The latest in my series of soundtracks on 10-inch LP is another Joan Crawford epic. Only this time (unlike Torch Song) she is not the dubee - John Garfield is, with violinist Isaac Stern doing the dubbing.
The movie is Humoresque, and the music is Franz Waxman's takes on chestnuts by Dvorak, Rimsky-Korsakov, and Sarasate. Waxman also decides that some excerpts from Tristan and Isolde would benefit from Stern and Oscar Levant being added in solo roles. Some music lovers may disagree (as I do), but I suppose this music has some kind of symbolic resonance with the plot, which has Garfield as a poor-but-noble fiddler, and Crawford as a socialite who fancies him. I wonder, did Wagner had someone like Crawford in mind when he composed Tristan?
Well, maybe not. You can find the music and additional deep artistic commentary at Big 10-Inch Record.
I tried about ten times yesterday to download the Astaire without success because of rapidshare’s new captcha idea which replaces the cats, and is totally impossible to fathom. Thankfully their happy hour kicked in this morning and I could grab it.
If there is any Astaire stuff that you are looking for, please request it here - there’s always a chance that we may be able to help.
On behalf of Sallie and myself, thank you for your warm words of congratulations and for your continuous support and encouragement for all of us shopkeepers here at Franklynot.
Thank you for your tip about Humoresque. I have always been impressed about the way the violin playing in the film was so cleverly faked (from the visual aspect).
I am also into the dubbling by instrumentalists in films. One of the most prolific, albeit almost completely unknown pianist who spent a lot of his professional life doing this was the virtuoso Ray Turner. His only claim to fame was his recording the piano pieces in the famous children’s 78 album Sparky’s Magic Piano.
In anyone is interested in Ray Turner, I have several rare recordings by him that I can post here.
Wondering if any of you fine people have a couple of elusive vocal albums, or could direct me to a site that has? Michael Feinstein's EMI release "Over There" - a collection of war-time songs. Also: Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson (Riddle). Has some nice Jerome Kern songs on it.
@ mel & seasy - 2 of my local libraries have Michael Feinstein's EMI release "Over There" , so I should have a copy in a few days to post.
No Ella Swings Brightly, I'm afraid. Although 2 have Ella Swings Gently with Nelson if anyone wants that.
I'm still working on the 5-disc Oscar box - have to clear some space off my drive first.
Also just got Sound of the Movies: Irving Berlin which has Alexander's Ragtime Band, Four Jills and a Jeep, This is the Army and On the Avenue. Anyone interested?
01 - Shirley Jones - Pepe 02 - Maurice Chevalier - Mimi 03 - Maurice Chevalier - September Song 04 - Sammy Davis, Jr. - Hooray For Hollywood 05 - Andre Previn - The Rumble 06 - Bobby Darin - That's How It Went, All Right 07 - Judy Garland - The Far Side Of Town 08 - Johnny Green - Suzy's Theme 09 - Bing Crosby - Pennies From Heaven-Let's Fall In Love-South Of The Border 10 - Shirley Jones - Lovely Day
@ mindy - Thank you very much for the Irving Berlin set, sounds super!
@ buster - Keep up the great work at Big 10 Inch Records, I am much loving your postings from the world of stage and screen:)
Hi everyone - a while back I put an obscure Danny Kaye album of Gilbert & Sullivan on the Big 10-Inch Record and was pleasantly surprised with the response. So I'm back with another Kaye record (his first). I know Mel is a Dan fan, so I'm hoping he'll find it of interest.
Many thanks for the encouraging comments from Filmpac, Rocket, Mel, and many others on my blog! This site is just great.
@Mindy - thanks for the Berlin stuff. It includes some Dick Haymes numbers that I remember dubbing off a Beta Hi-Fi videotape about 20 years ago. Now I can get rid of the resulting cassette (assuming I can find it).
Just a note to let you know that the Big 10-Inch Record now has another one of those obscure records from Hollywood past. This one is called Slaughter on Tenth Avenue. That music is well known, of course, but the bulk of the LP is from the Cyd Charisse ballet firm Unfinished Dance, which is not.
Does anyone know of the location for a download of Miklos Rozsa's score for "The V.I.P.s"? Not as well known as his score for "Ben Hur" or "Spellbound" but worthwhile. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks!
Wow, that was fast! Real VIP treatment! Most of what's in my collection has been downloaded from you guys, but if anyone wants "Picnic" (George Duning) or a double disk of "Murder on the Orient Express/Death on the Nile" (Richard Rodney Bennett/Nino Rota) I'll be happy to oblige.
