Welcome everyone to Quinlan's Jazz Speakeasy! For nearly a year now, Quinlan has been one of Franklynot's most dedicated and devoted friends. Over this time he has also nurtured my love for jazz in it's many different forms. In short, it's been a pleasure sharing music with him and receiving music from him. This is for you Quinlan, and all the jazz lovers here at Franklynot.
I turn this over to you my good friend. Let's enjoy some great jazz together!
Foreword First of all, let me express my deepest gratitude to our host Isbum, who's generously allowing us to have a personal space in his blog. Isbum, my dear friend, you are a gentleman, that goes without saying but that goes even better in saying so. Thank you sir! This shop is dedicated mainly to Jazz music. All kinds of Jazz with a certain emphasis on its traditional aspects, but also its ramifications towards Latin jazz, pop-rock jazz and so on. You may see that the field is wide and has remote limits. Requests will be most welcome and contributions as well. If you like the place, feel free to post whatever you think can fit in it. Please, note that the posts made by yours truly will always come from my personal collection of LPs and CDs with rips @ 320 kbps after restoration if necessary and complete high-resolution artwork when available. It may happen that an album posted here under my signature can be found already posted in another blog. Nevertheless my posts will always be from original rips and uploads and there will never be links "borrowed" from somewhere else. One exception to this rule: if I cannot fulfill a request from my personal record collection, but can do it from some stuff previously downloaded from other blogs, it will be duly mentioned and the original uploader credited with his name if available or anonymously if not.
And now, ladies and gentlemen, let's make way for the music! For my first post here, I'd like to offer an album, which has been and still is an essential contribution to my dedication to jazz music. During the fifties, in my teenage years, the new vinyl records were coming out and we had just enough pocket money to buy 45 rpms, singles or EPs. It was more difficult to buy LPs because of their higher cost. A cousin of mine, a bit older than I was, was working for a record company and was entitled to have free records. It happened that for some reason, she obtained two records in duplicate each. So she gave me the two spare ones and that's how I had my first LPs. You can imagine how happy I was… These two records were the first two volumes of outstanding series of jam sessions that the great trumpeter Buck Clayton recorded between 1953 and 1956 for Columbia under the direction of producers George Avakian and John Hammond. They were taking advantage of the dimension of the newly introduced 12' LPs and were often recording one (or maximum two) track(s) on each side. So tracks could have a running time up to 20 minutes sometimes. The principle was to call about a dozen guys who often were discovering who they were the day of the recording; have a rough arrangement for the ensemble, let Buck name the players for their solo turn and a jam session resulted. When I first listened to volume 1 which I am offering here, I was so fascinated that I think I listened to it 15 times straight off and realized that Jazz was my music. I will not comment any more on Buck Clayton who was one of the many great swingmen produced by the Middle West and particularly, as far as jazz is concerned, Kansas City. He played with the Count Basie's Band between 1936 and 1943 and you will recognize most of the players in these jam sessions as being part of the Count's orchestra at one time or another. You understood that these recordings are very dear to me. I think it's really what jazz is all about. (Organized) improvisation, first class performers and above all…swing. You know, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got it. For me, the musicians here are playing better than well. They're playing right!!! Just have a look at the rhythm section of that volume 1, with Freddie Green on guitar, Walter Page on bass and the great Jo Jones on drums. It says it all. Volume 1 I am presenting here has two long tracks, "The Huckle-Buck" and "Robbin's Nest" and was, by the way, the result of the second session recorded on December 16, 1953. The first session had been taped two days earlier and is the subject of part of volume 2 which I will have the pleasure to present soon here along with the rest of the other sessions (6 in total). The cover art included is a lousy one (the design, not the Jpeg). It's coming from a reissue made by Columbia in the 70s. I'm sorry I lost the original one. Here it is for your (I hope) enjoyment.
My favorite record so far from the Time Records series. Hugo takes some old standards and really set's them on fire! Terrific big band sound with a kick of bongo fever!
"Montenegro & Mayhem" 196-? Lp @320 by Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra
@ isbum Thank you for your essential contributions.
@ mel Thank you for your encouragement words. You know that you're more than welcome here. Speaking of Jazz, you're a master!
Here is my second post still dedicated to Buck Clayton's Jam Sessions recorded in the 50s for CBS. As I mentioned earlier there were 6 recording sessions. The first one took place on December 14, 1953 where 2 tracks were recorded: "Moten Swing" & "Sentimental Journey". They are part of Volume 2 which is the subject of my today post along with 2 other tracks recorded during the third session on March 31, 1954, "How Hi The Fi" & "Blue Moon" featuring Woody Herman on clarinet as a special guest. The front cover is the original one (the record was edited by Philips in Europe). It was in a terrible state and I hardly managed to somehow refurbish it . As for volume 1, there is no back cover because there was nothing of interest on them (just presentation of other records from the editing company). Here is Buck Clayton's Jam Session - Volume 2 (2 parts in 1 folder):
A request: Do you (or does anyone else) have the Capitol recording of The Benny Goodman Story (not the soundtrack but studio recordings released to compete with other versions). I have the LP but it's worn out.
@ mel Sorry pal, I'm afraid I don't quite have what you're requesting. However the only Benny Goodman Capitol recording I do have is a record he made towards the end of 1954 (the film was released in 1955). It is "B.G. in Hi-Fi" comprising several songs which were also in the movie. I remember this record from the little Capitol magazine I was receiving regularly but couldn't afford to buy it at the time it was released. Years later Capitol reissued this record (in 1989) on CD with 20 tracks (some of them being previously unissued). I have this CD and uploaded it for you in case you don't have it. It's excellent and here it is with the complete artwork including the credits (2 parts in one folder):
http://rapidshare.com/users/DUAMLG
I would like also to remind you that sometimes ago, I posted at franklynot on Sallie's request two LPs released by Coral and entitled "The Benny Goodman Story - Volumes I & II". I can't say that it was the original soundtrack, maybe... Volume I says on its front cover "Music From the Original Soundtrack" where Volume II says "Music Recorded For The Soundtrack Of The Universal-International Film". The links are still valid so just in case, here they are:
For you information, I also have the complete Benny Goodman edited by Bluebird in eight volumes , each volume being a 2 record set (LPs). If you would like to have them, say the word. Enjoy All the Best
As indicated in my earlier posts related to Buck Clayton's Jam Sessions for Columbia between 1953 & 1956, there were 6 sessions which took place at the following dates: December 14, 1953 / December 16, 1953 / March 31, 1954 / August 13, 1954 / March 15, 1955 & March 5, 1956. Volumes 1 & 2 already posted were from material recorded during the first three sessions. There were then a couple of albums made from the sessions of December 16, 1953, August 13, 1954 and March 15, 1955. These records were reissued by Columbia in 1974 on a 2 record set called "Swingin' Buck Clayton Jams Count Basie & Benny Goodman" which I am now presenting here in a 2 part folder with complete artwork.
Yes, I remember you posting the two Coral LPs requested by Sallie and they are indeed the soundtrack recordings. At the time of the release of the movie all the record companies that had recorded Goodman in past years hopped on the bandwagon and issued LPs with the numbers used in the movie from their vaults. The Capitol issue was a new recording by Goodman and in my opinion was the best of the lot, even better than the recordings for the soundtrack. And the playing time was just short of an hour - very good value for those days. So I hope one day to get a good copy of it again.
Thanks also for the Claytons - great stuff.
I take it that the Bluebirds were all the Goodman recordings for RCA Victor and I may call on you to post them at a later stage, but i think both of us have enough on our plates right now.
Variou Artists - Jazz on a Summer's Day (1959) http://rapidshare.com/files/102911178/VA-JOASD.part1.rar http://rapidshare.com/files/102912921/VA-JOASD.part2.rar
@ h2o and isbum Thanks both of you for your contributions. H2o, you don't need that to have a lunch on me. Consider that you have a rain check.It would be my pleasure. But isbum, what would happen if by chance I drop by h2o very fine shop?
This post will complete the Buck Clayton's Jam Sessions recorded by this very fine trumpeter between 1953 and 1956. After the albums posted earlier here, there was one more record released under the title "All The Cats Join In" comprising 5 tracks. One of them, "Lean Baby" had been recorded during the December 16, 1953 session and had not been released yet. 2 other tracks, "Out Of Nowhere" and "Blue Lou" were from the March 15, 1955 session and the remaining two, "All The Cats Join In" and "Don't You Miss Your Baby" were taped on March 5, 1956 which was the last session. Here is this album unfortunately with no artwork:
Years later, in 1989, CBS released a CD entitled "Jam Sessions From The Vault" with these five tracks again, but from alternate takes plus an additional one "After Hours" (March 5, 1956) previously unreleased. This is a self explanatory excerpt from the liner notes which are entirely reproduced in the attached artwork: "The proof of the remarkable improvisational qualities of a Buck Clayton jam session is made abundantly clear in this collection, which contains solos that are very different from those on the original "All The Cats Join In" release." Here is this album which is putting an end to these legendary sessions (2 files in 1 folder:
G'day jazzers. Just sticking my head in the door to drop you guys a link posted in Rocket's shop. A twofer CD reissue, the first has Jack Webb's deadpan vocals, the second is light jazz instrumentals done by the same session players who did Pete Kelly's Blues...
@ quinlan - I am not a serious jazz afficionado, but your passion shows through. You've got me seriously tempted to taste those jam sessions you have generously shared.
@ filmpac Thank you buddy for that excellent contribution which goes straight to my heart. Yo know, a while ago, when I was a recent visitor and contributor as well at YDHTVTB (hello Nomwl1!, you're not forgotten), I raised a request for the instrumental soundtrack of "Pete Kelly's Blues" (I had the vocal numbers by Peggy Lee and Ella Fitzgerald) and got right away two answers to my request which made me overwhelmed. Unless I'm wrong you were one of them. I really loved (and still do) this movie and its music which certainly contributed to a great extent to my "aficion" for jazz. By the way, I'm guilty not to remember the name of the other friend who also fulfilled my request. If you read these lines you certainly know who you are, so please forgive me. Your answer was equally very much appreciated. And so is this Jack Webb's post which I all the more welcome because I did not know it. There will be soon some more smooth and light jazz posts here which I hope will strengthen your taste for this music. At the moment I'm busy to complete the March link list. That's why I did not post recently. Thank you for your generosity. All the Best
@ quinlan - It's a slow start here, what with so many jazz sites all over the place. We need to curry favor with folks who like to chat as well as share. Those kind of people are out there, and like you, they would enjoy sharing the history of their favorite jazz players with others.
Don't become discouraged my friend. Like the other "shops", people will eventually arrive who have stories to tell along with music they wish to share.
Just want to tip you guys to "Pulp Fusion", a great set of '70s US Funk/Jazz, at the Let's Go Get It! blog (@192). Herbie Hancock, Blackbyrds, Kool and the Gang, Mandrill, etc. An instant jukebox of the genre.
At last, some novelties... Well, in terms of post because what I am presenting today dates back to the fifties. At that time Ray Anthony was leading a very popular dance band rather commercially oriented. Nonetheless if you listen to what he was doing you'll remark that jazz was never far from the music he was recording by his own style, derived from Harry James' style (he had played for Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey before having his own band), the choice of the songs and of the members of his orchestra counting among the best jazz players such as Conrad Gozzo, the Candoli brothers, Skeet Herfurt, Plas Johnson, Med Flory, Georgie Auld, Dick Nash or Alvin Stoller among others. There was always a swinging side in his performances... Here are 7 LPs recorded during the 50s, all of them ripped @ 320 with complete artwork:
"Ray Anthony Plays For Dream Dancing" http://rapidshare.com/files/106184606/RayAnthonyPlaysForDreamDancing_mp3.rar
Thanks to you and Mel, quinlan, I have taken interest in collecting recordings by Andre Previn. Here are 10 Lp's that cover his career from the beginning to the present.
Because I could not find a proper discography these are in a random order.
The Andre Previn Collected Works
"Andre Previn & J.J. Johnson Play Kurt Weill" 1961 http://rapidshare.com/files/107348356/APandJJ_PlayKurtWeill.zip
I find it rather difficult to come up with something to share here, but I'm gonna have a go with this. Hopefully, you all don't already have it. This predates the animated movie of the late 1970s, and the newer Peter Jackson films. Not a soundtrack, but an ambitious project for its time, by Australia's very own...
Hi guys – remember all those fabulous Peter Nero LPs I shared with you some time ago? Well, here’s one that I didn’t have – New Piano In Town. You can download it from this great blog: http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/
@ filmpac Please feel home here! It's whenever you want, Sir. It will always be a pleasure and an honor to have your visits and contributions.
@ mel Thank you for the tip concerning Peter Nero. You can imagine that I already downloaded it. It was part of my three daily downloads two days ago at this fantastic blog. And thank you again for all the Peter Neros you previously shared. They were more than welcome.
A couple of other Ray Anthonys. Ray Anthony is jamming and swinging in "Jam Session At The Tower". This was recorded in 1956 at the Capitol Tower with great musicians such as saxophonists Med Flory, Georgie Auld and Ray's own brother Leo Anthony who can be heard on baritone sax in "Night Train"; trumpetists Ray Anthony himself and Conrad Gozzo; trombonists Dick Nash and Ray Sims; pianist Paul Smith and drummer Alvin Stoller plus a lot of others.
Listen to standards like "Flyin' Home", "Night Train", "How High The Moon", "Perdido" & "One O'Clock Jump" and Ray's original composition "Swingin' At The Tower" in a jam session way here:
The following one was recorded in 1953 and released on an 8 track 10' LP called "The Young Man With The Horn. Excellent lounge jazz with standards like "Tenderly", "Stardust" and a somptuous interpretation of "Harlem Nocturne". Here it is:
@ reza It's both an honor and a pleasure to see you here. Thanks to you the shop is better stocked and it will allow more visitors to come and find what they wish. Thank you very much for your contribution.
A while back now, I asked if anyone had a longer version of the theme from the TV show "Two And A Half Men", starring Charlie Sheen. Well, it turns out the theme music was written by a feller called Grant Geissman, and the full version exists on his album Say That.
An online friend kindly found it and shared it with me via Megaupload. His link is still active, so I thought I'd share it with you cats too, this album is a fine slice of instrumental jazz...
Hi there - I don't know if there is any interest in this speakeasy for some rough and ready Chicago style jazz, but if so I've posted some sides that Art Hodes and companions made for Blue Note in the 40s. It's available for any traditionalists in the audience over at:
Seems to be great stuff here, although I am at a loss to figure out what kind of styles these scores represent. Would you be so kind and give a few remarks about the type of music that you post here?
@mr.t Back in June 2007 you posted Lone Wolf and Cub TV Series Score by Takashi Watanabe. I would love to have the information necessary to tag the tracks in English. Can you help?
Perhaps you should think about opening a new shop which would specialize in light orchestral and instrumental stuff such as the Charles Magnante, Percy Faith, Carmen Cavallaro etc. But if you eventually do, please don't call it "lounge" - I hate that term and I consider it an insult to the music.
@ Mel - I need to address your question regarding a shop for, shall we agree upon easy listening?
Like Jazz, we find ourselves in serious competition with so many other fine and fantastic blogs that I feel we'll go virtually unnoticed.
I will share what records I feel have a cross-over appeal to fans of jazz or soundtrack connections here and at several outside blogs run by friends of ours.
For the moment, I haven't shared much outside here with the exception of
http://loungelegends.blogspot.com/
I am happy to see these records find an audience anywhere, but have taken a "shine" to this fellows style and blog content.
I hope in time, the circle of sharing will grow to be of benefit to all of us here as well as the fans of other sites.
@ quinlan, scoredaddy and all other Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond fans
A Brubeck holy grail has at last been found. Jazz Goes To Junior College (1957), one of the best Brubeck/Desmond LPs, has inexplicably never been reissued on CD.
You can get it here, in flac format: http://thejazzman4133.blogspot.com/
1. Maulana 2. Baraka/Kamli 3. Kawanda 4. Dunia 5. Not Listed
Disc 2:
1. Witch Fire 2. Jammin' With Herbie 3. Herbie's Blues 4. Rock Your Soul 5. Hot Piano 6. Smoochie 7. Live And Awake 8. Night Walker 9. Afro Boogie 10. Far Out 11. Hot And Heavy
"Jazz to Funk" 2006 Cd @320 by Herbie Hancock
In 3 Parts http://rapidshare.com/files/121284278/HH_JazzToFunk_Cd1.zip
For another chance, a bunch of previously posted links:
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers featuring Barney Wilen Les Liaisons Dangereuses OST http://rapidshare.com/users/DTL9I7
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/68420129/Jazz_In_Paris_Jazz___Cinema_vol._1_mp3.rar
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 2 http://rapidshare.com/users/YL8EUL
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 3 http://rapidshare.com/files/67195997/Jazz_In_Paris_Jazz___Cinema_Vol_3_mp3.rar
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 4 http://rapidshare.com/users/HE02VU
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 5 http://rapidshare.com/users/HN4PCO
Legrand Jazz Michel Legrand http://rapidshare.com/users/L01LH1
Pete Rugolo Behind Brigitte Bardot http://rapidshare.com/files/72093116/Pete_Rugolo_Behind_Brigitte_Bardot_mp3.rar
Maynard Ferguson New Vintage http://rapidshare.com/files/61404278/MaynardFerguson_NewVintage_mp3.rar
Jackie Gleason Riff Jazz http://rapidshare.com/files/55395685/Jackie_Gleason_Riff_Jazz.rar
Frankie Laine & Buck Clayton Jazz Spectacular http://rapidshare.com/users/9PJDON
Jimmy Smith The Big Brawl http://rapidshare.com/users/QVQ34C
Ella Fitzgerald & Count Basie Ella & Basie_Part 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/44980082/Ella___Basie_Part_1.rar Ella & Basie_Part 2 http://rapidshare.com/files/44982770/Ella___Basie_Part_2.rar
Count Basie & Tony Bennett Count Basie Featuring Tony Bennett_Part 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/44957857/Count_Basie_Featuring_Tony_Bennett_Part_1.rar Count Basie Featuring Tony Bennett_Part 2 http://rapidshare.com/files/44960442/Count_Basie_Featuring_Tony_Bennett_Part_2.rar
Glenn Miller Glenn Miller Story http://rapidshare.com/users/IFR9R
Chuck Mangione Land Of Make Believe http://rapidshare.com/files/37613820/Chuck_Mangione_Land_Of_Make_Believe_mp3.rar
Buddy Rich Time Being http://rapidshare.com/users/272DE2
Red Nichols & Danny Kaye The Five Pennies http://rapidshare.com/files/31723557/The_Five_Pennies_mp3.rar
Andre Previn The Subterraneans http://rapidshare.com/files/31508587/Andre_Previn_The_Subterraneans_mp3.rar
Oscar Peterson Jazz Spectrum_Volume III http://rapidshare.com/files/31339686/Oscar_Peterson_Jazz_Spectrum_Vol_III_mp3.rar
Oscar Peterson Motions & Emotions http://rapidshare.com/files/31317292/Oscar_Peterson_Motions___Emotions_mp3.rar
Oscar Peterson Jousts-Oscar Peterson & The Trumpet Kings_Part 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/31320292/Jousts_Oscar_Peterson_And_The_Trumpet_Kings_Part_1.rar Jousts-Oscar Peterson & The Trumpet Kings_Part 2 http://rapidshare.com/files/31325792/Jousts_Oscar_Peterson_And_The_Trumpet_Kings_Part_2.rar
Quincy Jones Soul Flower http://rapidshare.com/users/65ENK0
Phil Woods & Michel Legrand Images http://rapidshare.com/users/5R9RII
Count Basie Basie's Beatle Bag http://rapidshare.com/files/27919558/Basie_s_Beatle_Bag_mp3.rar
Count Basie Basie Meets Bond http://rapidshare.com/files/27911103/Basie_Meets_Bond_mp3.rar
Lalo Schifrin Tin Tin Deo_Part 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/26829511/Lalo_Schifrin_Tin_Tin_Deo_Part_1.rar Tin Tin Deo_Part 2 http://rapidshare.com/files/26831626/Lalo_Schifrin_Tin_Tin_Deo_Part_2.rar
Woh!!!! Impressive! BTW,you should call this "The Cool Jazz Speakeasy Room" lol! Anyway,my contribution to your great efforts;something that fans of cool jazz would enjoy to my opinion; here we go: "HERB ELLIS MEETS JIMMY GIUFFRE" Verve Elite Edition cd,long oop, my cd rip @320kbps..Great record,Enjoy!!! Here's the link : http://rapidshare.com/files/121661116/Hellis.rar Oh, and while we're talking about jazz and soundtracks, anyone has "The Liquidator" score by Schifrin or Ed Thigpen's "Out Of The Storm" (Verve elite edition) cds? Thanks very much in advance..Last but not least, do you people dig Johnny Smith? I could upload a couple of records if someone wants!
@ ghostrider Thank you for the Herb Ellis/Jimmy Giuffre very much appreciated. By all means, if you're willing to share Johnny Smith's albums, please do so. You don't need to ask. And this is valid for any other jazz album. Here is a link to Lalo Schifrin's "The Liquidator" @ 320. Not my rip so thanks to the original uploader whoever he may be.
