, and a carafe with grappa. Are you literally having a Greek symposium?
@ Ruggo and Shane - My concluding Chopin upload:
• Copin - “Preludes” (played by Samson François)
http://rapidshare.com/files/101261687/CH-SF_PREL.rar
Enjoy!
Sorry, I've misspelled it above. Should read
• Chopin - “Preludes” (played by Samson François)
Shostakovich: The Fall of Berlin; The Unforgettable Year 1919
Adriano | Moscow SO
The Fall of Berlin
http://www.mediafire.com/?lt9dyzsvswm
The Unforgettable Year 1919
http://www.mediafire.com/?tkbxczicyvf
@ Chimez, half-jokingly, I think I'm hallucinating – great and lesser minds cross paths:
1) One of Shostakovich's soundtracks I mentioned earlier (and had it up in my sleeve) was indeed "New Babylon". Never mind, my version will end up at my blog, coupled with "Golden Hills" — 'done' by Gennady Roz, if you please.
2) A week ago I ripped Stephen Sondheim's "Sunday in The Park..." (staged, with Peters and Patinkin) to iPod's mp4 format, for my daughter. Thought of trying to isolate its audio, and post it at isbum's upcoming DownTown; but then you serve us an even hotter(?) meal ;-(
Do you plan to do the same with "Into the Woods"? I have the DVD, but found the OBC recording somewhere at only 128kb/s.
Was perhaps Skalkottas a bait for me? I surely fell for it. I AM Greek; and these 'light' dances of his I only had on a now lost cassette.
I don't know where to start; so, Thank you for that, and for Hamlet (what a film - slash "movie" - was that! I, the forgetful one, I can now dare type that actor's name by heart, even if I should write it wrongly as... Innokenty Smoktunovskyi).
Thanks again, and for all the rest.
PS to Chimezatmidnight:
I had answered you at my blog, under the LJ's picture. Was I wrong?
@ di(aphanous - I have the Peter's version of "Into the Woods" ripped @32o and will be happy to share it at I.B. Fane & Son's after opening.
I am certain my roomie is going to enjoy hearing the new version Chimezatmidnight has posted.
TIA Chimez! :)
I'm sorry -- I had entirely forgotten the source for those.
I'll recopy those as mp3s.
Thomson: The Plow That Broke The Plains; The River
Gil-Ordonez | Post-Classical Ensemble
http://www.mediafire.com/?n2a9bmpiqmn
Welcome to the new home of
Chimezatmidnight's Classical Music Hall!
Click your back arrow (button) to remain "in Downtown" or
"franklynot" at the top of this comments page to go back to our Main Page.
@ di(aphanous - I'm not sure what you want deleted mate. But I usually delete the posts marked
"this post has been removed by the author".
Prokofiev: The Tale of the Stone Flower
da( -- whether this appeals or not... all Nos, no Rozh!
Noseda | BBC Phil
Link 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?nnzzjtz5iu0
Link 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?c0wzn2bmypw
Link 3
http://www.mediafire.com/?wlwnniwabya
Link 4
http://www.mediafire.com/?zeimg3jj0sy
Greek family name,
german nationality,
heady style,
sicko music:
Hans-Joachim Hespos -
TIGHTROPE DANCE
(Manfred Reichert/Ensemble 13)
a (acoustic adventure)
http://rapidshare.com/files/101258181/HJH-TD1.rar
b (songs)
http://rapidshare.com/files/101562989/HJH-TD2.rar
"Enjoy"
@chimesatmidnight
Stone Flower has always been of my favorites, but my library has been sadly lacking...until now.
Thanks
Chimez,
Would you mind to reconvert and re-upload the last five tracks of Hamlet?
Track #18 contains "plops" that I could not correct (from 3:07 till the end). Chunks of music are missing from tracks #19 & #20. And the Nos. 23-25 seem to be empty.
Thank you.
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue
Phillips, Bardon | Botstein, BBC SO
Link 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?m1mm1ernlmn
Link 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?m2lwu3
MORTON FELDMAN -
Cello and Orchestra (1972)
http://rapidshare.com/files/101727662/MF-CO.rar
Piano and Orchestra (1975)
http://rapidshare.com/files/101732310/MF-PO.rar
Oboe and Orchestra (1976)
http://rapidshare.com/files/101741258/MF-OO.rar
Flute and Orchestra (1977/78)
http://rapidshare.com/files/101747680/MF-FO.rar
(Hans Zender/Saarbruecken Radio Symphony Orchestra )@320
Happy Easter!