I just wanted to stop in and say hello! I hope everyone in the wonderful USA had a great Independence Day.
@ styxinen-
Thanks for sharing the Bing Crosby. That is a lot of wonderful material. I myself have been hunting for years, the original recording of To See You is To Love You. Bing sang it in Road to Bali (this is the only copy I can find). It was also sung in Rear Window- and that version is the one I'm trying to get!
I've come across a few films that I am going to post soundtracks for in a few days-
April Love/Tammy and the Bachelor (combo release)
Duchess of Idaho Skirts Ahoy The above two I'm going to have to do dvd rips of the music. Mindy, I think I remember you requesting one of them. The music, especially from Duchess of Idaho is definitely worth having. Stay tuned!
@ sallie - Having enjoyed some of your quality DVD rips before, I am looking forward to these new ones. It continues to amaze me how much from the Golden Age has never been released, in any format. Many thanks in advance.
@ mindy - Thanks for the brassy No Business, love it!
@ quinlan - Do not list, also posted at the Filmscorium. Thanks mate.
Walt Disney once wanted to make a musical version of Alice in Wonderland with Ginger Rogers as Alice. That movie never got made, but the music and songs - by Frank Luther and Victor Young - were recorded, and can now by found over at the Big 10-Inch Record.
Ginger isn't a great singer, I'm afraid. But perhaps the strangest aspect of this recording is that the role of the White Rabbit is taken by Elmer Fudd. (Honest!)
Now available over at the Big 10-Inch Record: the songs from a very obscure 1956 TV special called Warner's Color TV Fashion Show. This was sponsored by a maker of women's undergarments, and the music involves "famous figures" - the Empress Josephine, Sheherazade, and the Ziegfeld girl. The songs are by Michael ("Lizzie Borden") Brown, and the singers are the fairly well-known Jack Haskell and the obscure Margot Cole.
This was actually a promo record for the show sent out to stores, presumably ones that carried Warner's products.
@ buster - thanks so much for the Alice in Wonderland and the Fashion Show, what great treasures.
@ mel & anyone else interested. Here, finally, is the box set "The Envelope Please...Academy Award Winning Songs 1934-1993"
One unfortunate thing I did notice was that some of the songs, especially later ones, aren't always done by the original film artist. For example, it is Paul William's version of Evergreen, not Barbra's. etc.
But it's still a pretty cool set:
Academy Award Winning Songs 1934-45 http://sharebee.com/839ee615
Academy Award Winning Songs 1946-57 http://sharebee.com/a17c7608
Academy Award Winning Songs 1958-69 http://sharebee.com/a6a43951
Academy Award Winning Songs 1970-81 http://sharebee.com/506ba075
Academy Award Winning Songs 1982-93 http://sharebee.com/e8eee4b6
Hello everybody, I visit your blog almost every day since few weeks. I'm very grateful to Quinlan for sharing with me your wonderful blog. I'm keen on American musicals and I have a blog dedicated to : hollywoodmusicals@blogspot.com But you have a so amazing collection of soundtracks that I'm a little bit embarassed, I don't know what I can post and unfortunately I don't have very much. I took a lot from your blog but now it's time to share ! I propose you the soundtrack of Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942). This is the link http://www.shareonall.com/Yankee_Doodle_dandy_tnhk_zip.htm Hoping that will you satisfy and I'll look for other things that maybe will interest you. Excuse me for my bad english, I'm french !
@ carline -- checked out your blog and it is very impressive. I did notice a few of the links had expired - like Top Hat & Give a Girl a Break. Could you perhaps repost those?
@ all - Carline's blog gave me a whole new list of Golden Age soundtracks to look for/request. Here's a few she had info on but no links:
What a Way to Go You Were Never Lovelier Cover Girl That Night in Rio Dolly Sisters The Gang's All Here Down Argentine Way Daddy Long Legs Ziegfeld Girl Great Ziegfeld My Blue Heaven Pin-Up Girl Lullaby of Broadway
Also, is there interest here in a CD I picked up today that has the soundtracks for all the Hope/Crosby "Road to...." films?
Hello, Thank you very much for your kindness. My blog recently took off, so I do my best to repost, I was just waiting that someone ask me to do it ! I propose you : Top Hat http://www.shareonall.com/Top_Hat_bcnh_zip.htm
Shall We Dance http://www.shareonall.com/Shall_We_Dance_gbxy_zip.htm
Swing Time http://www.shareonall.com/Swing_Time_kiwx_zip.htm
And I've added Bathing Beauty http://www.shareonall.com/Bathing_Beauty_laug_zip.htm
I know that Give A Girl A Break isn't available on CD (and DVD too, It's a shame) so I have done my own ! http://www.shareonall.com/Give_A_Girl_A_Break_qqnv_zip.htm
Hoping that you'll enjoy.