@ ghostrider One little thing I forgot to ask in my previous comment. If you have a scanner, I would very much appreciate to have a scan of the complete Herb Ellis/Jimmy Giuffre artwork (front, inside, back, tray) if it's not too much to ask. Thanks a lot for your co-operation. Cheers
A shop link list is now available in the space where the usual Original Incredible Filmscorium monthly list is hosted. The new list is up to date as of June 11, 2008 approximately middle of the day, depending where you're residing. As you will see each shop has its own sheet build up the same way as the monthly list. For some shops, such as "Golden Age Of Hollywood" or "Classical Music Hall", instead of one column for the artist, I have included one column for the composer(s) and another one for the performer(s) when one or the other information was available. This is increasing the research possibilities. Otherwise, please refer to the main sheet explanation; it works the same way. From now on the shop link list will be regularly updated and published on a monthly basis at the same time as the usual Filmscorium list. So you will be able to download both lists from the same space (click on "Quinlan's Monthly Excel Archive Spreadsheet". If you discover an error or something wrong in the new list, please don't hesitate to comment. All suggestions are welcome. Thank you very much for your attention.
Ace 7 is a unit group by Japanese skillful players. Leader Hachidai Nakamura has also known as composer of "Sukiyaki Song". Here is their best compilation that is mixture of standards, Nakamura's originals and French cinema.
Ace 7 - Must Collection (1969-1970) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GN2XQATA
Thanks for your kind comments over at my place and the link to your place. I grabbed Vol. 2 & 3 of Buck Clayton and I thank you. I had the others. Best of luck.
@Quinlan: Sorry I Took sooooooo long to reply, but i've been quite busy;Of course i can scan the covers, but it will take some time since my scanner has been sent for repair;when i'll get it back,i'll do full scans of the Herb Ellis.. I'll also upload the johnny Smith this week..without covers i'm afraid,until my scanner is fixed.. Oh!!!!!!!!! Not To Forget!!!!!!!! Thanks for the Liquidator!!!I'll try and buy the cd if i locate it somewhere! Awesome music! Lalo never fails to impress me!
I frequently endeavor to explore film composer's other works, outside of the constraints of the picture's plotting. Recently stumbled over this, and decided it fits the smokey atmosphere of the Speakeasy...
This CD reissue features tenor saxophonist Teo Macero (who would later become much better known as a record producer) in as straight-ahead a setting as he ever appeared. With stimulating support from pianist Mal Waldron, vibraphonist Teddy Charles, bassist Addison Farmer, and drummer Jerry Segal, Macero performs a variety of then-recent ballads, of which only "Star Eyes" (arranged by Hall Overton) did not come from Teo or his associates. The music is advanced but from the jazz tradition, and overall this set is more noteworthy for Macero's interesting playing than for the tunes themselves. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide
Here is an album which could also be posted in "Filmscorium" since it's an original motion picture soundtrack. I'm speaking of Clint Eastwood's "Bird", the Charlie Parker dark and moving biographical picture. As usual for this kind of film, the CD comprises only the musical numbers not the underscore written here by Lennie Niehaus. What has to be noted is the magnificent work accomplished by both the technicians and the musicians. Genuine Charlie Parker's solos were isolated from their original recordings, cleaned up and then matched with accompaniment by contemporary musicians such as pianists Monty Alexander, Barry Harris and Walter Davis Jr., bassists Ray Brown and Ron Carter, drummer John Guerin and trumpetist Jon Faddis. This won the film the Best Sound Academy Award. It's higly recommendable to read the liner notes written by the famous jazz critic Leonard Feather who incidently was also a fine pianist and composer. The rip from CD is @ 320 and includes the complete artwork:
Quite a few people visiting regularly this blog have already shown their interest for Quincy Jones who wrote successful movie scores. Quincy is also a fine jazzmen (he used to play trumpet) and he got fame with his tremendous ability to gather first class musicians and make arrangements where the artists could express the best of themselves. Here is an early 9 tracks album recorded in 1957 where 3 tracks were dedicated to alto sax players (Benny Carter, Art Pepper, Herb Geller & Charlie Mariano), 3 other tracks were for tenor saxophonists (Buddy Collete, Bill Perkins & Walter Benton plus Pepper Adams on baritone sax) and the 3 remaining tracks were devoted to trumpeters (Harry Edison, Conte & Pete Candoli and Jack Sheldon). Each time with a rhythm section including Carl Perkins or Lou Levy on piano, Red Mitchell or Leroy Vinnegar on bass and Shelly Manne or Mel Lewis on drums! Didn't I speak of first class musicians? All or most of them were coming from the West Coast hence the title of the album: "Go West, Man" Here it is ripped from CD @ 320 with complete artwork for your listening pleasure:
I got pretty excited when Ghostrider offered some Johnny Smith albums. I'm hoping he or maybe someone else has the 1967 Verve album 8692 called simply Johnny Smith. The CD was reissued for a short time as Verve 314 537 752-2 . It is almost impossible to find and prohibitively expensive if you do. I'd sure be obliged to anyone who could point me in the right direction as this recording is one of my all time favorites. Thanks for a super nice place to visit.
@ filmpac If I badly failed to thank you for the Teo Macero, I didn't fail to download it and appreciate it. Again forgive me for being so impolite. You know that every thing you post catch my attention. Belated and hearty thanks for your permanent support.
Steve Allen was a multi talented gentleman who got fame as a television showman, an author, a composer, a lyricist, a comedian and although it's reported that he just took three years of piano lessons at the age of 7, he was also a pianist playing better than reasonably well, with an inborn sense of swing. He recorded a number of albums and here is one of the latest taped in 1993 with a very fine combo. I advise you to listen to it, you won't be disappointed. "Steve Allen Plays Jazz Tonight" @ 320 from CD in 2 parts with complete HR artwork:
I think I remember the name Johnny Smith being raised in these parts a while back. Some of you may be interested to know that the Big 10-Inch Record has that guitarist's first LP and five-eighths of his second (long story) on display. Stan Getz is the tenor on most of the cuts. Great covers, too, by Burt Goldblatt.
We also have an LP by one-time Duke Ellington vocalist Herb Jeffries. This one is rare, I think.
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had the 4-CD box set of Cleo Laine & John Dankworth, I HEAR MUSIC. Also looking for the 2-CD of Cleo's greatest hits. Many thanks, Jim
@ buster Thank you for letting us know the new posts on your very fine and appreciated blog. Your tips here and in the other shops as well will always be most welcome.
Here is a link to a Duke Ellington album recorded in 1951/52 "Ellington Uptown". It contains some Ellington's standards such as "The Mooche", "Perdido" and an interesting version of "Take The A Train" with vocals by Betty Roche. There are also two "Suites" - this is an exercise he was very fond of - composed by Duke himself, "A Tone Parallel To Harlem (The Harlem Suite)" and "The Controversial Suite". Above all I wanted to present this album for the last track "Skin Deep", giving drummer Louis Bellson the opportunity to demonstrate his extraordinary skill in playing his instrument. As far as I am concerned "Skin Deep" remains the mother (or the father, or both parents) of all drum solos ever. But this is just a personal and subjective opinion. I'm speaking of this version of "Skin Deep" performed by the great Louis Bellson. I have another version recorded live at the Juan-Les-Pins Jazz Festival by Duke and his orchestra with Sam Woodyard on drums. That's where at the end of the drum solo, Duke Ellington said to the audience: "Sam Woodyard wants you to know that a drum is a woman"... But I do think that the Louis Bellson version is better! By the way does anyone know how the drummer does when towards the middle of the number he starts beating a drum at a constantly accelerating speed while playing on other drums or cymbals at the same time. You could believe he has four hands. This is not a question (I know the answer - I saw him performing), it's a quiz. One thing has to be noted: the original LP was containing only five tracks. It's been reissued on CD with two additional "bonus" tracks represented by the two parts of "The Controversial Suite" which therefore were not in the original LP. This rip is from the CD @ 320 with complete artwork and for the completists I have also included JPegs of the front and back covers of the LP.
Thanks for the kind words. I am always struck by the warm atmosphere here at Franklynot!
Well, before I get all sentimental and start crying in the Speakeasy's beer, let me switch subjects and genres, as we like to do over at the Big 10-Inch Record, and mention our latest item, which is another disk by the wonderful pianist Noel Mewton-Wood.
Hope I won't be thrown out through the swinging doors for touting the classics!
Oops, forgot the most important Cleo Laine that I'm looking for: RIDIN' HIGH: The British Sessions 1960-1971. Hopefully some kind soul has this one. Many thanks.
If you like Gypsy Jazz, this one is highly recommanded. If you don't know what it is, try it out, you won't be disappointed. Here is the Rosenberg Trio, featuring Stochelo Rosenberg on lead guitar playing with an unbelievable dexterity, Nous'che Rosenberg on rhythm guitar and Nonnie Rosenberg on bass. This album was recorded live at the Samois (France) Festival in June 2003. Samois is a little village by the river Seine outside Paris where Django Reinhardt settled and ultimately passed away at the age of 43 in 1953. Since 1968 there is a Festival in Samois dedicated to Gypsy Jazz.
For your (I hope) listening pleasure, another trio Rosenberg album recorded in 1994 with guest stars including the great Stephane Grappelli. It's called simply "Caravan" and obviously includes this title from the famous Duke Ellington composition. Ripped from CD @ 320 with complete HR artwork.
This is a post I just made in "European Cinema" shop. Since most of the music is very jazzy, I'm putting it here too.
The late Andre Hossein was Robert Hossein's father. He was a composer who wrote music scores for the films of his son and other movie directors as well. In 1958, Robert Hossein was 31 years old and directed his third movie, "Toi Le Venin" aka "Blonde In A White Car", after "Les Salauds Vont En Enfer" ("The Wicked Go To Hell") and "Pardonnez Nos Offenses", and for the third time he called his father for the score. The music of the first two movies had not been really noticed but the score of "Toi Le Venin" became a huge hit and made the fame of its composer. It was immediately released on a 45 EP and I was one of the numerous teenagers to buy it to play it in parties. Many moons later I bought a CD dedicated to the film music of Andre Hossein which I'd like to share here. It contains tracks from the following movies: "Toi Le Venin" (Blonde In A White Car - Robert Hossein - 1958), "Les Menteurs" (The Liars - Edmond T. Greville - 1961), "Les Scelerats" (The Wretches - Robert Hossein - 1959), "Une Gueule Comme La Mienne" (Rendezvous - Frederic Dard - 1960), "La Menace" (The Menace - Gerard Oury - 1961), "Le Jeu De La Verite" (The Game Of Truth - Robert Hossein - 1961), "La Loi Des Hommes" (Law Of Men - Charles Gerard - 1962), "Le Gout De La Violence" (The Taste Of Violence - Robert Hossein - 1961), "Le Vampire De Dusseldorf" (The Secret Killer - Robert Hossein - 1965), "L'Homme Qui Trahit La Mafia" (The Man Who Betrayed The Mafia - Charles Gerard - 1967), "Une Corde, Un Colt" (The Rope And The Colt - Robert Hossein - 1969). "Toi Le Venin" comprises three tracks on this CD where there were five tracks on the EP. So, as bonus tracks I have added the two tracks of the EP which are not on the CD, one of them being the end title ("Blues A La Nuit"), a shorter version of the main theme. You'll find the complete artwork included a 16 pages booklet with comprehensive liner notes written by Robert Hossein himself. I have added the front and back covers of the EP which is telling us that the Orchestra was conducted by Jean Medinger and that the score was composed by Andre Gosselain. If you want to know the relationship between Andre Gosselain and Andre Hossein, I advise you to read the interesting liner notes which are in both languages, french and english. Here is the link:
Robert Hossein mentionned that his father worked around the same type of formation as John Lewis's MJQ, often with added brass. He says that in films Andre Hossein had "Jazz in his blood". It is true to say that most of the scores on this CD are treated in a very jazzy way, so I'll post it also in "Quinlan's Jazz Speakeasy Shop".
I know this house is a house where many "Die Hard Lalo Schifrinites" gather in huge quantities.
Therefore I wanted to throw in something I found today, which may be of value to you. This is no soundtrack, though be forwarned :)) If this was already shared here, forgive me, please for the repetition. The link is from 2006 and still alive, so hurry up before...
This is not my own upload, so heartfelt thanks go to the original uploader... Incidentally it's @320kbps quite powerful! Be cautious for your speakers :))
@ mel Hello pal This one is for you. The 1955 Capitol studio recordings of the tunes performed in the film "The Benny Goodman Story" by Benny Goodman himself and a bunch of great players including Hymie Schertzer, Phil Bodner, Chris Griffin, Billy Butterfield, Harry James, Urbie Green, Lou McGarity, Lionel Hampton, Tony Mottola, Al Caiola, George Duvivier and others.. I think (I hope) that it is what you requested when we first open this shop. At that time I was unable to fulfill your request but I could not really stay on such a failure. For your information, as opposed to the original LP, there are five additional bonus tracks (King Porter Stomp, Sometimes I'm Happy, Goody Goody, Alicia's Blues & Seven Come Eleven). On the other hand, The LP included a version of "Stompin' At The Savoy" which had been taken from the "B.G. In Hi-Fi" sessions. That selection is not on this CD, but is included on the CD reissue of that LP which I posted here earlier. Here is "The Benny Goodman Story" by Benny Goodman, ripped from CD @ 320 with complete informative artwork.
@ Quinlan - This little speakeasy has been like the children's story of the little engine that could. It just chugs along at it's own pace with you at the controls.
Good. Now that my post will show up on the widget as appearing to be a nice little pep talk chit-chat sort of thing, I can give this to you friend to friend. You have been so kind to me over the time we've spent together I just had to give you this.
"Pete Kelly's Blues" 1955 Cd @320 Expanded Soundtrack Starring Pete Kelly & His Big Seven Featuring Peggy Lee & Ella Fitzgerald
2. Dixieland numbers performed by the musicians featured in the film (Matty Matlock, Clarinet & Arrangements; Dick Cathcart, Cornet; Eddie Miller, Tenor Sax; Elmer "Moe" Schneider, Trombone; Nick Fatool, Drums; George Van Eps, Guitar; Ray Sherman, Piano & Jud DeNaut, Bass). This is thanks to the generosity of filmpac who originally shared it in YDHTVTB:
Isbum, filmpac was absolutely right. The second part of the extended edition which you gave the track list of is exactly the dixieland numbers track list. The intros are by Jack Webb (film director & main actor). So with these two links we have now the entire extended edition which you couldn't afford to buy. No more worries mate!!! Not to mention rocket from mars offering coming soon... Enjoy
@ isbum I'm terribly confused. You finally did it with the Pete Kelly's Blues. I must confess that I'd been commenting on Filmscorium and failed to look at my own shop. I'm left wordless and even feel embarrassed. You recently received a number of complimentary comments and the least one can say is that you truly deserve them. Thank you very much my dear friend!
@ quinlan - No need to be confused or embarrassed, it is only a tiny gesture compared to the enormous amount of joy I take in being with so many wonderful people here.
@ Quinlan & Mel - Don't pass up this great jazz score Janus2810 posted. The score doesn't start to kick in until about track 8, but the mood is well established by the previous tracks. Here:
Piero Umiliani - "Intrigo a Los Angeles" 1964 Lp@ 192
@ isbum Thank you for drawing my attention to the Umiliani and Louis de Funes links. Both of them are excellent, so thank you too to janus2810 and segroeg for the relevant posts. Piero Umiliani's "Intrigo a Los Angeles" is indeed very jazzy and deserves a line in this shop. The tracks were not tagged, so, for those interested, here is the track list (Soundtrack Collector):
1. Idillio giallorosa (01:15) 2. Minorenne cercasi (01:54) 3. Movimento con swing (04:12) 4. Tipi sospetti (05:28) 5. Motel (01:38) 6. Spogliarello da circo (04:15) 7. Jazz bar (03:21) 8. Pedinamento (01:38) 9. Agguato (03:19) 10. Nel labirinto (01:36) 11. Ritmo neutronico (01:34) 12. Contagio atomico (01:40) 13. Messaggio elettronico (02:40) 14. Fissione nucleare (01:50) 15. Comunicazione spaziale (00:54)
By the way, as mel did, I loved the Louis de Funes. I noticed that it was volume 2, which means that there was a volume 1. Has it been posted? I tried to look it up in the quinlan's link lists (you know, these crazy lists from this crazy guy) but couldn't locate it. Thanks again
@ mel Thank you very much, pal, for the kind words. You know, I'm like this Number 2 Car Rental Company, I try harder. By the way, I have to apologize not to have replied to your comment asking me where from I had got the "Benny Goodman Story" Studio recordings released just after the film release. Well, I must say that I'm certainly not mistaken, if I say that I do share with you, among other things, a taste for the big bands of the swing era. When you commented that in your opinion, this BG record was excellent, even better than the original soundtrack, I felt very frustrated not having it, because I'm totally trusting you in your judgements. In addition, as I previously mentionned, Capitol is a kind of magic label for me. As a matter of fact I think I could buy anything from Capitol blindfold. This is purely emotional, because it reminds me my teenage years, when I was reading regularly with amazed eyes the Capitol magazine describing the new releases. I couldn't afford to buy them, except a very few ones time to time, and when it was happening, it was making me feeling like being the king of the world. I still have these records and do intend to post them here, restoring time permitting (some of the Ray Anthonys I already posted are part of them). The last point of frustration was that I absolutely wanted to fulfill this request because it was coming from you. So, it became a sort of obsession to have it. I made a little search for it, and found it rather easily at *m*z*n. And here it is, and I am quite happy to have it and above all to share it with you. All the best.
I am very touched - not only that you trusted my opinion about the Capitol Benny Goodman, but also that you went to all that trouble to locate my special request for it so that you could share it with me. I hope you were not disappointed with it.
Obsessions…..like you, Capitol was a magic label for me - ever since I was a kid. I have in my hand right now (it sits on my desk, here next to the computer) a complete 184 page Capitol catalog from 1953. Get these names: Ray Anthony, Les Baxter, Mel Blanc, Buddy Cole, Nat King Cole, Frank De Vol, Duke Ellington, The Four Freshmen, Stan Freberg, Jackie Gleason, Benny Goodman, Stan Kenton, Peggy Lee, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Billy May, Johnny Mercer, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Nelson Riddle, Jo Stafford, Mel Torme, Paul Weston, Margaret Whiting and hundreds of others (Frank Sinatra was yet to join them). I remember the records that I was given as presents when I was little: Sparky’s Magic Piano, I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat; then those that I save up my pennies for: Slaughter On Tenth Avenue by the amazing young pianist Diana Lynn, the Nat King Cole favorites…..I could go on and on. Sadly that label is a very different entity today. But it’s great to remember those good old days - and to realize that we have managed to find again so many of these old recordings right here on the internet.
Thank you very much, pal - you did my heart good with your message. Kindest regards.
@ mel Yes, yes, yes!!! What you're saying is exactly how I feel. Just for old times' sake and the pleasure of good memories of our youth, let me add a few names to the enchanting ones you have listed: Les Brown, Harry James, Gene Vincent, Bobby Hackett, The King Sisters, Dick Haymes, The Dinning Sisters, Judy Garland, Plas Johnson, Ella Mae Morse, Louis Prima, Keely Smith, Kay Starr, Lou Bush, Joe Bushkin... Not too bad either! Incidently, I didn't go to any trouble at all to locate the BG. It was a real pleasure, and yes, I do love this record. Very best regards, pal.
@ Mel & Quinlan - You guys got me all sentimental over my days living two blocks from Capitol Records. The RCA building on Sunset could also be seen from my apartment window.
Of course these memories are only 30 years ago. Who, but me, would wax nostalgic over the '70's? ;)
@ Quinlan - Funny as things go with our group here, after making the above post, I checked my email and found this message from Mel.
Mel said... Quinlan and I were discussing and reminiscing over our long-time love for the Capitol Records label at Jazz Speakeasy. I was reluctant to take up so much space in digressing from the subject at hand, but I would also like to tell him to take a peek at this blog by someone who used to work for Capitol Records:
http://www.popculturefanboy.blogspot.com/
@ Mel thanks for passing this along. Very interesting indeed!
Can't thank you enough for the link to the Capitol records site. I too love the label. The list of names you cite leads me to wonder if you have any wants from that era that I might have. Specifically, I was thinking of putting Diana Lynn and Mel Blanc LPs on the Big 10-Inch Record in the near future, but have many others on that list.
Funny how things happen here. I just sent you a request to contact me by e-mail over at Golden Age Of Hollywood.
Don't worry - what I wanted to ask you was exactly this: For years I have been hunting for the 10" Diana Lynn LP Piano Moods - Capitol H180 - and here you are actually offering it!! That you actually have it is the most fantastic news.
And, yes, I would like the Mel Blanc also if that's not being too greedy....
I do have that Diana Lynn album. (I think I have the 78 album, too, strangely enough). What a doll she was - and talented. I'll put it at the top of the queue.
@ all,
By the way (pardon the commercial interruption), Big 10-Inch Record recently posted an unusual LP of blues records by Ida May Mack and Bessie Tucker, recorded 80 years ago this week in Memphis. If you like Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey, you'll probably like these sides.
@ buster Belated thanks to you too for your permanent and precious contribution here. Anything from Capitol records here or on your blog will be most welcome
Last week, I've been meeting some very old college friends whom I had not seen for over 46 years. This was very cheerful as we were remembering very pleasant things of our teens. Our earliest memories were of music and particularly the music we were dancing on in parties. That's how we came to remember a song we loved to smooch on and which was a true pop hit in 1957/58, "Bad Boy" by Clarence Palmer And The Jive Bombers. The Jive Bombers music was not precisely jazz but in some respect was not too far from it. Having a Savoy LP gathering three sessions of this group, I proposed my friends to digitize it and ultimately thought I could also share it here. It was released in the Savoy Jazz serie; the group was backed by such jazzmen as Kenny Burrell on guitar, Leonard Gaskin on bass and Bobby Donaldson on drums. All this and a certain kind of swing makes it not too odd to post in a blog mainly dedicated to jazz. Let's hope that it'll remind you also some good memories. Ripped @ 320 from LP with complete artwork, here it is:
I haven't visited your blog for a while and I was happily surprised to see the huge development you all have done to the place.
