Question: is this confined to actual B'way/Off B'way productions or can we post the soundtracks of Broadway shows that have been transferred to the screen as well?
A wonderful addition to the FRANKLYNOT family...one I've fruitlessly sought but didn't have the savvy to create myself. I can't wait to contribute and discover new gems myself. One question: is this limited to OOP and bootleg items or are new releases, still to be found retail, fair game?
@ rodtross - Glad you asked that, let's handle this as we have all along, nothing brand spanking new, let's stay in the clear by posting year old or possibly out of print show Cd's. Brand new will bring us unwanted attention from cheap skates and web browsers who may have little interest in this place. If something is rather new, I would appreciate it staying available for a short period of time, (for regular visitors only) say a day or two.
Hope that's good for you rodtross, let's put on some shows and have fun with it!
The curtain rises shortly with the original Broadway Cast Album of THE SECRET GARDEN, an overlooked and misjudged adaptation of the Frances Hodgson Burnett novel. I saw it at the St. james Theatre with its original cast, and wept copiously at the emotional pull of this young, orphaned girl finding strength in a hidden, dying garden. Link to follow.
A demo CD sampler, handed out as promotional during its 12-second run, for Joe Brooks' IN MY LIFE. You'll remember Joe...the Grammy and Oscar-winning creator of YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE. His creative vision intuited what Broadway's Music Box theatre needed was a musical about...autism. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2PYBWONE
And here's a pre-Broadway CD sampler from HAIRPSRAY; I believe it was recorded in Seattle. Some mixes and vocals are markedly different from the final OBC. http://rapidshare.com/files/101797218/Hairspray_Sampler.rar.html
Interesting and unknown to me material, as I'm not only "Off Off Broadway" but also Off Off Off the American Continent. Hardly any new and worthwhile musical theatre is being staged in these parts.
I appreciate when you add some info to accompany your uploads. Thanks isbum and rodtross for these shares. I'll go now to find out the collaborators of 'The Secret Garden'. ___
@ David79801, The links to the "The Good Companions" have worked for me, a few hours ago. I tested them again now, and they are still OK.
For this wonderful new place, I humbly offer the very first stage show I ever saw. Needless to say, from that day on I was hooked.
As a young uni student, we had a little thing called "student rush", where you could grab unsold show tickets for the price of a beer and pie. From the mega-shows to tiny amateur theatre in grungy cellars, I saw 'em all. Half a world away from the lights of Broadway, but still mesmerizing.
The Rocky Horror Show was a worldwide smash, and Australia was no different. Our Frankenfurter was played by a most talented fellow by the name of Reg Livermore, who starred in many one-man shows throughout the 70s. Time warp on, back to this off off Broadway gem...
PS. Take the risk folks, this is a top notch performance of the show that broke the mould. For more info on the Original Australian Cast Recording, look here, although personally I think they are being a little harsh. It's a knockout!
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been waiting for something like this!
I have a huge collection of Broadway and off Broadway and foreign musical albums, many of which are out of print, that I'd love to share.
Here are my first two offerings. The first a nearly impossible to get off Broadway revue I saw in NY years ago, Scrambled Feet: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHQ512H6
The next, the off Broadway musical of the cult film Eating Raoul: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WQLUS2MY
Below is the LINK for the Broadway Cast album of GRAND HOTEL, the Tune-directed musical. It's not precisely the original Broadway cast...the cast album was long-delayed to wrangling among various composers and authors and, by its recording, cast member David Carroll (The Baron) was grievously ill from AIDS-related complications. He, in fact, died at RCA studios attempting to record his numbers; his stage replacement Brent Barrett assumed his duties. But the CD preserves a live recording of his ballad 'Love Can't Happen.' http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E6M60NR8
Here's the 1993 Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i7qoyz
It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman OBC (one of my favorite little known musicals in fact): http://www.sendspace.com/file/hu952g
And in honor of the above post for Grand Hotel, a little something from the same composers - The Anastasia Affaire (not my link): http://rapidshare.com/files/51163651/Anastasia_Affaire__Original_Cast_Recording_.rar
@ mindy - Well, now you gave my roommate the Snoopy "Happy Feet" dance! With all the candy he's had for Easter, I think this may go on until the downstairs neighbors come up and tell him to go to bed!
Until I can get him to settle down, let me say thank you very much for these shares!
I am really happy that you've joined us on the stage. Take a bow!
A curious collectible for the GREY GARDENS fans...a 1976 interview with Little Edie Beales, conducted by Walter Newkirk. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=34ATEK9I
CLOSER TO HEAVEN was the Pet Shop Boys' attempt, with Jonathan harvey, at a musical in 2001. It already seems dated and, hence, not at all suited for a belated Broadway transfer but, oh! those Billie Trix numbers! How can you resist a song dedicated to Caligula? http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OI7UMC9N
Here are links for the London recording of the superbly conceived and realized Sam Buntrock production of Sondheim & Lapine's Sunday in the Park with George.
I'm not feeling well (when isn't that the case?) but I will say that both lead character's "processes" become totally known --
Seurat's through the amazing animation of his work from three charcoal lines to the finished Grand Jatte --
Dot's through her becoming a character who listens to herself as she speaks/sings.
As iconic as Patinkin and Peters are in the original, the humanity and the troubled connection between each character (and their superbly conducted relationships with their inner selves) transcends it.
And, yes, the second act comes very near to the power of the first through its surprising and rewarding emotional rawness.
At the end.... George gasps. The audience joins him.
I loved watching it albeit (like everyone else seated near me) through tears.
Finally, Buntrock reveals Lapine as a greater playwright than Lapine revealed Lapine to be.
Sondheim/Lapine: Sunday In The Park With George (The New Sam Buntrock Production)
Part 1 http://www.mediafire.com/?jmnjjvjejys
Part 2 http://www.mediafire.com/?hdtd3w4cdmm
Part 3 http://www.mediafire.com/?cmbgmijusax
This last link is for the London production site: it's intro shows you the essential computer animation of La Grande Jatte from sketch to finish.
Well, in light of Chimez posting it seemed like a good time to post available links to another Lapine/Sondheim collaboration - Into the Woods.
I saw a preview of the original Broadway production and have to admit, it didn't blow me away. The general audience response seemed the same. The 1st act was great and lots of fun, the 2nd act was dubbed "into the Gloom."
However, the score has grown on me over the years - as have many of Sondheim's later works. So without further ado:
Into the Woods Original Broadway Cast http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SW1BSPZX
Into the Woods Original London Cast http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DWARIXWO
Just when things lean toward highbrow Sondheim, let's bring it down a notch. Several notches. Here's the cast recording of THE GREAT AMERICAN TRAILER PARK MUSICAL. Hey...it's live theatre...and any exposure to a proscenium is good, ain't it? http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1E117ITY
One of my favorite collaborators describes the Sondheim/Lapine second acts as ballad hell.
To me... it's not. Yes, much of it really is a distillation of what feels like years of therapy. But in those particular songs are some of the more powerful reflections of my lifetime.
To return to my last comment about Sunday... Lapine may not always make the best case for his own work. I've noticed how he doesn't trust the audience... his direction goes for the obvious too often. The first London production of Into The Woods was notably different: it wasn't portraying itself as Disney meets Bettelheim but as something more dark and feral. You don't find a lot of the distance of "stylizing" in it and it could scare you and, finally, for a bit, relieve you.
The producer (and publisher and motivator) of the Anastasia was Frank Loesser -- who really was truly generous to other composers in very effective ways.
I've never heard the Anastasia -- it's a truly exciting thing.
I love The Good Companions -- I got lucky around ten years ago and found the CD when it was still in print.
An old friend worked on a bunch of reissues with Mercer for Book of the Month Club and had a few dinners with Mercer and his wife in London.
Mercer was deeply disappointed with himself for never writing what he felt was a genuinely successful Broadway show. He had had real hopes for Good Companions and working with Previn (who is kind of too talented so the remarkable facets of his career -- jazz pianist, music director, composer and conductor -- never get the singular praise they all deserve -- it just kind of gets s-p-r-e-a-d out).
But the show was one of a quite a few in theater history that opened during a newspaper strike: those are merciless things to plays around the world.
So Good Companions never built up the cred to be moved to Broadway. (It was also not a time for importing British musicals -- even when they were written by a pair of Americans.)
There's always hope that it will turn up in NYC in the City Center Encores! series... as there was for Blitzstein's Juno which actually will get performed this spring.
OK - since isbum said it was alright, I've decided to post at least part of my wishlist.
I hope it doesn't seem like I'm being greedy. Most of these are pretty rare (a lot are LP only), so I don't really expect to get them, just throwing them out there in case some generous souls have them.
*All About Love (The 1998 Musical Based on Plato's Symposium) by Mark Arnest
*Arabian Nights (1954 by John Jacob Loeb and Carmen Lombardo)
*Promotional recording for "Bagdad Cafe, the musical" - not the film soundtrack
*Belle (Original London Cast) *Blackbirds of 1928 (any cast) *Cyrano (1971 Maltby & Shire version) *Dearest Enemy (any version) *Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1978 Original London Cast)
*Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be (1960 London Studio cast with composer Lionel Bart also performing)
*Freedomland USA (1960 NY Cast) *I Married An Angel * I, Elliot Rosewater aka God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater demo (this was floating around the net for awhile but I missed it)
*James Joyce's The Dead (2004 Pittsburgh Irish Theatre)
*On the Town (1963 Original London Cast) *Oh, Coward! *Our Man Chrichton (1964 Original London cast) *Paul Sill's Story Theatre (1970 w/ music by Bob Dylan, george Harrison and Country Joe McDonald)
*Trixie True, Teen Detective *Upstairs at O'Neals (1983 NY cabaret show) *Utter Glory of Morissey Hall (1979 Original Broadway Cast)
*What's a Nice Country Like You Doing In a State Like This (1976 Original London Cast)
Plus any foreign language versions of Godspell, Guys and Dolls, Sweet Charity, Urinetown and The Wiz
Hope this isn't too much. In return, I have more than 1500 cast recordings, so request away!
Those WPAshman/Menkens were just some of the best things ever.
I do have a request. I had a copy of the Trevor Nunn My Fair Lady which ran off at 3 o'clock in the morning and is now staying with my mother. (I still can't find my slippers.)
Saturday night I got to see it on tour in Newark.
I talk a lot but this time there just aren't words -- best, most complete and inventive production of it I've seen.
And Christopher Cazenove (who Former Young People may remember as the young male lead on The Duchess of Duke Street) has just enough of the cat in his features to suggest Rex Harrison --
But as an actor he is full brother to Albert Finney in his size, his power and his total disinterest in being liked by the audience.
So Higgins is an actual person. As is Eliza.
Do you have a copy of that CD to upload? I actually think this cast is better than the one on the record: I also saw a doc on Ovation about how the show was developed and that sort of confirms it.
It's actually one of the best American ensembles I've ever seen onstage. And the Alfred Doolittle and Col. Pickering are two of the best guys in theater or anywhere else -- Tim Jerome and Walter Charles.
Usually when a composer writes a score to a book, it's, well, a libretto.
Loesser wrote this score for the novel. It was a great success in the theater of his brain.
On B'way... less so.
It's really truly terrific. The book issues continue as Jo Sullivan Loesser keeps trying find ones that work for it... Senor Discretion Himself... Pleasures and Palaces.... etc., etc.
By the way -- Maury Yeston is back to where he was with Grand Hotel -- he is "finishing" another score, this time Loesser's Hans Christian Andersen... third go round for that one (one of which was very successful in London -- and if you like Tommy Steele, good for you!)
The First Night Records cast recording of London's long-running BLOOD BROTHERS, with Kiki Dee as Mrs. Johnstone. Poverty forces a pregnant mother to give away -- improbably -- one of her twin sons, with the disastous results and smatterings of vaudeville typical of a UK fable. www.megaupload.com/?d=FTPUC67K
OK, I figured it out. I have to be very careful to get whole link when I copy-and-paste, the column cuts some of it off.
Based on comments, this is quite an eclectic group, I hope I fit in!
For the record, I saw "In My Life" and while it wasn't good, it wasn't nearly as bad as its reputation. I didn't see "Dance a Little Closer," but I really like the score, so I offer it here. It's my first post anywhere, so I hope I get it right. Be gentle --
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EI6XWZUO
And as for requests, if anyone has "Wildcat" (Lucille Ball), "Take Me Along" (Jackie Gleason) or "Fanny" (Florence Henderson), I'll be exraordinarily happy, and grateful.
PS -- I can upload Victor/Victoria (Helen Schneider) if there's interest.
@ David79801 - I love the score to Dance a Little Closer! I was thinking of uploading it myself as a gift. Don't know why it has such a bad rep.
And I'd love the Victor/Victoria. I can upload Wildcat and Fanny tomorrow too. I have Take Me Along, but the CD I copied had a slight stutter on one of the songs, so it's imperfect. I'll upload it, but if someone has a better copy that would be great.
@ chimezatmidnight. Just found this old but working link for Titanic. Not mine, but the uploader is good and open to pass-alongs: http://rapidshare.com/files/95788553/TM.rar
@ all - I love this site. It's the site I've been dreaming of.
Wow, you guys are on a mega-roll in here. Makes my Rocky Horror Show and planned next share of Carrie: The Musical look decidedly like it should be buried somewhere underneath the West End.
A request if I may. Looking for "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown", original 1967 cast recording.
There is a better, more passionate Strouse melody than There's Always One You Can't Forget.
Terfel's version is good and I won't be surprised if it turns out Cariou's imprint is all over it once I hear it.
Lerner was treated disgracefully by NY critics in the seventies.
I think things hit a nadir when the Bernstein family virtually wiped him off the CD covers (front and possibly back) of A White House Cantata.
Alex Bernstein got it right. He said someone should use the score to make a piece of music theater about these two hugely interesting and unsuitable partners as the play came tumbling down.
Funny thing is... it is wonderful to hear and Lerner's lyrics are among the very best Bernstein ever had to set.
For the TER recordings of Coward's Bittersweet, Kismet and Goodbye Mr. Chips (still Bricusse but cleaves to the Hilton novel -- like Good Companions stars John Mills).
Reviewing the abysmal vinyl versions I have that didn't translate so well to CD, I have some requests: BEEHIVE LEADER OF THE PACK RUNAWAYS and THE REAL THING (Glenn Close/Jeremy Irons)
The Original London Cast Recording of MARTIN GUERRE -- perhaps not-so-rare, but in my mind an underappreciated work from the LES MIZ team of Boublil and Schonberg. They were due for a fall after LES MIZ and MISS SAIGON, and this was it...PIRATE QUEEN notwithstanding. (I saw the Chicago trout and was thunderstruck at how "hired hand" they'd become.)
P.S. Seeing some of the rarities being offered here, I feel downright pressured...some of my best stuff is at my vacation house in Key West FL, so my April trip down will presumably yield some treasures.
I've now listened twice to Dance A Little Closer and it's pretty much ingrained/endeared itself to me.
And, yes, Lerner directed it... which was a big part of the problem as his talents were not only brilliantly literary but almost as brilliant musically which had been his heart's ambition -- and despite his having, as Fritz Loewe marveled, the most complete technical understanding of Viennese music tradition of any man he ever knew, could write two decent notes together.
@ chimezatmidnight Here's Most Happy Fella with Weede and Sullivan: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8dj0t6
I'll upload the Loesser/Edelmann Guys & Dolls later. Looking forward to Goodbye Mr. Chips, that's one I've never heard.
@ Rodtross A link for Leader of the Pack (special thanks to the person who originally uploaded it for me last week!) http://rapidshare.com/files/100796562/pack.rar
I can do Runaways and Beehive later this week if nobody else posts it first.
@ Filmpac -- I can also post You're A Good Man Charlie Brown Original Cast if nobody else does first.
@ David79801 - didn't forget about you. Wildcat and Fanny should be up later tonight.
Thanks, Mindy, for LEADER OF THE PACK. Anxious to hear it without the warbling, skips, hiss and pops I've become so accustomed to from my own rip from years back.
I'm a (what else?) most happy fella tonight -- left my set years ago at the home of someone who refused to return it!
mindy & rodtross & every other good neighbor,
Here is the link to Blue Gobo, a music theater video archive site. You probably know it and, if you don't, there's a lot of fun awaiting you.
http://www.bluegobo.com/
And here, for tonight, is a link to a first anniversary celebration for the Broadway production of Fanny.
http://www.bluegobo.com/production.php?var=10185
Ed Sullivan and Joshua Logan take a lot of lovely time discussing and presenting long excerpts from the show... particularly the sequence from the Pagnol originals which Logan says made them want to (or have to) adapt it... the night Marius returns.
The cast? Ezio Pinza, Walter Slezak, Florence Henderson, William Tabbert.
And here is the link for the Fanny OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/ner7wr
and the Wildcat OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/iulyow
For those not familiar with it, Wildcat is a Cy Coleman musical from 1960, most famous for starring Lucille Ball and featuring the song "Hey Look me Over."
If there is anybody on here who is not familiar with it, I highly recommend finding a copy of The TheaterMania Guide to Musical Theater Recordings. It's from 2004 and I don't agree with the ratings on many albums, but it's great for background info and learning about shows you've never heard of.
My daughter (who is 20) will love and puzzle simultaneously over Logan's film of Fanny: why not the score?
When I watch the film (which I like) or when I see the original Pagnol trilogy films... the experience only deepens my admiration for Harold Rome and Logan and (never forget him no matter how much it hurts) David Merrick.
To me Pinza seems a lot happier playing Cesar than he did The Love Object in South Pacific. Yes, he had two of the greatest ballads ever and one of the greatest "thought" duets there...
But look at what Cesar gets to express!!!
How many times as a single parent have I sung to myself "Love Is A Very Light Thing"? (Lots. Also more lots!) And again I admire how adroitly Rome almost directly set one of Pagnol's finest speeches in one of his best scenes.
Now... if anyone's interested in another face of The Greatest Bass-Baritone Singer/Actor of the last century, I will be happy to post Met broadcasts of his Don Giovanni (in Italian, what else?) and Boris Godunov (in Italian, WTF??) on that underserving idiot's concert hall blog.
@ brobrer - I'll upload Rocky Horror OLC tonight. And somewhere I have the original Whorehouse.
Funny thing, I was just about to post and ask if anyone had the Whorehouse revival cast with Ann-Margaret and/or the sequel Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public, since my local library seems to have lost its copies.
@ chimezatmidnight -- I love Pagnol's trilogy, but I've never gotten into the Josh Logan film version, perhaps the foreign film snob in me! The Fanny score is OK but it is not one of my favorites, much like Kismet, it just never grabs me.