REPOST! (Not riposte)
Shostakovich: Hamlet
Yablonsky | Russian Phil
http://www.mediafire.com/?9fj1rlbryyl
di(aphanous --
Here is Skalkottas in his alternate 12 tone self, along with the tonal ballet with Greek folk motifs.
Skalkottas: The Maiden of Death; Piano Concerto No. 1; Ouverture Concertante
Madge | Iceland SO, Christodoulou
http://www.mediafire.com/?4jt9d0giztl
@ Parzival - Immensely grateful for your Feldman quartet!
Were you also "Dreaming Of A White... Easter"? I almost had a road accident on my - and my company's – way to the theatre, last evening. Survived by a hair! Thank God, the Greek-Orthodox one falls at the end of April.
___
@ Chimezatmidnight - Thanks for straighting up Hamlet's limb.
Am listening to Skalkottas' works at this moment. I consider it a BPP (Big Personal Present, as everything's subjective) that merits an honorary 'Thank You'.
Amazed yet again, how fresh it all sounds! Shame he's so little known; on the other hand... nobody's ever been disappointed having made his acquaintance. Some consolation in that, isn't there?
di(aphanous
How wonderfully true that is about Skalkottas.
I will be posting his The Sea later today... also his Violin Concerto.
BIS never veers away from the artists to whom they are dedicated.
Is anyone here interested in Jon Leifs?
@ di(aphanous
Thanks, glad someone enjoys Feldman.
It took me many years to fully appreciate his works - now I love 'em.
Easter sucked (also weather-wise), but since I ain't got a car, I didn't have much trouble - except being poor and not able to turn on the heat is a drawback, too...;)
@ chimezatmidnight
So good to have you back here.
Thanks so much for the Skalkottas; some months ago someone requested something by Sklakottas at my blog and I was ashamed not to be able to help out.
Very interesting composer, great to expand my kowledge. Thanks again.
Skalkottas: The Sea, Four Images, Cretan Feast
Fidetzis Byron | Iceland SO
http://www.mediafire.com/?i0zyi2sw1jy
Skalkottas: Violin Concerto; Largo Sinfonico
Demertzis | Christodoulou, Iceland SO
http://www.mediafire.com/?1f7qxyzwcoo
Leifs | Symphony No. 1 "Saga Symphony"
Vanska | Iceland SO
http://www.mediafire.com/?a2gwq0ty90n
Your ears may need airbags.
What a class hatrick, chimez!
Why, that Leifs is FANTASTIC!
How am I supposed to digest so much great music in so short a time?
Thanks, your stocks really hold amazing things!
parzival,
We share, we share!!!
I have a few more Leifs to fall this spring...
@ chimez - I adore you! :)
Me, too. :)
=> A Very Personal Project:
13 works by "LJ", plus 1 by "AD".
• The Non-Operatic Side of Leos Janácek
http://rapidshare.com/users/KSHDH2
To those not accustomed to enjoy Classical Music, I would recomment only the joyful “Sinfonietta” — because it won't please me to disappoint anybody, particularly isbum's friends.
If after that thorough exaltation you feel up to it: You may move on, to the beautiful but darker "Missa Glagolskaya", which also has vocal inputs. Finally, perhaps you could also add the good-hearted "Lachian Dances".
As for the more adventurous grown-up kids among us, there is "Rikadla" (Nursery Rhymes); sparkled with enough dissonance to satisfy a Parzival.
___
If one cares to know me better (though I don't see why anyone of you should): My most detailed portrait is painted in the Piano-cycle "On the Overgrown Path" — high-lights and shadows accentuated, as if I were a manic-depressive. Regrettably though there's one, life-saving omission: My ever-present sense of humour is hidden behind the core of my soul, tenderly melancoly "Madonna of Frydek".
___
A few additional remarks:
· This compilation was made about two years ago, for personal use, and was suitable to fit onto a 74-minute CD-R. As it was too large at 320 kbps, I reverted to using a 256kb/s for all albums. But then, having too much of free space (the flip side of the coin), I decided to place a Drorák composition at the end of Janácek's ...
· I'm hoping to add at least one more work to the above, that I feel is essential.
· The “Sinfonietta” archive contains Word docs of a self-made inlay & tray back (as well as a cover variant for black "floppy" CD-cases that I use), and an xls sheet detailing the works.