I also have found tons of my favorite music here and I must thank all of you for that.
Additions to the blog as this part (Jazz Speakeasy) are just wonderful and just continue the excellent music orientation that Isbums place had from the start.
@ quinlan Great job my friend, many thnxs for the excellent music you were kind enough to share with me and the rest of the visitors here. I read at your Ray Anthony posts and I hope that you don't have the following album I found at someplace on the Net. It's too difficult to keep track of what has already been posted, so I ask of your forgiveness if the album is already posted.
It's Ray Anthony - Young Ideas from 1957. I hope it's the kind of album you were thinking about when starting this thread.
I have some questions regarding the kind of albums that can be posted here. Please clarify the eras and the kind of jazz (fusion, free, jazz-funk etc.)that would fit in here. I myself am a 60's and 70's lover to almost all kinds of music, including jazz, but not strictly to classics. It would help me to know what kind would fit in here, so when I have the time to upload some without being off-topic.
Many thnxs again for the excellent music that you people dedicate your time to provide to the rest of us.
Ray Anthony - Young Ideas (1957) http://rapidshare.com/files/143290601/Ray_Anthony_-_Young_Ideas.rar.html
@ stumble on this Thank you for the nice words and for posting new items. I had the Ray Anthony, certainly from the same place where you downloaded it from. But this shop is not reserved to me and there may be some other visitors who will enjoy downloading it. The Sid Ramin are most welcome too (I had "New Threshold In Sound" but at a lower bitrate). As far as the kind of jazz that would fit in here, I would say...any kind. Just post what you like, hopefully you'll find someone to like what you like. That's the philosophy here. Personally, fusion or free jazz are not really my cup of tea, but I'm always open to discover what I don't know. So, welcome board and feel free to post as the mood takes you.
@ stumble on this - I am 100% in agreement with what Quinlan said. Post what you like and people will either appreciate the opportunity to check out something new or maybe request music in a similar style.
Have fun, and I'm happy you stumbled back in this place. ;)
1.Storyville Presents: Jackie & Roy (original recordings remastered) 2.Mr. Wilson - Fabulous Teddy Wilson at the Piano 3.Ralph Sharon Trio plays Tony Bennett Songbook (*without Tony himself)
I couldn't find it for download or buy anywhere. Please help!
@ stumble on this Thank you very very much for all your links and your generosity in accepting to share the music you like. There is one area where you could be of some help to me. You probably noticed that in the franklynot home page there is a banner which says "Quinlan's Excel Archive Spreadshhets". Maybe you had the curiosity to download these lists. Since this blog first opened, I am publishing on a monthly basis lists under the MS Excel software summarizing all links with details for each link concerning the date it was posted, the "poster's" name, the title of the album/track or whatever piece of of work and the name of the relevant artist(s). What I'd like to kindly ask you is, for each of your link posted here, to indicate clearly the name of the main artist concerned (composer, performer, arranger...) and the title of the work. I know it may be somehow available from the link itself but it's not always very explicit. In addition, considering the wide range of different jazz styles, I think it would be informative and useful if you could tell us in a few words what kind of music it is. This would tremendously help me in the making of the monthly link lists. Thank you again for your contribution and for your co-operation as well.
I thought that the links were self explanatory, but you're right. As far as the description I'll do my best, although I haven't done that before. Would a copy & paste of a part of a review will do the job?
Also I had downloaded one of your lists in the past but it was too long ago and it was concerning soundtracks. I'll get them and try not to upload duplicate albums.
Also to add a request... If anyone has anything else from Gustav Brom and can upload it or provide a link I would be much obliged.
@ stumble on this Thank you for your answer and your understanding. In what I was suggesting, there was no obligation on your part to comment on the musician or his piece of work. It's up to you and yes a copy & paste of any review or part of it would certainly do. Just indicate the source. I was suggesting that also for your own satisfaction. I guess that if you take time to rip and upload an album with the intention of sharing it here or anywhere else, it's with pleasure that you'll see it downloaded and eventually commented by visitors who may come from every part of the world. With no download, you may wonder whether it's worth the effort and could feel soon discouraged . One thing you've got to realize is that basically (but not only) this blog and its branches are dedicated to film and/or show scores. In this respect, you may note that such shops, as we call them, as "European Cinema", "Asian Cinema", "Big Western Round Up", "Golden Age Of Hollywood" and "Broadway Bound" have a self explanatory name. There are three exceptions: "Vinyl Adventures", "Classical Music Hall" and this one "Jazz Speakeasy" to propose something else than soundtracks. In addition, you certainly noted that there is a very big number of Jazz blogs in blogland. This means that the visitors here will come firstly for what they are looking for i.e. movie scores. So you should not expect hundreds and hundreds of downloads when it's not this kind of music. However there is one way to try to attract people to the music you like and want to share, it's to tell them what it is and why you like it. Let's take an example. I have a reasonable knowledge in jazz music, mostly in its traditional aspect but I do not pretend to know everything, far from it! Looking at your recent posts, I had never heard of Gustav Brom. The wording of the link seems to indicate that he's coming from Eastern Europe (it may be Rumania, Hungaria, Serbia or Czech Republic...) and I first had a tendancy to think that he was one of these avant-garde musicians I am not too keen on. But since I am curious, I googled his name and this is what I found at Wikipedia: "Gustav Brom, (May 22, 1921 - September 25, 1995) was a Czech big band leader, arranger, clarinettist and composer. He achieved fame in Europe and abroad from the 1940’s right through to his death in 1995. He worked prolifically and was noted for remaining true to the jazz big band idiom, beginning with Dixieland and swing and later, with contributions from his musicians, moving into the West Coast jazz sound." When I read that, I realized that I was totally wrong and this man was playing music I like, from the swing and the big band era. He was recognized by people like Maynard Ferguson, Dizzy Gillespie or Ray Conniff. This is enough for me to think that it's certainly worth a download and a listen. I have the same remark for Dusko Gojkovic. Reading that he played with such musicians as Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins or the Francy Boland/Kenny Clarke Big Band is enough for me to have an idea of his quality and to feel like listening to it. Again, please don't take these observations as instructions to follow, you're perfectly free to post the way you want to do it. As isbum precised when opening the original blog, there are just three things which will get your post removed: 1. Complaining 2. Being Negative or Rude 3. Your Name is Greg Forget about the third one which has been taken care of and you see that there are not a lot of constraints being a contributor here. The only one I am sort of placing on everyone posting in franklynot is to indicate the album title and artist name. As far as your posts are concerned could you please confirm that my understanding as follows is correct: 1. Buddy Rich & Maynard Ferguson: "Buddy Rich & Maynard Ferguson play selections from West Side Story & other delights" 2. Carlos Franzetti: "Grafitti" 3. Gerald Wilson: "Eternal Equinox" 4 & 5. For The Gustav Brom and the Dusko Gojkovic, I am not sure of the album title. Can you help? Sorry for this long lecture and thank you for your past, present and future contributions. All the best.
@ cloud9 Sorry I don't have any of the three albums you requested. But please stay tuned, hopefully someone reading your requests will be able to fulfill them. Good luck
Perhaps, I've found some information, about another (of that 3) release:
Here is a link to info from Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007OE5E6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= And here - is the tracklist:
01. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes 02. Rosetta 03. These Foolish Things 04. Them There Eyes 05. I Can't Get Started 06. China Boy 07. I Can't Give You Anything But Love 08. I Surrender, Dear 09. I've Got the World on a String 10. After You've Gone 11. Bess, You Is My Woman Now 12. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
some my friends think, that it is his most brilliant album ever. What do you could say about this one?
It's about one of the most hard-to-find albums of Teddy Wilson - "Mr.Wilson - The Fabulous Teddy Wilson at the Piano". Everywhere, everyday: I'd like to find it in lossless or mp3, but I have to!
P.S. And also I want to find (as I wrote before) "Tony Bennett Songbook played by Ralph Sharon Trio"*
*- Trio, not Quartet, and without Tony Bennett himself.
You're right, and I think that Teddy Wilson albums generally are not easy to find nowadays. I myself would certainly like that one, and also the one titled (I think) "Mr. Wilson And Mr. Gershwin". And I think there was another one called "The Impeccable Mr. Wilson".
I do have some Ralph Sharon stuff but not that one.
Sure, but 2 hrs. ago, I think, i've to find the Right Man, who could find this disc here, at Russian Federation on CD from one of his friends. If I'll catch it, I'll upload it on Rapidshare.com in lossless as soon, as I could.
And for a minute, does anybody has someone of theese 22 albums in lossless:
1.Benny Goodman - Live at Carnegie Hall 2.Gerry Mulligan - What Is There To Say 3.Duke Ellington - In A Mellotone 4.Nat "King" Cole - After Midnight 5.Ray Brown - Straight Ahead 6.Telonius Monk - Monk by Monk by 5 7.Frank Sinatra - Swing Easy 8.Charlie Parker - Bird and Diz 9.Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman 10.Bix Beiderbecke - Riverboat Shuffle 11.Bobby Hackett and Jack Teagarden - Coast Consert 12.Charlie Christian - Genius of Electric Guitar + 13.Complete Norman Granz Sessions with Oscar Peterson - 14.Dexter Gordon - Homecoming (Live At The Village Vanguard) 15.Eddie Condon - Bixieland \ Treasury of Jazz 16.Herb Geller -That Geller Feller 17.Herbie Mann - Windows Opened \ Inspiration that I Feel 18.Lady Day - The Complete Billie Holiday On Columbia [1933-1944] 19.Ole Torme - Mel Torme goes south with Billy May - 20.Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert 21.Jimmy Rushing - Rushing Lullabies 22.Stan Getz at Storyville vol.1 & vol.2
Hi all :-) I'm about to share 2 Dick Hyman albums and below is some info about him.... if you like his style and you think this is the proper place to share the uploads let me know so I can share some more I have from him. Personally I love his way of playing and the space-age feeling that his sound has. Both albums include his versions of well-known movie hits. Hopefully you'll enjoy them as I have.
"Dick Hyman is a pianist, organist, arranger, conductor and composer. As a busy studio musician, he has won seven “Most Valuable Player” awards from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, having recorded more than 100 albums under his own name and even more in support of other artists. Hyman has performed solo, with orchestras, with his own quintet, with cornetist Ruby Braff and in duo piano performances with George Shearing, Derek Smith, Roger Kellaway, Ralph Sutton and Dick Wellstood. In 1975, Dick Hyman was asked to conduct the New York Jazz Repertory Company on a State Department-sponsored tour of the former Soviet Union. Hyman has acted as music director for radio and television, including the 1989-90 In Performance at the White House. He has written numerous scores for television dramas and documentaries for which he has received Emmy Awards for both composing and musical direction. He has also orchestrated Broadway musicals and composed scores for films, including many for writer-director Woody Allen. He composed and performed the score for the Cleveland Ballet’s Piano Man and for Twyla Tharp’s The Bum’s Rush with the American Ballet Theatre. His concert compositions include his Piano Concerto, Ragtime Fantasy, and Sonata for Violin and Piano. Other projects include an interactive CD-Rom, A Century of Jazz Piano, and with John Sheridan, Forgotten Dreams...Archives of Novelty Piano. Hyman created and served for 20 years as artistic director for the 92nd Street Y’s Jazz in July series and was selected by his successor for its 2006 “Jazz Legend” tribute. He has been artistic director for Jazz Piano at the Y since its inception in the ‘70s. His Web site is www.dickhyman.com."
Dick Hyman - The Man From O.R.G.A.N http://rapidshare.com/files/144119768/Dick_Hyman_-_The_Man_From_O.R.G.A.N.rar.html
Dick Hyman at the lowrey organ - Fabulous (1963) http://rapidshare.com/files/144119096/dick_hyman_at_the_lowrey_organ_-_fabulous_-_1963___320_.rar.html
@ stumble on this Great Dick Hyman shares for which you deserve my deepest appreciation. You understand that this place is perfectly adapted for this music. If you have some more, please go ahead without restraint. And also thank you for very informative comments. Great job!
@ mel Your little bird was quite right and I am more than happy to be able to provide it to your satisfaction. Based on your request, I will post it here very soon with great pleasure (originally I was thinking of sharing it privately you know where). It's coming pal, just a little patience and you have it. BTW, for the people who are not understanding what I am talking about, it's "Conniff Meets Butterfield" starring the great jazz trumpeter Billy Butterfield with his gorgeous sound on the inimitable and so swingin' Ray Conniff's arrangements. Cheers
I'll skip the Dick Hymans for now to share a compilation from another great artist. His name Dave Pike...
"David Samuel Pike (born March 23, 1938 in Detroit) is a jazz vibraphone player. He learned drums at the age of eight and is self taught on vibes. He has also played marimba, particularly with Herbie Mann. Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson, and Cal Tjader were early inspirations for him."
Included at his "Set" scheme you'll be listening to another great one, Volker Kriegel, who takes charge of playing acoustic, classical, and electric guitar as well as sitar.
I have many albums from both (not all though)... so ask away if there's something you would like to have from them.
Cheers to all, especially @quinlan for his support and of course Isbum (this paradise creator:-))
Dave Pike Set - Masterpieces (1997) http://rapidshare.com/files/144209866/Dave_Pike_Set_-_Masterpieces__1996_.rar.html
@ mel & the Ray Conniff / Billy Butterfield aficionados Band leader, arranger & trombonist Ray Conniff is not to be introduced, nor is the great jazz trumpeter Billy Butterfield. In 1959 they recorded an album together called "Conniff Meets Butterfield". Here are some excerpts from the original LP liner notes: "The album you are looking at contains a dozen superb tunes, all brought up to date with Billy's tastefully sophisticated and, when needed, hard-driving jazz. Billy Butterfield, his embouchure and trumpet carry the ball in this set. And what a ball he's having. His rugged, he-man tones and Conniff's glass-smooth, swinging-sweet arrangements do more than rustle the ear lobes that are, happily, within listening range. These sounds go beyond the finger-snapping and toe-tapping bit. For these lads, the snapping-tapping stage is just a starting point. They prefer to get heads and shoulders a-pumping, too, in the best therapeutic manner." Nothing to add to that. Here it is, ripped from LP @ 320 with complete artwork:
Enjoy BTW, mel I also have the other album recorded by Ray Conniff with Billy Butterfield "Just Kiddin' Around". In case you or someone else would be interested.
@ cloud9 Reur request Here is Nat "King" Cole's After Midnight complete session (17 tracks) @ 320 with front cover. Not my rip, thanks to the original uploader:
Thank you very much, pal, for Conniff Meets Butterfield. I was surprised when I was hunting for it that it has been so hard to find these days - it was a best-selling LP for years!
I already have Just Kiddin' Around, but thanks anyway.
@ cloud9 Sorry, I missed the point where you were saying that the albums you requested had to be in a lossless format. Never mind! Now just a little question: do you really see a differencec between an mp3 compression @ 320 properly done and a lossless format, except the size of the file. I mean, can you really hear the difference. Please don't see any mockery in my question, it's because as far as I am concerned I can hardly see a difference apart from a big difference in size which may create a problem of storage for the heavy downloader I am. Cheers
Yeh, sure, 'cause I have HUGE USSR-spesakers like myself's size))) *joke* ("Iskra" full-stereo something about 1.5metres high and 300 kw power). It's the great thing and I really see a difference between @ 320 and a lossless format.
P.S. And, of course, It's much more better to use lossless audio, if you want to burn it like original CD.)) I'm still looking for theese albums and be very thankfull, if somebody could help me in hunting)))
Thank you one more time for posting Jackie & Roy Storyville Sessions - they're amazing! But if you have it in lossless (flac or ape), could you repost them here once more time?
@ Quinlan and jazzers
I just found some of my "wishlist" albums in lossless (below), but they're downloading too slow, it takes much more time, than I want... Do someone want some? I'll post them to rapidshare.com, while they're ready.
list of:
1.Benny Goodman - Live at Carnegie Hall 2.Gerry Mulligan - What Is There To Say 3.Nat "King" Cole - After Midnight 4.Ray Brown - Straight Ahead 5.Frank Sinatra - Swing Easy 6.Charlie Parker - Bird and Diz 7.Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman 8.Charlie Christian - Genius of Electric Guitar + 9.Complete Norman Granz Sessions with Oscar Peterson - 10.Stan Getz at Storyville
Below is the best album of Dick Farney albums I have heard so far (have listened to 7 so far)...
Some info about him can be found here... http://www.answers.com/topic/dick-farney
All other 6 albums are cool latin tunes, but this one with Orquestra Gaya stands out for sure.
Dick Farney and Orquestra Gaya - Piano, Orquestra (1965) http://rapidshare.com/files/146279852/Dick_Farney___Orquestra_Gaya_-_Piano__Orquestra__1965_.rar.html
Yeh, sure)) I just hunting for albums from his famous book "Portraits in Jazz" and when it's over (with your help, friend, it'll be soon!) i'll uload all of them here in lossless and mp3 vers.!!!
theese I couldn't find in lossless, but still hunting:
1.Duke Ellington - In A Mellotone 2.Thelonius Monk - Monk by Monk by 5 - 4.Bobby Hackett and Jack Teagarden - Coast Consert 6.Dexter Gordon - Homecoming (Live At The Village Vanguard) 7.Eddie Condon - Bixieland \ Treasury of Jazz 8.Herb Geller -That Geller Feller 9.Herbie Mann - Windows Opened \ Inspiration that I Feel 10.Lady Day - The Complete Billie Holiday On Columbia [1933-1944] 11.Ole Torme - Mel Torme goes south with Billy May 12.Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert 13.Jimmy Rushing - Rushing Lullabies 14.Lionell Hampton - You better know it!!!
I've just finished downloading 10-CD Edition of Billie Holiday at Columbia, early ears - all in ape+cue, 1.8Gb!!! Greater than hell!
and here I post the information for the last album from "my collection", that i hunting:
"RALPH SHARON TRIO Music for the Late Hours: The Tony Bennett Song Book"
1.Just in Time 2.I Wanna Be Around 3.Who Can I Turn To? 4.One for My Baby (And One More for the Road) 5.The Kid's a Dreamer 6.Blues for a Rainy Day 7.The Good Life 8.You Came a Long Way from St. Louis 9.In San Francisco 10.Stranger in Town 11.Blues for Mr. T
I just discovered a great post-war New York jazz combo player called George Wallington. That guy's stuff is tight, anyone into him round these parts?
And I wonder if anyone's a fan of the Japanese jazz pianist Makoto Ozone. I just heard a track by him on internet radio and like his sound very much, too. :)
Funny you should use the word "cool" - a word I rarely use unless it's to describe the ambient temperature.
I was first introduced to the music of George Wallington back in the 1950s. No doubt you are acquainted with the famous ground-breaking Miles Davis 9-piece band of 1948-1949 which later became known as The Birth Of The Cool. Well, Wallington's composition "Godchild" was one of the items recorded by the band, and it led me to seek out recordings by the pianist himself. I found only one in those days and it's only in the last few years that I've been able to get all these others.
Hi to all , sorry for not being a more regular visitor Just like to bring you jazzheads attention to some recent jazz discography sites (with downloads) that are currently running Firstly my own
Flying Dutchman Records http://flying--dutchman.blogspot.com/ Impulse Records http://orangeandblackspines.wordpress.com/ Strata East Records http://strata-east.blogspot.com/ MPS Records http://mps-love.blogspot.com/ Mainstream Records http://shad-shack.blogspot.com/
All of these blogs also accept contributions also Hope you enjoy :)
@ quinlan, Here's one more album with Billy May, it's from my wishlist and so in flac+whole res. covers: "Olé Tormé! Mel Torme Goes South with Billy May" (1959) [Verve][212 Mb]
Tracklisting: 1. At The Crossroads (Malaguena) 2. Frenesi 3. Adios 4. Baia 5. Six Lessons From Madame La Zonga 6. Rosit, 7. South Of The Border 8. Nina 9. Cuban Love Song 10. Perfidia 11. The Rhumba Jumps 12. Vaya Con Dios
http://narod.ru/disk/2836941000/Ole.rar.html
if there would be any problems with downloading, I could re-up it on rapidshare.com
Thank you very much for the Billy May's soundtrack. Here's a masterpiece from the Italian great Maestro Armando Trovajoli: "Trovajoli jazz piano" (RCA ITALIA 1959)
another one for your listening pleasure: "Dire Tempo jazz" a collection of italian jazz cuts from the laber Dire jazz, reissued from Tempo Jazz. 70's style....
Ellington fans will be familiar with vocalist Herb Jeffries. We have one of his solo albums on the Big 10-Inch Record. Actually two of them, one posted today and one some time ago.
Also new on the blog is a record by the Johnson Family Singers. That's a gospel group, but it spawned Betty Johnson, who later made records for Atlantic and other labels. But please don't expect this one to sound jazzy! It does not.
@ all - anyone know what happened to the great jazz blog Musical Moadom? I swear it was there this morning and now I just get something like king2B or other nonsense.
I know they had a bit of a blogger problem earlier this week (3 RIAA warnings) but I thought it was taken care of. Also, usually if blogger shuts you down there's a note saying so.
Back to "work" after a hiatus due to unplanned but welcome short holiday. Here is Shorty Rogers "Manteca - Afro-Cuban Influence" recorded in 1958 with a big band featuring first class musicians such as Frank Rosolino, Bob Enevoldsen, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Herb Geller, Joe Mondragon, Shelly Manne and many others. Track list: 1. Manteca (Dizzy Gillespie-Chano Pozo-Gil Fuller) 2. Moon Over Cuba (Duke Ellington-Juan Tizol) 3. Viva Puente (Shorty Rogers) 4. Un Poco Loco (Bud Powell) 5. Wayacañanga Suite (Carlos Vidal-Modesto Duran-Shorty Rogers) Highly recommended!!! Ripped from CD @ 320 with complete artwork.