Mindy: I have the WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC...alas, it's in Key West. Should it not turn up from someone else, I'll tote it back next trip. (P.S. Its star Dee Hoty is one of the best friends of a good friend who manages on Broadway...they became best buddies on WILL ROGERS FOLLIES years ago.)
@ chimezatmidnight - so you've discovered my other favorite site! Some of those contributions are mine and I've posted some of his links here. You may start to notice that a day or so after I post something here, it will show up there.
If you've checked it out, you may have noticed both the Chita and Vanessa versions of Spiderwoman are there already.
I do, of course, have Happy Time and Steel Pier (almost pulled them when I was grabbing other stuff a few minutes ago, since I figured someone would eventually request. At least they're at the top of the stacks!)
For now, Guys & Dolls w/Loesser & Edelmann: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3hhqru
And I 2nd the request for Man of La Mancha w/Criswell and Raines.
@ Rodtross - funny, Dee Hoty is from my hometown: Cleveland, so I know "of her" very well. Oddly, a 58-yr-old, Cleveland born actor Tony Hoty just died and I wondered if he was Dee's brother. The obit didn't list her though. He had character roles in Tyne Daly's Gypsy and various tours of Godspell, Rocky Horror etc.
@ filmpac - haven't forgotten you. Charlie Brown really is coming. It's just a matter of in what order I find the CDs. It's ripped, now I just have to upload.
Back around 1989 I'd started work as a creative director for Chris Blackwell and his assistant asked me if I could "help" her with some people who Blackwell was keeping waiting.
There was no room in that office (which was to move to a very different and even more insane arrangment across West 4th Street) for anyone, anything, any work, any sex and it was too loud for any concentration.
Of course, there was no waiting room.
However, there were people waiting there. So I grabbed one of the Zach from Saved By The Bell era cellphones and was gonna take whoever the hell it was out to The Time Cafe.
"Whoever" was Adolph Green, Betty Comden, Cy Coleman,Tommy Tune and Pierre Cossette... trying to pitch "Will Rogers" to anyone at Polygram.
Well, we had a great lunch. And the cellphone never rang with that call to tell us Chris was ready to see 'em.
So I just brought 'em back upstairs and into Chris' office where he was sitting with Neville Garrett (the original Rasta Rooster, great guy and Marley's art director).
I introduced everyone to Chris. He was gracious, they pitched quickly and his confusion was overtaken by boredom and restlessness.
So they left.
And this was the postlude:
Chris: Do you have any idea of who those people were??
What makes the story even sillier is that Blackwell's most excellent mother was Noel Coward's best friend who got him to move to Jamaica to be with her and her extramarital sweetie Ian Fleming.
I got sent to Jamaica often to do a lot of demanding and often dangerous things.
But I insisted on one other gig -- restoring Coward's lovely home, Firefly, and creating a security arrangement around his grave that would replace the wrought iron birdcage that had been put up after the site had been violated several times.
I love Seesaw, too. (I even remember when John Lindsay did a walk-on for a doubletake with Ken Howard.
The older I get, the less I associate any Lerner with second tier for terribly long in any score. I am looking for an interview Maury Yeston did a few years back in the Dramatist's Guild mag about Lerner's generosity to him.
(I think that was also the issue that told the story about the pre-Joe Darion set of lyrics for Man of La Mancha...
By the still amazing (if fraying) W.H. Auden.
That Cabaret production at Theater Des Westens was the first ever in Germany. And the director was the same Helmut Baumann (who also played the M.C. and was Intendent of the theater) did only amazing things with it.
In Germany Helen was first known as "The Gypsy" because when she got there (as one of many "Jerry Weintraub exiles" who JW had gotten blacklisted in the US) she switched to hard rock and was produced in Berlin by Jimmy Iovine.
Then she quickly became "Our Helen"... in musicals, in opera, on film and TV. I believe it was because Schneider really embodies the intellectual pansexual Jewish Lulu of the pale they thought they had wiped out -- and they were SO happy to have her back (and could even see the little wisps of zyclon gas coming off of her).
Theater des Westens was a great place to work under Helmut and with Helen as its diva. When it finally got caught up in the financial sucking chest wound of German reunification, Helmut Helen moved on brilliantly.
By the way -- Helmut was both a Balanchine dancer and protege. GB first set him up as the director of the Koln Ballet... and then had him move on to music theater as the avatar of Balanchine's musical sensibility.
@ chimezatmidnight - I had a friend here who lived the early part of his career acting in New York. He told me a (possibly?)true story of a famous producer or critic who died just as the curtain went up on a shows opening night. Do you have any idea of who he might have been referring to? Arthur and I tried to drink the bars of Hollywood dry between '87 and '90, so his oft' told stories were deposited in several unreliable memory banks.
I'd have to say it was Gower Champion who had a lymphoma called Waldenstrom's which, like many of these so-called indolent lymphomas and a leukemia, is a slow killer.
Champion died famously on the day of his comeback with 42nd Street in 1980.
David Merrick kept the cast -- including Champion's lover who played the ingenue/lead -- uninformed throughout the day and the premiere.
Many ovations, etc... and Merrick comes out to make the announcement.
Orbach yells to bring the curtain DOWN. As he said years later in a documentary, "I had to. We all had egg on our face."
It became a legend.
And when I FINALLY saw the show during its 2001 revival... I was shocked because the stage version completely departed from what moves the original movie and what had become so associated with the show in the public's mind --
The director of this version ISN'T dying!!!!!
Just short on cash from the stock market crash.
Gower Champion in life and Warner Baxter on screen were facing the same great challenge. I think they should have amended the libretto (which is really just blackouts) to get a little more power in it and more homage to the original and especially to the brave Champion.
Was going to upload this one but I think you should check this site out. Back in May of 2007, Tony from "Way Out Junk" posted a real rarity: the concept album for "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" featuring Orson Bean as CB. Link to the site is here.
@ David79801 - just downloaded the Victor/Victoria mit Helen Schneider and am looking forward to hearing it, but forgive my ignorance - what is an ace file and how do I open it?
I'm using a mac if that makes a difference. Can I just change it to zip or rar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
@ all - singingstage just posted Dearest Enemy 1981 Studio Cast, so you can take that off my request list, although if anyone has the earlier TV cast recording that would still be swell.
Boy it's quiet tonight after all the activity the past couple days!
Since nobody seems to be able to fill any of my 1st pass at requests, I thought I'd post a few more:
*Berlin is Mine (Lincoln Center Cast) *Divorce Me, Darling (Chichester Festival Cast) *Great American Backstage Musical *Hannah...1939 OOBC *Invade My Privacy OLC *Joseph McCarthy is Alive and Living in Dade County OCR *Lingoland OOBC *Look Ma, I'm Dancing *Mask and Gown *No For an Answer *Plymouth Rock - The 1st American Rock Opera *Texas, Li'l Darlin' *Two Svengalis *When Midnight Strikes OLC *You Can't Run Away from IT
I'm plum outta anything approaching rarities. Short of me and a kazoo doing "You'll Never Walk Alone," I won't be posting much until I unearth stuff off my shelves Southward.
Thank you so much for the Robert Weede Most Happy Fella - chimez and I have been looking for it for ages.
I'm sorry but I don't have anything that you have requested. Wish I did...
You may be able to help me with a request.
Now that we’re venturing into London territory, I have been searching for Ace of Clubs (Noel Coward), specifically for the song Three Juvenile Delinquents – Colin Kemball, Peter Tuddenham, Norman Warwick – if you or anyone has it could you please post it?
Original Broadway Casts Ben Franklin In Paris - 1964 Do Re Mi - 1960 Flower Drum Song - 1958 A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum - 1962 Guys And Dolls - 1950 No Strings - 1962 Two By Two - 1970
Original London Cast Stop The World – I Want To Get Off - 1961
With thanks in advance to anyone who can help with any of the above.
@ di(aphanous - no offense taken. We haven't really discussed bitrates on here.
I prefer 160 due to computer/ipod space limitations, and length of time to upload - I'm using DSL that maxes out at about 30kbps.
But if possible I will post at whatever rate people want. Basically depends on if I'm using a commercial CD or something someone has sent me.
If someone else can't do it I will post Into the Woods at 320, it may take a week or so. I happen to have access to 2 huge library systems plus several small ones, so I can get a lot on commercial CD. Which leads me to....
@isbum - Don't have that Joseph (yet) but can get it easily enough - see above -- and was planning to eventually.
Don't know what the protocol is, but wanted to ask you if it is OK if I let folks at a couple other broadway music sites that are on, shall we say, "hiatus" know that they can come here?
Sorry I seem so anxious about getting more postings here, I tend to be a bit obsessive/compulsive about both sharing and adding to my collection. You should see my film collection! Even worse.
@ Mel -- don't have Ace of Clubs (I'd like it too), but I do have everything else you requested. Give me a couple days. And do you have bitrate requests? Nothing will be below 128, most will be 160 and a few I can do higher.
Thank you very much. Although I like to upload at the best bit rate (320) to satisfy others I personally don't mind even 128 - my old ears cannot hear any difference anyway. Whatever suits you will be fine.
You're doing a wonderful job - keep 'em coming!
If you're into Hollywood Musicals soundtracks, keep your eyes open for a new shop Downtown - to be opening under the name "Sallie & Mel's Golden Age of Hollywood".
@ mel - didn't realize you were THAT mel of Sallie's & Mel's. I am looking forward to your "shop."
My big want is It's Always Fair Weather. I have it on vinyl but am completely inept at transfering to digital and none of my many libraries have copies that weren't stolen.
If you and Sally have any requests for your shop, let me know and I'll see if any of my libraries have stuff.
Yes, I have been completely overwhelmed. Taking a day off felt like a week!
@Mindy:
re ace files (Victor mit Helen): I don't have a clue. Try everything, and let me know how it all turns out. This is all new to me, I just insert the disk and trust my computer. If you have very basic instructions to do it differently, please advise.
re Fair Weather: I only have the Dolores Gray tracks, perhaps they will hold you until someone who has the whole thing posts it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VSI9Q428
re Look Ma: on the chance you wanted the Nancy Walker version, here it is.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B2DVB71S
But they both seem to be ace files. I don't know why, or how to change it, or if it makes a difference . . .
Speaking of impossible dreams, are there rips from vinyl anywhere of AT LONG LAST LOVE, or the movie version of JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL . . . ?
Thanks for your nice words and for your kind offer to help. I don't have It's Always Fair Weather and we'll have to wait for Sallie to unpack all her stuff after moving at the beginning of April but I'll ask her anyway.
I do know that we're looking for the 22-track version of the soundtrack of Oklahoma!, if you can find it.
@ mindy - If by "Fair Weather" you mean the movie soundtrack, then yes, I have that one and am happy to post it.
@ mel - Great news on the new musicals shop, I'm really looking forward to having you & Sallie together again. Are we talking soon? Reason I ask, should I wait for the new store to post "Fair Weather", or just go ahead and do it here? Cheers mate.
@ isbum -- not sure what site you had in mind with the lovely cover scans etc., but I was thinking of "My Little Corner: A (free) one-stop-shop for all your demo, sampler, and out-of-print cast recordings need!"
They haven't posted since July 07, but I know myself and some others stop by to see if they're back and I thought I'd direct people here.
Also, there's a few people I do regular trading with on castalbums.org who might want to check in. All honest and trustworthy.
@david79801 - I did a google search and was directed to shareware called unaceX, which seemed to open the ace files pretty well. I listened to Victor/Victoria last night in fact. Didn't expect some of the songs to be in English.
Thanks so much for Look, Ma! The Nancy Walker version was what I was looking for. And now I can open the files. Yeah. Also thanks for the Dolores Gray tracks, although I think I will take filmpac up on his offer.
I have 4-5 versions of Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well, but not the movie soundtrack - yet. I'll keep an eye out.
@filmpac - if you can post the soundtrack to It's Always Fair Weather that would be wonderful. It is the only thing left on my list of vinyl cast albums/soundtracks I haven't replaced with digital.
PS. Thanks for the Charlie Brown, not to mention everything else you've been sharing with us. You've been, well, swell! I've never even heard of most of these shows, but it'll be fun learning. I feel like a complete stage n00b now... which sadly I am nowadays.
PPS. I really wasn't joking about "Carrie: The Musical" either. I have a bootleg from the ultra short Stratford run... but now I need to run, so will have to be another time. Unless you really don't want me to lower the tone of the room.
@ isbum - I have Ruthless. I love it! Although one review of the cast album I read probably rightly said that if you didn't know the plot, you likely won't be able to figure it out via the album
I saw it in NY years ago and it was a complete hoot. It's the Bad Seed meets All About Eve. Very campy. The album is of a later LA cast since the NY one was apparently never recorded.
It's kind of funny now, but Laura Bell Bundy currently getting mild reviews as the star of Legally Blonde the Musical was the child lead when I saw Ruthless and she was fantastic. One of those kid actors with a big voice and a lot of presence. I was a bit sad to read that she apparently hasn't lived up to her potential.
Anyhow I'll post ASAP unless someone else has it ready to go. And I'll try to send along a plot summary. Speaking of which...
@ filmpac - you made me realize that one thing I haven't done is provide a lot of info about the shows I'm posting. Chimezatmidnight is much better about that than me, I'm afraid. Feel free to ask for more info.
I really should post at least the composer and performers to help you decide if it's worth downloading. I'm such a fanatic, I think almost anything is worth at least a listen or two.
Along that line, the Carrie bootleg would be great. I just got a workshop recording I haven't even listened to yet, so it would be cool to compare.
I've heard a really bad Broadway bootleg, which despite my great love of all things Betty Buckley (even Eight is Enough) was hard to listen to, but that was partly a quality issue.
And I can't thank you enough for It's Always Fair Weather. Haven't heard it in years, since I no longer have a working turntable.
Thank you so much for Ben Franklin In Paris and for Stop The World I Want To Get Off. All the shows I requested are old friends but I heaven't heard them in years...
Hi You All! Just was introduced to this forum and have found so much here that I thought I would try to put something back in. Here is Wish You Were Here & Paint Your Wagon (1953 original London casts)@192 (1953) Wish You Were Here & Paint Your Wagon (original London cast).zip I have quite a few of what I call the best of the worst musicals in my collection and am going to try to post a few here. Young Frankenstein - The Musical (2007 origial broadway cast) comes to mind. hehehe Again, thanks for all the fine music!
@ lesserdevil - Glad you found us, welcome! If you or anyone else wishes to share newer (in print/available) Cd's of music, I would greatly appreciate them being taken off this site after 48 hours or so has passed.
I can do it, you can do it, we just should do it so we don't draw the ire of any record companies or zealous delete freaks.
Don't what I can do about this as all my CDs are "in print" and I would like to be able to share...I think I will just leave it up to you to remove my shares as you like. Anyway, here is Hello Dolly! (1964 Original Broadway Cast)@192 (1964) Hello Dolly! (Broadway Deluxe Collectors Edition OBC).zip This is one of my favorites and I hope you all enjoy it as well.
@ isbum -- I'm very very interested in the Last Session, so far my efforts to get it have been fruitless. No library copies to lend and I've ordered it from a certain online megastore, but they just sent me an e-mail saying they don't know when or if it will ever ship.
Two other semi-rare musicals are suffering the same fate as well. You try to do the right thing and buy these and you still can't get ahold of them!! OK, rant over.
Don't know what Living in the Bonus Round is, but I'm always open to anything I've never heard of.
And Ruthless is on it's way this evening.
@ mel and everyone else - can someone else post the Guys & Dolls 1950 OBC cast for mel - and me. I was sure I had it on CD - I practically wore out my vinyl copy when I was younger - but I could not find it "to save my soul" today.
I can probably get it from the library if nobody else has it.
@ mindy - Bootleg for the Stratford-On-Avon production, no official cast recording ever made. Not surprising considering the show closed in such record time. You probably know more about this show's history than me, but suffice to say had it been The Producers they'd have made a motza. Comes on two discs, probably the entire production...
@ mel & mindy - Thought I had Guys 'N' Dolls, but now I'm not finding it either. Will try and shake one down later.
@ lesserdevil - Hey Lesser, what happened to your avatar on that second post? Don't make me come down there, the big feller ain't gonna be happy and you'll never get that promotion;)
@Filmpac The avatar thing...I seem to have to open a new account everytime I post here...new password and I need to be sure to edit profile so that an avatar is in place. Very strange as I use the same password everytime but the only way it allows me to post is if I open an account each time. It just rejects the username and password unless I do. *lesserdevil shruggs
Here are two less well-known Kander & Ebb musicals that chimezatmidnight asked for.
The Happy Time OBC won a Tony for the late Robert Goulet and also stars one of my favorites, the delightful David Wayne. Apparently before this it was a popular book, play and even a Stanley Kramer film with Charles Boyer - none of which are familiar to me.
The Happy Time OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/zb41wl
Steel Pier from 1997 is one of the last Kander-Ebb collaborations. It's about a Depression-era dance marathon and features Debra Monk, Karen Ziemba, Danield McDonald, Gregory Harrison and Kristin Chenowith in a small part (only 1 song).
Steel Pier (1997 Original Broadway Cast) http://www.sendspace.com/file/unvyzi
And finally one of Mel's requests, the 1962 Richard Rodger's musical No Strings, an inter-racial romance starring Diahann Carroll and Richard Kiley. Rodgers wrote both music and lyrics, and I would say the most well-known song is "The Sweetest Sounds..." I Ever Heard.
No Strings OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/kbxxv6
Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in any of these: By The Beautiful Sea (1954 OBC) Skyscraper (1965 OBC) Gypsy (1973 OBC) Mame (1966 OBC) Oliver! (1963 London Cast) Fanny (1954 OBC) Camelot (1960 OBC) Louisiana Purchase (1996 ONYC) Saratoga (1959 OBC) The Girl In Pink Tights (1954 OBC) Thought it might be better to see if anyone wanted them rather than to re-rip them to 192 and upload them. I keep them in my computer as .flac files for myself and for sharing. Thanks again for all the music you have shared here, I have already ordered two CDs because of what I have heard here :)
Do Re Mi - 1961 OBC - this description from castalbums.org is a good intro:
"There was a time when clowns from TV shows, movie studios rushed into Broadway. Among them was Phil Silvers, who had a moderate success on anther musical "Top Banana". This time he was joined by talented comedienne Nancy Walker. With composer Jule Styne, writer and lyricist duo Betty Comden and Adolph Green and director Garson Kanin, the show's a go. However, the lack of experience of the director slowed down the process, and the 2nd act was never finished. Although there's a rave during its premiere, the show was quickly left out of hope when the legendary "How to Succeed" opened some while later. Nonetheless, the score of this musical remain one of the funniest, brightest and wittiest score by Styne-Comden-Green trio. Stand-out tracks include the funny "Take a Job", noisy an clever "It's Legitimate", soulful "Cry Like the Wind", showstopping "What's New in the Zoo", beautifully written "Make Someone Happy" and the memorable characterization work "Ambition".