It would be wonderful if somobody have the Rhino OST of Good News, Best Foot Forward, Du Barry Was A Lady and the fabulous 6 Cd's Box-Set of That's Entertainment ?
I have only four of the list you requested per Carline's blog, and here is the first one - Lullaby Of Broadway - short and sweet, with thanks to the original uploader (could have been filmpac): http://rapidshare.com/files/130408813/DDLOB.rar.html
I was able to download Carline’s rip of Give A Girl A Break without a problem. She did a great job, and the music and songs are quite delightful. Try downloading with the megaupload choice.
Here is Nelson Riddle’s score for What A Way To Go - thanks to the original uploader: http://rapidshare.com/files/130419368/WWTG.rar.html
Here is Alex North’s ballet music for Daddy Long Legs. I’m afraid that three tracks was all there was of it on the CD; the balance being taken up by another soundtrack. Seems today that good things come in small packages…:
@ mel & carline - thanks so much for all the wonderful download links. That should keep me busy for a few days :) We're in the midst of a lengthy heatwave, so being inside with the AC downloading great soundtracks sounds like an excellent way to spend the time.
@ mel - The link to Molly Brown that Carline has, is linked directly to The Singing Stage site. It would appear that that site is currently dead, totally, and not just private. Perhaps Mindy could confirm?
@ carline - If you have Molly Brown, could I request a re-up here please? Nice blog you have there, and thanks for the rip of "Give A Girl A Break", very nice:)
If my memory serves me correctly, I was very excited when I saw that the Singing Stage site (when it was still up and running) was offering the 28-track The Unsinkable Molly Brown. I downloaded it, and I was most disappointed to find that it was the same 13-track version which we already have! It seems that the expanded version is very elusive. Bummer…
@ mel - Molly Brown is elusive indeed. Sigh. Could you please share the link for "The Gang's All Here" with Isbum, via his email? I'm sure he'd be interested himself, and I certainly am. Thanks.
Wish I had been checking out The Singing Stage more frequently now, it still seems dead to the world.
To keep you going, you can download the following of your wants, thanks to two great blogs: From the blog Singin’ And Swingin’, go here to get the links for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers: http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/search?q=seven+brides+for+seven+brothers From the blog Viagemusical, go here for Calamity Jane: http://viagemusical-trilhas.blogspot.com/2008/05/calamity-jane.html
and from the same blog go here for My Fair Lady: http://viagemusical-trilhas.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-fair-lady.html
Oklahoma! and Finian’s Rainbow will take a little longer to find. I will get them to you as soon as possible.
@ mel Thank you very much for The Lullaby Of Broadway and Daddy Long Legs, the music is beautiful. I already had What A Way To Go, but I was disapointed, the Nelson Riddle score is not the original and same thing for Can Can I had too.
You can rest I have already Oklahoma and Finian's Rainbow for Jean :
@ mel and filmpac Concerning Molly Brown I only have 13 tracks. http://www.shareonall.com/The_Unsinkable_Molly_Brown_xzid_zip.htm
They come from The Singing Stage. This blog was fantastic but now it's a private access. All the instructions are explain in http://thesingingstage.blogspot.com/ With all the things you have it will not be a problem to be a member !
@ mel - Thank you so much for the links I got "My Fair lady and " Calamity jane " For The Seven Brides for Seven brothers I think the Link are Dead.
@ Carline- Thanks for the links but I must be Stupid :-) I'm realy dont find the way to Download I create an account and i'm logged in But There are no indication of the Links. There are well Link to Download: but nothing More.
But please don't taking your head for that that's very nice of you to help me , I will try to find them by Caiman Zone , i'm one of her best customer :-) :-)
@ mel- Thank you for the great job you make for Help me, I'm find them all at Caiman Zone, I will got them in 7 days , when I receive them i'm will shared those for your shop including cover and all. There are all the expended one.
@ mel - Good news, I've located "Unsinkable Molly Brown", 28-track edition, coming sloooowly down the line now. Might be a day or so.
Request please: I've just spotted the soundtrack to Jumbo, starring Doris Day, on the Singin' & Swingin' blog, posted on May 19th 2008, but the link is dead already. Did anyone happen to grab this, and could share here please?