I've been fulfilling a private request somewhere else and although I can't say it's really jazz, I thought it would be nice to share it here. "Moondreams" by Dick Haymes recorded in 1957 for Capitol Records. Ripped from LP @ 320 with complete artwork.
@ jimi vampiro You came to the right place. Here is Elmer Bernstein "Staccato". Not my rip, thanks to the generosity of the original uploader. The compression rate is 160 kbs but the sound is of a very good quality.
@quinlan: I knew this was the RIGHT place! thank you so much.... I'm posting here some of the much beautiful records in Italian 70's jazz, but I have no feedback..do you like this kind of sexy, groovy jazz?
First is the duo of pianist Russ Freeman and drummer Shelly Manne in a 1954 recording. Also, we have a rare outing of the same vintage by pianist George Greeley - not really jazz, but worth hearing.
This is an album recorded in 1964 by one of my favorite guitarist with his magic thumb, Wes Montgomery: "Movin' Wes". In this session, Wes is backed up by a bunch of fist class musicians such as trombonists Jimmy Cleveland, Urbie Green and Quentin Jackson, trompetists Ernie Royal, Clark Terry and Snooky Young, saxophonist Jerome Richardson and drummer Grady Tate, the whole thing beeing arranged and conducted by Johnny Pate. The track list is as follows: Caravan, People, Movin' Wes - Part 1 & 2, Moca Flor, Matchmaker, The Phoenix Love Theme, Theodora, In And Out, Born To Be Blue, West Coast Blues. The rip is @ 320 from the CD reedition with complete artwork.
@ jimi vampiro Sorry for my late reply to your posts. I've been and still am somewhat overloaded recently and couldn't devote as much time to this blog as it deserves. Yes your italian jazz posts are most welcome here, and please don't worrry with the absence of feed back comments. It's also happening to me, and I keep going on. We should not look for a big number of downloads. Just the high quality of the happy few downloaders counts... If you have other requests, please do not hesitate. Cheers
@ all At last the link summaries as of October 31 have been posted in the usual space. I'd like to ask you to forgive me for not beeing as punctual as usual due to exceptional circumstances. It's to be noted that October is a record month in terms of number of links. We achieved a total number of 527 links only for Filmscorium as opposed to 389 in September or 284 in August. The last month recording more links than the current one was September 2007 with 684 links. So it's nice to see that the crisis is not with us... I'd like also to catch this opportunity to give you a reminder, in particular to the welcome and so productive newcomers. If you appreciate what I'm doing you can be of a tremendous help to me in making sure that your links are clearly described with the album title and the artist(s) name(s), the way you would like them to be reported in the link lists I prepare. In addition, if you use the hyper link technique, please report the complete link as the hyper link. Words like "here", or "click" oblige me to open the link to be able to copy and paste it. In this respect look at what filmpac is doing which is perfect for me. Also, if you refer to a request, please repeat the album and artist name. If you just say, when answering the request, "here is what you wanted", it obliges me to go back to the request which sometimes was raised several days earlier, to identify the link. So, you would oblige me by accepting to follow these little rules. It would save me a lot of time. Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
I know there are quite a few Michel Legrand fans among our visitors, so here is an album which I don't remember seeing posted in blogland. It's merely called "Big Band". Michel Legrand arranged his own compositions, plays piano and conducts a bunch of talented French musicians with his unique touch. Track list is as follows: Le Petit Journal; I Will Wait For You; Dingo Lament; Dingo Rock; Images; You Must Believe In Spring; Pieces Of Dreams; The Windmills Of Your Mind; Ray Blues; Fast Food. Details of personnel and soloists for each track are in the 20 pages booklet in French and in English. Ripped from CD @ 320 with complete artwork for your listening pleasure:
@ mel Hi pal A little bird told me that you were looking for a particular Tete Montoliu track. I have the four albums (TMILTP). If you're patient enough, they will be here in the not too distant future. Cheers
Between June 1952 and October 1954, the great producer Norman Granz supervised 9 Jam Sessions with the best Jazz musicians of that time. Just a few names will convince you: Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson, Barney Kessel, Ray Brown, Harry Edison, Stan Getz, Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Roy Eldridge, Lionel Hampton, Dizzy Gillespie, Herb Ellis, Louie Bellson and many others. No need to add anything to this dream list. These sessions were released on LPs and later on 5 CDs in a fine box set which I'd like to share here. All details relating to the tracks, the sessions and the musicians are in the detaiked 72 pages booklet included with the complete artwork of each disc. CD 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/169046082/TCNGCD1_JS_1__2_.rar CD 2 http://rapidshare.com/files/169050726/TCNGCD2_JS_3__4_.rar CD 3 http://rapidshare.com/files/169055273/TCNGCD3_JS_5__6_.rar CD 4 http://rapidshare.com/files/169060475/TCNGCD4_JS_7__8_.rar CD 5 http://rapidshare.com/files/169064197/TCNGCD5_JS_9_.rar Booklet & Box http://rapidshare.com/files/169066184/TCNGBooklet_Box.rar Listen with respect and delight.
This one is for my good friend mel and for all the piano solo lovers in general and Catalan maestro Tete Montoliu's fans in particular. The Music I Like To Play_Volume 1, containing Bobby Hutcherson's "Little B's Poem".
Downbeat Review; Recorded in Rome in 1968 this session captures the legendary Paris-based ensemble formed by the pioneering bebop drummer and the talented Belgian pianist arranger at its peak, a period when its tight unison playing of Boland's lively charts brought it as close to big band perfection as was possible east of Kansas City. In addition to the ubiquitous Mondo Cane theme More, the CD includes inventive arrangements of Trovaioli's ballad Roma nun fà la stupida stasera and the theme to Divorce Italian Style.
Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band - More (Recorded in July 17,1968, Rome)
1. Seven Golden Men (from "Sette Uomini D'Oro") [A.Trovajoli]
@ all Just to let you know that the link lists thru November are now posted. It's a bit earlier than last month but still not quite what I want to achieve in terms of deadline. Hope to do better next month in spite of the Christmas and New Year's Eve which may be hard to get over...
416 comments:
1 – 200 of 416 Newer› Newest»Welcome everyone to Quinlan's Jazz Speakeasy!
For nearly a year now, Quinlan has been one of Franklynot's most dedicated and devoted friends.
Over this time he has also nurtured my love for jazz in it's many different forms.
In short, it's been a pleasure sharing music with him and receiving music from him.
This is for you Quinlan, and all the jazz lovers here at Franklynot.
I turn this over to you my good friend. Let's enjoy some great jazz together!
Foreword
First of all, let me express my deepest gratitude to our host Isbum, who's generously allowing us to have a personal space in his blog. Isbum, my dear friend, you are a gentleman, that goes without saying but that goes even better in saying so. Thank you sir!
This shop is dedicated mainly to Jazz music. All kinds of Jazz with a certain emphasis on its traditional aspects, but also its ramifications towards Latin jazz, pop-rock jazz and so on. You may see that the field is wide and has remote limits. Requests will be most welcome and contributions as well. If you like the place, feel free to post whatever you think can fit in it.
Please, note that the posts made by yours truly will always come from my personal collection of LPs and CDs with rips @ 320 kbps after restoration if necessary and complete high-resolution artwork when available.
It may happen that an album posted here under my signature can be found already posted in another blog. Nevertheless my posts will always be from original rips and uploads and there will never be links "borrowed" from somewhere else.
One exception to this rule: if I cannot fulfill a request from my personal record collection, but can do it from some stuff previously downloaded from other blogs, it will be duly mentioned and the original uploader credited with his name if available or anonymously if not.
And now, ladies and gentlemen, let's make way for the music!
For my first post here, I'd like to offer an album, which has been and still is an essential contribution to my dedication to jazz music.
During the fifties, in my teenage years, the new vinyl records were coming out and we had just enough pocket money to buy 45 rpms, singles or EPs. It was more difficult to buy LPs because of their higher cost. A cousin of mine, a bit older than I was, was working for a record company and was entitled to have free records. It happened that for some reason, she obtained two records in duplicate each. So she gave me the two spare ones and that's how I had my first LPs. You can imagine how happy I was…
These two records were the first two volumes of outstanding series of jam sessions that the great trumpeter Buck Clayton recorded between 1953 and 1956 for Columbia under the direction of producers George Avakian and John Hammond. They were taking advantage of the dimension of the newly introduced 12' LPs and were often recording one (or maximum two) track(s) on each side. So tracks could have a running time up to 20 minutes sometimes. The principle was to call about a dozen guys who often were discovering who they were the day of the recording; have a rough arrangement for the ensemble, let Buck name the players for their solo turn and a jam session resulted.
When I first listened to volume 1 which I am offering here, I was so fascinated that I think I listened to it 15 times straight off and realized that Jazz was my music.
I will not comment any more on Buck Clayton who was one of the many great swingmen produced by the Middle West and particularly, as far as jazz is concerned, Kansas City. He played with the Count Basie's Band between 1936 and 1943 and you will recognize most of the players in these jam sessions as being part of the Count's orchestra at one time or another.
You understood that these recordings are very dear to me. I think it's really what jazz is all about. (Organized) improvisation, first class performers and above all…swing. You know, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got it.
For me, the musicians here are playing better than well. They're playing right!!!
Just have a look at the rhythm section of that volume 1, with Freddie Green on guitar, Walter Page on bass and the great Jo Jones on drums. It says it all.
Volume 1 I am presenting here has two long tracks, "The Huckle-Buck" and "Robbin's Nest" and was, by the way, the result of the second session recorded on December 16, 1953. The first session had been taped two days earlier and is the subject of part of volume 2 which I will have the pleasure to present soon here along with the rest of the other sessions (6 in total).
The cover art included is a lousy one (the design, not the Jpeg). It's coming from a reissue made by Columbia in the 70s. I'm sorry I lost the original one.
Here it is for your (I hope) enjoyment.
http://rapidshare.com/files/101465368/BuckClaytonJamSessionVol1.rar
And I'll be much briefer for my next posts, that's a promise.
@ quinlan - Here are some of my popular postings from our past days at the main blog.
"Greek Cooking" Lp @320
by Phil Woods
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IJOI411R
"The Quintessence" 1961 Lp @320
by Quincy Jones
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7Z9O5HD8
"Black Smith" Lp @320
by Jimmy Smith
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KGD7JMF2
EnJoy!
@ quinlan
Way to go, pal!
Look forward to a lot more of your excellent choices.
@ Quinlan - Have you heard Hugo Montenegro's version of "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue"?
It's terrifffic! I'll drop it here soon as I can.
My favorite record so far from the Time Records series.
Hugo takes some old standards and really set's them on fire!
Terrific big band sound with a kick of bongo fever!
"Montenegro & Mayhem" 196-? Lp @320
by Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra
http://rapidshare.com/files/101816647/HM_MontenegroAndMayhem.zip
EnJoY!
Just to grease the wheels, here are some still active links.
"Paper Moon"
Various OST
http://rapidshare.com/files/101878116/VA_PaperMoonOST.zip
"Quincy Jones" Cd @320
by Q.J.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CDGSR7VS
"Little Mama" Lp @320
by Monk Higgins
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KTLKAJT0
"It Might As Well Be Swing" Lp@320
by Count Basie & Frank Sinatra
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QVGPFJEN
"Mort D'Un Pourri" Cd @320
By Philippe Sarde
Featuring Stan Getz
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NQGSK68W
"Previn at Sunset" Lp @320
by Andre Previn
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X7A7EVX0
"Stick It" Lp @320
by Buddy Rich
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D3KPORYY
EnJoY!
Just because it's such a fun record!
"Betty Hutton at the Saints & Sinners Ball"
http://rapidshare.com/files/98874290/JF_BettyHuttonAtTheSaintsAndSinnersBall.zip
Naughty Betty;)
@ isbum
Thank you for your essential contributions.
@ mel
Thank you for your encouragement words.
You know that you're more than welcome here. Speaking of Jazz, you're a master!
Here is my second post still dedicated to Buck Clayton's Jam Sessions recorded in the 50s for CBS.
As I mentioned earlier there were 6 recording sessions. The first one took place on December 14, 1953 where 2 tracks were recorded: "Moten Swing" & "Sentimental Journey". They are part of Volume 2 which is the subject of my today post along with 2 other tracks recorded during the third session on March 31, 1954, "How Hi The Fi" & "Blue Moon" featuring Woody Herman on clarinet as a special guest.
The front cover is the original one (the record was edited by Philips in Europe). It was in a terrible state and I hardly managed to somehow refurbish it . As for volume 1, there is no back cover because there was nothing of interest on them (just presentation of other records from the editing company).
Here is Buck Clayton's Jam Session - Volume 2 (2 parts in 1 folder):
http://rapidshare.com/users/RKQ3E0
Enjoy
@ quinlan
A request: Do you (or does anyone else) have the Capitol recording of The Benny Goodman Story (not the soundtrack but studio recordings released to compete with other versions). I have the LP but it's worn out.
@ mel
Sorry pal, I'm afraid I don't quite have what you're requesting.
However the only Benny Goodman Capitol recording I do have is a record he made towards the end of 1954 (the film was released in 1955).
It is "B.G. in Hi-Fi" comprising several songs which were also in the movie.
I remember this record from the little Capitol magazine I was receiving regularly but couldn't afford to buy it at the time it was released.
Years later Capitol reissued this record (in 1989) on CD with 20 tracks (some of them being previously unissued). I have this CD and uploaded it for you in case you don't have it. It's excellent and here it is with the complete artwork including the credits (2 parts in one folder):
http://rapidshare.com/users/DUAMLG
I would like also to remind you that sometimes ago, I posted at franklynot on Sallie's request two LPs released by Coral and entitled "The Benny Goodman Story - Volumes I & II".
I can't say that it was the original soundtrack, maybe...
Volume I says on its front cover "Music From the Original Soundtrack" where Volume II says "Music Recorded For The Soundtrack Of The Universal-International Film".
The links are still valid so just in case, here they are:
http://rapidshare.com/files/39939468/The_Benny_Goodman_Story_Volume_1_mp3.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/39945539/The_Benny_Goodman_Story_Volume_2_mp3.rar
For you information, I also have the complete Benny Goodman edited by Bluebird in eight volumes , each volume being a 2 record set (LPs). If you would like to have them, say the word.
Enjoy
All the Best
As indicated in my earlier posts related to Buck Clayton's Jam Sessions for Columbia between 1953 & 1956, there were 6 sessions which took place at the following dates:
December 14, 1953 / December 16, 1953 / March 31, 1954 / August 13, 1954 / March 15, 1955 & March 5, 1956.
Volumes 1 & 2 already posted were from material recorded during the first three sessions. There were then a couple of albums made from the sessions of December 16, 1953, August 13, 1954 and March 15, 1955.
These records were reissued by Columbia in 1974 on a 2 record set called "Swingin' Buck Clayton Jams Count Basie & Benny Goodman" which I am now presenting here in a 2 part folder with complete artwork.
http://rapidshare.com/users/AN428T
Enjoy
@ quinlan
Thanks for the BG in Hi Fi.
Yes, I remember you posting the two Coral LPs requested by Sallie and they are indeed the soundtrack recordings. At the time of the release of the movie all the record companies that had recorded Goodman in past years hopped on the bandwagon and issued LPs with the numbers used in the movie from their vaults. The Capitol issue was a new recording by Goodman and in my opinion was the best of the lot, even better than the recordings for the soundtrack. And the playing time was just short of an hour - very good value for those days. So I hope one day to get a good copy of it again.
Thanks also for the Claytons - great stuff.
I take it that the Bluebirds were all the Goodman recordings for RCA Victor and I may call on you to post them at a later stage, but i think both of us have enough on our plates right now.
Best wishes.
Hello Quinlan !
Came throught the next door...
I like this beatuiful jazz movie.
Variou Artists - Jazz on a Summer's Day (1959)
http://rapidshare.com/files/102911178/VA-JOASD.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/102912921/VA-JOASD.part2.rar
Thanks.
@ H2o - That's mighty neighborly of you!
Next time you drop by, we'll have Quinlan buy us lunch. ;)
Masterpieces of Twentieth Century
American Cinema
Chico Hamilton Quintet *
Elmer Bernstein
Jazz and Orchestral Themes
"Sweet Smell of Success" Cd @320
22 Tracks
In Two Parts
Part One
http://rapidshare.com/files/103236307/EB_SweetSmellOfSuccess_pt1.zip
Part Two
http://rapidshare.com/files/103240777/EB_SweetSmellOfSuccess_pt2.zip
EnJoY!
@ h2o and isbum
Thanks both of you for your contributions.
H2o, you don't need that to have a lunch on me. Consider that you have a rain check.It would be my pleasure.
But isbum, what would happen if by chance I drop by h2o very fine shop?
This post will complete the Buck Clayton's Jam Sessions recorded by this very fine trumpeter between 1953 and 1956.
After the albums posted earlier here, there was one more record released under the title "All The Cats Join In" comprising 5 tracks. One of them, "Lean Baby" had been recorded during the December 16, 1953 session and had not been released yet. 2 other tracks, "Out Of Nowhere" and "Blue Lou" were from the March 15, 1955 session and the remaining two, "All The Cats Join In" and "Don't You Miss Your Baby" were taped on March 5, 1956 which was the last session.
Here is this album unfortunately with no artwork:
http://rapidshare.com/files/103401915/BCAllTheCatsJoinIn.rar
Years later, in 1989, CBS released a CD entitled "Jam Sessions From The Vault" with these five tracks again, but from alternate takes plus an additional one "After Hours" (March 5, 1956) previously unreleased.
This is a self explanatory excerpt from the liner notes which are entirely reproduced in the attached artwork:
"The proof of the remarkable improvisational qualities of a Buck Clayton jam session is made abundantly clear in this collection, which contains solos that are very different from those on the original "All The Cats Join In" release."
Here is this album which is putting an end to these legendary sessions (2 files in 1 folder:
http://rapidshare.com/users/A0CP2A
Hope you enjoyed it.
G'day jazzers. Just sticking my head in the door to drop you guys a link posted in Rocket's shop. A twofer CD reissue, the first has Jack Webb's deadpan vocals, the second is light jazz instrumentals done by the same session players who did Pete Kelly's Blues...
Jack Webb "Just The Tracks, Ma'am", @192:
http://rapidshare.com/files/104672840/JW-JustTheTracks.zip
@ quinlan - I am not a serious jazz afficionado, but your passion shows through. You've got me seriously tempted to taste those jam sessions you have generously shared.
@ filmpac
Thank you buddy for that excellent contribution which goes straight to my heart.
Yo know, a while ago, when I was a recent visitor and contributor as well at YDHTVTB (hello Nomwl1!, you're not forgotten), I raised a request for the instrumental soundtrack of "Pete Kelly's Blues" (I had the vocal numbers by Peggy Lee and Ella Fitzgerald) and got right away two answers to my request which made me overwhelmed. Unless I'm wrong you were one of them. I really loved (and still do) this movie and its music which certainly contributed to a great extent to my "aficion" for jazz. By the way, I'm guilty not to remember the name of the other friend who also fulfilled my request. If you read these lines you certainly know who you are, so please forgive me. Your answer was equally very much appreciated.
And so is this Jack Webb's post which I all the more welcome because I did not know it.
There will be soon some more smooth and light jazz posts here which I hope will strengthen your taste for this music.
At the moment I'm busy to complete the March link list. That's why I did not post recently.
Thank you for your generosity.
All the Best
@ quinlan - It's a slow start here, what with so many jazz sites all over the place. We need to curry favor with folks who like to chat as well as share.
Those kind of people are out there, and like you, they would enjoy sharing the history of their favorite jazz players with others.
Don't become discouraged my friend.
Like the other "shops", people will eventually arrive who have stories to tell along with music they wish to share.
Just want to tip you guys to "Pulp Fusion", a great set of '70s US Funk/Jazz, at the Let's Go Get It! blog (@192). Herbie Hancock, Blackbyrds, Kool and the Gang, Mandrill, etc. An instant jukebox of the genre.
Volume 1 (scroll to the bottom for this one)
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Note that associated tracklists are listed in alphabetical order. Sort by track # for correct order. Otherwise fine.
At last, some novelties...
Well, in terms of post because what I am presenting today dates back to the fifties.
At that time Ray Anthony was leading a very popular dance band rather commercially oriented.
Nonetheless if you listen to what he was doing you'll remark that jazz was never far from the music he was recording by his own style, derived from Harry James' style (he had played for Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey before having his own band), the choice of the songs and of the members of his orchestra counting among the best jazz players such as Conrad Gozzo, the Candoli brothers, Skeet Herfurt, Plas Johnson, Med Flory, Georgie Auld, Dick Nash or Alvin Stoller among others.
There was always a swinging side in his performances...
Here are 7 LPs recorded during the 50s, all of them ripped @ 320 with complete artwork:
"Ray Anthony Plays For Dream Dancing"
http://rapidshare.com/files/106184606/RayAnthonyPlaysForDreamDancing_mp3.rar
"More Dream Dancing"
http://rapidshare.com/files/106172817/RayAnthonyMoreDreamDancing_mp3.rar
Ray Anthony Plays For Dancers In Love"
http://rapidshare.com/files/106177100/RayAnthonyPlaysForDancersInLove_mp3.rar
"Ray Anthony Plays Steve Allen"
http://rapidshare.com/files/106168389/RayAnthonyPlaysSteveAllen_mp3.rar
"Swingin' On Campus"
http://rapidshare.com/files/106164663/RayAnthonySwinginOnCampus_mp3.rar
"I Remember Glenn Miller"
http://rapidshare.com/files/106160285/Ray_AnthonyIRememberGlennMiller_mp3.rar
"Houseparty Hop"
http://rapidshare.com/files/106156075/RayAnthonyHousepartyHopmp3.rar
More to come soon.