Do Re Mi OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/sxdb4z
Two By Two - 1970 OBC Danny Kaye stars in this Richard Rodgers/Martin Charnin adaptation of a Clifford Odets play about Noah and the Ark. Zero Mostel and Alan King also were considered for Noah, but the 57-year-old Kaye committed first. There's a fascinating and lengthy story about Kaye tearing some ligaments 3 months in, coming back in a wheelchair and basically ad-libbing for the rest of the run to the dismay of everyone but the audience, who ate it up. Other cast include Marilyn Cooper, Harry Goz, Joan Copeland and Madeline Kahn.
Two By Two OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/s7i2qz
and finally, the Flower Drum Song OBC. Can I assume I don't need to provide info about this classic?
Flower Drum Song OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/fz3yli
The above combination of a Comden & Green musical (Do Re Mi) and a musical Madeline Kahn (Two By Two) reminded me that once I get through the requests, if anyone is interested I'd be happy to post one of my favorite obscure musicals - On the Twentieth Century.
I saw this in previews in NY with Kahn (who didn't last too much past the opening because of "difficult" behavior), John Cullum, the legendary Imogene Coca and in his first Tony-winning role Kevin Kline. One of my all-time favorite theatre memories. Everyone was brilliant.
Happy to have found this great site and its contributors. I see that one of your most active participants, Mindy, has a want list with many (if not all) items unfilled. I have several of them, so I am happy that I can make a contribution to this forum and to her collection with an upload of Arabian Nights.
I had not listened to this for many years, so I was surprised at how good it actually is - although heavily derivative of other such shows and (of all things) Gilbert and Sullivan. The sound is fine for its vintage, but I apologize for a few instances of groove damage.
@ Mindy - whatever you have will be appreciated. Would you like Blackbirds of 1928, Every Good Boy, or Oh Coward! next? I think I have a few others as well.
@ Isbum - I really like the friendly atmosphere of this site.
I'm having a feast. Thank you so much for Do Re Mi and Two By Two.
I heard another story about Danny Kaye: A little while into the run of the show he started to change Rodgers' songs, much to the composer's ire. It is a well-known fact that Rodgers was a stickler for having his songs performed exactly as written, with no variations permitted at all. Mel Torme got into trouble with him too, when he wanted to change the phrasing of his song Blue Moon during the filming of Words And Music.
I might add that Torme and Kaye are two of my top favorites - and so is Rodgers as a composer.
Little Me - 1962 Original Broadway Cast Music by Cy Coleman; Lyrics by Carolyn Leigh; Book by Neil Simon Starring Sid Caesar, and the criminally underknown Nancy Andrews and Virginia Martin.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJ6V8DU1
And additional obscure requests:
Three Guys Naked From the Waist Down (1985 Off-Bwy cast - Michael Rupert)
I'm Getting My Act Together and Taking It on the Road (1978 Off-Bwy cast - Gretchen Cryer, Nancy Ford)
The Girl Who Came To Supper (1963 OBC - Noel Coward)
I am so happy to be in the company of people who know what I am talking about when I talk about musical theatre!
(or, in this case, loesserdevil), thank you very much for coming through with Guys And Dolls 1950. Yes, it’s Robert Alda and Vivian Blaine who created the roles.
Wow, 151 comments before I even new this exhisted. I need to pull my head out of...... more ofter. Sorry and thank you. My son will get a kick out of this.
My first contribution will be a resubmission of one of my favorite new discoveries of a short lived but very thought provoking and dork: "Parade" by Jason Robert Brown:
IBDB on Top Banana http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=1972
Phil Silvers, Rose Marie and a Johnny Mercer score, but not as good as Do Re Me. There's an odd film version of Top Banana (available on VHS) which looks as if it was filmed directly on the stage.
@Mindy Thanks for the links to Superman and Joseph, sorry I had the wrong Joseph. Isbum told me that you had some interest in “The Last Session.”
Quick little story. I first heard of this play from the “People’s Court” (something about production rights – The show won). Months later I stumbled across a production playing in a theater on Sunset Blvd. I got my tickets and went to the performance.
*Spoiler Alert*
I knew nothing about what the show was about, so I asked the person taking my ticket. She said that is was a wonderful, funny show (semi-biographical) about a musician with AIDS. The disease was going to start effecting his ability to think, so he gathered his friends to cut one last album before he committed suicide.
*End Spoiler Alert*
Now, I grew up in the AIDS era and knew people who had it and people who had succumbed from it.
I looked at her very confused and said “…and this is a funny show?” She assured me that I would be laughing a lot.
I took her at her word and sat down. After the first song, nearly drowning in my tears, I wasn’t sure I’d survive the show, but by the end, I had laughed a lot and left the show feeling uplifted. I bought the CD and the bonus CD “Living in the Bonus Round” which are demo recordings of the show used to promote and sell it.
Sorry about that, I found that copy on slsk, and it was the only copy I could find of that production. Quite a few folks had the 1992 version but only one had the 1950 version.
Thanks for the good wishes for my friend - he is doing much better - looking forward to hearing Patti Lupone's Gypsy - a good sign.
@transit & isbum -- thanks for the Last Session albums. I'm looking forward to listening to them tomorrow. I knew it was a musical about AIDS, but didn't know it was supposed to be funny. Hard to imagine. I still tear up thinking about those days.
@ buster - thanks again for Arabian Nights and now Blackbirds. I can't wait to listen.
@ david79801 -- here are the albums you requested.
3 Guys Naked from the Waist Down http://www.sendspace.com/file/laijiy
A 1985 musical by Jerry Colker & Michael Rupert about struggling stand-ups/actors. Stars Scott Bakula & John Kassir
The Girl Who Came to Supper: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mweunk
Noel Coward musical that later became the non-musical Prince and the Showgirl. The OBC stars Florence Henderson & Jose Ferrer.
I'm Getting My Act Together and Taking It On the Road OBC (this is only 128kbps because that's how it was sent to me - sorry: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xnvyk9
70s feminist musical written by Gretchen Cryer and Nancy Ford, starring Cryer.
@ mel -- I got the Guys & Dolls OBC from the library. Later tonight I'll upload Adelaide's Lament and the 4 bonus tracks from the movie.
Oddly they are all Brando songs instead of the only original song in the movie Adelaide, sung by Sinatra, which I always thought was pretty catchy. Weren't they supposed to release an OST last year?
@chimezatmidnight -- hope you are doing OK. Noticed you haven't uploaded Steel Pier yet - at least not from sendspace.
For a few days I've been kept away from this baby of isbum. I've read your answer to me regarding "Into the Woods", and also what you said about your connection speed. My reply to you is "Please, don't bother!" -- who am I? Better continue what you do for the many, than spend time to satisfy one miserable soul...
I'm sure I will not find time to download even half of that, which you an others have been pouring here. ___
@ isbum - Just managed to locate and open one small carton box, labelled MUSICALS. A quick look tells me that most probably there's nothing in it worth "competing". In view of my words to "mindy", above (and seeing the bitrates at which most uploaders rip their material):
I don't suppose, then, that your "transit" room-mate [correction - your roommate "transit"] will be interested in having Superman at a higher kbps? By the way, its damn but praise-worthy booklet is 42 pages long! If he fancies to have *that*, he must muster a lot of patience. Sorry, buddy.
@ mel -- I already uploaded Guys & Dolls with the extra tracks before I saw your note. So just discard them and enjoy Adelaide's Lament. Sorry.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wvk7ah
@ transit - about Laura Bell Bundy. Somehow I managed to miss Legally Blonde every time MTV showed it, so I can't offer an opinion.
It strikes me that several reviews I read felt she was good but a bit bland, these quotes from the NY Times being somewhat emblematic:
“Legally Blonde,” the musical, has Laura Bell Bundy, the kind of young woman who summons instant parental pride in the middle-aged. In addition to her prom-queen prettiness, she sings and dances flawlessly, and she delivers silly lines as if she meant them. But she lacks the quirkiness and irresistible watch-me egotism that a big, heroine-worshiping musical needs at its center. Imagine “Hello, Dolly!” with Shirley Jones instead of Carol Channing, and you’ll get the idea."
I did look up some other reviews, however, that I'm glad to say were much more charmed and adoring. As I said, she was spectacular in Ruthless, so I always expected big things from her.
@ di(aphanous - I really would be happy to upload Into the Woods at 320 kbps for you - I'm sure others would appreciate it too.
I've already put a hold on it at the library, so once I pick it up, it is no problem. Consider it my pleasure.
@ buster -- now that I've had a chance to listen, I have to thank you again for Arabian Nights (very cute) and especially Blackbirds of 1928.
I can't believe how great such an old recording sounds. Of course, maybe with talent like Ethel Waters and Cab Calloway singing Dorothy Fields, the medium doesn't matter.
Please let me know if you have any other requests I might be able to fill.
@ Mindy - I'm happy you enjoyed those items. I've been working on my skills in ripping from old records, so to hear they sound good to you sounds great to me (if that makes sense). Anyhow, I'll be back with another upload as soon as I have some time.
Speaking of not having time, haven't got to the Gershwin scores yet, but they are much appreciated.
For those who are not aware of its history, Blackbirds of 1928 was one of the first scores to be recorded in something like its entirety, in this case in 1932-33. The music and lyrics were by Jimmy McHugh and Dorothy Fields. The performers on these records include not only Bill Robinson and Adelaide Hall from the original cast, but Ellington, Calloway, the Mills Brothers, and Ethel Waters.
@ Any of you experts (I don't say it ironically, just a phrase like "You, Experienced Musical Buffs" didn't sound proper either)
Last night I've ripped and listened to "George Feyer plays Cole Porter". Played it back this morning, probably for the second time since I bought the CD many years ago. As I have more affinity with classical music than jazz, I cannot figure out this record — and I apologise to you.
Does this have any value and any place here? Or is it lounge-bar and elevator music?
I might upload it for a friend who enjoys uncomplicated and effortlessly digestible stuff, but am I underestimating this album? I'd appreciate any comment on it.
@ leonard bast - here are 2 links to the Chess recording you wanted. One big file on megaupload:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LTMJ9MST
or broken into 2 on rapidshare. (thanks to the original uploaders): http://rapidshare.com/files/104568438/chess_d.part1.rar http://rapidshare.com/files/104571041/chess_d.part2.rar
I'll upload Twang on Fri/Sat when I get a chance.
@ brober - I second that request for Cotton Patch Gospel - that's one I don't have.
@ transit & isbum -- let me thak you again for The Last Session uploads. Wow! I finally got to listen the other night and I'll just say that I choked up several times. Really beautiful stuff - it will definitely be going into my frequent rotation for awhile.
I have a feeling it needs repeated listenings to really absorb it all, especially since my initial response was so emotional. Brought up lots of old memories.
Also, I should be picking up Joseph with Donny Osmond tomorrow, so I'll upload it then or this weekend.
@ all -- another request from me. Once again my attempt to purchase it legally have been thwarted by the mega-conglomerates: Anyone have Musical Chairs that they can upload? Many thanks.
Mindy, thank you sooooo much, for the Danish Chess and Twang! (forthcoming). So great to finally hear a long version of Chess - completely fascinating.
Isbum - yr avatar rules! Do you have an uncut copy of the movie?
@ leonard bast - No. But I sure wouldn't mind Ridley Scott remaking it. The film (as I've seen it) has the feel of Scott's "The Duelists" mixed with a bit of the absurd humor of Monty Python or Kubrick's Strangelove. Quite a timely reminder of our governments misguided attempts to rule the unruly.
@isbum - it's a great, angry movie, but much derided at the time of release - and cut for video & DVD. So if you want to see it the way Tony Richardson intended, you can't. But its time will come!
@ Mindy - thank you for Twang! I have lifted the following from Wikipedia, as it sums the whole depressing story up neatly: "Twang! (1965) was a notorious flop and La Strada (1969), which opened on Broadway in New York City, closed after only one performance. Bart used his personal finances to try to rescue them, selling his rights to others of his works, including Oliver!, in order to generate capital. By 1972, Bart was bankrupt, with debts of £73,0000. He turned to drink, and a twenty-year period of depression ensued."
(Twang! ran for a whole week, after Bart was barred from rehearsals by the cast and director for being loaded on booze and LSD - knowing this makes the experience of listening to the recording even more, er, informative!)
La Strada was a one-performance flop with Bernadette Peters and Larry Kert. There never was a recording but a group called "Sir Julian" released an instrumental LP on United Artists. UA, when questioned, deny the recording was ever made, even after I gave them the number?? -- but I have it! Fairly recently a version was released in Australia. It was a kind of demo and very interesting but not the original cast.
Hi Folks, I was going through some of my older CDs and ripping the ones that I had missed into my computer. I thought I would rip a 192 copy of Pipe Dream (1955 original broadway cast)in case you did not have a copy. (1955) Pipe Dream (original broadway cast).zip I seem to have lost the booklet though, sorry about that. :)
@ mel -- I do have Allegro somewhere. I've been having some health problems the last few days which are limiting my activities in general - even being on the computer.
But once the migraines settle down, I'll pull it out and post it for you.
@ leonard bast & anacta - I have that La Strada demo recording if anyone wants it posted.
I never like to request without offering, so here's Rodgers and Hammerstein's ALLEGRO
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X3T1TT4Y
It's got a lot of good stuff, and the wonderful Lisa Kirk singing "The Gentleman Is A Dope" which is comic and dramatic simultaneously.
And here's Meredith Willson's HERE'S LOVE, his successor to THE MUSIC MAN and THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. It's an adaptation of "The Miracle on 34th Street" and its big claim to fame was the 10 minute opening number which presented the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on stage. It starred the wonderful Janis Page with Craig Stevens and Fred Gwynne, with Michael Bennett choreography. Wilson also incorporated into the score "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas," a song he wrote years before. The show wasn't successful, but I like it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IAFUEU9M
And here's my request -- if anyone has (or knows where I can get) HENRY, SWEET HENRY, I'll be much obliged. Music and lyrics by Bob Merrill, starring Don Ameche. Another Broadway non-success, this time an adaptation of "The World of Henry Orient."
How you are feeling better! Here is No for an Answer.
A bit of info: No for an Answer is a 1941 piece of agitprop by composer-lyricist Marc Blitzstein. This is the original cast, and it is one of the first original cast recordings ever produced, in this case by the Keystone label. That’s remarkable because the production had only three performances, and the story of union organizing and the brutal suppression thereof was not the kind of thing that made people seek out a souvenir of the occasion. However, the music is very fine, the performances are good, and it’s especially recommended to those who have heard Blitzstein’s better known The Cradle Will Rock or Regina. The cast included Carol Channing (of all people) making her New York debut. She can be heard in the songs Dimples and Fraught.
If anyone is interested, I have a recording of Blitzstein discussing No for an Answer and the other two scores, with excerpts sung by Evelyn Lear and Jane Connell, among others. As an encore, Channing returns for a duet of Hello Dolly with Blitzstein. (Oops, I seem to have misplaced the latter track.)
I hope that by now your migraines are over – having had infrequent experiences of them, thank heaven, I know how down they make a person feel. I wish you well.
Many thanks for your offer of Allegro, but, as you have seen, David79801 has very kindly provided it.
@ david79801
Very many thanks for coming up with Allegro, and also for Here’s Love, which I will grab later.
@ david79801 - glad to see you uploaded Allegro before I had a chance. In exchange, I thought I'd give you Henry, Sweet Henry OBC: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dmcoec
@ buster -- thanks so much for No For An Answer! I think I first saw/heard Cradle Will Rock when they showed a version with Patti Lupone on PBS years ago and I loved it.
Slowly but surely I've been trying to hear more of his work ever since. I recently got Juno, Regina and even Rueben, Rueben, so I'm looking forward to this.
I wanted to say that it was not me who passed on the link for Blackbirds of 1928 to another site. I do frequent that site and even contribute, but only things from my own collection that I've uploaded myself. I would hope everyone here would follow that dictum.
Thanks to everyone -- I've been in the usual mess here and trying to shovel files into the hospital ward for classical music. (Put on your mask and gloves and read the posts!)
I found my Emily Loesser/Louis Quilico Most Happy Fella discs and will upload them tomorrow -- and over the coming week almost all of the Bernstein/Lerner White House Cantata (missing the final track), MacDermott/Guare/Shapiro's Two Gentlemen of Verona, Ben Bagley's Frank Loesser Revisited, the London version of Sondheim's Saturday Night, the original issue of Helen Schneider's Kurt Weill CD and some others.
The TER Kismet I'd promised is a promise literally broken -- the first disc cracked! When I replace it, I'll post it here.
I'm looking through shelves for TER's version of Coward's Bittersweet... and for MacDermott's The Human Comedy as well. (Good luck to me.)
Mindy, I am so happy to have Pipe Dream. (Now I'm looking for a copy I made of Ellington's suite about Doc and Suzy.) Thank you for that!
Andi, I actually saw God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater at the WPA Theater: having the demo restores so much.
Now... I have two requests.
One is British concert version of Yeston/Kopit's Nine with Jonathan Pryce (which RCA released an abridged version of her in the states).
The other is (hi, mel!) the 1967 Dr. Doolittle soundtrack which my perpetual chemo brain must have deleted --
Along with the FSM Goodbye Mr. Chips --
And, mindy, my daughter swears she saw the CD of the stage version in my room recently while she was redoing shelves.
So I will dig in until I find this 8th city of Troy.
Didn't mean to imply that you had reposted Blackbirds! Am enjoying the Gershwin.
@ chimezatmidnight -
I believe I have vinyl of Dr. D and will upload at a later date (am out of town) if no one else does so. I do enjoy looking through your classical pages. I think I saw in the spreadhseet that you had posted some Don Gillis. Any chance of reuploading some of that?
Per your request, (hi, dear friend), here is Doctor Dolittle, thanks to the original uploader (it’s impossible to keep track of all these generous people).
My daughter and I thank you for Dr. Doolittle. One of these days (I hope soon) I'll post a story or two about working on developing one horrible musical in a producer's office while Bricusse was finishing an arguable one. Bricusse wasn't arguable at all -- very personable fellow and knew when to take an increasingly insane writer out of a meeting with the Tran-Siberian Orchestra guy for a 3 AM drink.
I think I just told that story.