@ filmpac Quickly because is very very late in France, the Billy Rose's Jumbo request : http://www.shareonall.com/Billy_Roses_Jumbo_slla_zip.htm Hoping that will work !
Here is what's going on in the ongoing series of stage and screen items on the Big 10-Inch Record - the Hollywood version of Rose Marie, with Howard Keel, Ann Blyth, Fernando Lamas, and Bert Lahr, who duets with Marjorie Main (!). Stop by!
@ mel & carline - Molly Brown has arrived! The 28-track deluxe expanded version, starring Debbie Reynolds & Harve Presnell. Thanks to the original unknown ripper, our quest is over...
@ mel Hello my dear friend, Belated but hearty thanks for your submission of Alex North "Daddy Long Legs" Ballet Music. I remember asking carline on her very fine blog whether she had "Daddy Long Legs" OST after seing a post of that movie without any download link. She kindly answered that she did not have it and was looking for it. Since then, I came to the conclusion that unfortunately a complete OST of this film has never been released. The three tracks of the Alex North Ballet are from a 20 tracks CD dedicated to Alex North with the complete OST of Henry Hathaway's "The Racers" (17 tracks) plus the 3 "Daddy Long Legs" tracks. IMDb duly states that there never was a release of the Johnny Mercer score. However, Ray Anthony who's playing his own character in the film released a 45 rpm EP with 4 songs from the film, i.e. "Sluefoot", "Something's Gotta Give", "Dream" & "Thunderbird". This is not the OST - in the film, the vocals were by the Pied Pipers and in the EP they are by the Skyliners - but I think it's quite good anyway. I have this EP which I bought after seing the film in 1955. Here it is after restoration of the sound and the front cover (you can imagine it was in the best possible state after 53 years but I'm happy with the result)
Re: Daddy Long Legs OST and Johnny Mercer's score, someone at castalbums.org has posted a listing for an LP from a label called Caliban that contains both this and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle.
A soundtrack release of Daddy Long Legs has always been a difficult entity. With the Alex North ballet music, and your very nice Ray Anthony EP, for which I thank you most graciously, we do have something at least. According to my movie musicals bible, The Hollywood Musical by Clive Hirschhorn, other numbers in the film were History Of The Beat, C-A-T Spells Cat, Daddy Long Legs, and Welcome Egghead - and, of course Astaire’s Something’s Got To Give, of which I have a studio recording.
I guess I will have to attempt a DVD rip.
All the very best to you too, pal and thank you for your kind help.
@ mel To be more complete on the subject of "Daddy Long Legs" OST, this the soundtrack listing as called by IMDb:
· "Something's Gotta Give" by Johnny Mercer Sung by Fred Astaire Danced by Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron · "Dream" by Johnny Mercer (1945) Sung by The Pied Pipers Danced by Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron · "Sluefoot" by Johnny Mercer Sung by The Pied Pipers with Ray Anthony and His Orchestra Danced by Fred Astaire, Leslie Caron and Chorus · "History of the Beat" by Johnny Mercer Instrumental with Fred Astaire on drums · "Welcome Egghead" by Johnny Mercer Sung by Girls at Walston College · "C-A-T Spells Cat" by Johnny Mercer Sung by Leslie Caron · "Daddy Long Legs" by Johnny Mercer Chorus · "Texas Millionaire" by Johnny Mercer Instrumental with Chorus Danced by Fred Astaire · "International Playboy" by Johnny Mercer Instrumental danced by Fred Astaire and Chorus Girls · "Guardian Angel" by Johnny Mercer Instrumental danced by Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron · "Dancing Through Life" by Johnny Mercer Instrumental Ballet danced by Leslie Caron and Chorus · "Thunderbird" by Ray Anthony and George Williams Played by Ray Anthony and His Orchestra
In addition, this is what they are saying about it's (non)release:
"There was no soundtrack album of the Johnny Mercer score issued in 1955, but Fred Astaire and Ray Anthony compensated with commercial discs. Mr. Astaire's 45 on RCA Victor found him singing a ballad version of the Oscar-nominated "Something's Gotta Give," along with the peppy "Sluefoot," which in the film served as a vocal for The Pied Pipers, backed by the Anthony band. Fred's next recording of "Something's Gotta Give," taken at a brisker tempo, turned up on an LP called "Fred Astaire Today," released by Kapp in 1959. Returning to 1955, Ray Anthony and His Orchestra had in the marketplace a Capitol revamp of four songs from the picture: "Sluefoot," "Something's Gotta Give," "Dream" and "Thunderbird" (the last cut an instrumental composed by Mr. Anthony and George Williams)".