Enjoy
Thanks to you and Mel, quinlan, I have taken interest in collecting recordings by Andre Previn.
Here are 10 Lp's that cover his career from the beginning to the present.
Because I could not find a proper discography these are in a random order.
The Andre Previn Collected Works
"Andre Previn & J.J. Johnson Play Kurt Weill" 1961
http://rapidshare.com/files/107348356/APandJJ_PlayKurtWeill.zip
"Like Blue" '60's
http://rapidshare.com/files/107342294/APandDR_LIKE_BLUE.zip
"Andre Previn Plays Young Hollywood Composers" '60's
http://rapidshare.com/files/107331281/AP_YoungHollywoodComposers.zip
"Starlight Piano" '60's
http://rapidshare.com/files/107327540/AP_StarlightPiano.zip
"Previn In Hollywood" '60's
http://rapidshare.com/files/107319496/AP_PrevinInHollywood.zip
"Previn At Sunset" early recordings
http://rapidshare.com/files/107315569/AP_Previn_at_Sunset.zip
"Misty" '60's
http://rapidshare.com/files/107230671/AP_Misty.zip
"Pure Gold"
http://rapidshare.com/files/107323898/AP_PureGold.zip
"A Different Kind of Blues" '70's
http://rapidshare.com/files/107220434/AP_DifferentKindOfBlues.zip
"It's a Breeze" '70's
http://rapidshare.com/files/107201316/AP__It_s_a_Breeze.zip
I hope some of you enjoy these as much as I have. :)
Here's a bunch more of my jazz records for your store Quinlan.
"Early Erroll"
By Erroll Gardner
http://rapidshare.com/files/107573992/EG_EarlyErroll.zip
"Breakfast at Tiffanys" Lp @320
by Eddie Harris
http://rapidshare.com/files/107578542/EH_BreakfastAtTiffanys.zip
"Dizzy and Bird" Lp @320
by Elek Bacsik
http://rapidshare.com/files/107587749/Elek_Bacsik__Bird_and_Dizzy.zip
"Green is Beautiful" Cd @320
http://rapidshare.com/files/107596871/GG_Greenisbeautiful.zip
"Soft Soul" Lp @320
by Gordon Jenkins
http://rapidshare.com/files/107601544/GJ_SoftSoul.zip
"Suspense in Jazz" Lp @320
by Kai Winding
http://rapidshare.com/files/107610455/KW_SuspenseInJazz.zip
"Concert at Carmelo's" Lp @320
by Shelly Manne
http://rapidshare.com/files/107618680/SM_ConcertAtCarmelos.zip
EnjOy!!
@ quinlan - A few more for the bins today.
"Greek Cooking" Lp @320
by Phil Woods & friends
http://rapidshare.com/files/107783711/PW_Greek_Cooking.zip
"It Might As Well Be Swing!" Lp @320
by Frank Sinatra & Count Basie
http://rapidshare.com/files/107800799/SBJ_It_Might_as_Well_Be_Swing.zip
"Manne That's Gershwin!" Lp @320
by Shelly Manne & friends
http://rapidshare.com/files/107811493/SM_ManneThatsGershwin.zip
"Big Band Sound" Lp @320
by Sid Ramin & Orchestra
http://rapidshare.com/files/107838867/SR_BigBandSound.zip
"The Electrifying Eddie Harris"
Lp @320
by Eddie Harris
http://rapidshare.com/files/107846640/The_Electrifying_Eddie_Harris.zip
EnJoY!
I find it rather difficult to come up with something to share here, but I'm gonna have a go with this. Hopefully, you all don't already have it. This predates the animated movie of the late 1970s, and the newer Peter Jackson films. Not a soundtrack, but an ambitious project for its time, by Australia's very own...
John Sangster "Lord Of The Rings" (1974), @192:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QJW4H1BG
Also, I shared this for the very first Franklynot project, and the link is still good. Highly recommended if you don't have...
Sonny Rollins "Alfie" soundtrack (1966), @192:
http://rapidshare.com/files/53441049/SR-Alfie.zip
@ quinlan & isbum - Thank you sirs. I might not stick my nose in too often, but it's a great pleasure when I do. Cheers.
Hi guys – remember all those fabulous Peter Nero LPs I shared with you some time ago? Well, here’s one that I didn’t have – New Piano In Town. You can download it from this great blog:
http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/
@ filmpac
Please feel home here!
It's whenever you want, Sir.
It will always be a pleasure and an honor to have your visits and contributions.
@ mel
Thank you for the tip concerning Peter Nero. You can imagine that I already downloaded it. It was part of my three daily downloads two days ago at this fantastic blog.
And thank you again for all the Peter Neros you previously shared. They were more than welcome.
Thanks to the folks who shared these!
"African Waltz"
by Cannonball Adderly
http://rapidshare.com/files/109142059/CA_AfricanWaltz.zip
2 by Chic Corea
"No Mystery"
by Chic Corea
http://rapidshare.com/files/109148496/CC_NoMystery.zip
"Return To Forever"
by Chic Corea
http://rapidshare.com/files/109155151/CC_ReturnToForever.zip
EnJoY!
Here's a four play of Jimmy Smith and his amazing organ!
"Monster" Lp @320
by Jimmy Smith
http://rapidshare.com/files/109449524/JS_MONSTER.zip
"Got My Mojo Workin'" Lp @320
by Jimmy Smith
http://rapidshare.com/files/109443414/JS_Got_My_Mojo_Workin_.zip
"Black Smith" Lp @320
by Jimmy Smith
http://rapidshare.com/files/109430316/JS_Black_Smith.zip
"Off the Top" Lp @320
by Jimmy Smith
http://rapidshare.com/files/109424319/JS__Off_the_Top.zip
ENJOY!
Thanks to the original uploader for this great record!
"The New Continent"
by Dizzy Gillespie
http://rapidshare.com/files/109406255/DG_TheNewContinent.zip
enjoy!
A couple of other Ray Anthonys.
Ray Anthony is jamming and swinging in "Jam Session At The Tower". This was recorded in 1956 at the Capitol Tower with great musicians such as saxophonists Med Flory, Georgie Auld and Ray's own brother Leo Anthony who can be heard on baritone sax in "Night Train"; trumpetists Ray Anthony himself and Conrad Gozzo; trombonists Dick Nash and Ray Sims; pianist Paul Smith and drummer Alvin Stoller plus a lot of others.
Listen to standards like "Flyin' Home", "Night Train", "How High The Moon", "Perdido" & "One O'Clock Jump" and Ray's original composition "Swingin' At The Tower" in a jam session way here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/109322723/RASwinginAtTheTower_mp3.rar
The following one was recorded in 1953 and released on an 8 track 10' LP called "The Young Man With The Horn. Excellent lounge jazz with standards like "Tenderly", "Stardust" and a somptuous interpretation of "Harlem Nocturne".
Here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/109822981/RATheYoungManWithTheHorn_mp3.rar
Both rips were from LP @ 320 + complete HR artwork.
Enjoy
Found treasure at
http://orgyinrhythm.blogspot.com/
"Impressions of Cleopatra"
by Paul Horn
from score by Alex North
http://rapidshare.com/files/111584753/PH_ImpressionsOfCleopatra.zip
Enjoy!
a jazzy version of ...
Little Lulu
by Bill Evans
http://rapidshare.com/files/112559478/01_Little_Lulu.mp3
from the album:
Further Conversations with Myself
and for three more alternative versions...
http://flaclossless.blogspot.com/2008/02/bill-evans-trio-64-1964.html
@ Quinlan - Here it is!
"Conga Soul" 1962 Lp @320
by Candido & Lalo Schifrin
http://rapidshare.com/files/112826727/LSwithCandido_CongaSoul.zip
EnJoY!
"Bolling Plays Ellington" Lp @320
by Claude Bolling
http://rapidshare.com/files/112876415/CB_BollingPlaysEllington.zip
Enjoy!
@Isbum many thanks for the heads up , sorry havn't been a visitor for some time :(
to make amends here are a few links (all my uploads)
Walt Dickerson ~ Sense of Direction
http://rapidshare.com/files/51597182/WD_SOD_Reza.zip.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/7478873/polish_jazz_urbaniak.zip.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/7479276/zbigniew_namyslowski_quartet.zip.html
Mombasa - African Rhythms & Blues
http://rapidshare.com/files/72315602/mombasa.zip
Steve Reid ~ Nova
http://rapidshare.com/files/34816575/STRENOVA.zip.html
Lalo Schifrin - New Fantasy
http://rapidshare.com/files/30057301/New_Fantasy_lalo.zip.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/30017490/_1974__Monium_J_STEIG.zip.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/73307650/Mike_Taylor_Remembered.zip.html
Change of Scenes ~ Kenny Clarke Francy Boland
http://rapidshare.com/files/39024022/COS_Reza.zip.html
Dorothy Asby ~ Dorothy's Harp
http://rapidshare.com/files/76969912/Dorothys_Harp.zip.html
Phil Moore ~ Afro Brazil
http://rapidshare.com/files/96159164/PM_Afro_Brazil_OBA.zip.html
Chico Hamilton Man From Two Worlds
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1KP0SY1X
@ reza
It's both an honor and a pleasure to see you here.
Thanks to you the shop is better stocked and it will allow more visitors to come and find what they wish.
Thank you very much for your contribution.
@quinlan too much flattery :)
whilst here another just upped
The Horace Tapscott Quintet ~ The Giant is Awakened 1969
http://www.mediafire.com/?htxjloxdogw
Forgot, for anyone who wants any of the BLACK JAZZ series this should keep you busy, I haven't put titles up where the download title is obvious
Roland Haynes Second Wave
http://www.mediafire.com/jgzynstmjnn
http://rapidshare.com/files/7604044/Awakening_Hear__Sense_And_Feel.zip.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/75075501/calvin_keys_-_shawn-neeq_lp_.zip
Walter Bishop's Keeper of My Soul
http://rapidshare.com/files/98216513/WB-KS-1973.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/52855790/Doug_Carn_-_Adam_s_Apple__reza.zip.html
Doug Carn Revelation
http://www.mediafire.com/?fvmms4nn9zi
Calvin Keys "Proceed With Caution"
http://rapidshare.com/files/89624464/Calvin.zip.html
Rudolph Johnson, Spring Rain
http://www.mediafire.com/?2u4mmimgv11
and
http://www.mediafire.com/?amm9dhjh1j6
Gene Russell, New Direction
http://www.mediafire.com/?bmjjftl0uz3
Kellee Patterson, Maiden Voyage
http://rapidshare.com/files/100082138/KP-MV-BJ-1973.rar.html
@ reza - What marvelous music!
Thank you for being so kind and generous with us all here at Quinlan's Jazz Speakeasy!
A while back now, I asked if anyone had a longer version of the theme from the TV show "Two And A Half Men", starring Charlie Sheen. Well, it turns out the theme music was written by a feller called Grant Geissman, and the full version exists on his album Say That.
An online friend kindly found it and shared it with me via Megaupload. His link is still active, so I thought I'd share it with you cats too, this album is a fine slice of instrumental jazz...
Grant Geissman "Say That" (2006), @320:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FJ24YKM7
Thanks to the unknown original ripper, and my pal who shared it with me. Comes with a hearty filmpac recommendation, grab it quick!
Hi there - I don't know if there is any interest in this speakeasy for some rough and ready Chicago style jazz, but if so I've posted some sides that Art Hodes and companions made for Blue Note in the 40s. It's available for any traditionalists in the audience over at:
http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/
Seems to be great stuff here, although I am at a loss to figure out what kind of styles these scores represent. Would you be so kind and give a few remarks about the type of music that you post here?
@mr.t
Back in June 2007 you posted Lone Wolf and Cub TV Series Score by Takashi Watanabe. I would love to have the information necessary to tag the tracks in English. Can you help?
Sorry, took the wrong door ... 8.{
@ Quinlan - You may have this wondrous record already, but here it is newly ripped at a high bit rate!
Henry Mancini Presents
Artie Kane
Playing the Swinging Screen Scene
1972 Lp @320
http://rapidshare.com/files/114675933/AK_TheSwingingScreenScene.zip
Watch out for Ray Brown on Bass
& Shelly Manne on Drums!
These two have an interplay that all but steals the spotlight!
Voices of The Swingers 5
EnJoY!
@ Carrasco - How'd you get past the doorman? ;)
「奇妙な仲間 おいろけ道中」
@ carrasco - Oh yea, the doorman speaks Japanese. I forgot about that.
Here's something I have no idea which shop it belongs in.
"Panorama" 1950's Lp @320
Charles Magnante,
the World's Greatest Accordionist
& His All-Star Orchestra
Featuring Tony Mottola, Bob Haggart, Dick Hyman, Jack Lesberg, Al Caiola, and Terry Snyder.
http://rapidshare.com/files/114779789/CM_Panorama.zip
EnJoY!
@ isbum
Perhaps you should think about opening a new shop which would specialize in light orchestral and instrumental stuff such as the Charles Magnante, Percy Faith, Carmen Cavallaro etc. But if you eventually do, please don't call it "lounge" - I hate that term and I consider it an insult to the music.
Hello all,
I have the first LP by the great and underappreciated jazz singer Jackie Paris on my blog:
http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/
Highly recommended!
Bily Parkers Fourth World - Freedom of Speech
http://rapidshare.com/files/115171209/BPFW_Freedom_of_Speech.zip.html
@ reza - Thanks my friend!
@ Mel - I need to address your question regarding a shop for, shall we agree upon easy listening?
Like Jazz, we find ourselves in serious competition with so many other fine and fantastic blogs that I feel we'll go virtually unnoticed.
I will share what records I feel have a cross-over appeal to fans of jazz or soundtrack connections here and at several outside blogs run by friends of ours.
For the moment, I haven't shared much outside here with the exception of
http://loungelegends.blogspot.com/
I am happy to see these records find an audience anywhere, but have taken a "shine" to this fellows style and blog content.
I hope in time, the circle of sharing will grow to be of benefit to all of us here as well as the fans of other sites.
I hope you agree with my point of view Mel.
@ isbum
Regarding the 'Easy Listening", I'm sending you an e-mail.
@ quinlan, scoredaddy and all other Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond fans
A Brubeck holy grail has at last been found. Jazz Goes To Junior College (1957), one of the best Brubeck/Desmond LPs, has inexplicably never been reissued on CD.
You can get it here, in flac format:
http://thejazzman4133.blogspot.com/
Trust me, guys, this one is not to be missed!
@ Quinlan, may i share this jazz score by Carla Bley here ?
Mortelle Randonne (LP)-great!
http://rapidshare.com/files/48766909/Carla_Bley_Mortelle_Randonnee.rar
11 Tracks @320!
Incl. covers!
Also, this new blog dedicated to Jazz music
http://my.opera.com/megantic/blog/
Herbie Hancock 2 Cd set includes:
Disc 1:
1. Maulana
2. Baraka/Kamli
3. Kawanda
4. Dunia
5. Not Listed
Disc 2:
1. Witch Fire
2. Jammin' With Herbie
3. Herbie's Blues
4. Rock Your Soul
5. Hot Piano
6. Smoochie
7. Live And Awake
8. Night Walker
9. Afro Boogie
10. Far Out
11. Hot And Heavy
"Jazz to Funk" 2006 Cd @320
by Herbie Hancock
In 3 Parts
http://rapidshare.com/files/121284278/HH_JazzToFunk_Cd1.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/121292682/HH_JazzToFunk_Cd2_part1.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/121296399/HH_JazzToFunk_Cd2_part2.zip
EnJoY!
For another chance, a bunch of previously posted links:
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers featuring Barney Wilen
Les Liaisons Dangereuses OST
http://rapidshare.com/users/DTL9I7
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/68420129/Jazz_In_Paris_Jazz___Cinema_vol._1_mp3.rar
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 2
http://rapidshare.com/users/YL8EUL
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 3
http://rapidshare.com/files/67195997/Jazz_In_Paris_Jazz___Cinema_Vol_3_mp3.rar
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 4
http://rapidshare.com/users/HE02VU
Jazz In Paris: Jazz And Cinema_Volume 5
http://rapidshare.com/users/HN4PCO
Legrand Jazz
Michel Legrand
http://rapidshare.com/users/L01LH1
Pete Rugolo
Behind Brigitte Bardot
http://rapidshare.com/files/72093116/Pete_Rugolo_Behind_Brigitte_Bardot_mp3.rar
Maynard Ferguson
New Vintage
http://rapidshare.com/files/61404278/MaynardFerguson_NewVintage_mp3.rar
Jackie Gleason
Riff Jazz
http://rapidshare.com/files/55395685/Jackie_Gleason_Riff_Jazz.rar
Frankie Laine & Buck Clayton
Jazz Spectacular
http://rapidshare.com/users/9PJDON
Jimmy Smith
The Big Brawl
http://rapidshare.com/users/QVQ34C
Ella Fitzgerald & Count Basie
Ella & Basie_Part 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/44980082/Ella___Basie_Part_1.rar
Ella & Basie_Part 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/44982770/Ella___Basie_Part_2.rar
Count Basie & Tony Bennett
Count Basie Featuring Tony Bennett_Part 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/44957857/Count_Basie_Featuring_Tony_Bennett_Part_1.rar
Count Basie Featuring Tony Bennett_Part 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/44960442/Count_Basie_Featuring_Tony_Bennett_Part_2.rar
Glenn Miller
Glenn Miller Story
http://rapidshare.com/users/IFR9R
Chuck Mangione
Land Of Make Believe
http://rapidshare.com/files/37613820/Chuck_Mangione_Land_Of_Make_Believe_mp3.rar
Buddy Rich
Time Being
http://rapidshare.com/users/272DE2
Red Nichols & Danny Kaye
The Five Pennies
http://rapidshare.com/files/31723557/The_Five_Pennies_mp3.rar
Andre Previn
The Subterraneans
http://rapidshare.com/files/31508587/Andre_Previn_The_Subterraneans_mp3.rar
Oscar Peterson
Jazz Spectrum_Volume III
http://rapidshare.com/files/31339686/Oscar_Peterson_Jazz_Spectrum_Vol_III_mp3.rar
Oscar Peterson
Motions & Emotions
http://rapidshare.com/files/31317292/Oscar_Peterson_Motions___Emotions_mp3.rar
Oscar Peterson
Jousts-Oscar Peterson & The Trumpet Kings_Part 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/31320292/Jousts_Oscar_Peterson_And_The_Trumpet_Kings_Part_1.rar
Jousts-Oscar Peterson & The Trumpet Kings_Part 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/31325792/Jousts_Oscar_Peterson_And_The_Trumpet_Kings_Part_2.rar
Quincy Jones
Soul Flower
http://rapidshare.com/users/65ENK0
Phil Woods & Michel Legrand
Images
http://rapidshare.com/users/5R9RII
Count Basie
Basie's Beatle Bag
http://rapidshare.com/files/27919558/Basie_s_Beatle_Bag_mp3.rar
Count Basie
Basie Meets Bond
http://rapidshare.com/files/27911103/Basie_Meets_Bond_mp3.rar
Lalo Schifrin
Tin Tin Deo_Part 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/26829511/Lalo_Schifrin_Tin_Tin_Deo_Part_1.rar
Tin Tin Deo_Part 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/26831626/Lalo_Schifrin_Tin_Tin_Deo_Part_2.rar
Lalo Schifrin
Talkin' Verve
http://rapidshare.com/users/OXM4I7
Quincy Jones
Smackwater Jack
http://rapidshare.com/users/VRM6ZN
Elmer Bernstein - Shelly Manne
The Man With The Golden Arm (OST)
http://rapidshare.com/users/6M4ZLW
Dave Brubeck & Gerry Mulligan
We're All Together Again For The First Time
http://rapidshare.com/users/41TNSZ
Wes Montgomery
Down Here On The Ground
http://rapidshare.com/files/21073374/Down_Here_On_The_Ground_mp3.rar
Wes Montgomery
Road Song
http://rapidshare.com/files/21075595/Road_Song_mp3.rar
Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery
The Dynamic Duo
http://rapidshare.com/files/20705846/Jimmy_And_Wes-The_Dynamic_Duo_mp3.rar
Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery
Further Adventures Of Jimmy & Wes
http://rapidshare.com/files/20712437/Further_Adventures_Of_Jimmy_And_Wes_mp3.rar
Chuck Mangione
Children Of Sanchez
http://rapidshare.com/users/2PA0WS
Paul Desmond & Gerry Mulligan
Two Of A Mind
http://rapidshare.com/files/18319140/Two_Of_A_Mind_mp3.rar
Paul Desmond
Desmond Blue
http://rapidshare.com/users/DV7JGR
Quincy Jones
You've Got It Bad Girl
http://rapidshare.com/users/OLK7OX
Michel Legrand
The Concert Legrand
http://rapidshare.com/files/13878860/The_Concert_Legrand_mp3.rar
Michel Legrand
At Shelly Manne's Hole
http://rapidshare.com/users/HO2MSD
Enjoy
Woh!!!! Impressive! BTW,you should call this "The Cool Jazz Speakeasy Room" lol! Anyway,my contribution to your great efforts;something that fans of cool jazz would enjoy to my opinion; here we go: "HERB ELLIS MEETS JIMMY GIUFFRE" Verve Elite Edition cd,long oop, my cd rip @320kbps..Great record,Enjoy!!! Here's the link : http://rapidshare.com/files/121661116/Hellis.rar
Oh, and while we're talking about jazz and soundtracks, anyone has "The Liquidator" score by Schifrin or Ed Thigpen's "Out Of The Storm" (Verve elite edition) cds? Thanks very much in advance..Last but not least, do you people dig Johnny Smith? I could upload a couple of records if someone wants!