The other is about Newley who I never met and wish I had. A college friend had written the "Doctor Who" inspired episode of Fame in which Newley sort of melded himself out of Charlie Chaplin and into Tom Baker. A conversation about that was as close as I thought I was gonna get.
When I first started out in screenplay writing, I worked with the best development head I've known, Jenny Raucher. Her father is Herman Raucher, his best friend was Anthony Newley and the love of brilliant, wonderful Jenny's life was her godfather, Uncle Tony.
She cherished his letters (which really should be published). When we spoke of him I heard stories of an absolutely remarkable, wise, loving man who really didn't alienate people... even his rather nasty ex Joan Collins.
His ambitions were huge. Almost all of them were creative. Very often his reach exceeded his grasp. In one sense he was the incarnation of grand old show business presence whose progression could be said (justifiably) to go from Jolson to Newley to David Bowie.
The story of his relationship with his mother Grace, his stepfather and, eventually, his birth father are very moving.
She told me that before he died he returned to England to take care of his mother for whom he'd bought a house. Too soon after he developed (I think) renal cancer. (He had had cancer before in the eighties.)
When he was going into surgery he announced a bet to his doctor.
Newley pinned a bill to his hospital sheet.
The deal was simple: if he "won" the bet the bill would still be on his sheet.
If he "lost", it would be gone.
When he awoke he saw the bill remained the sheet and knew he was dying.
He had four children of his own who he loved. Jenny was his fifth -- he even took her dad's place in the delivery room when Herman was stuck in meetings trying to save Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?
Thank you for your touching story. I have always loved the works and performances of Tony Newley. It's seldom that one can get insightful stories of these creative people's lives such as this one.
The FSM soundtrack of Goodbye Mr Chips was posted here around August last year during one of those naughty weekends. Although I downloaded it, I kept only the 15 main tracks and not all the other extras. I have an idea, however, that I shared the complete set with a friend but it may take a while before I can get it again as it's packed away amongst millions of boxes right now. If no one else posts it in the meantime I will let you have those 15 tracks if you need them.
@ chimezatmidnight - May I echo Mel's comments by saying that was lovely. My roomie grabbed all of the "Chips" but may have scooped several out by now. I will look into it today.
Rest easy on Mr. Chips. I have enough trouble trying to net my little mylar silverfish with a piece of cheesecloth to even consider wanting you to do the same.
Someone posted the B'way Pirates of Penzance at that excellent The Singing Stage.
Thanks for that!
Was there ever a recording of the Public's follow-up to that -- their pop-py Boheme with Ronstandt as Mimi (same gifted music director/arranger -- both Wilfred Leach and he died very young)?
I've got one more Most Happy disc to rip -- then I'll upload it.
Such an amazing thing that there are three such valuable (really, invaluable) recordings of Fella.
Emily Loesser LOVED that there was a) a production of the two piano version and b) such a great one.
Malas in my favorite Tony on stage and on disc.
Emily loved Sophie Hayden's Rosabella for giving her an older, bluesy grit that was equally true to Loesser's Rosabella and Sidney Howard's Amy.
A bit about Sophie (where is she?) in a sec.
Emily and her mother Jo are most remarkable, genuine people. Emily feels her mother raised her in the early fifties after her dad's death. I often wonder if that has kept such an amazingly gifted and moving singer (Nancy Lamott level when she relaxes -- her intense ballad take on How High The Moon in Charles Busch's Swingtime Canteen made audiences GASP -- not get so much work.
However... Emily has been married since she was in her very early 20's to very talented Don Stephenson... lives a deeply stable life with husband and child.
So maybe there's a lot to be said for that. (And if you think that stability comes from her having a trust fund the size of Insert State Name Here... I give you Paris Hilton.)
So... as the world is as small as the space between your thumb and forefinger when you rub 'em together...
I have a Charles Busch/Sophie Hayden story.
I met Charles through his perpetual best and most outrageous friend Ed Taussig when Ed and I were working in retail advertising.
They told me -- quite proudly -- of how they used to make fun of Sophie at Northwestern.
Why?
Because they were Artistes and Sophie was merely the national twirling champion.
So we went to the last preview of Barnum together. I was there to see a childhood friend who was in it.
Charles and Ed had another agenda.
I forget when it the show it occurred but Sophie had a Big Moment when she'd step forward with two fiery batons and do some amazing things with them.
Not that night.
Because the moment she poised herself and put the flaming batons in the air, Ed and Charles cried out --
LOESSER: THE MOST HAPPY FELLA Owen Edwards, National Symphony | Quillico, Loesser, Muenz
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UJYASLUX
Once upon a time there were two Johns.
Not that kind of John -- they were conductors and music historians, not governors or senators.
One was John McGlinn who recorded in the eighties for EMI/Angel.
The other was John Owen Edwards who records mainly for TER/JAY.
Each are absolute scholars of music theater -- and each are first rate music directors. (McGlinn also does nice small part shtick on some recordings.)
The last I heard from McGlinn was a totally unexpected recording of Tristan excerpts on Naxos -- unexpected because I didn't know he'd go there and because Naxos had just released its own full length Tristan recording under Segerstam.
Edwards is also much more involved with theater productions (including new pieces) -- he is England's Paul Gemigiani which says an inestimable lot.
Edwards theatrical smarts and sense of history completely animate this totally complete (from overture to exit music to alternate versions to a piano recording of Jo Sullivan Loesser singing "Somebody Somewhere) in its details -- also its soul.
Louis Quilico had played Tony a number of times onstage. While his voice is in good shape -- more of a tenorial baritone than either Weede or Malas -- to me his Tony more goes than grows from scene to scene. It's not from a lack of sincerity -- but the play -- particularly Loesser's version -- is about a growing awareness of self and that you can be loved. And his Tony, while human and even noble, just doesn't present that as Weede and particularly Malas does.
I feel Emily is even better than her mother was as Rosabella. As moving as Sophie Hayden is, the very petite Emily completely matches both the full orchestra and the drama. There's continuity with her mom's original creation... but there is so much more emotional detail. (Dialogue helps. This was the case of Loesser's ambition not overreaching -- he brilliantly distilled and cut Howard's original play, eliminating the very strong and wearing political heat. In the original Joey is no cowboy -- he's a borderline Wobbly.)
Muenz was famously Joey to Georgio Tozzi's large scale Joey in the seventies revival (which may exist on video if not on DVD). That carried him to be Lancelot to Burton's Arthur in the subsequent Camelot revival (which led to the very successful Richard Harris version that led to Richard Harris owning an island in the Caribbean after he bought the production from its originators).
Muenz is now Tony's age. He is a very good artist still but the voice is drier which goes against Joey's sexuality. (As for "Joey's sexuality": the Joey in the revival where Paul Muni played Tony in They Knew What They Wanted was THE Edward Andrews whose first rate movie work was never associated with much sexuality of any kind.)
The best Joey (I think for everyone) remains Art Lund who I saw when I was ten at a City Center Revival in the mid-sixties. Even in middle age he was such a charismatic singer and stage presence.
Nancy Shade's Mona (sister of Tony) is a much stronger character in this version because more material is present and she runs with it. There is also an excellent cut song for her which deepens her character's emotional nature and makes her less loathsome and more understandable.
Don Stephenson (Emily's husband, best Bloom in The Producers and a really direcotr) is the best of possible Hermans. Karen Ziemba is kind of identical to Broadway legend/quais-myth Susan Johnson which is nice (and Liz Larsen was, too). (Also for all you Stokowski fans... Ziemba's idol as an artist was her aunt Winifred Heidt who sang Carmen for Stoki with Vinay as Don Jose at Hollywood Bowl.)
In the cast are a lot of top rate theater talents -- off the top of my head Walter Charles (as the manager), George Lee Andrews (my favorite Egermann) and George Dvorsky... also in a small role Kristin Chenowith who when standing next to Emily must look like a giantess.
Okay -- one more egregious thing because the original Guys and Dolls was uploaded.
Jo and Emily Loesser really didn't like the 90's revival. They felt the music direction was too brash and too insistently fast. The direction too broad, almost cartoonish. But they were very well-behaved because this helped more Loesser plays get produced and the unfinished ones or the ones in need of revision get their attention.
They really didn't like sweet Josie de Guzman at all at Sarah. (She was a last minute replacement and they really should have given Emily a shot.) They both liked Peter Gallagher because both are wonderful and sane and you have to be impossible and nuts not to love him.
Jo and Emily have ONE Sky Masterson who tops them all.
Ed and Charles are very good guys. One of my daughter's favorite docs is "The Lady in Question Is Charles Busch" which explores Busch's life and art... both of which are so worthwhile. Also... Charles' silent movie explorations are as beautiful (if not moreso) than the originals are.
Ed's been a creative director at (I think) Grey Advertising for two decades... and he's the author of 501 Great Things About Being Gay.
1,737 comments:
1 – 200 of 1737 Newer› Newest»@ isbum
Nice shop - I look forward to visiting regularly.
Question: is this confined to actual B'way/Off B'way productions or can we post the soundtracks of Broadway shows that have been transferred to the screen as well?
My best wishes.
I found another one.
A bootleg recording made just one day before the show closed. Never performed again.
"Lolita, My Love" Lp @320
Lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner
Music by John Barry
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JA4WQMN2
EnJoY!
@ Mel - I would prefer the Hollywood Musicals go into the eventual blog titled "Sallie & Mel's Golden Age of Hollywood".
However, if they get posted here, I won't make a fuss. ;)
@ isbum
Thanks.
I'd rather wait then as I have something special for openers that's been on the back burner for a while.
Please be patient...
A wonderful addition to the FRANKLYNOT family...one I've fruitlessly sought but didn't have the savvy to create myself. I can't wait to contribute and discover new gems myself.
One question: is this limited to OOP and bootleg items or are new releases, still to be found retail, fair game?
@ rodtross - Glad you asked that, let's handle this as we have all along, nothing brand spanking new, let's stay in the clear by posting year old or possibly out of print show Cd's.
Brand new will bring us unwanted attention from cheap skates and web browsers who may have little interest in this place.
If something is rather new, I would appreciate it staying available for a short period of time, (for regular visitors only) say a day or two.
Hope that's good for you rodtross, let's put on some shows and have fun with it!
The curtain rises shortly with the original Broadway Cast Album of THE SECRET GARDEN, an overlooked and misjudged adaptation of the Frances Hodgson Burnett novel. I saw it at the St. james Theatre with its original cast, and wept copiously at the emotional pull of this young, orphaned girl finding strength in a hidden, dying garden.
Link to follow.
Pre-Dame Judi Dench and John Mills take to the London stage in the musical version of J.B. Priestley's novel.
"The Good Companions" 1974 Lp @320
Lyrics by Johnny Mercer
Music by Andre Previn
Orchestrations by Angela Morley &
Herbert W. Spencer
In 2 rapidshare downloads
Part 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/101768931/TheGoodCompanions_part1.zip
Part 2 (with covers,notes,cast)
http://rapidshare.com/files/101773975/TheGoodCompanions_part2.zip
available on Cd at around $80 this must be rather rare. EnJoY!
The OBC of 'The Secret Garden' at
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AT50KQGT
A demo CD sampler, handed out as promotional during its 12-second run, for Joe Brooks' IN MY LIFE.
You'll remember Joe...the Grammy and Oscar-winning creator of YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE. His creative vision intuited what Broadway's Music Box theatre needed was a musical about...autism.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2PYBWONE
And here's a pre-Broadway CD sampler from HAIRPSRAY; I believe it was recorded in Seattle. Some mixes and vocals are markedly different from the final OBC.
http://rapidshare.com/files/101797218/Hairspray_Sampler.rar.html
The blog of my dreams has arrived! I thank you most humbly. I hate to complain, but "The Good Companions" links are not working....
Wonderful new place!
Gongrats to I.B.Fane and Son, and to isbum.
Interesting and unknown to me material, as I'm not only "Off Off Broadway" but also Off Off Off the American Continent. Hardly any new and worthwhile musical theatre is being staged in these parts.
I appreciate when you add some info to accompany your uploads. Thanks isbum and rodtross for these shares. I'll go now to find out the collaborators of 'The Secret Garden'.
___
@ David79801,
The links to the "The Good Companions" have worked for me, a few hours ago. I tested them again now, and they are still OK.
For this wonderful new place, I humbly offer the very first stage show I ever saw. Needless to say, from that day on I was hooked.
As a young uni student, we had a little thing called "student rush", where you could grab unsold show tickets for the price of a beer and pie. From the mega-shows to tiny amateur theatre in grungy cellars, I saw 'em all. Half a world away from the lights of Broadway, but still mesmerizing.
The Rocky Horror Show was a worldwide smash, and Australia was no different. Our Frankenfurter was played by a most talented fellow by the name of Reg Livermore, who starred in many one-man shows throughout the 70s. Time warp on, back to this off off Broadway gem...
Australian Cast "The Rocky Horror Show" (1974), @320:
http://rapidshare.com/files/101849259/Stage-RockyHorrorAustralian.zip
PS. Take the risk folks, this is a top notch performance of the show that broke the mould. For more info on the Original Australian Cast Recording, look here, although personally I think they are being a little harsh. It's a knockout!
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been waiting for something like this!
I have a huge collection of Broadway and off Broadway and foreign musical albums, many of which are out of print, that I'd love to share.
Here are my first two offerings. The first a nearly impossible to get off Broadway revue I saw in NY years ago, Scrambled Feet:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHQ512H6
The next, the off Broadway musical of the cult film Eating Raoul:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WQLUS2MY
If anyone has any requests, feel free.
Below is the LINK for the Broadway Cast album of GRAND HOTEL, the Tune-directed musical. It's not precisely the original Broadway cast...the cast album was long-delayed to wrangling among various composers and authors and, by its recording, cast member David Carroll (The Baron) was grievously ill from AIDS-related complications. He, in fact, died at RCA studios attempting to record his numbers; his stage replacement Brent Barrett assumed his duties.
But the CD preserves a live recording of his ballad 'Love Can't Happen.'
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E6M60NR8
@ mindy - Requests? Did you say you'll take requests? ;)
Here's two my roomie is looking for,
"It's a Bird! It's a plane!
It's Superman!" 1975
By Hal Prince
Lyrics by Charles Strouse & Lee Adams
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" 1993 L.A. Cast
Version starring Michael Damien
Thanks in advance for checking your collection for these Mindy!
@isbum - I'll get both of those up tomorrow!
@ mindy - Thats great! If theirs anything you are looking for, don't hesitate to ask.
@isbum & anyone else
Here's the 1993 Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/i7qoyz
It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman OBC (one of my favorite little known musicals in fact):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hu952g
And in honor of the above post for Grand Hotel, a little something from the same composers - The Anastasia Affaire (not my link):
http://rapidshare.com/files/51163651/Anastasia_Affaire__Original_Cast_Recording_.rar
@ mindy - Well, now you gave my roommate the Snoopy "Happy Feet" dance!
With all the candy he's had for
Easter, I think this may go on until the downstairs neighbors come up and tell him to go to bed!
Until I can get him to settle down, let me say thank you very much for these shares!
I am really happy that you've joined us on the stage.
Take a bow!
A curious collectible for the GREY GARDENS fans...a 1976 interview with Little Edie Beales, conducted by Walter Newkirk.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=34ATEK9I
CLOSER TO HEAVEN was the Pet Shop Boys' attempt, with Jonathan harvey, at a musical in 2001. It already seems dated and, hence, not at all suited for a belated Broadway transfer but, oh! those Billie Trix numbers! How can you resist a song dedicated to Caligula?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OI7UMC9N
rodtross,
Well, there is "Asperger's: The Musical!"
I know, a silly thought.
Here are links for the London recording of the superbly conceived and realized Sam Buntrock production of Sondheim & Lapine's Sunday in the Park with George.
I'm not feeling well (when isn't that the case?) but I will say that both lead character's "processes" become totally known --
Seurat's through the amazing animation of his work from three charcoal lines to the finished Grand Jatte --
Dot's through her becoming a character who listens to herself as she speaks/sings.
As iconic as Patinkin and Peters are in the original, the humanity and the troubled connection between each character (and their superbly conducted relationships with their inner selves) transcends it.
And, yes, the second act comes very near to the power of the first through its surprising and rewarding emotional rawness.
At the end.... George gasps. The audience joins him.
I loved watching it albeit (like everyone else seated near me) through tears.
Finally, Buntrock reveals Lapine as a greater playwright than Lapine revealed Lapine to be.
Sondheim/Lapine: Sunday In The Park With George (The New Sam Buntrock Production)
Part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmnjjvjejys
Part 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?hdtd3w4cdmm
Part 3
http://www.mediafire.com/?cmbgmijusax
This last link is for the London production site: it's intro shows you the essential computer animation of La Grande Jatte from sketch to finish.
http://www.sundayinthepark.co.uk/
Well, in light of Chimez posting it seemed like a good time to post available links to another Lapine/Sondheim collaboration - Into the Woods.
I saw a preview of the original Broadway production and have to admit, it didn't blow me away. The general audience response seemed the same. The 1st act was great and lots of fun, the 2nd act was dubbed "into the Gloom."
However, the score has grown on me over the years - as have many of Sondheim's later works. So without further ado:
Into the Woods Original Broadway Cast
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SW1BSPZX
Into the Woods Original London Cast
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DWARIXWO
Just when things lean toward highbrow Sondheim, let's bring it down a notch. Several notches. Here's the cast recording of THE GREAT AMERICAN TRAILER PARK MUSICAL. Hey...it's live theatre...and any exposure to a proscenium is good, ain't it?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1E117ITY
mindy,
One of my favorite collaborators describes the Sondheim/Lapine second acts as ballad hell.
To me... it's not. Yes, much of it really is a distillation of what feels like years of therapy. But in those particular songs are some of the more powerful reflections of my lifetime.
To return to my last comment about Sunday... Lapine may not always make the best case for his own work. I've noticed how he doesn't trust the audience... his direction goes for the obvious too often. The first London production of Into The Woods was notably different: it wasn't portraying itself as Disney meets Bettelheim but as something more dark and feral. You don't find a lot of the distance of "stylizing" in it and it could scare you and, finally, for a bit, relieve you.
Thanks for posting it!
mindy,
And thanks for Fun With Bob and Chet!!!!
The producer (and publisher and motivator) of the Anastasia was Frank Loesser -- who really was truly generous to other composers in very effective ways.
I've never heard the Anastasia -- it's a truly exciting thing.
So many great posts -- thank you!
isbum,
I love The Good Companions -- I got lucky around ten years ago and found the CD when it was still in print.
An old friend worked on a bunch of reissues with Mercer for Book of the Month Club and had a few dinners with Mercer and his wife in London.