By the way: In two cases (out of 14) – for album Nos. 02 & 07 – I had uploaded the wrong "m3u" playlists. The correct(ed) ones are here http://rapidshare.com/files/102320678/2.corrected.playlists.rar
@ isbum, I'm not displeased that you haven't open (as yet?) an eBookStore. ;-)
@ Chimez - That is unfair! You monopolize the beauty of verbal expression. How can anyone else ever top that jewel of a phrase, such as yours above? I envy your mind...
I can only paraphrase you, by saying that I hope you will have many more seeds planted, that may spring up this fall (Latino-American-wise).
Do you, by any exceptional luck, have this EMI edition (with Thomas Adès, Ian Bostridge and Ruby Philogene) to be added to the LJ list?
http://www.amazon.com/Janacek-Diary-One-Who-Disappeared/dp/B00005O83M
Otherwise, I'll try at another shop tomorrow. Or see if the old Palenicek's has been re-imported — who knows?
Leifs: Edda, Part I (Creation of the World)
If the Saga Symphony is Leif's Alpha where he began, Edda is his Omega -- a distillation of early strengths and discovery/development of more. It is a very complete vision of the world of belief and narrative that lurks in the Old Norse Edda.
Despite how complete it is, there is no Part 2: Leifs didn't live long enough to finish this.
However, it is very complete. Still I dream about what such a Edda Part 2 would be like...
Instead, we're stuck with Leonard, Part VI.
Link One
http://www.mediafire.com/?ngmwbxb34cf
Link Two
http://www.mediafire.com/?gj1wleewwjz
isbum @ parsifal --
When it comes to our adoring each other (truly) --
We share! We share!
di(aphanous --
My first Janacek experience was a reel-to-reel issue of the Sinfonietta with its occasional companion Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis. Abbado conducted.
Since then he's been at the core of my life.
My favorite opera performance was Gianni Rolandi as Sharp-Ears in the Sendak/Corsaro Cunning Little Vixen.
There is a off-the-air video of the Great Performance airing of that around which is remembered -- not fair! not fair! -- for a mess up in the orchestra which led to their having to restart the third act.
Two things are most lasting about the production. (Three if you include the Sendak poster in my bedroom. I do!) One is the subsequent publication of an excellent translation of The Adventures of Vixen Sharp-Ears illustrated with both original Sendak paintings and his set and character design paintings for the NYCO.
The other is that this was the premiere of the brilliant Yveta Synek Graff and Robert T. Jones English translation of the libretto. (They also, I believe, translated Sharp-Ears. Which is Janacek's name for the opera. The Cunning Little Vixen is the work of the well-intended but clumsy Max Brod who got it heard around the world not quite as Janacek intended -- which is just what he did for the work of his other best pal, Kafka. It took decades to clean up after Brod, yes -- but he really loved both men and helped their work make it out of Prague to Germany and beyond.)
I'm going to post Rattle's performance of that translation.
I lived for years of Mackerras who is a personal living treasure for a lot of people.
This time... he gets topped. It also helps just a little that his cast is this great with singing clearly in English -- and that The Forester -- who is all of us after a few decades of what is that thing called -- oh, life -- is Thomas Allen.
di(aphanous, all of that thinking and feeling and recollection is the result of your own eloquence and passion.
This is such an expressive place that expression breeds better expression post after post!
Oh, yeah --
1) In the last words the Forester sings in the original libretto, the text is that this time he will do a better job with the Vixen's daughter "so they won't write about us in all the newspapers" -- as that is where the original stories appeared.
2) In the City Opera version he sings that this time "they won't sing about us in all the opera houses".
3) In the Rattle version he sings this time "people won't want to write an opera about us".
All quotes are approximate.
di(aphonous) --
Have you seen the animated version?
I know the score is cut but what I have seen of it is unusual and beautiful.
Links coming! (Bacon tomorrow!!)
Janacek | The Cunning Little Vixen/The Adventures of Vixen Sharp-Ears
Rattle, BBC | Allen, Watson, Montague, Tear
Link One
http://www.mediafire.com/?wvxm9dtztmj
Link Two
http://www.mediafire.com/?ftxyjvyezyd
NOTE: Disk One has 33 tracks. Disk Two has 14. The files don't label them as Disk 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 so you will have to take five minutes and do that manually -- I apologize.
Cover Art (which really should be called The Stunning Little Vixen):
http://www.theclassicalshop.net/HiResArt/chan%203101.jpg
Cover Art for Sendak edition of the novel:
http://www.stillmanbooks.com/vixen.jpg
YouTube link for an excerpt from the BBC Cunning Little Vixen animation:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yCcGFwN5ECI
Chimez, how much more grateful and obliged can I be to you?