@ ghostrider
Thank you for the Herb Ellis/Jimmy Giuffre very much appreciated.
By all means, if you're willing to share Johnny Smith's albums, please do so. You don't need to ask.
And this is valid for any other jazz album.
Here is a link to Lalo Schifrin's "The Liquidator" @ 320.
Not my rip so thanks to the original uploader whoever he may be.
http://rapidshare.com/files/121715144/LaloSchifrinThe_Liquidator.rar
This not really a jazz album, it's an OST but Lalo has done so much for jazz music that he deserves to be here anyway.
Enjoy
@ ghostrider
One little thing I forgot to ask in my previous comment.
If you have a scanner, I would very much appreciate to have a scan of the complete Herb Ellis/Jimmy Giuffre artwork (front, inside, back, tray) if it's not too much to ask.
Thanks a lot for your co-operation.
Cheers
A shop link list is now available in the space where the usual Original Incredible Filmscorium monthly list is hosted.
The new list is up to date as of June 11, 2008 approximately middle of the day, depending where you're residing.
As you will see each shop has its own sheet build up the same way as the monthly list.
For some shops, such as "Golden Age Of Hollywood" or "Classical Music Hall", instead of one column for the artist, I have included one column for the composer(s) and another one for the performer(s) when one or the other information was available. This is increasing the research possibilities.
Otherwise, please refer to the main sheet explanation; it works the same way.
From now on the shop link list will be regularly updated and published on a monthly basis at the same time as the usual Filmscorium list. So you will be able to download both lists from the same space (click on "Quinlan's Monthly Excel Archive Spreadsheet".
If you discover an error or something wrong in the new list, please don't hesitate to comment.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thank you very much for your attention.
Ace 7 is a unit group by Japanese skillful players.
Leader Hachidai Nakamura has also known as composer of "Sukiyaki Song".
Here is their best compilation that is mixture of standards, Nakamura's originals and French cinema.
Ace 7 - Must Collection (1969-1970)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GN2XQATA
Quinlan, hope you dig it.
@ All - Our May compilation,
"Franklynot Goes Bananas!"
VA - Volume 7
is available on our Main Page now!
Thanks for your kind comments over at my place and the link to your place. I grabbed Vol. 2 & 3 of Buck Clayton and I thank you. I had the others. Best of luck.
@Quinlan:
Sorry I Took sooooooo long to reply, but i've been quite busy;Of course i can scan the covers, but it will take some time since my scanner has been sent for repair;when i'll get it back,i'll do full scans of the Herb Ellis..
I'll also upload the johnny Smith this week..without covers i'm afraid,until my scanner is fixed..
Oh!!!!!!!!! Not To Forget!!!!!!!! Thanks for the Liquidator!!!I'll try and buy the cd if i locate it somewhere! Awesome music! Lalo never fails to impress me!
@ ghostrider
Thanks for kind attention.
No hurry at all!
Just take your time.
I'll be happy when you post the Jpegs.
Thank you again
I frequently endeavor to explore film composer's other works, outside of the constraints of the picture's plotting. Recently stumbled over this, and decided it fits the smokey atmosphere of the Speakeasy...
Teo Macero "With The Prestige Jazz Quartet" (1957), @320:
http://rapidshare.com/files/125538170/TM-PrestigeJazzQuartet.zip
This CD reissue features tenor saxophonist Teo Macero (who would later become much better known as a record producer) in as straight-ahead a setting as he ever appeared. With stimulating support from pianist Mal Waldron, vibraphonist Teddy Charles, bassist Addison Farmer, and drummer Jerry Segal, Macero performs a variety of then-recent ballads, of which only "Star Eyes" (arranged by Hall Overton) did not come from Teo or his associates. The music is advanced but from the jazz tradition, and overall this set is more noteworthy for Macero's interesting playing than for the tunes themselves. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide
Thanks to the original unknown ripper.
Here is an album which could also be posted in "Filmscorium" since it's an original motion picture soundtrack.
I'm speaking of Clint Eastwood's "Bird", the Charlie Parker dark and moving biographical picture.
As usual for this kind of film, the CD comprises only the musical numbers not the underscore written here by Lennie Niehaus.
What has to be noted is the magnificent work accomplished by both the technicians and the musicians.
Genuine Charlie Parker's solos were isolated from their original recordings, cleaned up and then matched with accompaniment by contemporary musicians such as pianists Monty Alexander, Barry Harris and Walter Davis Jr., bassists Ray Brown and Ron Carter, drummer John Guerin and trumpetist Jon Faddis.
This won the film the Best Sound Academy Award.
It's higly recommendable to read the liner notes written by the famous jazz critic Leonard Feather who incidently was also a fine pianist and composer.
The rip from CD is @ 320 and includes the complete artwork:
http://rapidshare.com/files/126447633/CharlieParkerBirdOST_mp3.rar
Enjoy
Quite a few people visiting regularly this blog have already shown their interest for Quincy Jones who wrote successful movie scores.
Quincy is also a fine jazzmen (he used to play trumpet) and he got fame with his tremendous ability to gather first class musicians and make arrangements where the artists could express the best of themselves.
Here is an early 9 tracks album recorded in 1957 where 3 tracks were dedicated to alto sax players (Benny Carter, Art Pepper, Herb Geller & Charlie Mariano), 3 other tracks were for tenor saxophonists (Buddy Collete, Bill Perkins & Walter Benton plus Pepper Adams on baritone sax) and the 3 remaining tracks were devoted to trumpeters (Harry Edison, Conte & Pete Candoli and Jack Sheldon). Each time with a rhythm section including Carl Perkins or Lou Levy on piano, Red Mitchell or Leroy Vinnegar on bass and Shelly Manne or Mel Lewis on drums!
Didn't I speak of first class musicians?
All or most of them were coming from the West Coast hence the title of the album: "Go West, Man"
Here it is ripped from CD @ 320 with complete artwork for your listening pleasure:
http://rapidshare.com/files/126608463/QuincyJonesGoWestMan_mp3.rar
Enjoy
I got pretty excited when Ghostrider offered some Johnny Smith albums. I'm hoping he or maybe someone else has the 1967 Verve album 8692 called simply Johnny Smith. The CD was reissued for a short time as Verve 314 537 752-2 . It is almost impossible to find and prohibitively expensive if you do. I'd sure be obliged to anyone who could point me in the right direction as this recording is one of my all time favorites.
Thanks for a super nice place to visit.
@ filmpac
If I badly failed to thank you for the Teo Macero, I didn't fail to download it and appreciate it.
Again forgive me for being so impolite. You know that every thing you post catch my attention.
Belated and hearty thanks for your permanent support.
"Suspense Themes in Jazz"
by Kai Winding
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MET3HRAG
a terrific record!
@ isbum
And a terrific share!
Thank you for this excellent Kai Winding
Steve Allen was a multi talented gentleman who got fame as a television showman, an author, a composer, a lyricist, a comedian and although it's reported that he just took three years of piano lessons at the age of 7, he was also a pianist playing better than reasonably well, with an inborn sense of swing. He recorded a number of albums and here is one of the latest taped in 1993 with a very fine combo.
I advise you to listen to it, you won't be disappointed.
"Steve Allen Plays Jazz Tonight" @ 320 from CD in 2 parts with complete HR artwork:
http://rapidshare.com/files/127048361/SteveAllenPlaysJazzTonight_Part1.ra
http://rapidshare.com/files/127052871/SteveAllenPlaysJazzTonight_Part2.rar
Enjoy
Hi there,
I think I remember the name Johnny Smith being raised in these parts a while back. Some of you may be interested to know that the Big 10-Inch Record has that guitarist's first LP and five-eighths of his second (long story) on display. Stan Getz is the tenor on most of the cuts. Great covers, too, by Burt Goldblatt.
We also have an LP by one-time Duke Ellington vocalist Herb Jeffries. This one is rare, I think.
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had the 4-CD box set of Cleo Laine & John Dankworth, I HEAR MUSIC. Also looking for the 2-CD of Cleo's greatest hits. Many thanks, Jim
@ buster
Thank you for letting us know the new posts on your very fine and appreciated blog.
Your tips here and in the other shops as well will always be most welcome.
Here is a link to a Duke Ellington album recorded in 1951/52 "Ellington Uptown".
It contains some Ellington's standards such as "The Mooche", "Perdido" and an interesting version of "Take The A Train" with vocals by Betty Roche. There are also two "Suites" - this is an exercise he was very fond of - composed by Duke himself, "A Tone Parallel To Harlem (The Harlem Suite)" and "The Controversial Suite".
Above all I wanted to present this album for the last track "Skin Deep", giving drummer Louis Bellson the opportunity to demonstrate his extraordinary skill in playing his instrument. As far as I am concerned "Skin Deep" remains the mother (or the father, or both parents) of all drum solos ever. But this is just a personal and subjective opinion. I'm speaking of this version of "Skin Deep" performed by the great Louis Bellson. I have another version recorded live at the Juan-Les-Pins Jazz Festival by Duke and his orchestra with Sam Woodyard on drums. That's where at the end of the drum solo, Duke Ellington said to the audience: "Sam Woodyard wants you to know that a drum is a woman"...
But I do think that the Louis Bellson version is better!
By the way does anyone know how the drummer does when towards the middle of the number he starts beating a drum at a constantly accelerating speed while playing on other drums or cymbals at the same time.
You could believe he has four hands.
This is not a question (I know the answer - I saw him performing), it's a quiz.
One thing has to be noted: the original LP was containing only five tracks. It's been reissued on CD with two additional "bonus" tracks represented by the two parts of "The Controversial Suite" which therefore were not in the original LP.
This rip is from the CD @ 320 with complete artwork and for the completists I have also included JPegs of the front and back covers of the LP.
http://rapidshare.com/files/128765431/EllingtonUptown_mp3.rar
Enjoy
Incidentally it's good to note that now on, rapidshare allows maximum upload size up to 200 Mb as opposed to 100 Mb previously.
@ Quinlan,
Thanks for the kind words. I am always struck by the warm atmosphere here at Franklynot!
Well, before I get all sentimental and start crying in the Speakeasy's beer, let me switch subjects and genres, as we like to do over at the Big 10-Inch Record, and mention our latest item, which is another disk by the wonderful pianist Noel Mewton-Wood.
Hope I won't be thrown out through the swinging doors for touting the classics!
Oops, forgot the most important Cleo Laine that I'm looking for: RIDIN' HIGH: The British Sessions 1960-1971. Hopefully some kind soul has this one. Many thanks.
Ohhhh, stop it Buster! Your one of the most charming chaps we have here!
If you like Gypsy Jazz, this one is highly recommanded.
If you don't know what it is, try it out, you won't be disappointed.
Here is the Rosenberg Trio, featuring Stochelo Rosenberg on lead guitar playing with an unbelievable dexterity, Nous'che Rosenberg on rhythm guitar and Nonnie Rosenberg on bass.
This album was recorded live at the Samois (France) Festival in June 2003.
Samois is a little village by the river Seine outside Paris where Django Reinhardt settled and ultimately passed away at the age of 43 in 1953.
Since 1968 there is a Festival in Samois dedicated to Gypsy Jazz.
http://rapidshare.com/files/129523642/RosenbergTrioLiveInSamois_mp3.rar
Enjoy
For your (I hope) listening pleasure, another trio Rosenberg album recorded in 1994 with guest stars including the great Stephane Grappelli.
It's called simply "Caravan" and obviously includes this title from the famous Duke Ellington composition.
Ripped from CD @ 320 with complete HR artwork.
http://rapidshare.com/files/129628587/RosenbergTrioCaravan_mp3.rar
Enjoy
This is a post I just made in "European Cinema" shop.
Since most of the music is very jazzy, I'm putting it here too.
The late Andre Hossein was Robert Hossein's father. He was a composer who wrote music scores for the films of his son and other movie directors as well.
In 1958, Robert Hossein was 31 years old and directed his third movie, "Toi Le Venin" aka "Blonde In A White Car", after "Les Salauds Vont En Enfer" ("The Wicked Go To Hell") and "Pardonnez Nos Offenses", and for the third time he called his father for the score. The music of the first two movies had not been really noticed but the score of "Toi Le Venin" became a huge hit and made the fame of its composer. It was immediately released on a 45 EP and I was one of the numerous teenagers to buy it to play it in parties.
Many moons later I bought a CD dedicated to the film music of Andre Hossein which I'd like to share here.
It contains tracks from the following movies:
"Toi Le Venin" (Blonde In A White Car - Robert Hossein - 1958), "Les Menteurs" (The Liars - Edmond T. Greville - 1961), "Les Scelerats" (The Wretches - Robert Hossein - 1959), "Une Gueule Comme La Mienne" (Rendezvous - Frederic Dard - 1960), "La Menace" (The Menace - Gerard Oury - 1961), "Le Jeu De La Verite" (The Game Of Truth - Robert Hossein - 1961), "La Loi Des Hommes" (Law Of Men - Charles Gerard - 1962), "Le Gout De La Violence" (The Taste Of Violence - Robert Hossein - 1961), "Le Vampire De Dusseldorf" (The Secret Killer - Robert Hossein - 1965), "L'Homme Qui Trahit La Mafia" (The Man Who Betrayed The Mafia - Charles Gerard - 1967), "Une Corde, Un Colt" (The Rope And The Colt - Robert Hossein - 1969).
"Toi Le Venin" comprises three tracks on this CD where there were five tracks on the EP. So, as bonus tracks I have added the two tracks of the EP which are not on the CD, one of them being the end title ("Blues A La Nuit"), a shorter version of the main theme.
You'll find the complete artwork included a 16 pages booklet with comprehensive liner notes written by Robert Hossein himself. I have added the front and back covers of the EP which is telling us that the Orchestra was conducted by Jean Medinger and that the score was composed by Andre Gosselain. If you want to know the relationship between Andre Gosselain and Andre Hossein, I advise you to read the interesting liner notes which are in both languages, french and english.
Here is the link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/132494897/AndreHosseinFilmMusic_mp3.rar
Enjoy.
Robert Hossein mentionned that his father worked around the same type of formation as John Lewis's MJQ, often with added brass. He says that in films Andre Hossein had "Jazz in his blood".
It is true to say that most of the scores on this CD are treated in a very jazzy way, so I'll post it also in "Quinlan's Jazz Speakeasy Shop".
@quinlan and everyone
Hi, Long time no sound ;0)
I know this house is a house where many "Die Hard Lalo Schifrinites" gather in huge quantities.
Therefore I wanted to throw in something I found today, which may be of value to you. This is no soundtrack, though be forwarned :)) If this was already shared here, forgive me, please for the repetition. The link is from 2006 and still alive, so hurry up before...
This is not my own upload, so heartfelt thanks go to the original uploader... Incidentally it's @320kbps quite powerful! Be cautious for your speakers :))
ENJOY :)
La.Sch. "BOSSA NOVA GROOVE"
http://rapidshare.com/files/3220683/lalo1.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/3226085/lalo1.part2.rar
@ mel
Hello pal
This one is for you.
The 1955 Capitol studio recordings of the tunes performed in the film "The Benny Goodman Story" by Benny Goodman himself and a bunch of great players including Hymie Schertzer, Phil Bodner, Chris Griffin, Billy Butterfield, Harry James, Urbie Green, Lou McGarity, Lionel Hampton, Tony Mottola, Al Caiola, George Duvivier and others..
I think (I hope) that it is what you requested when we first open this shop.
At that time I was unable to fulfill your request but I could not really stay on such a failure.
For your information, as opposed to the original LP, there are five additional bonus tracks (King Porter Stomp, Sometimes I'm Happy, Goody Goody, Alicia's Blues & Seven Come Eleven). On the other hand, The LP included a version of "Stompin' At The Savoy" which had been taken from the "B.G. In Hi-Fi" sessions. That selection is not on this CD, but is included on the CD reissue of that LP which I posted here earlier.
Here is "The Benny Goodman Story" by Benny Goodman, ripped from CD @ 320 with complete informative artwork.
http://rapidshare.com/files/135420011/BGTheBennyGoodman_Story_mp3.rar
Enjoy
@ quinlan
This is the one!!! How were you able you find it?
Thanks a million, pal.
Way to go Quinlan!
What a great show of determination!
@ Quinlan - This little speakeasy has been like the children's story of the little engine that could. It just chugs along at it's own pace with you at the controls.
Good. Now that my post will show up on the widget as appearing to be a nice little pep talk chit-chat sort of thing, I can give this to you friend to friend. You have been so kind to me over the time we've spent together I just had to give you this.
"Pete Kelly's Blues" 1955 Cd @320
Expanded Soundtrack
Starring Pete Kelly & His Big Seven
Featuring
Peggy Lee & Ella Fitzgerald
http://rapidshare.com/files/135958120/VA_PeteKellysBluesExpEd.zip
*full booklet scans included
EnjoY!
Had to use the secret knock, and slip the doorman a twenty, but I've made off with your secret stash.
Thankees Isbum:))
@ isbum, filmpac, gunshotwound & all Pete Kelly's Blues fans (provided there are some)
Here are the links:
1. Songs from Pete Kelly's Blues by Peggy Lee & Ella Fitzgerald (LP rip @ 320 + Artwork):
http://rapidshare.com/files/136078293/SongsFromPeteKelly_sBlues_mp3.rar
2. Dixieland numbers performed by the musicians featured in the film (Matty Matlock, Clarinet & Arrangements; Dick Cathcart, Cornet; Eddie Miller, Tenor Sax; Elmer "Moe" Schneider, Trombone; Nick Fatool, Drums; George Van Eps, Guitar; Ray Sherman, Piano & Jud DeNaut, Bass). This is thanks to the generosity of filmpac who originally shared it in YDHTVTB:
http://rapidshare.com/files/136081702/Pete_Kelly_s_Blues.rar
Isbum, filmpac was absolutely right. The second part of the extended edition which you gave the track list of is exactly the dixieland numbers track list. The intros are by Jack Webb (film director & main actor).
So with these two links we have now the entire extended edition which you couldn't afford to buy. No more worries mate!!!
Not to mention rocket from mars offering coming soon...
Enjoy
@ isbum
I'm terribly confused.
You finally did it with the Pete Kelly's Blues.
I must confess that I'd been commenting on Filmscorium and failed to look at my own shop.
I'm left wordless and even feel embarrassed.
You recently received a number of complimentary comments and the least one can say is that you truly deserve them.
Thank you very much my dear friend!
@ quinlan - No need to be confused or embarrassed, it is only a tiny gesture compared to the enormous amount of joy I take in being with so many wonderful people here.
@ Quinlan & Mel - Don't pass up this great jazz score Janus2810 posted.
The score doesn't start to kick in until about track 8, but the mood is well established by the previous tracks.
Here:
Piero Umiliani -
"Intrigo a Los Angeles"
1964 Lp@ 192
http://rapidshare.com/files/138200118/Intrigo_A_Los_Angeles.rar
@ isbum
Thanks for the heads up - I'll give it a listen at first opportunity. BTW, the Louis De Funes Vol. 2 is outstanding.
@ quinlan
Congrats on your 100th post, pal!
@ isbum
Thank you for drawing my attention to the Umiliani and Louis de Funes links.
Both of them are excellent, so thank you too to janus2810 and segroeg for the relevant posts.
Piero Umiliani's "Intrigo a Los Angeles" is indeed very jazzy and deserves a line in this shop. The tracks were not tagged, so, for those interested, here is the track list (Soundtrack Collector):
1. Idillio giallorosa (01:15)
2. Minorenne cercasi (01:54)
3. Movimento con swing (04:12)
4. Tipi sospetti (05:28)
5. Motel (01:38)
6. Spogliarello da circo (04:15)
7. Jazz bar (03:21)
8. Pedinamento (01:38)
9. Agguato (03:19)
10. Nel labirinto (01:36)
11. Ritmo neutronico (01:34)
12. Contagio atomico (01:40)
13. Messaggio elettronico (02:40)
14. Fissione nucleare (01:50)
15. Comunicazione spaziale (00:54)
By the way, as mel did, I loved the Louis de Funes. I noticed that it was volume 2, which means that there was a volume 1.
Has it been posted?
I tried to look it up in the quinlan's link lists (you know, these crazy lists from this crazy guy) but couldn't locate it.
Thanks again
@ mel
Thank you very much, pal, for the kind words. You know, I'm like this Number 2 Car Rental Company, I try harder.
By the way, I have to apologize not to have replied to your comment asking me where from I had got the "Benny Goodman Story" Studio recordings released just after the film release.
Well, I must say that I'm certainly not mistaken, if I say that I do share with you, among other things, a taste for the big bands of the swing era.
When you commented that in your opinion, this BG record was excellent, even better than the original soundtrack, I felt very frustrated not having it, because I'm totally trusting you in your judgements.
In addition, as I previously mentionned, Capitol is a kind of magic label for me. As a matter of fact I think I could buy anything from Capitol blindfold. This is purely emotional, because it reminds me my teenage years, when I was reading regularly with amazed eyes the Capitol magazine describing the new releases. I couldn't afford to buy them, except a very few ones time to time, and when it was happening, it was making me feeling like being the king of the world. I still have these records and do intend to post them here, restoring time permitting (some of the Ray Anthonys I already posted are part of them).
The last point of frustration was that I absolutely wanted to fulfill this request because it was coming from you.