Mercer was deeply disappointed with himself for never writing what he felt was a genuinely successful Broadway show. He had had real hopes for Good Companions and working with Previn (who is kind of too talented so the remarkable facets of his career -- jazz pianist, music director, composer and conductor -- never get the singular praise they all deserve -- it just kind of gets s-p-r-e-a-d out).
But the show was one of a quite a few in theater history that opened during a newspaper strike: those are merciless things to plays around the world.
So Good Companions never built up the cred to be moved to Broadway. (It was also not a time for importing British musicals -- even when they were written by a pair of Americans.)
There's always hope that it will turn up in NYC in the City Center Encores! series... as there was for Blitzstein's Juno which actually will get performed this spring.
By the way --
That Mercer felt that way about his Broadway career reveals at least something of his feelings about L'il Abner.
OK - since isbum said it was alright, I've decided to post at least part of my wishlist.
I hope it doesn't seem like I'm being greedy. Most of these are pretty rare (a lot are LP only), so I don't really expect to get them, just throwing them out there in case some generous souls have them.
*All About Love (The 1998 Musical Based on Plato's Symposium) by Mark Arnest
*Arabian Nights (1954 by John Jacob Loeb and Carmen Lombardo)
*Promotional recording for "Bagdad Cafe, the musical" - not the film soundtrack
*Belle (Original London Cast)
*Blackbirds of 1928 (any cast)
*Cyrano (1971 Maltby & Shire version)
*Dearest Enemy (any version)
*Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1978 Original London Cast)
*Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be (1960 London Studio cast with composer Lionel Bart also performing)
*Freedomland USA (1960 NY Cast)
*I Married An Angel
* I, Elliot Rosewater aka God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater demo (this was floating around the net for awhile but I missed it)
*James Joyce's The Dead (2004 Pittsburgh Irish Theatre)
*On the Town (1963 Original London Cast)
*Oh, Coward!
*Our Man Chrichton (1964 Original London cast)
*Paul Sill's Story Theatre (1970 w/ music by Bob Dylan, george Harrison and Country Joe McDonald)
*Trixie True, Teen Detective
*Upstairs at O'Neals (1983 NY cabaret show)
*Utter Glory of Morissey Hall (1979 Original Broadway Cast)
*What's a Nice Country Like You Doing In a State Like This (1976 Original London Cast)
Plus any foreign language versions of Godspell, Guys and Dolls, Sweet Charity, Urinetown and The Wiz
Hope this isn't too much. In return, I have more than 1500 cast recordings, so request away!
mindy,
There's a demo of God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater?
Wow.
Those WPAshman/Menkens were just some of the best things ever.
I do have a request. I had a copy of the Trevor Nunn My Fair Lady which ran off at 3 o'clock in the morning and is now staying with my mother. (I still can't find my slippers.)
Saturday night I got to see it on tour in Newark.
I talk a lot but this time there just aren't words -- best, most complete and inventive production of it I've seen.
And Christopher Cazenove (who Former Young People may remember as the young male lead on The Duchess of Duke Street) has just enough of the cat in his features to suggest Rex Harrison --
But as an actor he is full brother to Albert Finney in his size, his power and his total disinterest in being liked by the audience.
So Higgins is an actual person. As is Eliza.
Do you have a copy of that CD to upload? I actually think this cast is better than the one on the record: I also saw a doc on Ovation about how the show was developed and that sort of confirms it.
It's actually one of the best American ensembles I've ever seen onstage. And the Alfred Doolittle and Col. Pickering are two of the best guys in theater or anywhere else -- Tim Jerome and Walter Charles.
If it turns up anywhere near you guys...
Move your bloomin' arses!!!!!!!
Frank Loesser: Greenwillow
http://www.mediafire.com/?ngnxnftgwxj
Usually when a composer writes a score to a book, it's, well, a libretto.
Loesser wrote this score for the novel. It was a great success in the theater of his brain.
On B'way... less so.
It's really truly terrific. The book issues continue as Jo Sullivan Loesser keeps trying find ones that work for it... Senor Discretion Himself... Pleasures and Palaces.... etc., etc.
By the way -- Maury Yeston is back to where he was with Grand Hotel -- he is "finishing" another score, this time Loesser's Hans Christian Andersen... third go round for that one (one of which was very successful in London -- and if you like Tommy Steele, good for you!)
A few requests...
Maury Yeston Titanic
Brecht/Weill Threepenny Opera (Richard Foreman Lincoln Center production with Raul Julia)
Blitzstein The Cradle Will Rock Jerry Orbach
Jerry Herman Dear World
Jerry Herman The Grand Tour
Donnybrook
Sunset Boulevard (Vienna with Helen Schneider)
Weill The Firebrand of Florence
@ chimezatmidnight - I 2nd your request for...
Blitzstein "The Cradle Will Rock"
Jerry Orbach
@ chimezatmidnight & isbum - Here's the Threepenny Opera (not my link though): http://www.sendspace.com/file/icah4z
I'll upload Cradle Will Rock w/my beloved Jerry Orbach tonight.
And tomorrow I'll upload: Maury Yeston Titanic
Jerry Herman Dear World
Jerry Herman The Grand Tour
Donnybrook
Don't have the other two I'm afraid.
@ chimezatmidnight - whoops! forgot about your My Fair Lady request.
Don't have that one. Is it a audience bootleg? I don't see it on any of the album databases I use.
I'll keep an eye out for it though.
The First Night Records cast recording of London's long-running BLOOD BROTHERS, with Kiki Dee as Mrs. Johnstone. Poverty forces a pregnant mother to give away -- improbably -- one of her twin sons, with the disastous results and smatterings of vaudeville typical of a UK fable.
www.megaupload.com/?d=FTPUC67K
OK, I figured it out. I have to be very careful to get whole link when I copy-and-paste, the column cuts some of it off.
Based on comments, this is quite an eclectic group, I hope I fit in!
For the record, I saw "In My Life" and while it wasn't good, it wasn't nearly as bad as its reputation. I didn't see "Dance a Little Closer," but I really like the score, so I offer it here. It's my first post anywhere, so I hope I get it right. Be gentle --
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EI6XWZUO
And as for requests, if anyone has "Wildcat" (Lucille Ball), "Take Me Along" (Jackie Gleason) or "Fanny" (Florence Henderson), I'll be exraordinarily happy, and grateful.
PS -- I can upload Victor/Victoria (Helen Schneider) if there's interest.
@ David79801 - I love the score to Dance a Little Closer! I was thinking of uploading it myself as a gift. Don't know why it has such a bad rep.
And I'd love the Victor/Victoria. I can upload Wildcat and Fanny tomorrow too. I have Take Me Along, but the CD I copied had a slight stutter on one of the songs, so it's imperfect. I'll upload it, but if someone has a better copy that would be great.
@ chimezatmidnight. Just found this old but working link for Titanic. Not mine, but the uploader is good and open to pass-alongs:
http://rapidshare.com/files/95788553/TM.rar
@ all - I love this site. It's the site I've been dreaming of.
Wow, you guys are on a mega-roll in here. Makes my Rocky Horror Show and planned next share of Carrie: The Musical look decidedly like it should be buried somewhere underneath the West End.
A request if I may. Looking for "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown", original 1967 cast recording.
david,
Thanks so much for Dance A Little Closer -- what a whirlwind ride is ours here!
David,
Please do.
My first totally unexpected commission came via Helen when she was resident diva at a Berlin theater.
What a day this is!
mindy,
Head spins so happily.
The MFL was a First Night release, very well recorded.
Also very well hidden here -- I won't give up on it.
And thanks for EVERYTHING.
mindy,
There is a better, more passionate Strouse melody than There's Always One You Can't Forget.
Terfel's version is good and I won't be surprised if it turns out Cariou's imprint is all over it once I hear it.
Lerner was treated disgracefully by NY critics in the seventies.
I think things hit a nadir when the Bernstein family virtually wiped him off the CD covers (front and possibly back) of A White House Cantata.
Alex Bernstein got it right. He said someone should use the score to make a piece of music theater about these two hugely interesting and unsuitable partners as the play came tumbling down.
Funny thing is... it is wonderful to hear and Lerner's lyrics are among the very best Bernstein ever had to set.
Anyone got that one?
isbum,
I've been emailing friends -- including those who are getting toxic shock from political blogs -- to come here.
From the start Frankly Not has been Paradise Found.
You make me feel so happy and life so rewarding.
Snoopy is doing the Isbum dance!
Donnybrook http://www.sendspace.com/file/bs5d5b
Cradle Will Rock with Orbach http://www.sendspace.com/file/kl4uk0
Dear World OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/aftvtm
Grand Tour OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/el9h9p
I'm searchin'...
For the TER recordings of Coward's Bittersweet, Kismet and Goodbye Mr. Chips (still Bricusse but cleaves to the Hilton novel -- like Good Companions stars John Mills).
Oh, duh.
"Searchin'" means I'VE got 'em somewhere.
I think I am now living The Purpose Driven Life.
Dance A Little Closer is gorgeous stuff.
I wonder... did Lerner direct it?
That (yeah, it's the same as my Lapine trope) may have been a mistake.
Self-control... self-control...
Does anyone have the Robert Weede/Jo Sullivan Most Happy Fella?
I'll be happy to upload the Spiro Malas RCA version and Emily Loesser/Louis Quillico TER version over the coming days.
Also... no self-control... no self-control... does anyone have the Emily Loesser-Greg Edelmann TER Guys and Dolls?
Reviewing the abysmal vinyl versions I have that didn't translate so well to CD, I have some requests:
BEEHIVE
LEADER OF THE PACK
RUNAWAYS
and
THE REAL THING (Glenn Close/Jeremy Irons)
The Original London Cast Recording of MARTIN GUERRE -- perhaps not-so-rare, but in my mind an underappreciated work from the LES MIZ team of Boublil and Schonberg.
They were due for a fall after LES MIZ and MISS SAIGON, and this was it...PIRATE QUEEN notwithstanding.
(I saw the Chicago trout and was thunderstruck at how "hired hand" they'd become.)
P.S. Seeing some of the rarities being offered here, I feel downright pressured...some of my best stuff is at my vacation house in Key West FL, so my April trip down will presumably yield some treasures.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RGAJ0A2E
rodtross,
I agree!
I'm looking to see if I can get the Roger Ames version which played at Hartford Stage Company in the early 90's.
Ames is a wonderful composer: this year his Requiem (Anne Sexton texts) was nominated for a Pulitzer.
I've now listened twice to Dance A Little Closer and it's pretty much ingrained/endeared itself to me.
And, yes, Lerner directed it... which was a big part of the problem as his talents were not only brilliantly literary but almost as brilliant musically which had been his heart's ambition -- and despite his having, as Fritz Loewe marveled, the most complete technical understanding of Viennese music tradition of any man he ever knew, could write two decent notes together.
But he just wasn't a visual guy.
So who do I feel should have directed the show?
That's easy.
Joe Gideon!
@ chimezatmidnight
Here's Most Happy Fella with Weede and Sullivan:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8dj0t6
I'll upload the Loesser/Edelmann Guys & Dolls later. Looking forward to Goodbye Mr. Chips, that's one I've never heard.
@ Rodtross
A link for Leader of the Pack (special thanks to the person who originally uploaded it for me last week!)
http://rapidshare.com/files/100796562/pack.rar
I can do Runaways and Beehive later this week if nobody else posts it first.
@ Filmpac -- I can also post You're A Good Man Charlie Brown Original Cast if nobody else does first.
@ David79801 - didn't forget about you. Wildcat and Fanny should be up later tonight.
Thanks, Mindy, for LEADER OF THE PACK. Anxious to hear it without the warbling, skips, hiss and pops I've become so accustomed to from my own rip from years back.
mindy,
I'm a (what else?) most happy fella tonight -- left my set years ago at the home of someone who refused to return it!
mindy & rodtross & every other good neighbor,
Here is the link to Blue Gobo, a music theater video archive site. You probably know it and, if you don't, there's a lot of fun awaiting you.
http://www.bluegobo.com/
And here, for tonight, is a link to a first anniversary celebration for the Broadway production of Fanny.
http://www.bluegobo.com/production.php?var=10185
Ed Sullivan and Joshua Logan take a lot of lovely time discussing and presenting long excerpts from the show... particularly the sequence from the Pagnol originals which Logan says made them want to (or have to) adapt it... the night Marius returns.
The cast? Ezio Pinza, Walter Slezak, Florence Henderson, William Tabbert.
And here is the link for the Fanny OBC
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ner7wr
and the Wildcat OBC
http://www.sendspace.com/file/iulyow
For those not familiar with it, Wildcat is a Cy Coleman musical from 1960, most famous for starring Lucille Ball and featuring the song "Hey Look me Over."
If there is anybody on here who is not familiar with it, I highly recommend finding a copy of The TheaterMania Guide to Musical Theater Recordings. It's from 2004 and I don't agree with the ratings on many albums, but it's great for background info and learning about shows you've never heard of.
mindy,
My daughter (who is 20) will love and puzzle simultaneously over Logan's film of Fanny: why not the score?
When I watch the film (which I like) or when I see the original Pagnol trilogy films... the experience only deepens my admiration for Harold Rome and Logan and (never forget him no matter how much it hurts) David Merrick.
To me Pinza seems a lot happier playing Cesar than he did The Love Object in South Pacific. Yes, he had two of the greatest ballads ever and one of the greatest "thought" duets there...
But look at what Cesar gets to express!!!
How many times as a single parent have I sung to myself "Love Is A Very Light Thing"? (Lots. Also more lots!) And again I admire how adroitly Rome almost directly set one of Pagnol's finest speeches in one of his best scenes.
Now... if anyone's interested in another face of The Greatest Bass-Baritone Singer/Actor of the last century, I will be happy to post Met broadcasts of his Don Giovanni (in Italian, what else?) and Boris Godunov (in Italian, WTF??) on that underserving idiot's concert hall blog.
brober,
Here's what I use to convert wma, ape and flac files --
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
just reposting 'cause I noticed all my mispellings..
To chimesasmidnight. i will try it and let you know. Does it also convert m4a?
Once more with feeling...
My share of the original cast of "Do black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?" in WMA
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BCF1T81G
Also would anyone have the Original London Cast of "The Rocky Horror Show" or the original cast of "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas"?
brobrer (I apologize for MY misspelling!),
It does with the right applications -- all of them are available and all are free.
I doubt it does iTunes "locked" mp4s.
What I do with those is to copy them onto a CD-R, then reload it as an MP3 on my iTunes.
Who knew when I invested in this little theater what incredible players would show up on stage!
I love being in the front row too! :)
@ brobrer - I'll upload Rocky Horror OLC tonight. And somewhere I have the original Whorehouse.
Funny thing, I was just about to post and ask if anyone had the Whorehouse revival cast with Ann-Margaret and/or the sequel Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public, since my local library seems to have lost its copies.
@ chimezatmidnight -- I love Pagnol's trilogy, but I've never gotten into the Josh Logan film version, perhaps the foreign film snob in me!
The Fanny score is OK but it is not one of my favorites, much like Kismet, it just never grabs me.
@ chimez
been doing the same thing for my Windows Media Player...just have been going though a lot of Cd-Rs lately...
@ Mindy
Thank you in advance.
mindy,
It takes all of us individibbles to make an audience!
I love your taste and your passion -- and your willingness to act on it 1500 times.
You are a champion of music theater -- and a just plain champ, too.
Also... my strange love of Logan films comes in part from my trying to figure out if he was in his manic or depressed phases.
Also also --
Pagnol was not into the Hollywood Topaze with Barrymore at all!
Some Kander & Ebb requests...
The Happy Time
Kiss of The Spiderwoman
Steel Pier
Does anyone have the JAY Records version of Man of La Mancha with Kim Criswell and Ron Raines?
Caroline, Or Change
http://rapidshare.com/files/102283590/carol.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/102284207/carol.part2.rar
(not my link)
Worst thing I have ever done in my life follows:
Happy Days -- The Musical
http://rapidshare.com/files/101502340/happy.rar
(Worst thing was posting it. Not my link. But I'm getting a weird frisson out of finding it.)
Wanna blow your minds?
Go here NOW.
http://singingstage.blogspot.com/
Mindy:
I have the WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC...alas, it's in Key West. Should it not turn up from someone
else, I'll tote it back next trip.
(P.S. Its star Dee Hoty is one of the best friends of a good friend who manages on Broadway...they became best buddies on WILL ROGERS FOLLIES years ago.)
Oh, man, Chimez...
Now I REALLY won't be sleeping. What a discovery! Thanks! But it still won't dissuade me from our own little village we're creating here.
@ chimezatmidnight - so you've discovered my other favorite site! Some of those contributions are mine and I've posted some of his links here. You may start to notice that a day or so after I post something here, it will show up there.
If you've checked it out, you may have noticed both the Chita and Vanessa versions of Spiderwoman are there already.
I do, of course, have Happy Time and Steel Pier (almost pulled them when I was grabbing other stuff a few minutes ago, since I figured someone would eventually request. At least they're at the top of the stacks!)
For now, Guys & Dolls w/Loesser & Edelmann:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3hhqru
And I 2nd the request for Man of La Mancha w/Criswell and Raines.
@ brober - Rocky Horror OLC:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ph650z
And Whorehouse is coming.
@ Rodtross - funny, Dee Hoty is from my hometown: Cleveland, so I know "of her" very well. Oddly, a 58-yr-old, Cleveland born actor Tony Hoty just died and I wondered if he was Dee's brother. The obit didn't list her though. He had character roles in Tyne Daly's Gypsy and various tours of Godspell, Rocky Horror etc.
@ filmpac - haven't forgotten you. Charlie Brown really is coming. It's just a matter of in what order I find the CDs. It's ripped, now I just have to upload.
rodtross,
Hadn't thought about this in years.
Back around 1989 I'd started work as a creative director for Chris Blackwell and his assistant asked me if I could "help" her with some people who Blackwell was keeping waiting.
There was no room in that office (which was to move to a very different and even more insane arrangment across West 4th Street) for anyone, anything, any work, any sex and it was too loud for any concentration.
Of course, there was no waiting room.
However, there were people waiting there. So I grabbed one of the Zach from Saved By The Bell era cellphones and was gonna take whoever the hell it was out to The Time Cafe.
"Whoever" was Adolph Green, Betty Comden, Cy Coleman,Tommy Tune and Pierre Cossette... trying to pitch "Will Rogers" to anyone at Polygram.
Well, we had a great lunch. And the cellphone never rang with that call to tell us Chris was ready to see 'em.
So I just brought 'em back upstairs and into Chris' office where he was sitting with Neville Garrett (the original Rasta Rooster, great guy and Marley's art director).