If you were a woman I would kiss you. In a roundabout fashion, please ask your Bella D(.)r(.) friend to kiss her sister. You had me all smiles, and triggered thoughts and emotions while I was still reading your "Oh, yeah" second part.
A friend of Janacek's is a friend of mine; a rather smallish circle, I guess. Haven't met anyone yet with whom I could share my enthusiasm and affection for Janacek (not just the composer but the person too). My almost 30-year old daughter, for whom once I had burned this mp3-disc (and who never purposely listens to classical music), had moved in with her boy friend about six months ago. She phoned me last week to say that she finally had opened a box with books and CDs, wherein also poor Leos had been ostracised. She told me (knowing well the effect that her words and the tone of her voice would have on me) ‘First thing was to transfer into my iPod and listen again to "Sinfonietta" — it's sooo beautiful!’
My love for Janacek took off in earnest about 25 or 30 years ago, when I had also started developing a life-long passion for post-Martha-Graham-dance. I had the privilege to befriend a highly talented choreographer who, at about that time, created two fantastic ballets on Janacek's “Sinfonietta” and “Glagolitic Mass”. [Such luck to be at the right place, and at the right time! Because of that genius of modern dance, and his choice of music, I was also initiated to Ravel's “L'enfant et les sortilèges”, Stravinsky's “Symphony of Psalms”, “Svadebka” and “L'histoire du soldat”. And to Takemitsu, Martinu, Berio, and so on, and so forth.]
Thanks, really, thanks for all the information you've provided about the Little Vixen. You even made me search for the N.Y. Times review of the performance you mentioned.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9906E4D61139F932A25757C0A967948260
___
I have watched on the BBC the Covent Garden's production (all fine but missed some honest warmth, in my opinion), and I remember that I had attempted to record the animated version (yes, I've seen it twice). Cannot recall if I eventually succeeded in it... My first and only DVD-recorder had been repaired "thrice" when still within its warranty period. When it died, I had no heart to pay for uncertain repairs, or buy a new one.
___
It's superfluous to say that I wasn't a bit surprised to find you, sitting so comfortably, among the new companions of Musical lovers... Oh, and I entirely agree with your views, regarding the mis-appreciation of Previn. It all started with the high-brow idiots, who give a bad name to Classical Music lovers.
___
Of course I thank you for Rattle's version of the Little Vixen. Do not worry about the tracks being thrown all together. You have done it twice before, and I got crazy trying to understand and sort them out... but all in a very good mood (like arranging properly the children's toys at the end of a birthday party, ha-ha)! I now create a separate directory each time, before extracting.
I'm not a "believer", Chimez, but God bless you!
PS - I'll try to give you something back, tomorrow. I guarantee you won't have it. Big mouth me, will get slapped.
di(aphanous,
Not feeling so sunny today (despite two unprecedented biz emails) -- I need to tell you how I appreciate you, the quality of your understanding and the passion for Janacek which held keys for locks you never knew you had.
I am the same way about him.
Janacek's life is equal to his works -- and his Indian Summer passion for Kamila which created so much of the original Prague Spring is told and retold in the DNA of each of his late, great operas.
I guess it helped that my musical DNA began with Mussorgsky in the lead... and I love Janacek more and better than any other artist.
Do you know Serebrier's recordings?
I have come to love them in the last few years (and not just because it's the nearest we've got to Stoki playing LJ -- Serebrier has been quite the big boy who absorbed Stoki's light but never got lost in his shadow).
You want? You got!
There is also a new Broucek out on DG... live recording... most interested to hear it as the Keilberth (hooray for him in general) just doesn't really get it despite the joy of Wunderlich. (It's a little too broad and a lot too Brod.)
By the way... as I was reading (most emotionally) all you wrote I returned to what you wrote about your daughter...
And I turned to the couch to see mine (age 20) making a dual drawing of Sharp-Ears -- one an adaptation of our dog Muzzy -- the other one of Rinat Shaham as her. (Rini's our friend and just as we pushed her to Eschenbach to do Das Lied von Der Erde... we are coaxing her to go falcon and sing Sharp-Ears.)
Chimez, how nice cross paths again...
I'll read you after posting this.
__
Any positive/negative comments (by any downloader) on the following will be much appreciated. Not a "review", please, just one or two lines. I am extremely curious as to how Mikhael will fare. Thanks.