So, it became a sort of obsession to have it.
I made a little search for it, and found it rather easily at *m*z*n.
And here it is, and I am quite happy to have it and above all to share it with you.
All the best.
@ quinlan
I am very touched - not only that you trusted my opinion about the Capitol Benny Goodman, but also that you went to all that trouble to locate my special request for it so that you could share it with me. I hope you were not disappointed with it.
Obsessions…..like you, Capitol was a magic label for me - ever since I was a kid. I have in my hand right now (it sits on my desk, here next to the computer) a complete 184 page Capitol catalog from 1953. Get these names: Ray Anthony, Les Baxter, Mel Blanc, Buddy Cole, Nat King Cole, Frank De Vol, Duke Ellington, The Four Freshmen, Stan Freberg, Jackie Gleason, Benny Goodman, Stan Kenton, Peggy Lee, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Billy May, Johnny Mercer, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Nelson Riddle, Jo Stafford, Mel Torme, Paul Weston, Margaret Whiting and hundreds of others (Frank Sinatra was yet to join them). I remember the records that I was given as presents when I was little: Sparky’s Magic Piano, I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat; then those that I save up my pennies for: Slaughter On Tenth Avenue by the amazing young pianist Diana Lynn, the Nat King Cole favorites…..I could go on and on. Sadly that label is a very different entity today. But it’s great to remember those good old days - and to realize that we have managed to find again so many of these old recordings right here on the internet.
Thank you very much, pal - you did my heart good with your message.
Kindest regards.
@ mel
Yes, yes, yes!!!
What you're saying is exactly how I feel.
Just for old times' sake and the pleasure of good memories of our youth, let me add a few names to the enchanting ones you have listed:
Les Brown, Harry James, Gene Vincent, Bobby Hackett, The King Sisters, Dick Haymes, The Dinning Sisters, Judy Garland, Plas Johnson, Ella Mae Morse, Louis Prima, Keely Smith, Kay Starr, Lou Bush, Joe Bushkin...
Not too bad either!
Incidently, I didn't go to any trouble at all to locate the BG. It was a real pleasure, and yes, I do love this record.
Very best regards, pal.
@ Mel & Quinlan - You guys got me all sentimental over my days living two blocks from Capitol Records.
The RCA building on Sunset could also be seen from my apartment window.
Of course these memories are only 30 years ago. Who, but me, would wax nostalgic over the '70's? ;)
Nice reading those posts guys.
@ Quinlan - Funny as things go with our group here, after making the above post, I checked my email and found this message from Mel.
Mel said...
Quinlan and I were discussing and reminiscing over our long-time love for the Capitol Records label at Jazz Speakeasy. I was reluctant to take up so much space in digressing from the subject at hand, but I would also like to tell him to take a peek at this blog by someone who used to work for Capitol Records:
http://www.popculturefanboy.blogspot.com/
@ Mel thanks for passing this along. Very interesting indeed!
@ Mel - Great blog! About a year ago I was searching information on the relationship between David Axelrod and Don Randi and came to this blog.
There I read about the Cuban American protest at the Capitol Tower in response to Randi's recording of Lalo Schifrin's "Theme from CHE!".
Great to see the creator of this blog still at it.
@ Mel and Quinlan,
Can't thank you enough for the link to the Capitol records site. I too love the label. The list of names you cite leads me to wonder if you have any wants from that era that I might have. Specifically, I was thinking of putting Diana Lynn and Mel Blanc LPs on the Big 10-Inch Record in the near future, but have many others on that list.
@ buster
Funny how things happen here. I just sent you a request to contact me by e-mail over at Golden Age Of Hollywood.
Don't worry - what I wanted to ask you was exactly this: For years I have been hunting for the 10" Diana Lynn LP Piano Moods - Capitol H180 - and here you are actually offering it!! That you actually have it is the most fantastic news.
And, yes, I would like the Mel Blanc also if that's not being too greedy....
@ Mel,
I do have that Diana Lynn album. (I think I have the 78 album, too, strangely enough). What a doll she was - and talented. I'll put it at the top of the queue.
@ all,
By the way (pardon the commercial interruption), Big 10-Inch Record recently posted an unusual LP of blues records by Ida May Mack and Bessie Tucker, recorded 80 years ago this week in Memphis. If you like Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey, you'll probably like these sides.
@ mel
Belated but hearty thanks for the link to the Capitol records site.
Absolutely fabulous
@ buster
Belated thanks to you too for your permanent and precious contribution here.
Anything from Capitol records here or on your blog will be most welcome
Last week, I've been meeting some very old college friends whom I had not seen for over 46 years.
This was very cheerful as we were remembering very pleasant things of our teens.
Our earliest memories were of music and particularly the music we were dancing on in parties.
That's how we came to remember a song we loved to smooch on and which was a true pop hit in 1957/58, "Bad Boy" by Clarence Palmer And The Jive Bombers.
The Jive Bombers music was not precisely jazz but in some respect was not too far from it.
Having a Savoy LP gathering three sessions of this group, I proposed my friends to digitize it and ultimately thought I could also share it here.
It was released in the Savoy Jazz serie; the group was backed by such jazzmen as Kenny Burrell on guitar, Leonard Gaskin on bass and Bobby Donaldson on drums. All this and a certain kind of swing makes it not too odd to post in a blog mainly dedicated to jazz.
Let's hope that it'll remind you also some good memories.
Ripped @ 320 from LP with complete artwork, here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/142948465/TheJiveBombers.rar
Hope you'll enjoy it too.
Greetings to all
I haven't visited your blog for a while and I was happily surprised to see the huge development you all have done to the place.
I also have found tons of my favorite music here and I must thank all of you for that.
Additions to the blog as this part (Jazz Speakeasy) are just wonderful and just continue the excellent music orientation that Isbums place had from the start.
@ quinlan
Great job my friend, many thnxs for the excellent music you were kind enough to share with me and the rest of the visitors here. I read at your Ray Anthony posts and I hope that you don't have the following album I found at someplace on the Net. It's too difficult to keep track of what has already been posted, so I ask of your forgiveness if the album is already posted.
It's Ray Anthony - Young Ideas from 1957. I hope it's the kind of album you were thinking about when starting this thread.
I have some questions regarding the kind of albums that can be posted here. Please clarify the eras and the kind of jazz (fusion, free, jazz-funk etc.)that would fit in here. I myself am a 60's and 70's lover to almost all kinds of music, including jazz, but not strictly to classics. It would help me to know what kind would fit in here, so when I have the time to upload some without being off-topic.
Many thnxs again for the excellent music that you people dedicate your time to provide to the rest of us.
Ray Anthony - Young Ideas (1957)
http://rapidshare.com/files/143290601/Ray_Anthony_-_Young_Ideas.rar.html
And 2 Sid Ramin albums...
http://rapidshare.com/files/143295822/Sid_Ramin_-_Threshold_in_Sound_1963.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/143297446/Sid_Ramin_and_his_orchestra_-_Love_Is_A_Swingin__Word_1958.rar.html
Cheers!
@ stumble on this
Thank you for the nice words and for posting new items.
I had the Ray Anthony, certainly from the same place where you downloaded it from. But this shop is not reserved to me and there may be some other visitors who will enjoy downloading it.
The Sid Ramin are most welcome too (I had "New Threshold In Sound" but at a lower bitrate).
As far as the kind of jazz that would fit in here, I would say...any kind.
Just post what you like, hopefully you'll find someone to like what you like. That's the philosophy here.
Personally, fusion or free jazz are not really my cup of tea, but I'm always open to discover what I don't know.
So, welcome board and feel free to post as the mood takes you.
@ stumble on this - I am 100% in agreement with what Quinlan said.
Post what you like and people will either appreciate the opportunity to check out something new or maybe request music in a similar style.
Have fun, and I'm happy you stumbled back in this place. ;)
http://rapidshare.com/files/143564370/buddy_rich___maynard_ferguson_play_selections_from_west_side_story___other_delights.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/143568012/Carlos_Franzetti_-_Grafitti_2007.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/143578001/dusko_gojkovic_-_trumpets___rhythm_unit__1979_.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/143582242/gustav_brom_se_svym_orchestrem_-_pozdrav_orchestru_1981.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/143579949/gerald_wilson_orchestra_-_eternal_equinox__1969__world_pacific.rar.html
Hi friends! Has anybody these 3 albums:
1.Storyville Presents: Jackie & Roy (original recordings remastered)
2.Mr. Wilson - Fabulous Teddy Wilson at the Piano
3.Ralph Sharon Trio plays Tony Bennett Songbook (*without Tony himself)
I couldn't find it for download or buy anywhere. Please help!
@ stumble on this
Thank you very very much for all your links and your generosity in accepting to share the music you like.
There is one area where you could be of some help to me.
You probably noticed that in the franklynot home page there is a banner which says "Quinlan's Excel Archive Spreadshhets". Maybe you had the curiosity to download these lists. Since this blog first opened, I am publishing on a monthly basis lists under the MS Excel software summarizing all links with details for each link concerning the date it was posted, the "poster's" name, the title of the album/track or whatever piece of of work and the name of the relevant artist(s).
What I'd like to kindly ask you is, for each of your link posted here, to indicate clearly the name of the main artist concerned (composer, performer, arranger...) and the title of the work.
I know it may be somehow available from the link itself but it's not always very explicit.
In addition, considering the wide range of different jazz styles, I think it would be informative and useful if you could tell us in a few words what kind of music it is.
This would tremendously help me in the making of the monthly link lists.
Thank you again for your contribution and for your co-operation as well.
@ quinlan
Will do! :-)
I thought that the links were self explanatory, but you're right.
As far as the description I'll do my best, although I haven't done that before. Would a copy & paste of a part of a review will do the job?
Also I had downloaded one of your lists in the past but it was too long ago and it was concerning soundtracks. I'll get them and try not to upload duplicate albums.
Also to add a request...
If anyone has anything else from Gustav Brom and can upload it or provide a link I would be much obliged.
@ stumble on this
Thank you for your answer and your understanding.
In what I was suggesting, there was no obligation on your part to comment on the musician or his piece of work. It's up to you and yes a copy & paste of any review or part of it would certainly do. Just indicate the source.
I was suggesting that also for your own satisfaction.
I guess that if you take time to rip and upload an album with the intention of sharing it here or anywhere else, it's with pleasure that you'll see it downloaded and eventually commented by visitors who may come from every part of the world. With no download, you may wonder whether it's worth the effort and could feel soon discouraged .
One thing you've got to realize is that basically (but not only) this blog and its branches are dedicated to film and/or show scores. In this respect, you may note that such shops, as we call them, as "European Cinema", "Asian Cinema", "Big Western Round Up", "Golden Age Of Hollywood" and "Broadway Bound" have a self explanatory name.
There are three exceptions: "Vinyl Adventures", "Classical Music Hall" and this one "Jazz Speakeasy" to propose something else than soundtracks. In addition, you certainly noted that there is a very big number of Jazz blogs in blogland.
This means that the visitors here will come firstly for what they are looking for i.e. movie scores. So you should not expect hundreds and hundreds of downloads when it's not this kind of music. However there is one way to try to attract people to the music you like and want to share, it's to tell them what it is and why you like it.
Let's take an example. I have a reasonable knowledge in jazz music, mostly in its traditional aspect but I do not pretend to know everything, far from it!
Looking at your recent posts, I had never heard of Gustav Brom. The wording of the link seems to indicate that he's coming from Eastern Europe (it may be Rumania, Hungaria, Serbia or Czech Republic...) and I first had a tendancy to think that he was one of these avant-garde musicians I am not too keen on.
But since I am curious, I googled his name and this is what I found at Wikipedia:
"Gustav Brom, (May 22, 1921 - September 25, 1995) was a Czech big band leader, arranger, clarinettist and composer. He achieved fame in Europe and abroad from the 1940’s right through to his death in 1995. He worked prolifically and was noted for remaining true to the jazz big band idiom, beginning with Dixieland and swing and later, with contributions from his musicians, moving into the West Coast jazz sound."
When I read that, I realized that I was totally wrong and this man was playing music I like, from the swing and the big band era. He was recognized by people like Maynard Ferguson, Dizzy Gillespie or Ray Conniff. This is enough for me to think that it's certainly worth a download and a listen.
I have the same remark for Dusko Gojkovic. Reading that he played with such musicians as Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins or the Francy Boland/Kenny Clarke Big Band is enough for me to have an idea of his quality and to feel like listening to it.
Again, please don't take these observations as instructions to follow, you're perfectly free to post the way you want to do it. As isbum precised when opening the original blog, there are just three things which will get your post removed:
1. Complaining
2. Being Negative or Rude
3. Your Name is Greg
Forget about the third one which has been taken care of and you see that there are not a lot of constraints being a contributor here.
The only one I am sort of placing on everyone posting in franklynot is to indicate the album title and artist name.
As far as your posts are concerned could you please confirm that my understanding as follows is correct:
1. Buddy Rich & Maynard Ferguson: "Buddy Rich & Maynard Ferguson play selections from West Side Story & other delights"
2. Carlos Franzetti: "Grafitti"
3. Gerald Wilson: "Eternal Equinox"
4 & 5. For The Gustav Brom and the Dusko Gojkovic, I am not sure of the album title. Can you help?
Sorry for this long lecture and thank you for your past, present and future contributions.
All the best.
@ cloud9
Sorry I don't have any of the three albums you requested.
But please stay tuned, hopefully someone reading your requests will be able to fulfill them.
Good luck
@ Quinlan and jazzers
hello again!
@ Cloud9
Here are all Storyville sessions of Jackie and Roy.
CD rip, @320
Jackie and Roy
http://rapidshare.com/files/143805343/JAR-JAR.rar
Sing! Baby Sing!
http://rapidshare.com/files/143806775/JAR-SBS.rar
@ quinlan
The titles are as follows...
gustav brom se svym orchestrem - pozdrav orchestru 1981
dusko gojkovic - trumpets & rhythm unit (1979)
You are correct to the other three albums
HOLY GOD! Thank you friends) it's magnificient!!!
Perhaps, I've found some information, about another (of that 3) release:
Here is a link to info from Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007OE5E6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
And here - is the tracklist:
01. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
02. Rosetta
03. These Foolish Things 04. Them There Eyes
05. I Can't Get Started
06. China Boy
07. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
08. I Surrender, Dear
09. I've Got the World on a String
10. After You've Gone
11. Bess, You Is My Woman Now
12. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
some my friends think, that it is his most brilliant album ever. What do you could say about this one?
@ cloud9
Without my having to go to Amazon, which album are you talking about above?
@ quinlan
I've been hunting for "Conniff Meets Butterfield" (the first pairing of Ray Conniff with Billy Butterfield on Columbia).
A little bird told me that you may have it!
@mel
It's about one of the most hard-to-find albums of Teddy Wilson - "Mr.Wilson - The Fabulous Teddy Wilson at the Piano". Everywhere, everyday: I'd like to find it in lossless or mp3, but I have to!
P.S. And also I want to find (as I wrote before) "Tony Bennett Songbook played by Ralph Sharon Trio"*
*- Trio, not Quartet, and without Tony Bennett himself.
@ cloud69
You're right, and I think that Teddy Wilson albums generally are not easy to find nowadays. I myself would certainly like that one, and also the one titled (I think) "Mr. Wilson And Mr. Gershwin". And I think there was another one called "The Impeccable Mr. Wilson".
I do have some Ralph Sharon stuff but not that one.
@ mel
Sure, but 2 hrs. ago, I think, i've to find the Right Man, who could find this disc here, at Russian Federation on CD from one of his friends. If I'll catch it, I'll upload it on Rapidshare.com in lossless as soon, as I could.
And for a minute, does anybody has someone of theese 22 albums in lossless:
1.Benny Goodman - Live at Carnegie Hall
2.Gerry Mulligan - What Is There To Say
3.Duke Ellington - In A Mellotone
4.Nat "King" Cole - After Midnight
5.Ray Brown - Straight Ahead
6.Telonius Monk - Monk by Monk by 5
7.Frank Sinatra - Swing Easy
8.Charlie Parker - Bird and Diz
9.Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman
10.Bix Beiderbecke - Riverboat Shuffle
11.Bobby Hackett and Jack Teagarden - Coast Consert
12.Charlie Christian - Genius of Electric Guitar +
13.Complete Norman Granz Sessions with Oscar Peterson -
14.Dexter Gordon - Homecoming (Live At The Village Vanguard)
15.Eddie Condon - Bixieland \ Treasury of Jazz
16.Herb Geller -That Geller Feller
17.Herbie Mann - Windows Opened \ Inspiration that I Feel
18.Lady Day - The Complete Billie Holiday On Columbia [1933-1944]
19.Ole Torme - Mel Torme goes south with Billy May -
20.Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert
21.Jimmy Rushing - Rushing Lullabies
22.Stan Getz at Storyville vol.1 & vol.2
???
Hi all :-)
I'm about to share 2 Dick Hyman albums and below is some info about him.... if you like his style and you think this is the proper place to share the uploads let me know so I can share some more I have from him. Personally I love his way of playing and the space-age feeling that his sound has. Both albums include his versions of well-known movie hits.
Hopefully you'll enjoy them as I have.
"Dick Hyman is a pianist, organist, arranger, conductor and composer. As a busy studio musician, he has won seven “Most Valuable Player” awards from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, having recorded more than 100 albums under his own name and even more in support of other artists. Hyman has performed solo, with orchestras, with his own quintet, with cornetist Ruby Braff and in duo piano performances with George Shearing, Derek Smith, Roger Kellaway, Ralph Sutton and Dick Wellstood. In 1975, Dick Hyman was asked to conduct the New York Jazz Repertory Company on a State Department-sponsored tour of the former Soviet Union. Hyman has acted as music director for radio and television, including the 1989-90 In Performance at the White House. He has written numerous scores for television dramas and documentaries for which he has received Emmy Awards for both composing and musical direction. He has also orchestrated Broadway musicals and composed scores for films, including many for writer-director Woody Allen. He composed and performed the score for the Cleveland Ballet’s Piano Man and for Twyla Tharp’s The Bum’s Rush with the American Ballet Theatre. His concert compositions include his Piano Concerto, Ragtime Fantasy, and Sonata for Violin and Piano. Other projects include an interactive CD-Rom, A Century of Jazz Piano, and with John Sheridan, Forgotten Dreams...Archives of Novelty Piano. Hyman created and served for 20 years as artistic director for the 92nd Street Y’s Jazz in July series and was selected by his successor for its 2006 “Jazz Legend” tribute. He has been artistic director for Jazz Piano at the Y since its inception in the ‘70s. His Web site is www.dickhyman.com."
Dick Hyman - The Man From O.R.G.A.N
http://rapidshare.com/files/144119768/Dick_Hyman_-_The_Man_From_O.R.G.A.N.rar.html
Dick Hyman at the lowrey organ - Fabulous (1963)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144119096/dick_hyman_at_the_lowrey_organ_-_fabulous_-_1963___320_.rar.html
Enjoy!
@ stumble on this
Great Dick Hyman shares for which you deserve my deepest appreciation.
You understand that this place is perfectly adapted for this music.
If you have some more, please go ahead without restraint.
And also thank you for very informative comments.
Great job!
@ mel
Your little bird was quite right and I am more than happy to be able to provide it to your satisfaction.
Based on your request, I will post it here very soon with great pleasure (originally I was thinking of sharing it privately you know where).
It's coming pal, just a little patience and you have it.
BTW, for the people who are not understanding what I am talking about, it's "Conniff Meets Butterfield" starring the great jazz trumpeter Billy Butterfield with his gorgeous sound on the inimitable and so swingin' Ray Conniff's arrangements.
Cheers
I'll skip the Dick Hymans for now to share a compilation from another great artist. His name Dave Pike...
"David Samuel Pike (born March 23, 1938 in Detroit) is a jazz vibraphone player. He learned drums at the age of eight and is self taught on vibes. He has also played marimba, particularly with Herbie Mann. Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson, and Cal Tjader were early inspirations for him."
Included at his "Set" scheme you'll be listening to another great one, Volker Kriegel, who takes charge of playing acoustic, classical, and electric guitar as well as sitar.
I have many albums from both (not all though)... so ask away if there's something you would like to have from them.
Cheers to all, especially @quinlan for his support and of course Isbum (this paradise creator:-))
Dave Pike Set - Masterpieces (1997)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144209866/Dave_Pike_Set_-_Masterpieces__1996_.rar.html
Ok... was just kidding :-)
Here's another Hyman since you liked him :-)
Dick Hyman - Fantomfingers (1971)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144228695/Dick_Hyman_-_Fantomfingers__1971_.rar.html
Enjoy!
@ mel & the Ray Conniff / Billy Butterfield aficionados
Band leader, arranger & trombonist Ray Conniff is not to be introduced, nor is the great jazz trumpeter Billy Butterfield.
In 1959 they recorded an album together called "Conniff Meets Butterfield".
Here are some excerpts from the original LP liner notes:
"The album you are looking at contains a dozen superb tunes, all brought up to date with Billy's tastefully sophisticated and, when needed, hard-driving jazz. Billy Butterfield, his embouchure and trumpet carry the ball in this set. And what a ball he's having. His rugged, he-man tones and Conniff's glass-smooth, swinging-sweet arrangements do more than rustle the ear lobes that are, happily, within listening range. These sounds go beyond the finger-snapping and toe-tapping bit. For these lads, the snapping-tapping stage is just a starting point. They prefer to get heads and shoulders a-pumping, too, in the best therapeutic manner."
Nothing to add to that.
Here it is, ripped from LP @ 320 with complete artwork:
http://rapidshare.com/files/144522400/Conniff_Meets_Butterfield.rar
Enjoy
BTW, mel I also have the other album recorded by Ray Conniff with Billy Butterfield "Just Kiddin' Around". In case you or someone else would be interested.