I introduced everyone to Chris. He was gracious, they pitched quickly and his confusion was overtaken by boredom and restlessness.
So they left.
And this was the postlude:
Chris: Do you have any idea of who those people were??
Me: Nope. Not a clue.
SEESAW -- because I love it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZJI0YNZ2
___________________
CARMELINA -- because even second tier Lerner is excellent (and Georgia Brown is a god).
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7ZH4ZHBV
____________________
and VICTOR/VICTORIA mit Helen Schneider und Helmut Baumann.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H1M4U7SV
If anyone has Helen Schneider in CABARET, I will be your slave.
That's all for tonight, based on what's posted I have about 15 hours of downloading to do.
rodtross,
What makes the story even sillier is that Blackwell's most excellent mother was Noel Coward's best friend who got him to move to Jamaica to be with her and her extramarital sweetie Ian Fleming.
I got sent to Jamaica often to do a lot of demanding and often dangerous things.
But I insisted on one other gig -- restoring Coward's lovely home, Firefly, and creating a security arrangement around his grave that would replace the wrought iron birdcage that had been put up after the site had been violated several times.
david,
I love Seesaw, too. (I even remember when John Lindsay did a walk-on for a doubletake with Ken Howard.
The older I get, the less I associate any Lerner with second tier for terribly long in any score. I am looking for an interview Maury Yeston did a few years back in the Dramatist's Guild mag about Lerner's generosity to him.
(I think that was also the issue that told the story about the pre-Joe Darion set of lyrics for Man of La Mancha...
By the still amazing (if fraying) W.H. Auden.
That Cabaret production at Theater Des Westens was the first ever in Germany. And the director was the same Helmut Baumann (who also played the M.C. and was Intendent of the theater) did only amazing things with it.
In Germany Helen was first known as "The Gypsy" because when she got there (as one of many "Jerry Weintraub exiles" who JW had gotten blacklisted in the US) she switched to hard rock and was produced in Berlin by Jimmy Iovine.
Then she quickly became "Our Helen"... in musicals, in opera, on film and TV. I believe it was because Schneider really embodies the intellectual pansexual Jewish Lulu of the pale they thought they had wiped out -- and they were SO happy to have her back (and could even see the little wisps of zyclon gas coming off of her).
Theater des Westens was a great place to work under Helmut and with Helen as its diva. When it finally got caught up in the financial sucking chest wound of German reunification, Helmut Helen moved on brilliantly.
By the way -- Helmut was both a Balanchine dancer and protege. GB first set him up as the director of the Koln Ballet... and then had him move on to music theater as the avatar of Balanchine's musical sensibility.
To me... he'll always be mein Helmutti.
As promised:
Best Little Whorehouse OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/ui3e79
Charlie Brown OCR http://www.sendspace.com/file/z63n05
Runaways OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/ck4gxt
@ mindy - Their's something about seeing those three shows grouped together that sends my mind reeling in a variety of ways.
Most of them funny! ;)
@ chimezatmidnight - I had a friend here who lived the early part of his career acting in New York.
He told me a (possibly?)true story of a famous producer or critic who died just as the curtain went up on a shows opening night.
Do you have any idea of who he might have been referring to?
Arthur and I tried to drink the bars of Hollywood dry between '87 and '90, so his oft' told stories were deposited in several unreliable memory banks.
isbum,
I'd have to say it was Gower Champion who had a lymphoma called Waldenstrom's which, like many of these so-called indolent lymphomas and a leukemia, is a slow killer.
Champion died famously on the day of his comeback with 42nd Street in 1980.
David Merrick kept the cast -- including Champion's lover who played the ingenue/lead -- uninformed throughout the day and the premiere.
Many ovations, etc... and Merrick comes out to make the announcement.
Orbach yells to bring the curtain DOWN. As he said years later in a documentary, "I had to. We all had egg on our face."
It became a legend.
And when I FINALLY saw the show during its 2001 revival... I was shocked because the stage version completely departed from what moves the original movie and what had become so associated with the show in the public's mind --
The director of this version ISN'T dying!!!!!
Just short on cash from the stock market crash.
Gower Champion in life and Warner Baxter on screen were facing the same great challenge. I think they should have amended the libretto (which is really just blackouts) to get a little more power in it and more homage to the original and especially to the brave Champion.
Thanks to all for your shares!
Was going to upload this one but I think you should check this site out. Back in May of 2007, Tony from "Way Out Junk" posted a real rarity: the concept album for "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" featuring Orson Bean as CB. Link to the site is here.
http://wayoutjunk.blogspot.com/2007/05/youre-good-man-charlie-brown.html
Plus check out his other goodies on his site.
@ chimezatmidnight - Yes. That's the story. I don't think Arthur was aware of Gower's illness.
Weill, ya live and ya Lerner.
I've got excerpts from Love Life on CDs from Terfel and Hampson.
Anyone have anything more?
@ David79801 - just downloaded the Victor/Victoria mit Helen Schneider and am looking forward to hearing it, but forgive my ignorance - what is an ace file and how do I open it?
I'm using a mac if that makes a difference. Can I just change it to zip or rar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
@ all - singingstage just posted Dearest Enemy 1981 Studio Cast, so you can take that off my request list, although if anyone has the earlier TV cast recording that would still be swell.
Boy it's quiet tonight after all the activity the past couple days!
Since nobody seems to be able to fill any of my 1st pass at requests, I thought I'd post a few more:
*Berlin is Mine (Lincoln Center Cast)
*Divorce Me, Darling (Chichester Festival Cast)
*Great American Backstage Musical
*Hannah...1939 OOBC
*Invade My Privacy OLC
*Joseph McCarthy is Alive and Living in Dade County OCR
*Lingoland OOBC
*Look Ma, I'm Dancing
*Mask and Gown
*No For an Answer
*Plymouth Rock - The 1st American Rock Opera
*Texas, Li'l Darlin'
*Two Svengalis
*When Midnight Strikes OLC
*You Can't Run Away from IT
@ mindy - It's like watching the Discovery Channel. After the lions feed they turn the cameras off and go film monkeys for a while. ;)
Those were a crazy couple of days!
I'm plum outta anything approaching rarities. Short of me and a kazoo doing "You'll Never Walk Alone," I won't be posting much until I unearth stuff off my shelves Southward.
My roomie wants to post "FindingNemo" the musical.
Anybody interested?
Wake up the kids and ask them. ;)
Here's a bunch more cast albums I uploaded recently for other purposes, figure everyone here might as well enjoy before the links expire.
Lock Up Your Daughters 1959 OLC http://www.sendspace.com/file/e2o75r
Touch of Rome - Harold Rome singing his own songs:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kh120s
No No Nanette 1973 London http://www.sendspace.com/file/id6gcs
Oklahoma 1980 London Cast http://www.sendspace.com/file/xa6zih
Listen to the Wind 1997 London Cast http://www.sendspace.com/file/k5fkvw
@ mindy - Could you share the Donny Osmond version of "Joseph & TATD".
My roommate was confused as to which one it was he liked the best.
And from now on, he has to ask for things on his own, as transit.
Sorry to be a bother mindy, you are very kind.
Once he's finished pouting, of course. ;)
@ mindy
Thank you so much for the Robert Weede Most Happy Fella - chimez and I have been looking for it for ages.
I'm sorry but I don't have anything that you have requested. Wish I did...
You may be able to help me with a request.
Now that we’re venturing into London territory, I have been searching for Ace of Clubs (Noel Coward), specifically for the song Three Juvenile Delinquents – Colin Kemball, Peter Tuddenham, Norman Warwick – if you or anyone has it could you please post it?
More requests:
Original Broadway Casts
Ben Franklin In Paris - 1964
Do Re Mi - 1960
Flower Drum Song - 1958
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum - 1962
Guys And Dolls - 1950
No Strings - 1962
Two By Two - 1970
Original London Cast
Stop The World – I Want To Get Off - 1961
With thanks in advance to anyone who can help with any of the above.
"Into the Woods" -- Please, and no offence!
Does anyone have and is willing to upload Sondheim's OBC recording at a higher bitrate than 128 kbps (preferably at 320)?
I was excited to download the one of "mindy", but it turned out to be what I already had.
Thanks.
@ di(aphanous - no offense taken. We haven't really discussed bitrates on here.
I prefer 160 due to computer/ipod space limitations, and length of time to upload - I'm using DSL that maxes out at about 30kbps.
But if possible I will post at whatever rate people want. Basically depends on if I'm using a commercial CD or something someone has sent me.
If someone else can't do it I will post Into the Woods at 320, it may take a week or so. I happen to have access to 2 huge library systems plus several small ones, so I can get a lot on commercial CD. Which leads me to....
@isbum - Don't have that Joseph (yet) but can get it easily enough - see above -- and was planning to eventually.
Don't know what the protocol is, but wanted to ask you if it is OK if I let folks at a couple other broadway music sites that are on, shall we say, "hiatus" know that they can come here?
Sorry I seem so anxious about getting more postings here, I tend to be a bit obsessive/compulsive about both sharing and adding to my collection. You should see my film collection! Even worse.
@ Mel -- don't have Ace of Clubs (I'd like it too), but I do have everything else you requested. Give me a couple days. And do you have bitrate requests? Nothing will be below 128, most will be 160 and a few I can do higher.
@ mindy
Thank you very much. Although I like to upload at the best bit rate (320) to satisfy others I personally don't mind even 128 - my old ears cannot hear any difference anyway. Whatever suits you will be fine.
You're doing a wonderful job - keep 'em coming!
If you're into Hollywood Musicals soundtracks, keep your eyes open for a new shop Downtown - to be opening under the name "Sallie & Mel's Golden Age of Hollywood".
@ mel - didn't realize you were THAT mel of Sallie's & Mel's. I am looking forward to your "shop."
My big want is It's Always Fair Weather. I have it on vinyl but am completely inept at transfering to digital and none of my many libraries have copies that weren't stolen.
If you and Sally have any requests for your shop, let me know and I'll see if any of my libraries have stuff.
@ Mel - :) That's good news to me!
@ Mindy - If you feel your friends aren't being tracked by the authorities, I'd say absolutely yes.
Would I be under the assumption that their blogs had lovely cover scans and such on display?
We have maintained a small "under the radar" group who share friendship and music without the desire to become a convenience store to the masses.
After all, who needs fame when you have friends? :)
Yes, I have been completely overwhelmed. Taking a day off felt like a week!
@Mindy:
re ace files (Victor mit Helen): I don't have a clue. Try everything, and let me know how it all turns out. This is all new to me, I just insert the disk and trust my computer. If you have very basic instructions to do it differently, please advise.
re Fair Weather: I only have the Dolores Gray tracks, perhaps they will hold you until someone who has the whole thing posts it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VSI9Q428
re Look Ma: on the chance you wanted the Nancy Walker version, here it is.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B2DVB71S
But they both seem to be ace files. I don't know why, or how to change it, or if it makes a difference . . .
Speaking of impossible dreams, are there rips from vinyl anywhere of AT LONG LAST LOVE, or the movie version of JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL . . . ?
@ mindy
Thanks for your nice words and for your kind offer to help. I don't have It's Always Fair Weather and we'll have to wait for Sallie to unpack all her stuff after moving at the beginning of April but I'll ask her anyway.
I do know that we're looking for the 22-track version of the soundtrack of Oklahoma!, if you can find it.
@ mindy - If by "Fair Weather" you mean the movie soundtrack, then yes, I have that one and am happy to post it.
@ mel - Great news on the new musicals shop, I'm really looking forward to having you & Sallie together again. Are we talking soon? Reason I ask, should I wait for the new store to post "Fair Weather", or just go ahead and do it here? Cheers mate.
Oklahoma! soundtrack, 22 tracks.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RDJ2EJKQ
Happy to help.
@ filmpac - Go ahead and post it.
As Mel mentioned, Sallie will have her hands filled with boxes and moving things until (I'm guessing) mid April.
@ isbum -- not sure what site you had in mind with the lovely cover scans etc., but I was thinking of "My Little Corner: A (free) one-stop-shop for all your demo, sampler, and out-of-print cast recordings need!"
They haven't posted since July 07, but I know myself and some others stop by to see if they're back and I thought I'd direct people here.
Also, there's a few people I do regular trading with on castalbums.org who might want to check in. All honest and trustworthy.
@david79801 - I did a google search and was directed to shareware called unaceX, which seemed to open the ace files pretty well. I listened to Victor/Victoria last night in fact. Didn't expect some of the songs to be in English.
Thanks so much for Look, Ma! The Nancy Walker version was what I was looking for. And now I can open the files. Yeah.
Also thanks for the Dolores Gray tracks, although I think I will take filmpac up on his offer.
I have 4-5 versions of Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well, but not the movie soundtrack - yet. I'll keep an eye out.
@filmpac - if you can post the soundtrack to It's Always Fair Weather that would be wonderful. It is the only thing left on my list of vinyl cast albums/soundtracks I haven't replaced with digital.
@ mindy -
Sorry, I let my imagination run with how you meant "hiatus".
Please invite your friends, it would be my pleasure to welcome them!
@ mel
Ben Franklin in Paris 1961
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wfc2hz
Stop the World I Want to Get Off OLC
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dlk9pc
@ mindy - Movie soundtrack alert, not a stage show...
Soundtrack "It's Always Fair Weather" (1955), @192:
http://rapidshare.com/files/102900911/OST-FairWeather.zip
PS. Thanks for the Charlie Brown, not to mention everything else you've been sharing with us. You've been, well, swell! I've never even heard of most of these shows, but it'll be fun learning. I feel like a complete stage n00b now... which sadly I am nowadays.
PPS. I really wasn't joking about "Carrie: The Musical" either. I have a bootleg from the ultra short Stratford run... but now I need to run, so will have to be another time. Unless you really don't want me to lower the tone of the room.
Anybody have "Ruthless"?
I read that it was based on "The Bad Seed".
@ isbum - I have Ruthless. I love it! Although one review of the cast album I read probably rightly said that if you didn't know the plot, you likely won't be able to figure it out via the album
I saw it in NY years ago and it was a complete hoot. It's the Bad Seed meets All About Eve. Very campy. The album is of a later LA cast since the NY one was apparently never recorded.
It's kind of funny now, but Laura Bell Bundy currently getting mild reviews as the star of Legally Blonde the Musical was the child lead when I saw Ruthless and she was fantastic. One of those kid actors with a big voice and a lot of presence. I was a bit sad to read that she apparently hasn't lived up to her potential.
Anyhow I'll post ASAP unless someone else has it ready to go. And I'll try to send along a plot summary. Speaking of which...
@ filmpac - you made me realize that one thing I haven't done is provide a lot of info about the shows I'm posting. Chimezatmidnight is much better about that than me, I'm afraid. Feel free to ask for more info.
I really should post at least the composer and performers to help you decide if it's worth downloading. I'm such a fanatic, I think almost anything is worth at least a listen or two.
Along that line, the Carrie bootleg would be great. I just got a workshop recording I haven't even listened to yet, so it would be cool to compare.
I've heard a really bad Broadway bootleg, which despite my great love of all things Betty Buckley (even Eight is Enough) was hard to listen to, but that was partly a quality issue.
And I can't thank you enough for It's Always Fair Weather. Haven't heard it in years, since I no longer have a working turntable.
@ david 79801
Thank you very much for the Oklahoma! soundtrack - we've been trying to get it for some time.
@ mindy
Thank you so much for Ben Franklin In Paris and for Stop The World I Want To Get Off. All the shows I requested are old friends but I heaven't heard them in years...
@ filmpac
Thanks, old buddy, for It's Always Fair Weather - a valuable addition to my collection.
Hi You All!
Just was introduced to this forum and have found so much here that I thought I would try to put something back in.
Here is Wish You Were Here & Paint Your Wagon (1953 original London casts)@192
(1953) Wish You Were Here & Paint Your Wagon (original London cast).zip
I have quite a few of what I call the best of the worst musicals in my collection and am going to try to post a few here. Young Frankenstein - The Musical (2007 origial broadway cast) comes to mind. hehehe
Again, thanks for all the fine music!
@ lesserdevil - Glad you found us, welcome!
If you or anyone else wishes to share newer (in print/available) Cd's of music, I would greatly appreciate them being taken off this site after 48 hours or so has passed.
I can do it, you can do it, we just should do it so we don't draw the ire of any record companies or zealous delete freaks.
Don't what I can do about this as all my CDs are "in print" and I would like to be able to share...I think I will just leave it up to you to remove my shares as you like.
Anyway, here is Hello Dolly! (1964 Original Broadway Cast)@192
(1964) Hello Dolly! (Broadway Deluxe Collectors Edition OBC).zip
This is one of my favorites and I hope you all enjoy it as well.
That's fine lesserdevil. A year old or more shouldn't be cause for removal.
Is anyone interested in "The Last Session" or "Living in the Bonus Round : an authorized bootleg" ?
@ isbum -- I'm very very interested in the Last Session, so far my efforts to get it have been fruitless. No library copies to lend and I've ordered it from a certain online megastore, but they just sent me an e-mail saying they don't know when or if it will ever ship.
Two other semi-rare musicals are suffering the same fate as well. You try to do the right thing and buy these and you still can't get ahold of them!! OK, rant over.
Don't know what Living in the Bonus Round is, but I'm always open to anything I've never heard of.
And Ruthless is on it's way this evening.
@ mel and everyone else - can someone else post the Guys & Dolls 1950 OBC cast for mel - and me. I was sure I had it on CD - I practically wore out my vinyl copy when I was younger - but I could not find it "to save my soul" today.
I can probably get it from the library if nobody else has it.
@ mindy - Goodie! We found something you don't have:)
Living in the Bonus Round is Steve Schalchlin and friends
Featuring songs from The Last Session
released in 1996, a year prior to the live recording of the Original Cast Cd.
@ mindy - Bootleg for the Stratford-On-Avon production, no official cast recording ever made. Not surprising considering the show closed in such record time. You probably know more about this show's history than me, but suffice to say had it been The Producers they'd have made a motza. Comes on two discs, probably the entire production...
Stratford Cast "Carrie: The Musical" (1988), @192:
http://rapidshare.com/files/103126736/Stage-Carrie_Disc1.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/103125332/Stage-Carrie_Disc2.zip
@ lesserdevil - Thanks for Hello Dolly, the film is a personal fav, looking forward to the show.
@ isbum -- looking forward to hearing something new.
Here's Ruthless. I did include a text file with comments from amazon that do as good a job explaining the plot as I could. Hope you enjoy it.
Ruthless Original LA Cast http://www.sendspace.com/file/qdp2qp
@filmpac - thanks for Carrie. Guess I'll be busy downloading and uploading tonight :)
@ mel & mindy - Thought I had Guys 'N' Dolls, but now I'm not finding it either. Will try and shake one down later.