• Mikhael - Euphonic Impovisations _x2
Judging from the silly covers (I spare you, so I did not include them) and the section "New Age / Meditation" or something like it, where I found these two treasures, I wouldn't have expected anything worth 90 seconds of my attention! It was only after reading the liner notes[¹] that I decided to buy one of them. That same evening I played the whole disc three or four times. Early next morning I went and purchased the second disc.
[¹] Quoting a few excerpts:
“The art of improvisation is an art form that is largely overlooked in the world of classical music today. For most composers however, including Beethoven and Franck, it was an inseparable element of the creative process of a written composition.
“Chopin composed by seeking, with his hands on the piano, what his touch suggested to the elevated sensibility of colours and emotions [...]
“Contemporary accounts tell us of Liszt's electrifying improvisations. It is difficult today to imagine what it would be like, to listen to the immediacy of inspiration of Bach or Bruckner at the organ [...]
“The breath of the wind, the waves of fields of wheat, the diaphanous light released from the piano – in all its dynamic range and nuances – are enclosed in titles which have been assigned afterwards. This is done not for the sake of creating images or depicting programmes, but to stimulate with a poetic seed the penetration into the essence of sound, which is – solely because it is euphonic – the bearer of joy, tranquillity, and happiness.”
That certain 'Mikhael' of both covers, hasn't got a family name — poor guy!
Having played these discs innumerable times in the course of the last 15 years, and if I were to accept his Christian name as ‘true’, I'd say the pianist could be Mikhail Pletnev (or someone of his calibre). Or... I may be fooled by my subjectivity.
Therefore if you don't want to take any "large risks" of perhaps not liking it (unknown artist, unheard-of "improvisations" in classical music), you may download one and any of these four individually split parts.
· Mikhael - “The Blue Flame” - Tracks 01 - 03
http://rapidshare.com/files/102468248/Mikhael.a1.rar
· Mikhael - “The Blue Flame” - Tracks 04 - 06
http://rapidshare.com/files/102460309/Mikhael.a2.rar
· Mikhael - “Rays of Harmony” - Tracks 01 & 02
http://rapidshare.com/files/102483941/Mikhael.b1.rar
· Mikhael - “Rays of Harmony” - Tracks 03 & 04
http://rapidshare.com/files/102479989/Mikhael.b2.rar
"Rays..." cover and track list:
http://www.answers.com/topic/rays-of-harmony-classical-album?cat=entertainment
Both covers, wrongly spelled name (Mikheal):
http://music.msn.com/artist/?artist=16266330
di(aphanous --
What a mystery you've posted.
I will download all of the files and retreat for a few days as this clearly isn't anything to which anyone should react but respond... slowly and fully.
While I compose myself (which I need to do as my brains files are in the mess same as the ones I upload)for these improvisations...
Would you care for the 2 disc Serebrier Janacek set?
@ Chimez,
Those Mikhael discs may only speak of me, and have no other value. I beg of you to just sample-listen first. I mean it when I say that I don't want to disappoint anyone.
---
Some more of Dmitri's Hams will follow - even if you have them :-)
---
Yes, please, for the Serebrier-Janacek. Do not tempt me...
___
@ Parzival - I haven't forgotten YOU. Soon I'll make a "bridge" (?!?)
@chimesatmidnight
@di(aphanous
I feel as if I have stumbled into some kind of musical Algonquin roundtable, reading your dialogue.
Perhaps I should be a waiter and bring refreshments to keep the conversation as lubricated and as lucid as it has been so far.
If only I could contribute! But I am totally out of my depth, a 69-year-old neophyte, absorbing awesome words that translate into even more awesome music.
Thank you both for your erudition and elucidation. I shall continue to hover here in the background and enjoy the bounty.
This time I think I got the files organized by disc...
Serebrier Conducts Janacek
Sinfonietta, Lachian Dances, Taras Bulba, Opera Prolouges and Suites (Vixen, Makropulos)
Disc 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?tzjm2yddsd4
Disc 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?clx4rj1je1y
ruggo,
Pull up a chair. Your ears are always open and your thoughts are specifically cherished here and probably anywhere.
Is being cherished enough of a welcome?
Maybe not on, say, eHarmony --
But it certainly is here.
As for my words, I just fight neurotoxicity and my dog's editing.
@ Ruggo,
You em·bar·rass me. You do!