The Ray Anthony's EP is the one I posted yesterday. I remember having also the Fred Astaire's "Something's Gotta Give "-"Sluefoot" one, but unfortunately, for some reasons, it disappeared from my collection. I noticed you said having it. If you would accept to share it (at any time, no hurry) I would be extremely grateful to you. Thank you very much and all the best.
P.S. You certainly corrected the typo in my previous comment when I said, speaking of the Ray Anthony's EP, that it was in the best possible state after 53 years. Obviously I meant it was NOT in the best possible state.
I have finished the Daddy Long Legs project. I eliminated as much as possible dialogue and sound effects from the songs while endeavoring to preserve their integrity and I hope the result meets with your approval. The song “Dream” was performed four times in the film but due to brevity, dialogue and effects I was only able to use the one right at the end of the film.
The tracks are:
1. History Of The Beat - Fred Astaire - instrumental, with drums 2. Welcome Egghead - sung by the girls at Walston College 3. C-A-T Spells Cat - Leslie Caron and children 4. Texas Millionaire / International Playboy / Guardian Angel - orchestral with chorus 5. Sluefoot - The Pied Pipers with Ray Anthony And His Orchestra 6. Something’s Gotta Give - Fred Astaire, Leslie Caron 7. Dream (Finale)
Please feel free to use these in combination with the released Alex North ballet music or on their own. I would appreciate your comments and criticism; and it would be nice if someone can devise a cover for the project.
You devotees of the golden age of Hollywood may be interested in my tribute to one of the last representatives of the golden age of pop vocalizing, Jo Stafford, who died the other day. The Big 10-Inch Record has started a series devoted to her more unusual early LPs with a gospel set called Garden of Prayer.
@ Mel - Thanks for your efforts to put together the Daddy Long Legs music. Looking forward to listening!
Also, has the Three for the Show soundtrack appeared here? I am preparing that one for the blog. Will appear soon.
@ mel I'm just listening to it. Your accomplishment with "Daddy Long Legs" DVD rip is fabulous. Thank you, my dear friend, for bringing back so nicely a lot of old memories. You deserve my deepest and eternal gratitude, but you already know that!!!
@ retroboy I concur with mel to express my thanks for the great job you did with "Daddy Long Legs" cover art.
@ mel - Super job on "Daddy Long Legs", great quality sound, and s'wonderful to hear it. Thanks also to retroboy for the cover art!
@ sallie - A while back you gave us a DVD rip of "My Sister Eileen". Well, I found another version floating around in p2pland, and offer it here for comparison. It contains a little more dialogue than yours, which actually seems to work in quite well, and I think an extra tune or two. Although it has been a loooong time since I saw the film, and can't really be sure. Also comes with a nicely done set of covers...
Request: Just had a listen too to the super DVD rip of "Guys And Dolls". I see that there is an official release, with 30 tracks. Anyone ever seen this around?
As promised, the Big 10-Inch Record now has the soundtrack of Three for the Show, with Betty Grable, Jack Lemmon, and Marge Champion. Music by a variety of personalities (Gershwin, Carmichael, Tchaikovsky), pulled together by George Duning.
Can't say that it is a lost gem from the Golden Age, but it is fairly rare, I think!
@ mel Your work is remarkable. You choose the correct moments for cut (like in Texas Millionaire ...). It's one for my favourite musical. I don't stop listening it !
@ RetroBoy Thank you for the artwork, I'll print it for my CD.
@ Filmpac Thank you for My Sister Eileen. Unfortunately I don't have this film, but it gives me the idea to order it.
@ Buster Thank you for sharing the very rare Three for the Show. I'm waiting the DVD to complete my collection of Betty Grable musicals !
A label called Chansons Cinema seems to have put out a series of Fred & Ginger soundtrack albums on CD, each featuring music from two movies. The music is taken, as far as I can tell, directly from the films, and you can hear dancing, incidental sound, and bits of dialogue in places. But they are quite wonderful for any fan of the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musicals of the 30s. Vol. 1 featured music from The Gay Divorcee and Top Hat
http://www.badongo.com/file/10617006
I have Vols 1-3, which I bought in a record shop in Michigan but have never seen again. If anyone has any other Chanson Cinema releases, I'd love to hear about them.
Back on April 17, you said here about the Guys And Dolls soundtrack:
I believe I do have that Spanish CD you speak of.
This was in reference to my comment:
I have just heard of a reputedly flawed and unauthorized CD released in Spain but I haven't seen it. Soundtrack Collector doesn't list it.