@ lesserdevil - Hey Lesser, what happened to your avatar on that second post? Don't make me come down there, the big feller ain't gonna be happy and you'll never get that promotion;)
Hi again, here is another one of my favs Sweet Charity (1966 Original Broadway Cast)
Sweet Charity (1966 Original Broadway Cast).zip
@Filmpac The avatar thing...I seem to have to open a new account everytime I post here...new password and I need to be sure to edit profile so that an avatar is in place. Very strange as I use the same password everytime but the only way it allows me to post is if I open an account each time. It just rejects the username and password unless I do.
*lesserdevil shruggs
Here are two less well-known Kander & Ebb musicals that chimezatmidnight asked for.
The Happy Time OBC won a Tony for the late Robert Goulet and also stars one of my favorites, the delightful David Wayne. Apparently before this it was a popular book, play and even a Stanley Kramer film with Charles Boyer - none of which are familiar to me.
The Happy Time OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/zb41wl
Steel Pier from 1997 is one of the last Kander-Ebb collaborations. It's about a Depression-era dance marathon and features Debra Monk, Karen Ziemba, Danield McDonald, Gregory Harrison and Kristin Chenowith in a small part (only 1 song).
Steel Pier (1997 Original Broadway Cast) http://www.sendspace.com/file/unvyzi
And finally one of Mel's requests, the 1962 Richard Rodger's musical No Strings, an inter-racial romance starring Diahann Carroll and Richard Kiley.
Rodgers wrote both music and lyrics, and I would say the most well-known song is "The Sweetest Sounds..." I Ever Heard.
No Strings OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/kbxxv6
Here is another cute one, though I'm sure most of you it already:
Grease - The Original Broadway Cast Album.zip
@ mindy
Many thanks for No Strings.
Don't worry too much about not finding Guys And Dolls 1950 OBC - I'm sure that it will show up sometime soon.
Hi folks,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in any of these:
By The Beautiful Sea (1954 OBC)
Skyscraper (1965 OBC)
Gypsy (1973 OBC)
Mame (1966 OBC)
Oliver! (1963 London Cast)
Fanny (1954 OBC)
Camelot (1960 OBC)
Louisiana Purchase (1996 ONYC)
Saratoga (1959 OBC)
The Girl In Pink Tights (1954 OBC)
Thought it might be better to see if anyone wanted them rather than to re-rip them to 192 and upload them. I keep them in my computer as .flac files for myself and for sharing.
Thanks again for all the music you have shared here, I have already ordered two CDs because of what I have heard here :)
@ lesserdevil
Thank you for sharing Hello, Dolly! and Sweet Charity OBC's.
Some more of Mel's requests:
Do Re Mi - 1961 OBC - this description from castalbums.org is a good intro:
"There was a time when clowns from TV shows, movie studios rushed into Broadway. Among them was Phil Silvers, who had a moderate success on anther musical "Top Banana". This time he was joined by talented comedienne Nancy Walker. With composer Jule Styne, writer and lyricist duo Betty Comden and Adolph Green and director Garson Kanin, the show's a go. However, the lack of experience of the director slowed down the process, and the 2nd act was never finished. Although there's a rave during its premiere, the show was quickly left out of hope when the legendary "How to Succeed" opened some while later. Nonetheless, the score of this musical remain one of the funniest, brightest and wittiest score by Styne-Comden-Green trio. Stand-out tracks include the funny "Take a Job", noisy an clever "It's Legitimate", soulful "Cry Like the Wind", showstopping "What's New in the Zoo", beautifully written "Make Someone Happy" and the memorable characterization work "Ambition".
Do Re Mi OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/sxdb4z
Two By Two - 1970 OBC
Danny Kaye stars in this Richard Rodgers/Martin Charnin adaptation of a Clifford Odets play about Noah and the Ark. Zero Mostel and Alan King also were considered for Noah, but the 57-year-old Kaye committed first.
There's a fascinating and lengthy story about Kaye tearing some ligaments 3 months in, coming back in a wheelchair and basically ad-libbing for the rest of the run to the dismay of everyone but the audience, who ate it up.
Other cast include Marilyn Cooper, Harry Goz, Joan Copeland and Madeline Kahn.
Two By Two OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/s7i2qz
and finally, the Flower Drum Song OBC. Can I assume I don't need to provide info about this classic?
Flower Drum Song OBC http://www.sendspace.com/file/fz3yli
The above combination of a Comden & Green musical (Do Re Mi) and a musical Madeline Kahn (Two By Two) reminded me that once I get through the requests, if anyone is interested I'd be happy to post one of my favorite obscure musicals - On the Twentieth Century.
I saw this in previews in NY with Kahn (who didn't last too much past the opening because of "difficult" behavior), John Cullum, the legendary Imogene Coca and in his first Tony-winning role Kevin Kline. One of my all-time favorite theatre memories. Everyone was brilliant.
@ mindy - I witnessed some of Kahn's "difficult" behavior at the Peninsula Hotel. Brilliant lady but one odd cookie in person. :))
Happy to have found this great site and its contributors. I see that one of your most active participants, Mindy, has a want list with many (if not all) items unfilled. I have several of them, so I am happy that I can make a contribution to this forum and to her collection with an upload of Arabian Nights.
I had not listened to this for many years, so I was surprised at how good it actually is - although heavily derivative of other such shows and (of all things) Gilbert and Sullivan. The sound is fine for its vintage, but I apologize for a few instances of groove damage.
http://rapidshare.com/files/103437615/Arabian_Nights.zip.html
If anyone has the Gershwin's Tip-Toes/Tell Me More set, I would enjoy hearing it.
@ buster -- thanks so much for Arabian Nights and, of course, anything else from my wish list you choose to share will be greatly appreciated.
I have the Tip-Toes/Tell Me More set and will upload it ASAP. Hope you don't mind that it is 160kbps.
@ buster - Glad you found the stage door, welcome!
@ Mindy - whatever you have will be appreciated. Would you like Blackbirds of 1928, Every Good Boy, or Oh Coward! next? I think I have a few others as well.
@ Isbum - I really like the friendly atmosphere of this site.
@ mindy
I'm having a feast. Thank you so much for Do Re Mi and Two By Two.
I heard another story about Danny Kaye: A little while into the run of the show he started to change Rodgers' songs, much to the composer's ire. It is a well-known fact that Rodgers was a stickler for having his songs performed exactly as written, with no variations permitted at all. Mel Torme got into trouble with him too, when he wanted to change the phrasing of his song Blue Moon during the filming of Words And Music.
I might add that Torme and Kaye are two of my top favorites - and so is Rodgers as a composer.
Hi again, I was able to find Guys and Dolls 1950 OBC...I hope it is the same production you are seeking.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/08d730/
An offering (another of my favorites):
Little Me - 1962 Original Broadway Cast
Music by Cy Coleman; Lyrics by Carolyn Leigh; Book by Neil Simon
Starring Sid Caesar, and the criminally underknown Nancy Andrews and Virginia Martin.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJ6V8DU1
And additional obscure requests:
Three Guys Naked From the Waist Down (1985 Off-Bwy cast - Michael Rupert)
I'm Getting My Act Together and Taking It on the Road (1978 Off-Bwy cast - Gretchen Cryer, Nancy Ford)
The Girl Who Came To Supper (1963 OBC - Noel Coward)
I am so happy to be in the company of people who know what I am talking about when I talk about musical theatre!
@ mel -- one more of your requests.
What more needs to be said than Stephen Sondheim, Zero Mostel and Jack Gilford. This is essential musical theatre.
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum OBC
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ylwnzu
@ buster -- I'm so thrilled about your offer, my head is spinning. Alphabetical order is fine. Whatever is easiest for you. Really doesn't matter.
Here's your request. I seem to have divided them into two, but it is the double-set album. Enjoy!
Tip-Toes:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yrlgbh
Tell Me More http://www.sendspace.com/file/1vrqji
@david79801 - I have all 3 of your latest requests.
I actually have to live my real life today - party for a friend who survived a heart attack/bypass surgery - but I'll try to get those up Mon/Tues.
Since "Top Banana" was mentioned, does anyone have it?
@ lesserdevil
(or, in this case, loesserdevil), thank you very much for coming through with Guys And Dolls 1950. Yes, it’s Robert Alda and Vivian Blaine who created the roles.
@ mindy
The feast continues…
Many thanks for A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum OBC.
Situation in the real world prevents me from downloading it right now but I will do so first thing tomorrow.
I hope that your friend has fully recovered from the surgery and wish him/her well.
@ Mindy -
Here is Blackbirds of 1928. This is the version released on six 78s by Brunswick in 1933. Thanks for the Gershwin shows!
http://rapidshare.com/files/103650151/Blackbirds_of_1928.zip.html
Hope you friend is recovering well.
Wow,
151 comments before I even new this exhisted. I need to pull my head out of...... more ofter. Sorry and thank you. My son will get a kick out of this.
My first contribution will be a resubmission of one of my favorite new discoveries of a short lived but very thought provoking and dork: "Parade" by Jason Robert Brown:
http://rapidshare.com/files/93466514/parade__Pt1__320.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/93478787/parade__Pt2__320.rar.html
Let me know what you think!
Top Banana
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N6YOCB9H
IBDB on Top Banana
http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=1972
Phil Silvers, Rose Marie and a Johnny Mercer score, but not as good as Do Re Me. There's an odd film version of Top Banana (available on VHS) which looks as if it was filmed directly on the stage.
Hey, there.
Roomie here (Isbum’s roommate).
@Mindy Thanks for the links to Superman and Joseph, sorry I had the wrong Joseph. Isbum told me that you had some interest in “The Last Session.”
Quick little story. I first heard of this play from the “People’s Court” (something about production rights – The show won). Months later I stumbled across a production playing in a theater on Sunset Blvd. I got my tickets and went to the performance.
*Spoiler Alert*
I knew nothing about what the show was about, so I asked the person taking my ticket. She said that is was a wonderful, funny show (semi-biographical) about a musician with AIDS. The disease was going to start effecting his ability to think, so he gathered his friends to cut one last album before he committed suicide.
*End Spoiler Alert*
Now, I grew up in the AIDS era and knew people who had it and people who had succumbed from it.
I looked at her very confused and said “…and this is a funny show?” She assured me that I would be laughing a lot.
I took her at her word and sat down. After the first song, nearly drowning in my tears, I wasn’t sure I’d survive the show, but by the end, I had laughed a lot and left the show feeling uplifted. I bought the CD and the bonus CD “Living in the Bonus Round” which are demo recordings of the show used to promote and sell it.
I hope you enjoy them both the way I have.
The Last Session:
www.megaupload.com/?d=7MGX0OK5
Here's the demo recordings for "The Last Session".
"Living in the Bonus Round : an authorized bootleg"
by Steve Schalchlin & friends
http://rapidshare.com/files/103717642/Living_in_the_Bonus_Round__an_authorized_bootleg_.zip
By the way, why is Laura Bell Bundy getting only Mild reviews in Legally Blonde?
MTV broadcast the show and I have it on my Tivo and I think she kicks butt.
@ lesserdevil
Please do me a big favor: track #5 of Guys And Dolls - Adelaide's Lament - is corrupted. If this was your rip, please check it and reup.
Many thanks.
Sorry about that, I found that copy on slsk, and it was the only copy I could find of that production. Quite a few folks had the 1992 version but only one had the 1950 version.
@ lesserdevil
Never mind - it's infinitely better to put up with that one bad track than not to have it at all.
Many thanks again.
Thanks for the good wishes for my friend - he is doing much better - looking forward to hearing Patti Lupone's Gypsy - a good sign.
@transit & isbum -- thanks for the Last Session albums. I'm looking forward to listening to them tomorrow.
I knew it was a musical about AIDS, but didn't know it was supposed to be funny. Hard to imagine. I still tear up thinking about those days.
@ buster - thanks again for Arabian Nights and now Blackbirds. I can't wait to listen.
@ david79801 -- here are the albums you requested.
3 Guys Naked from the Waist Down
http://www.sendspace.com/file/laijiy
A 1985 musical by Jerry Colker & Michael Rupert about struggling stand-ups/actors. Stars Scott Bakula & John Kassir
The Girl Who Came to Supper:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mweunk
Noel Coward musical that later became the non-musical Prince and the Showgirl. The OBC stars Florence Henderson & Jose Ferrer.
I'm Getting My Act Together and Taking It On the Road OBC (this is only 128kbps because that's how it was sent to me - sorry:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xnvyk9
70s feminist musical written by Gretchen Cryer and Nancy Ford, starring Cryer.
@ mel -- I got the Guys & Dolls OBC from the library. Later tonight I'll upload Adelaide's Lament and the 4 bonus tracks from the movie.
Oddly they are all Brando songs instead of the only original song in the movie Adelaide, sung by Sinatra, which I always thought was pretty catchy. Weren't they supposed to release an OST last year?
@chimezatmidnight -- hope you are doing OK. Noticed you haven't uploaded Steel Pier yet - at least not from sendspace.
@ mindy
Thanks for going to the trouble to get me the one track.
Don't worry about the four tracks from the movie as they were already appended to lesserdevil's contribution.
@ mindy,
For a few days I've been kept away from this baby of isbum. I've read your answer to me regarding "Into the Woods", and also what you said about your connection speed. My reply to you is "Please, don't bother!" -- who am I? Better continue what you do for the many, than spend time to satisfy one miserable soul...
I'm sure I will not find time to download even half of that, which you an others have been pouring here.
___
@ isbum - Just managed to locate and open one small carton box, labelled MUSICALS. A quick look tells me that most probably there's nothing in it worth "competing". In view of my words to "mindy", above (and seeing the bitrates at which most uploaders rip their material):
I don't suppose, then, that your "transit" room-mate [correction - your roommate "transit"] will be interested in having Superman at a higher kbps? By the way, its damn but praise-worthy booklet is 42 pages long! If he fancies to have *that*, he must muster a lot of patience. Sorry, buddy.
@ mel -- I already uploaded Guys & Dolls with the extra tracks before I saw your note. So just discard them and enjoy Adelaide's Lament. Sorry.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wvk7ah
@ transit - about Laura Bell Bundy. Somehow I managed to miss Legally Blonde every time MTV showed it, so I can't offer an opinion.
It strikes me that several reviews I read felt she was good but a bit bland, these quotes from the NY Times being somewhat emblematic:
“Legally Blonde,” the musical, has Laura Bell Bundy, the kind of young woman who summons instant parental pride in the middle-aged. In addition to her prom-queen prettiness, she sings and dances flawlessly, and she delivers silly lines as if she meant them.
But she lacks the quirkiness and irresistible watch-me egotism that a big, heroine-worshiping musical needs at its center. Imagine “Hello, Dolly!” with Shirley Jones instead of Carol Channing, and you’ll get the idea."
I did look up some other reviews, however, that I'm glad to say were much more charmed and adoring. As I said, she was spectacular in Ruthless, so I always expected big things from her.
@ di(aphanous - I really would be happy to upload Into the Woods at 320 kbps for you - I'm sure others would appreciate it too.
I've already put a hold on it at the library, so once I pick it up, it is no problem. Consider it my pleasure.
@ mindy - Thanks for your reply.
@ di(aphanous - Please don't bother raising kbt's for my roomie, he's got a set of tin ears. Honestly, he won't be able to tell the difference.
@ buster -- now that I've had a chance to listen, I have to thank you again for Arabian Nights (very cute) and especially Blackbirds of 1928.
I can't believe how great such an old recording sounds. Of course, maybe with talent like Ethel Waters and Cab Calloway singing Dorothy Fields, the medium doesn't matter.
Please let me know if you have any other requests I might be able to fill.
@ Mindy - I'm happy you enjoyed those items. I've been working on my skills in ripping from old records, so to hear they sound good to you sounds great to me (if that makes sense). Anyhow, I'll be back with another upload as soon as I have some time.
Speaking of not having time, haven't got to the Gershwin scores yet, but they are much appreciated.
For those who are not aware of its history, Blackbirds of 1928 was one of the first scores to be recorded in something like its entirety, in this case in 1932-33. The music and lyrics were by Jimmy McHugh and Dorothy Fields. The performers on these records include not only Bill Robinson and Adelaide Hall from the original cast, but Ellington, Calloway, the Mills Brothers, and Ethel Waters.
@ mindy
Many thanks again for sending me the copy of Adelaide's Lament - you're most kind.
If you'd care to send me an e-mail at mel468@gmail.com, I have something interesting to advise.
@ isbum - In that case he's blessed!
___
@ Any of you experts (I don't say it ironically, just a phrase like "You, Experienced Musical Buffs" didn't sound proper either)
Last night I've ripped and listened to "George Feyer plays Cole Porter". Played it back this morning, probably for the second time since I bought the CD many years ago. As I have more affinity with classical music than jazz, I cannot figure out this record — and I apologise to you.
Does this have any value and any place here? Or is it lounge-bar and elevator music?
I might upload it for a friend who enjoys uncomplicated and effortlessly digestible stuff, but am I underestimating this album? I'd appreciate any comment on it.
Thanks.
elias said...
@All
Found this somewhere, not my rip:
Frederick Loewe-1954-BRIGADOON:
http://rapidshare.com/files/104304634/Brigadoon_1954.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/104307362/Brigadoon_1954.part2.rar
Enjoy!
Wow! Stumbled here by chance, completely wonderful!
Does anyone have -
Twang! OCR LP 1964
Music and lyrics by Lionel Bart (& it ruined him)
Chess OCR - the famous "complete" Danish cast recording, released on CD but withdrawn at the request of Tim Rice and Benny & Bjorn
Thank you!
Another tough one...
The Original Cast of "Cotton Patch Gospel"; the last work of Harry Chapin. I have a partial of it but I am missing a couple of songs...
Hello and welcome Leonard Bast!
Good of you to stumble in! ;)
@ leonard bast - here are 2 links to the Chess recording you wanted. One big file on megaupload:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LTMJ9MST
or broken into 2 on rapidshare. (thanks to the original uploaders):
http://rapidshare.com/files/104568438/chess_d.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/104571041/chess_d.part2.rar
I'll upload Twang on Fri/Sat when I get a chance.
@ brober - I second that request for Cotton Patch Gospel - that's one I don't have.
@ transit & isbum -- let me thak you again for The Last Session uploads. Wow! I finally got to listen the other night and I'll just say that I choked up several times. Really beautiful stuff - it will definitely be going into my frequent rotation for awhile.
I have a feeling it needs repeated listenings to really absorb it all, especially since my initial response was so emotional. Brought up lots of old memories.