• SHOSTAKOVICH (staged)- Hamlet (1932&1954) + King Lear (1941)
· Hamlet, Op.32 (1932 Production - complete incidental music)
· Hamlet (1954 Production - incidental music)
· King Lear, Op.58a (1951 Production - complete incidental music)
Louise Winter, mezzo-soprano;
David Wilson-Johnson, baritone;
City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra,
conducted by Mark Elder. Rec. 1994
http://rapidshare.com/files/102574183/DS_Ham_KL.1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/102564777/DS_Ham_KL.2.rar
[30 + 2 + 12 tracks @ 320 kb/s, 3% Recovery record]
Happy listening!
___
An apology: I'm aware that this, as well as what I plan to follow it with, require and deserve to be accompanied by their respective liner notes. These will come, only at a later date.
LOVE THE NEW ENTRANCE TO THE NEWLY RESTORED Franklynot Downtown area!!! :)) What a great job, great art work, thanks to those for their visually stimulating efforts. :-]
Fame and greatness are usually things that come to people after many years especially to those in the world of acting...
Yet Kenneth Branagh had exploded to the scene with this one, at a relatively young age.
HENRY, V. When I saw the film, I remember being very impressed, but the music was so remarkable (I felt this way as I was watching the film for the first time), I remeber humming it the entire time driving home.
I still feel the same about the score, today. I know full well that this an area of classical beauties, but since I feel that this score is a true classic, I wanted to share it here, also.
HENRY, V.
By Patrick Doyle (1989). @320kbps (Cover+tracksINCL.)...
I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do everytime I listen.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A38I079W
Enjoy...
riddim,
Now let us guess just how many OTHER films have used Doyle's Henry V themes in THEIR trailers?
I'll start with a very general... dozens!
• Olga Borodina - Bolero, A Spanish Songbook
http://rapidshare.com/files/102601311/OLG.BOR_Bol.1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/102609965/OLG.BOR_Bol.2.rar
· Dmitri Shostakovich: “Spanish Songs”, Op. 100
· Mikhail Glinka: Two Songs
· Aleksandr Dargomyzhsky: Three Songs
· Anton Rubinstein: “Pandero”
· Manuel de Falla: “7 Canciones populares españolas”
· Mark Minkov: “Landscape”
· Maurice Ravel: Chanson espagnole”
· Enrique Granados: “La Maja dolorosa”
Olga Borodina, mezzo-soprano;
Semyon Skigin, piano | (1995)
@Chimez
:)) I couldn't agree with you more. Another one used in the same fashion by many others is Rand Edelman's "Dragonheart"..
You're all right...to a degree.
But nothing is overused more than O Fortuna! from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.
ruggo,
You're right.
Suppose we should feel relieved that Bumblebee and Chicken of the Sea have passed on that as the stuff of jingles...
I am glad that isbum did not specify.
We have a Hall for "Classical Music", thus... not exclusively for the "Western" type of it (I think)!
Today I sneak in, presenting another world of improvised music-making. Indian Classical Music.
To me this ‘Pandit’ is one of my favourite musicians ever, either in the Western or the Eastern hemisphere.
• Hariprasad Chaurasia: All Time Favourites
· 01. Raag Madhmad Sarang (30 mns)
___ Alaap & Gat in Roopak Taal ___
· 02. Raag Miyan ki Malhar (30 mns)
___ Alaap & Gat in Teen Taal ___
· 03_ Rachna Pahadi (9 mns)
_ Alight composision in Keharva Taal _
http://rapidshare.com/files/102767364/Hari.Prasad.ATF1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/102757306/Hari.Prasad.ATF2.rar
- Hariprasad Chaurasia[*], bansuri
+ Sabir Khan, tabla
[*] aka "Chourasia"; a name that I kept in the Artist tag, only because it so figures on the disc — but mostly (and I am used to it) it is spelled with an "a" & a "u", CHAURASIA.
di(aphanous said...
I am glad that isbum did not specify.
We have a Hall for "Classical Music", thus... not exclusively for the "Western" type of it (I think)!
isbum replies...
But my dear friend, this is master Chimezatmidnight's hall.
For that reason alone,
I have no say at all. :)
isbum and di(aphanous --
I'm feeling lousy -- my immune system no longer cares to work and prefers to watch Lifetime movies --
But tomorrow for lunch I'm havin' Indian.
@ chimezatmidnight - Sorry to hear that.
You're Hall is turning a page today.
Hope you feel "newer" tomorrow. :)
Post a Comment