@ cloud9
Reur request
Here is Nat "King" Cole's After Midnight complete session (17 tracks) @ 320 with front cover.
Not my rip, thanks to the original uploader:
http://rapidshare.com/files/144544527/After_Midnight.rar
Enjoy
@ quinlan
Thank you very much, pal, for Conniff Meets Butterfield. I was surprised when I was hunting for it that it has been so hard to find these days - it was a best-selling LP for years!
I already have Just Kiddin' Around, but thanks anyway.
@ quinlan
Thank you friend, but I already have all that albums in 320 mp3 (probably you want something? You're welcome!)
@ cloud9
Sorry, I missed the point where you were saying that the albums you requested had to be in a lossless format.
Never mind!
Now just a little question: do you really see a differencec between an mp3 compression @ 320 properly done and a lossless format, except the size of the file.
I mean, can you really hear the difference.
Please don't see any mockery in my question, it's because as far as I am concerned I can hardly see a difference apart from a big difference in size which may create a problem of storage for the heavy downloader I am.
Cheers
Here are some links to Henry Mancini jazz albums which I also posted in Filmscorium (ripped from CD @ 320 with artwork)
Combo!
http://rapidshare.com/files/144749202/HenryManciniCombo.rar
The Blues And The Beat
http://rapidshare.com/files/144761121/HenryManciniTheBluesAndTheBeat.rar
Uniquely Mancini
http://rapidshare.com/files/38907991/Henry_Mancini_Uniquely_Mancini_mp3.rar
Enjoy
@ Mel,
I have that Teddy Wilson album of Gershwin. I'll put it on the list if you're still looking for it.
@ buster
Wow, that will be great to get that Teddy Wilson album.
You're amazing - coming up so often with these gems!
Yeh, sure, 'cause I have HUGE USSR-spesakers like myself's size))) *joke* ("Iskra" full-stereo something about 1.5metres high and 300 kw power). It's the great thing and I really see a difference between @ 320 and a lossless format.
P.S. And, of course, It's much more better to use lossless audio, if you want to burn it like original CD.))
I'm still looking for theese albums and be very thankfull, if somebody could help me in hunting)))
@ h2o
Thank you one more time for posting Jackie & Roy Storyville Sessions - they're amazing! But if you have it in lossless (flac or ape), could you repost them here once more time?
@ Quinlan and jazzers
I just found some of my "wishlist" albums in lossless (below), but they're downloading too slow, it takes much more time, than I want... Do someone want some? I'll post them to rapidshare.com, while they're ready.
list of:
1.Benny Goodman - Live at Carnegie Hall
2.Gerry Mulligan - What Is There To Say
3.Nat "King" Cole - After Midnight
4.Ray Brown - Straight Ahead
5.Frank Sinatra - Swing Easy
6.Charlie Parker - Bird and Diz
7.Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman
8.Charlie Christian - Genius of Electric Guitar +
9.Complete Norman Granz Sessions with Oscar Peterson -
10.Stan Getz at Storyville
Two rare fifties jazz vocal albums:
Here Comes Carole Creveling (1955)
http://sharebee.com/18ba034a
Remembering With Marjorie Lee
(1957)
http://sharebee.com/480ae3cb
Below is the best album of Dick Farney albums I have heard so far (have listened to 7 so far)...
Some info about him can be found here...
http://www.answers.com/topic/dick-farney
All other 6 albums are cool latin tunes, but this one with Orquestra Gaya stands out for sure.
Dick Farney and Orquestra Gaya - Piano, Orquestra (1965)
http://rapidshare.com/files/146279852/Dick_Farney___Orquestra_Gaya_-_Piano__Orquestra__1965_.rar.html
Enjoy!
@ Cloud9
re-upload Storyville sessions of Jackie and Roy.
Jackie and Roy
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DUVK0IRS
Sing! Baby Sing!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2QCGURXH
and
Teddy Wilson - "Mr.Wilson - The Fabulous Teddy Wilson at the Piano"
http://rapidshare.com/files/146760225/TW-MRW.rar
all CD-rip, @flac.
BTW, do you like Haruki Murakami's novels?
As for the your favorite music, it resembles well with his.
Yeh, sure)) I just hunting for albums from his famous book "Portraits in Jazz" and when it's over (with your help, friend, it'll be soon!) i'll uload all of them here in lossless and mp3 vers.!!!
theese I couldn't find in lossless, but still hunting:
1.Duke Ellington - In A Mellotone
2.Thelonius Monk - Monk by Monk by 5 -
4.Bobby Hackett and Jack Teagarden - Coast Consert
6.Dexter Gordon - Homecoming (Live At The Village Vanguard)
7.Eddie Condon - Bixieland \ Treasury of Jazz
8.Herb Geller -That Geller Feller
9.Herbie Mann - Windows Opened \ Inspiration that I Feel
10.Lady Day - The Complete Billie Holiday On Columbia [1933-1944]
11.Ole Torme - Mel Torme goes south with Billy May
12.Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert
13.Jimmy Rushing - Rushing Lullabies
14.Lionell Hampton - You better know it!!!
and anywhere I couldn't find:
Tony Bennett Songbook played by Ralph Sharon Trio
I've just finished downloading 10-CD Edition of Billie Holiday at Columbia, early ears - all in ape+cue, 1.8Gb!!! Greater than hell!
and here I post the information for the last album from "my collection", that i hunting:
"RALPH SHARON TRIO
Music for the Late Hours: The Tony Bennett Song Book"
1.Just in Time
2.I Wanna Be Around
3.Who Can I Turn To?
4.One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)
5.The Kid's a Dreamer
6.Blues for a Rainy Day
7.The Good Life
8.You Came a Long Way from St. Louis
9.In San Francisco
10.Stranger in Town
11.Blues for Mr. T
it's all that I have on it...
@ Mel and lovers of great pianism:
Teddy Wilson - Mr. Wilson and Mr. Gershwin.
http://rapidshare.com/files/148145860/Teddy_Wilson_-_Mr._Wilson_and_Mr._Gershwin.zip
Hope you enjoy! Sorry it took so long.
@ buster
Many thanks for Mr. Wilson And Mr. Gershwin. It was worth waiting for!
@ buster
Great thing, thank you!
I just discovered a great post-war New York jazz combo player called George Wallington. That guy's stuff is tight, anyone into him round these parts?
And I wonder if anyone's a fan of the Japanese jazz pianist Makoto Ozone. I just heard a track by him on internet radio and like his sound very much, too. :)
--mcc
@ --mcc
You’ll find a lot of George Wallington stuff here:
http://andifyouhadtwocoats.blogspot.com/search?q=george+wallington
Thanks for the tip! I've heard and love his "New York Scene" and presently have both "At The Bohemia" and "Jazz For The Carriage Trade."
Very cool stuff! :)
@ --mcc
Funny you should use the word "cool" - a word I rarely use unless it's to describe the ambient temperature.
I was first introduced to the music of George Wallington back in the 1950s. No doubt you are acquainted with the famous ground-breaking Miles Davis 9-piece band of 1948-1949 which later became known as The Birth Of The Cool. Well, Wallington's composition "Godchild" was one of the items recorded by the band, and it led me to seek out recordings by the pianist himself. I found only one in those days and it's only in the last few years that I've been able to get all these others.
Cool, indeed.
@ --mcc
You can find some Ozone in this jazz blog.
http://fenderjazz-fenderjazzmusic.blogspot.com/
and found some more.
Treasure (2002)
http://rapidshare.com/files/121723958/MOTreasure_2002__by_Ciberneo.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/121730243/MOTreasure_2002__by_Ciberneo.part2.rar
PW : ciberneo
Ashita no Kita Yoshio OST
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=l3nemnkx
Thanks to the original uploader.
Ozone is great piano player!
Thank you so much! Looking forward to giving them a listen. :)
Hi to all , sorry for not being a more regular visitor
Just like to bring you jazzheads attention to some recent jazz discography sites (with downloads) that are currently running
Firstly my own
Flying Dutchman Records
http://flying--dutchman.blogspot.com/
Impulse Records
http://orangeandblackspines.wordpress.com/
Strata East Records
http://strata-east.blogspot.com/
MPS Records
http://mps-love.blogspot.com/
Mainstream Records
http://shad-shack.blogspot.com/
All of these blogs also accept contributions also
Hope you enjoy :)
hi everybody!
does anybody have "Johnny cool" by Billy May?
cheers from Sardinia
J.
@ jimi vampiro
Here is Johnny Cool by Billy May.
Not my rip; thanks to the original uploader:
http://rapidshare.com/files/151839537/BMJC.rar.html
@ mel
Thanks a lot, pal, for the Billy May which I did not have.
Your contributions are so precious here.
@ quinlan, Here's one more album with Billy May, it's from my wishlist and so in flac+whole res. covers:
"Olé Tormé! Mel Torme Goes South with Billy May" (1959) [Verve][212 Mb]
Tracklisting:
1. At The Crossroads (Malaguena)
2. Frenesi
3. Adios
4. Baia
5. Six Lessons From Madame La Zonga
6. Rosit,
7. South Of The Border
8. Nina
9. Cuban Love Song
10. Perfidia
11. The Rhumba Jumps
12. Vaya Con Dios
http://narod.ru/disk/2836941000/Ole.rar.html
if there would be any problems with downloading, I could re-up it on rapidshare.com
All yours, Cloud9.doc
@ cloud9
The Billy May you posted is very much appreciated. Big thanks for it and for any other Billy May you may have and accept to share here.
Best
@mel:
Thank you very much for the Billy May's soundtrack.
Here's a masterpiece from the Italian great Maestro Armando Trovajoli: "Trovajoli jazz piano" (RCA ITALIA 1959)
Enjoy.....
http://rapidshare.com/files/153769146/Armando_Trovajoli_-_Trovajoli_jazz_piano__1959_.zip.html
p.s. does anybody have some jazzy scores from sixties japanese Nikkatsu gangster movies?
another one for your listening pleasure:
"Dire Tempo jazz" a collection of italian jazz cuts from the laber Dire jazz, reissued from Tempo Jazz.
70's style....
http://rapidshare.com/files/154444274/VVAA_-_Dire_Tempo_jazz.zip.html
Enjoy...
request: "Rearward in Italy" Various artists (Schema records reissue)
thanx
Jimi
Don't you like Italian jazz, guys???
@ Quinlan - Posted in European Cinema, but certainly something the Jazzer's would like.
This is Armando Trovajoli's "Il vedovo" (not my rip):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=33DV6FY0
My request: Trovajoli's "La visita"
Cheers
Something more from cinema for jazzers:
Original Jazz Soundtracks for:
Miles Davis "Ascenseur Pour L'echafaud"
http://rapidshare.com/files/158054620/Ascenseur_Pour_L_echafaud.rar.html
and
Glenn Miller "Orchestra-Sun Valley Serenade"
http://rapidshare.com/files/158051773/09.rar.html
Ellington fans will be familiar with vocalist Herb Jeffries. We have one of his solo albums on the Big 10-Inch Record. Actually two of them, one posted today and one some time ago.
Also new on the blog is a record by the Johnson Family Singers. That's a gospel group, but it spawned Betty Johnson, who later made records for Atlantic and other labels. But please don't expect this one to sound jazzy! It does not.
Does anybody have Elmer Bernstein - "Staccato" tv series original soundtrack?
@ all - anyone know what happened to the great jazz blog Musical Moadom? I swear it was there this morning and now I just get something like king2B or other nonsense.
I know they had a bit of a blogger problem earlier this week (3 RIAA warnings) but I thought it was taken care of. Also, usually if blogger shuts you down there's a note saying so.
Back to "work" after a hiatus due to unplanned but welcome short holiday.
Here is Shorty Rogers "Manteca - Afro-Cuban Influence" recorded in 1958 with a big band featuring first class musicians such as Frank Rosolino, Bob Enevoldsen, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Herb Geller, Joe Mondragon, Shelly Manne and many others.
Track list:
1. Manteca (Dizzy Gillespie-Chano Pozo-Gil Fuller)
2. Moon Over Cuba (Duke Ellington-Juan Tizol)
3. Viva Puente (Shorty Rogers)
4. Un Poco Loco (Bud Powell)
5. Wayacañanga Suite (Carlos Vidal-Modesto Duran-Shorty Rogers)
Highly recommended!!!
Ripped from CD @ 320 with complete artwork.
http://rapidshare.com/files/159470813/ShortyRogersManteca.rar
Enjoy
I've been fulfilling a private request somewhere else and although I can't say it's really jazz, I thought it would be nice to share it here.
"Moondreams" by Dick Haymes recorded in 1957 for Capitol Records.
Ripped from LP @ 320 with complete artwork.
http://rapidshare.com/files/159425529/DickHaymesMoondreams.rar
Enjoy
@ jimi vampiro
You came to the right place.
Here is Elmer Bernstein "Staccato". Not my rip, thanks to the generosity of the original uploader. The compression rate is 160 kbs but the sound is of a very good quality.
http://rapidshare.com/files/159484867/ElmerBernsteinStaccato.rar
Enjoy
@quinlan:
I knew this was the RIGHT place!
thank you so much....
I'm posting here some of the much beautiful records in Italian 70's jazz, but I have no feedback..do you like this kind of sexy, groovy jazz?
I have 1 album in groovy jazz style, very interesting) soon it'll be here!
Here's something rather unique (at least when I first had heard it played on the Classical music radio...
This is a part of 10 CD box set of the "Duke".
As I have more time I'll continue to post them on my blog...
Degas Suite & The River by Duke Ellington... Covers incl. @320 kbps.
Enjoy :)
http://rapidshare.com/files/160425974/Duke_E._Degas_Ste.___River.rar
Hey there,
Two items that might be of interest at the Big 10-Inch Record.
First is the duo of pianist Russ Freeman and drummer Shelly Manne in a 1954 recording. Also, we have a rare outing of the same vintage by pianist George Greeley - not really jazz, but worth hearing.
This is an album recorded in 1964 by one of my favorite guitarist with his magic thumb, Wes Montgomery: "Movin' Wes".
In this session, Wes is backed up by a bunch of fist class musicians such as trombonists Jimmy Cleveland, Urbie Green and Quentin Jackson, trompetists Ernie Royal, Clark Terry and Snooky Young, saxophonist Jerome Richardson and drummer Grady Tate, the whole thing beeing arranged and conducted by Johnny Pate.
The track list is as follows: Caravan, People, Movin' Wes - Part 1 & 2, Moca Flor, Matchmaker, The Phoenix Love Theme, Theodora, In And Out, Born To Be Blue, West Coast Blues.
The rip is @ 320 from the CD reedition with complete artwork.
http://rapidshare.com/files/165722738/WesMontgomeryMovin_Wes.rar
Enjoy
@ jimi vampiro
Sorry for my late reply to your posts. I've been and still am somewhat overloaded recently and couldn't devote as much time to this blog as it deserves.
Yes your italian jazz posts are most welcome here, and please don't worrry with the absence of feed back comments. It's also happening to me, and I keep going on.
We should not look for a big number of downloads. Just the high quality of the happy few downloaders counts...
If you have other requests, please do not hesitate.
Cheers
@ all
At last the link summaries as of October 31 have been posted in the usual space.
I'd like to ask you to forgive me for not beeing as punctual as usual due to exceptional circumstances.
It's to be noted that October is a record month in terms of number of links. We achieved a total number of 527 links only for Filmscorium as opposed to 389 in September or 284 in August. The last month recording more links than the current one was September 2007 with 684 links. So it's nice to see that the crisis is not with us...
I'd like also to catch this opportunity to give you a reminder, in particular to the welcome and so productive newcomers.
If you appreciate what I'm doing you can be of a tremendous help to me in making sure that your links are clearly described with the album title and the artist(s) name(s), the way you would like them to be reported in the link lists I prepare.
In addition, if you use the hyper link technique, please report the complete link as the hyper link. Words like "here", or "click" oblige me to open the link to be able to copy and paste it. In this respect look at what filmpac is doing which is perfect for me.
Also, if you refer to a request, please repeat the album and artist name. If you just say, when answering the request, "here is what you wanted", it obliges me to go back to the request which sometimes was raised several days earlier, to identify the link.
So, you would oblige me by accepting to follow these little rules. It would save me a lot of time.
Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
I know there are quite a few Michel Legrand fans among our visitors, so here is an album which I don't remember seeing posted in blogland. It's merely called "Big Band". Michel Legrand arranged his own compositions, plays piano and conducts a bunch of talented French musicians with his unique touch.
Track list is as follows: Le Petit Journal; I Will Wait For You; Dingo Lament; Dingo Rock; Images; You Must Believe In Spring; Pieces Of Dreams; The Windmills Of Your Mind; Ray Blues; Fast Food.
Details of personnel and soloists for each track are in the 20 pages booklet in French and in English.
Ripped from CD @ 320 with complete artwork for your listening pleasure:
http://rapidshare.com/files/167717145/MichelLegrandBigBand.rar
Enjoy
@ quinlan
Thank you so much for sharing this tremendous CD!
@ Quinlan - Thank you for another marvelous Legrand recording!
@ mel
Hi pal
A little bird told me that you were looking for a particular Tete Montoliu track.
I have the four albums (TMILTP). If you're patient enough, they will be here in the not too distant future.
Cheers
@ quinlan
You're fantastic!
You know me - I am a very patient guy.
And that little bird sure gets around....
Regards.
Between June 1952 and October 1954, the great producer Norman Granz supervised 9 Jam Sessions with the best Jazz musicians of that time.
Just a few names will convince you: Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson, Barney Kessel, Ray Brown, Harry Edison, Stan Getz, Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Roy Eldridge, Lionel Hampton, Dizzy Gillespie, Herb Ellis, Louie Bellson and many others. No need to add anything to this dream list.
These sessions were released on LPs and later on 5 CDs in a fine box set which I'd like to share here.
All details relating to the tracks, the sessions and the musicians are in the detaiked 72 pages booklet included with the complete artwork of each disc.
CD 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/169046082/TCNGCD1_JS_1__2_.rar
CD 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/169050726/TCNGCD2_JS_3__4_.rar
CD 3
http://rapidshare.com/files/169055273/TCNGCD3_JS_5__6_.rar
CD 4
http://rapidshare.com/files/169060475/TCNGCD4_JS_7__8_.rar
CD 5
http://rapidshare.com/files/169064197/TCNGCD5_JS_9_.rar
Booklet & Box
http://rapidshare.com/files/169066184/TCNGBooklet_Box.rar
Listen with respect and delight.
@ quinlan
Great post! Thank you so much.
My best.
This one is for my good friend mel and for all the piano solo lovers in general and Catalan maestro Tete Montoliu's fans in particular.
The Music I Like To Play_Volume 1, containing Bobby Hutcherson's "Little B's Poem".
http://rapidshare.com/files/169269749/TMThe_MusicILikeToPlay_Vol.1.rar
The other three volumes will be posted promptly;
Enjoy
@ quinlan
I cannot thank you enough for this - you are a lifesaver, pal!
Looking forward to the others as well.
I have been a great fan of Tete Montoliu for many years and I most certainly will enjoy.
Downbeat Review;
Recorded in Rome in 1968 this session captures the legendary Paris-based ensemble formed by the pioneering bebop drummer and the talented Belgian pianist arranger at its peak, a period when its tight unison playing of Boland's lively charts brought it as close to big band perfection as was possible east of Kansas City.
In addition to the ubiquitous Mondo Cane theme More, the CD includes inventive arrangements of Trovaioli's ballad Roma nun fà la stupida stasera and the theme to Divorce Italian Style.
Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band - More (Recorded in July 17,1968, Rome)
1. Seven Golden Men (from "Sette Uomini D'Oro") [A.Trovajoli]
2. Je M'en Fous (from "Mondo Cane") [M.Ciorciolini - N.Oliviero - R.Ortolani]
3. Your Smile (from "Tre Notti D'Amore") [P.Piccioni]
4. Questi vent' anni miei (from "Malamondo") [F.Torti - G.Castaldo - E.Morricone]
5. Passerella Di Otto E Mezzo (from "8 1/2") [N.Rota]
6. Roma Nun Fa' La Stupida Stasera (from "Rugantino") [P.Garinei - S.Giovannini - A.Trovajoli]
7. More (from "Mondo Cane") [N.Newell - M.Ciorciolini - N.Oliviero - R.Ortolani]
8. Canto d'Amore (from "Divorzio All'Italiana") [N.Nicotra - C.Rustichelli]
9. Voglio Bene Al Mondo (from "Mondo Cane 2") [F. Torti - G. Castaldo - N. Oliviero]
10. La hara De La Verdad (from "Il Momento Della Verita") [P.Piccioni]
11. Saxology (not ost) [M.Bertolazzi]
http://rapidshare.com/files/172933382/KC_FBBB-MR.rar
@ H2o - Awesome!
@ all
Just to let you know that the link lists thru November are now posted.
It's a bit earlier than last month but still not quite what I want to achieve in terms of deadline.
Hope to do better next month in spite of the Christmas and New Year's Eve which may be hard to get over...
@ Don Ellis fans -
Odd to notice that without knowing I picked this up on the 30th anniversary of Don Ellis' passing.
December 17th, 1978.
"A Simplex One" 1960 Cd @320
by Don Ellis
featuring
Jaki Byard
Ron Carter
Charlie Persip
http://rapidshare.com/files/174711883/DE_A_SimplexOne.zip
1. A Simplex One
2. Waste
3. Improvisational Suite # 1
4. How Time Passes
5. Sallie
EnjoY!
@ isbum
Thanks for the Don Ellis. There's an intriguing tune title in there...
Post a Comment