Also, I should be picking up Joseph with Donny Osmond tomorrow, so I'll upload it then or this weekend.
@ all -- another request from me. Once again my attempt to purchase it legally have been thwarted by the mega-conglomerates: Anyone have Musical Chairs that they can upload? Many thanks.
Mindy, thank you sooooo much, for the Danish Chess and Twang! (forthcoming). So great to finally hear a long version of Chess - completely fascinating.
Isbum - yr avatar rules! Do you have an uncut copy of the movie?
@ leonard bast - No. But I sure wouldn't mind Ridley Scott remaking it. The film (as I've seen it) has the feel of Scott's "The Duelists" mixed with a bit of the absurd humor of Monty Python or Kubrick's Strangelove.
Quite a timely reminder of our governments misguided attempts to rule the unruly.
Hi all,
Someone mentioned the Ashman/Menken God Bless You Mr. Rosewater -- well, I have it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zm4m7pdh3t4
I love this show (and especially this demo!)
Enjoy!
Hi Andi! Welcome to Broadway Bound!
Anyone interested in Frank Wildhorn's Scarlett Pimpernel?
@ transit - here, finally, is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat starring Donny Osmond. Enjoy!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2okjst
@ leonard bast - Twang! OCR by Lionel Bart (could you add some more info about how it ruined him? Financially? Emotionally? etc.)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/63fazr
@ Andi -- thanks much for God Bless You Mr. Rosewater. I've been anxious to hear this.
@isbum - it's a great, angry movie, but much derided at the time of release - and cut for video & DVD. So if you want to see it the way Tony Richardson intended, you can't. But its time will come!
@ Mindy - thank you for Twang! I have lifted the following from Wikipedia, as it sums the whole depressing story up neatly: "Twang! (1965) was a notorious flop and La Strada (1969), which opened on Broadway in New York City, closed after only one performance. Bart used his personal finances to try to rescue them, selling his rights to others of his works, including Oliver!, in order to generate capital. By 1972, Bart was bankrupt, with debts of £73,0000. He turned to drink, and a twenty-year period of depression ensued."
(Twang! ran for a whole week, after Bart was barred from rehearsals by the cast and director for being loaded on booze and LSD - knowing this makes the experience of listening to the recording even more, er, informative!)
Anyone got La Strada??
La Strada was a one-performance flop with Bernadette Peters and Larry Kert. There never was a recording but a group called "Sir Julian" released an instrumental LP on United Artists. UA, when questioned, deny the recording was ever made, even after I gave them the number?? -- but I have it! Fairly recently a version was released in Australia. It was a kind of demo and very interesting but not the original cast.
Hi Folks,
I was going through some of my older CDs and ripping the ones that I had missed into my computer.
I thought I would rip a 192 copy of Pipe Dream (1955 original broadway cast)in case you did not have a copy.
(1955) Pipe Dream (original broadway cast).zip
I seem to have lost the booklet though, sorry about that.
:)
@ lesserdevil
Oh my, I'd forgotten about Pipe Dream! Thanks so much for sharing it.
Would you (or anyone else) perhaps have Allegro?
@ mel -- I do have Allegro somewhere. I've been having some health problems the last few days which are limiting my activities in general - even being on the computer.
But once the migraines settle down, I'll pull it out and post it for you.
@ leonard bast & anacta - I have that La Strada demo recording if anyone wants it posted.
I never like to request without offering, so here's Rodgers and Hammerstein's ALLEGRO
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X3T1TT4Y
It's got a lot of good stuff, and the wonderful Lisa Kirk singing "The Gentleman Is A Dope" which is comic and dramatic simultaneously.
And here's Meredith Willson's HERE'S LOVE, his successor to THE MUSIC MAN and THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. It's an adaptation of "The Miracle on 34th Street" and its big claim to fame was the 10 minute opening number which presented the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on stage. It starred the wonderful Janis Page with Craig Stevens and Fred Gwynne, with Michael Bennett choreography. Wilson also incorporated into the score "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas," a song he wrote years before. The show wasn't successful, but I like it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IAFUEU9M
And here's my request -- if anyone has (or knows where I can get) HENRY, SWEET HENRY, I'll be much obliged. Music and lyrics by Bob Merrill, starring Don Ameche. Another Broadway non-success, this time an adaptation of "The World of Henry Orient."
@ Mindy -
How you are feeling better! Here is No for an Answer.
A bit of info: No for an Answer is a 1941 piece of agitprop by composer-lyricist Marc Blitzstein. This is the original cast, and it is one of the first original cast recordings ever produced, in this case by the Keystone label. That’s remarkable because the production had only three performances, and the story of union organizing and the brutal suppression thereof was not the kind of thing that made people seek out a souvenir of the occasion. However, the music is very fine, the performances are good, and it’s especially recommended to those who have heard Blitzstein’s better known The Cradle Will Rock or Regina. The cast included Carol Channing (of all people) making her New York debut. She can be heard in the songs Dimples and Fraught.
If anyone is interested, I have a recording of Blitzstein discussing No for an Answer and the other two scores, with excerpts sung by Evelyn Lear and Jane Connell, among others. As an encore, Channing returns for a duet of Hello Dolly with Blitzstein. (Oops, I seem to have misplaced the latter track.)
I'd ask that this not be reposted elsewhere.
http://rapidshare.com/files/105460472/No_for_an_Answer.zip
@ mindy
I hope that by now your migraines are over – having had infrequent experiences of them, thank heaven, I know how down they make a person feel. I wish you well.
Many thanks for your offer of Allegro, but, as you have seen, David79801 has very kindly provided it.
@ david79801
Very many thanks for coming up with Allegro, and also for Here’s Love, which I will grab later.
You and Mindy are wonderful people.
Hi again,
Here another gem from the stack I found:
(1965) The Roar Of The Greasepaint - The Smell Of The Crowd (OBC).zip
Sorry I am kinda slow on uploading these but I have been dealing with some illness as well. I have a few others I will try to get up as well soon :)
@ david79801 - glad to see you uploaded Allegro before I had a chance.
In exchange, I thought I'd give you Henry, Sweet Henry OBC:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dmcoec
@ buster -- thanks so much for No For An Answer!
I think I first saw/heard Cradle Will Rock when they showed a version with Patti Lupone on PBS years ago and I loved it.
Slowly but surely I've been trying to hear more of his work ever since. I recently got Juno, Regina and even Rueben, Rueben, so I'm looking forward to this.
I wanted to say that it was not me who passed on the link for Blackbirds of 1928 to another site. I do frequent that site and even contribute, but only things from my own collection that I've uploaded myself. I would hope everyone here would follow that dictum.
Thanks again for your generousness.
I was just listening to NEO: New, Emerging, Outstanding! and I was really taken with a song by Nathan Tysen & Chris Miller.
They seem to have done at least 3 shows - Mysteries of Harris Burdick, Burnt Part Boys and Fugitive Songs but none of them seem to have been released.
Wondering if anyone here has any samples of their work besides NEO. Demos, bootlegs etc. I'd be very curious to hear it. Thanks.
Thanks to everyone -- I've been in the usual mess here and trying to shovel files into the hospital ward for classical music. (Put on your mask and gloves and read the posts!)
I found my Emily Loesser/Louis Quilico Most Happy Fella discs and will upload them tomorrow -- and over the coming week almost all of the Bernstein/Lerner White House Cantata (missing the final track), MacDermott/Guare/Shapiro's Two Gentlemen of Verona, Ben Bagley's Frank Loesser Revisited, the London version of Sondheim's Saturday Night, the original issue of Helen Schneider's Kurt Weill CD and some others.
The TER Kismet I'd promised is a promise literally broken -- the first disc cracked! When I replace it, I'll post it here.
I'm looking through shelves for TER's version of Coward's Bittersweet... and for MacDermott's The Human Comedy as well. (Good luck to me.)
Mindy, I am so happy to have Pipe Dream. (Now I'm looking for a copy I made of Ellington's suite about Doc and Suzy.) Thank you for that!
Andi, I actually saw God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater at the WPA Theater: having the demo restores so much.
Now... I have two requests.
One is British concert version of Yeston/Kopit's Nine with Jonathan Pryce (which RCA released an abridged version of her in the states).
The other is (hi, mel!) the 1967 Dr. Doolittle soundtrack which my perpetual chemo brain must have deleted --
Along with the FSM Goodbye Mr. Chips --
And, mindy, my daughter swears she saw the CD of the stage version in my room recently while she was redoing shelves.
So I will dig in until I find this 8th city of Troy.
One more request --
Either the OBC of movie soundtrack of the Wilfred Leach Pirates of Penzance.
Thanks.
@ Mindy -
Didn't mean to imply that you had reposted Blackbirds! Am enjoying the Gershwin.
@ chimezatmidnight -
I believe I have vinyl of Dr. D and will upload at a later date (am out of town) if no one else does so. I do enjoy looking through your classical pages. I think I saw in the spreadhseet that you had posted some Don Gillis. Any chance of reuploading some of that?
@ chimezatmidnight
Per your request, (hi, dear friend), here is Doctor Dolittle, thanks to the original uploader (it’s impossible to keep track of all these generous people).
http://rapidshare.com/files/106029763/DDOST.rar.html
Enjoy!
buster,
Thank you -- and I will go look for the Gillis!
mel,
My daughter and I thank you for Dr. Doolittle. One of these days (I hope soon) I'll post a story or two about working on developing one horrible musical in a producer's office while Bricusse was finishing an arguable one. Bricusse wasn't arguable at all -- very personable fellow and knew when to take an increasingly insane writer out of a meeting with the Tran-Siberian Orchestra guy for a 3 AM drink.
I think I just told that story.
The other is about Newley who I never met and wish I had. A college friend had written the "Doctor Who" inspired episode of Fame in which Newley sort of melded himself out of Charlie Chaplin and into Tom Baker. A conversation about that was as close as I thought I was gonna get.
When I first started out in screenplay writing, I worked with the best development head I've known, Jenny Raucher. Her father is Herman Raucher, his best friend was Anthony Newley and the love of brilliant, wonderful Jenny's life was her godfather, Uncle Tony.
She cherished his letters (which really should be published). When we spoke of him I heard stories of an absolutely remarkable, wise, loving man who really didn't alienate people... even his rather nasty ex Joan Collins.
His ambitions were huge. Almost all of them were creative. Very often his reach exceeded his grasp. In one sense he was the incarnation of grand old show business presence whose progression could be said (justifiably) to go from Jolson to Newley to David Bowie.
The story of his relationship with his mother Grace, his stepfather and, eventually, his birth father are very moving.
She told me that before he died he returned to England to take care of his mother for whom he'd bought a house. Too soon after he developed (I think) renal cancer. (He had had cancer before in the eighties.)
When he was going into surgery he announced a bet to his doctor.
Newley pinned a bill to his hospital sheet.
The deal was simple: if he "won" the bet the bill would still be on his sheet.
If he "lost", it would be gone.
When he awoke he saw the bill remained the sheet and knew he was dying.
He had four children of his own who he loved. Jenny was his fifth -- he even took her dad's place in the delivery room when Herman was stuck in meetings trying to save Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?
@ chimezatmidnight
You're most welcome for Dr. Dolittle.
Thank you for your touching story. I have always loved the works and performances of Tony Newley. It's seldom that one can get insightful stories of these creative people's lives such as this one.
The FSM soundtrack of Goodbye Mr Chips was posted here around August last year during one of those naughty weekends. Although I downloaded it, I kept only the 15 main tracks and not all the other extras. I have an idea, however, that I shared the complete set with a friend but it may take a while before I can get it again as it's packed away amongst millions of boxes right now. If no one else posts it in the meantime I will let you have those 15 tracks if you need them.
@ chimezatmidnight - May I echo Mel's comments by saying that was lovely.
My roomie grabbed all of the "Chips" but may have scooped several out by now. I will look into it today.
mel,
Rest easy on Mr. Chips. I have enough trouble trying to net my little mylar silverfish with a piece of cheesecloth to even consider wanting you to do the same.
Someone posted the B'way Pirates of Penzance at that excellent The Singing Stage.
Thanks for that!
Was there ever a recording of the Public's follow-up to that -- their pop-py Boheme with Ronstandt as Mimi (same gifted music director/arranger -- both Wilfred Leach and he died very young)?
I've got one more Most Happy disc to rip -- then I'll upload it.
Such an amazing thing that there are three such valuable (really, invaluable) recordings of Fella.
Emily Loesser LOVED that there was a) a production of the two piano version and b) such a great one.
Malas in my favorite Tony on stage and on disc.
Emily loved Sophie Hayden's Rosabella for giving her an older, bluesy grit that was equally true to Loesser's Rosabella and Sidney Howard's Amy.
A bit about Sophie (where is she?) in a sec.
Emily and her mother Jo are most remarkable, genuine people. Emily feels her mother raised her in the early fifties after her dad's death. I often wonder if that has kept such an amazingly gifted and moving singer (Nancy Lamott level when she relaxes -- her intense ballad take on How High The Moon in Charles Busch's Swingtime Canteen made audiences GASP -- not get so much work.
However... Emily has been married since she was in her very early 20's to very talented Don Stephenson... lives a deeply stable life with husband and child.
So maybe there's a lot to be said for that. (And if you think that stability comes from her having a trust fund the size of Insert State Name Here... I give you Paris Hilton.)
So... as the world is as small as the space between your thumb and forefinger when you rub 'em together...
I have a Charles Busch/Sophie Hayden story.
I met Charles through his perpetual best and most outrageous friend Ed Taussig when Ed and I were working in retail advertising.
They told me -- quite proudly -- of how they used to make fun of Sophie at Northwestern.
Why?
Because they were Artistes and Sophie was merely the national twirling champion.
So we went to the last preview of Barnum together. I was there to see a childhood friend who was in it.
Charles and Ed had another agenda.
I forget when it the show it occurred but Sophie had a Big Moment when she'd step forward with two fiery batons and do some amazing things with them.
Not that night.
Because the moment she poised herself and put the flaming batons in the air, Ed and Charles cried out --
"TWIRL 'EM, SOPHIE!!"
And, as I remember, at least one of 'em dropped.
Fanning the flames. ;)
As (over)promised --
LOESSER: THE MOST HAPPY FELLA
Owen Edwards, National Symphony | Quillico, Loesser, Muenz
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UJYASLUX
Once upon a time there were two Johns.
Not that kind of John -- they were conductors and music historians, not governors or senators.
One was John McGlinn who recorded in the eighties for EMI/Angel.
The other was John Owen Edwards who records mainly for TER/JAY.
Each are absolute scholars of music theater -- and each are first rate music directors. (McGlinn also does nice small part shtick on some recordings.)
The last I heard from McGlinn was a totally unexpected recording of Tristan excerpts on Naxos -- unexpected because I didn't know he'd go there and because Naxos had just released its own full length Tristan recording under Segerstam.
Edwards is also much more involved with theater productions (including new pieces) -- he is England's Paul Gemigiani which says an inestimable lot.
Edwards theatrical smarts and sense of history completely animate this totally complete (from overture to exit music to alternate versions to a piano recording of Jo Sullivan Loesser singing "Somebody Somewhere) in its details -- also its soul.
Louis Quilico had played Tony a number of times onstage. While his voice is in good shape -- more of a tenorial baritone than either Weede or Malas -- to me his Tony more goes than grows from scene to scene. It's not from a lack of sincerity -- but the play -- particularly Loesser's version -- is about a growing awareness of self and that you can be loved. And his Tony, while human and even noble, just doesn't present that as Weede and particularly Malas does.
I feel Emily is even better than her mother was as Rosabella. As moving as Sophie Hayden is, the very petite Emily completely matches both the full orchestra and the drama. There's continuity with her mom's original creation... but there is so much more emotional detail. (Dialogue helps. This was the case of Loesser's ambition not overreaching -- he brilliantly distilled and cut Howard's original play, eliminating the very strong and wearing political heat. In the original Joey is no cowboy -- he's a borderline Wobbly.)
Muenz was famously Joey to Georgio Tozzi's large scale Joey in the seventies revival (which may exist on video if not on DVD). That carried him to be Lancelot to Burton's Arthur in the subsequent Camelot revival (which led to the very successful Richard Harris version that led to Richard Harris owning an island in the Caribbean after he bought the production from its originators).
Muenz is now Tony's age. He is a very good artist still but the voice is drier which goes against Joey's sexuality. (As for "Joey's sexuality": the Joey in the revival where Paul Muni played Tony in They Knew What They Wanted was THE Edward Andrews whose first rate movie work was never associated with much sexuality of any kind.)
The best Joey (I think for everyone) remains Art Lund who I saw when I was ten at a City Center Revival in the mid-sixties. Even in middle age he was such a charismatic singer and stage presence.
Nancy Shade's Mona (sister of Tony) is a much stronger character in this version because more material is present and she runs with it. There is also an excellent cut song for her which deepens her character's emotional nature and makes her less loathsome and more understandable.
Don Stephenson (Emily's husband, best Bloom in The Producers and a really direcotr) is the best of possible Hermans. Karen Ziemba is kind of identical to Broadway legend/quais-myth Susan Johnson which is nice (and Liz Larsen was, too). (Also for all you Stokowski fans... Ziemba's idol as an artist was her aunt Winifred Heidt who sang Carmen for Stoki with Vinay as Don Jose at Hollywood Bowl.)
In the cast are a lot of top rate theater talents -- off the top of my head Walter Charles (as the manager), George Lee Andrews (my favorite Egermann) and George Dvorsky... also in a small role Kristin Chenowith who when standing next to Emily must look like a giantess.
Okay -- one more egregious thing because the original Guys and Dolls was uploaded.
Jo and Emily Loesser really didn't like the 90's revival. They felt the music direction was too brash and too insistently fast. The direction too broad, almost cartoonish. But they were very well-behaved because this helped more Loesser plays get produced and the unfinished ones or the ones in need of revision get their attention.
They really didn't like sweet Josie de Guzman at all at Sarah. (She was a last minute replacement and they really should have given Emily a shot.) They both liked Peter Gallagher because both are wonderful and sane and you have to be impossible and nuts not to love him.
Jo and Emily have ONE Sky Masterson who tops them all.
Wanna guess who?
@isbum,
Ed and Charles are very good guys. One of my daughter's favorite docs is "The Lady in Question Is Charles Busch" which explores Busch's life and art... both of which are so worthwhile. Also... Charles' silent movie explorations are as beautiful (if not moreso) than the originals are.
Ed's been a creative director at (I think) Grey Advertising for two decades... and he's the author of 501 Great Things About Being Gay.
@ chimez - I am familiar with Charles work. Ed, I'll have a look into.
You know my penchant for analogies. :)
Post a Comment