I think we are both referring to a release that has been available from Am@z0n which had such a negative customer review that I’d like to reproduce it here:
Beware, this "soundtrack" CD originated in Spain and apparently used a video master for source material as all the selections contain extraneous sound effects and dialog. Almost like playing a DVD and skipping to the musical sequences. Additional selections are taken from the Decca original cast album and Decca's 45 rpm of Brando's and Simmon's soundtrack selections. All the Decca selections are available on the OFFICIAL MCA Broadway cast album. The glossy, but poorly written, color booklet contains many typos: for example TAKE BACK YOUR MINK is listed as TAKE BACK YOUR MIND! When will a legitimate CD be issued for this soundtrack with the original music masters utilized? The selections are generally well edited and there is a nice stereo spread to some of the selections. However, this CD is no more than a second rate knock-off which would be difficult for me to recommended. A big disappointment, but to be expected considering the lack of an official sound track release in 1955. From an owner.
He got a reply from another customer as follows:
When the Deluxe DVD pkg was released MGM did make it clear that a "true" album would be impossible as the original recording masters has been either lost or destroyed. All that is known to exist are the three tracks from the 45 release from the movie and the original Broadway albums. As there was no film soundtrack album produced due to legal issues at the time, this is likely to be the best we're going to get until it becomes cheaper and easier to isolate background audio elements digitally.
So it’s my guess that we’ll have to wait a long time before an official soundtrack will be issued.
Hello, Finally, I've found a thing to do that maybe interest you. I propose the music (DVD rip) of Artists and Models (1955) with Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Shirley MacLaine and many others. http://www.shareonall.com/Artists_And_Models_ymmn_zip.htm Like mel, tell me what do you think of that. I keep searching !
@ Mel, Sallie, Filmpac - Has anyone posted the soundtrack to "Beau James : The Life and Times of Jimmy Walker"? Music Arranged and Conducted by Joseph J. Lilley
The soundtrack for the Audrey Hepburn - Gary Cooper vehicle, Love in the Afternoon, is today's offering over at the Big 10-Inch Record. I think it's an unusual item, but it's also quite short - an EP of 3 songs. Hope you enjoy, if only for a short time.
@ Isbum,
I think I have Beau James and can rip it if it hasn't been posted here before.
How coincidental - I was watching Who's Minding The Store? yesterday and was very taken with the score - by Joseph J. lilley. I don't think I have come across any releases of his scores anywhere.
I would love to get the soundtrack of Beau James (either from you or buster).
@ buster, dear friend, will you please do me the favor of posting your copy of "Beau James"? I currently have too much going on to put my fullest effort into this worn Lp.
Devotees of Hollywood in times past may know that Martha Raye, in addition to being a leading comic actor, was also a good singer. The Big 10-Inch Record has an LP she made back in the late 40s, complete with a risque number inspired by the then-new Kinsey Report.
Love Martha Raye. You are posting the most remarkable items in your blog. Keep 'em coming - and we also appreciate your letting us know about them here.
Here is a link to the soundtrack LP of Beau James. For those who don't know it, Beau James was a 1957 film with Bob Hope starring as Jazz Age New York Mayor, songwriter, and charming rogue Jimmy Walker.
The soundtrack includes narration by columnist and radio personality Walter Winchell, and songs performed by Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante, and Imogene Lynn dubbing Vera Miles. Most of the selections are standards - Manhattan, Someone to Watch Over Me, Penthouse Serenade, and Sidewalks of New York, along with Walker's own Will You Love Me in December as You Do in May. The other contributions are by music director Joseph J. Lilley.
Lilley worked as arranger with some of Hollywood's biggest stars - Hope, Crosby, Martin and Lewis, and Elvis. I can't say that I find anything exceptional here, but it is pleasant!
I think Mel will appreciate Imogene Lynn - she even gets a credit on the back of the record. She was a band and session vocalist, working with Artie Shaw and the Merry Macs, among others.
Would you all be interested in Paris Holiday, with Hope, Lilley, and two guest appearances by Bing Crosby?
Way back on June 16 you requested a number of soundtracks, some of which have never been released. One of these was The Duchess of Idaho. Well, it's taken us a long time but here it is - our own DVD rip of the music, with Sallie and my best wishes for your continued good health and our thanks for all your wonderful contributions here. The two orchestral tracks of the swimming sequences have a bit of faintly audible water and swimming sounds, but we won't charge you any extra for that! I was unable to find the identity of the composer of the incidental music, so I am assuming that it was Georgie Stoll, the musical director for the film.
Here you go: http://rapidshare.com/files/134783299/DOI.rar.html
Enjoy.
I would like to request from the very talented RetroBoy: can you make us a cover for it?
@ mel & Sallie - thank you so much. Duchess of Idaho sounds wonderful.
One of my fondest memories during a short-lived career as a theater critic was getting to meet Van Johnson at an opening night party.
He was the epitome of old Hollywood style flamboyance and charm. He was so sweet to my girlfriend and I that we just about died! He's still one of my favorites.
It's not particularly artful, but here's a nice rectangular color poster of Van & Esther for Duchess that you can use as a cover if RetroBoy can't come up with something:
You are most welcome for The Duchess Of Idaho soundtrack. Thank you for your kind comments.
Thank you also for the cover you found - but it’s a lobby card - I was thinking more in terms of adapting a poster into a square format and incorporating the word “soundtrack” somewhere in it - but that’s for more talented and artistic hands than mine…
@ carline - this may be asking a lot, but it seems like the shareonall site is gone and there were several things you posted that I hadn't downloaded yet.
Was wondering if you could repost to a different site?
Hi, all - very short post about a very short musical - European Holiday, a Mitch Miller presentation with Jill Corey and Jerry Vale, made for SAS airlines in the 50s, when air travel MUST have been more fun than it is today. Now available at the Big 10-Inch Record.
My very good buddy, back in May you requested the soundtrack of Night And Day. Now that I have just got a copy of the movie I have done you a rip of the songs. It was a difficult one for two reasons: (a) the audio level is very low, and (b) in some of the musical numbers there are some cutaway scenes which include dialog and sound effects which spoil the numbers and make it hard to edit them. But I did the best I could. All in all, I don’t think it came out too badly.
Here is the link, mate: http://rapidshare.com/files/136115085/NAD.rar.html
@ mel - Wow! What can I say? Take a bow my friend, s'wonderful, s'marvellous... sensational! It sounds absolutely great, and apart from just a couple of abrupt cutoffs, I would never know this was a DVD rip. Wonderful to hear these songs again, my friend, and cannot thank you enough:))
@ carline - I can't let you get away without a big hearty THANKS either. I am yet to download, but I can only imagine the amount of work involved in these DVD rips. So many great musicals I never thought I could listen to without watching the movie, it's just incredible what you all achieve.
Hi, everyone - I really appreciate all the DVD rips you have been offering.
Quite a few of you were interested in the Jo Stafford item I posted recently. There's another one now available, and I think it's even better. It consists of folk song arrangements she recorded back in the 40s.
My series of soundtracks from 10-inch LPs continues with Pagan Love Song, which Howard Keel warbled to Esther Williams, and vice versa. Along with the songs from that album, I've also included three deleted numbers from diverse sources, as a bonus.
The music here is mostly by Harry Warren, and the orchestrations by Conrad Salinger, both among the best Hollywood had to offer. Which reminds me - I have a semi-rare instrumental LP by Salinger, if anyone is interested.
@ Sallie, Mel & Quinlan - Segroeg posted this in the European shop and listening to it, I can't help but feel each of you will find something to like in this collection.
Grand music, perhaps from the latter portion of the Golden Age.
Louis De Funes vol.2 http://rapidshare.com/files/135751590/ldf2.rar
Give it a go kids! Whatta ya got to loose? ;)Enjoy!
A while back I offered the music from the Bob Hope film Beau James, and mentioned that I also had the album from Hope's Paris Holiday, which has the same music director (Joseph J. Lilley). I'm now ready to share that Hope-Fernandel-Anita Ekberg-Martha Hyer affair:
The big attraction on the record is the appearance of Bing Crosby in two duets with Hope - Paris Holiday and Nothing in Common. Both were written by Cahn and Van Heusen. They often wrote for Sinatra and the blue-eyed one recorded Nothing in Common with Keely Smith. The Hope-Crosby version is strongly reminiscent of Road to Morocco and similar items by the pair.
Crosby appears on this record even though he does not appear in the film. To make things even more confusing, Nothing in Common was cut from the film, where it was to be sung by Hope and Hyer.
The album also contains two Parisian chestnuts (The Last Time I Saw and April in). Th rest of the tunes are by Lilley.
By the way - over on my own blog (Big 10-Inch Record), the latest offerings are actor-singer Polly Bergen's first album and a set of Western dances by Adolph Hofner and his San Antonians. Bergen made films and I think Hofner may have made one or two himself, so maybe I'm not too far off-topic if I mention those items here.
Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter are the musical attractions of the latest soundtrack on the Big 10-Inch Record.
The film is Two Weeks with Love, best known these days for Aba Dabba Honeymoon, the Reynolds-Carpenter duet that was featured in one of the That's Entertainment films.
How about a Diana Lynn album? Diana Lynn, you say? Wasn't she an actress?
(Enough with the questions already.)
Diana actually started out as a piano prodigy, and broke into pictures that way. She did made a number of piano records that Capitol collected into an album, one that now can be found on your favorite (not to mention the world's only) blog devoted 10-inch records, the Big 10-Inch Record.
This one is in response to a request by Mel, which I am happy to fill!
Hello, I'm just found this blog, and I was wondering if anyone can help me locate the original cast recording for Guys and Dolls (with Marlon Brando)- I have been looking for it everywhere! Thanks
Not sure if this quite falls under the Golden Age of Hollywood, but it was written by the great Jimmy Van Heusen/Sammy Cahn team:
Anyone have a recording of 1964's Les Poupées de Paris (an "adult" puppet show soundtrack that includes the voices of Pearl Bailey, Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse, Tony Martin and Liberace among others)
I was looking up Pearl Bailey recordings and came upon this for the first time and it sounds interesting. LP only.
Also, Frank Loesser's Variety Girl or Happy Go Lucky or Thank Your Lucky Stars? Thanks.
Kathryn Grayson was one of the great MGM stars, and we pay tribute to her today over at the Big 10-Inch Record. I've posted her 10-inch album Kathryn Grayson Sings and added tracks from two other MGM albums to make a 15-song set. Good stuff!
Does anyone know if there has ever been a soundtrack from "The Gang's All Here"? Would be most appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you!
@Buster You proposed a Conrad Salinger album. That's a very good idea because without him ,from musicals to epic films like The Prisoner of Zenda,the MGM sound would have been not so fabulous.
If you love the sound of MGM movies, you'll enjoy the latest post at the Big 10-Inch Record. It's the only LP ever made by Conrad Salinger, the orchestrator who was responsible for such numbers as Singin' in the Rain and The Trolley Song. It's something of a rarity, and a tribute to someone who ought to be as famous as pop arrangers such as Nelson Riddle or Gordon Jenkins.
@ Carline,
Hey - thanks for the DVD rips. Seeing Down Argentine Way reminds me of my labors many years ago to tape the movie off TV, then transfer the songs to tape. What a pain. That tape's gotta be around here somewhere, but I look forward to listening to your new version. And in that regard, I can't get that particular file to download properly. There are errors when I try to unzip the file. The other two worked just fine. Anyway, thanks again, and hope you enjoyed your vacation!
In the days of videotape, I was doing exactly the same as you did - taping the music off the films. I could never get good audio quality, though. Today, with the advantage of digital technology, things are easier, more flexible and the audio is a whole lot better. All you need is the time...
Hello everyone, Wow, it does work after all (technically) I tried to post before but something didn't work (most presumably what didn't work was me)
....after having said 'thanks' (which comes grom the heart) next thing is a wish, a request: maybe you have:
-"lilies of the Field" (1963, Goldsmith) -"the long hot summer" ((1958, Alex North) -Gallipoli (1981)
some others I found myself (party at: "you don't have to visit...." and that's how I found this blog) and with help, but I can't seem to get a hold of these....
Has anyone ever done (or come across) a dvd rip of the songs from "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol"? A terrific Styne/Merrill score. I think I had an LP of it years ago. (I'll cross post at the B'way blog.)
What a neat place!! Has anyone seen a digital recording of the musical, EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS? I don't think its every been released on CD (or the movie on DVD).
Kathryn Grayson and Gordon Macrae teamed up for the Warner Bros.' 1953 version of The Desert Song. There was no original cast album, but Grayson recorded the songs with Tony Martin for RCA Victor and Macrae joined with Lucille Norman for a Capitol LP.
Unwilling to choose, the Big 10-Inch Record will be presenting both versions, starting with the Grayson recording. This ought to be of special interest to Grayson fans. This set has never been re-released, as far as I know. We'll have the Capitol LP a little later on.
Hello All! I am really surprised that I can not find this classic british comedy CD posted anywhere!! It is called "Hammer Comedy Film Music Collection" and features various british film music from Hammer Films' comedies of the 1970's. Would anyone have this rare out-of-print collection available? Thanks to you all.
I like this comp a lot - some fun and quaint music. Man About The House is my personal preference, anything involving Sally Thomsett and a track titled "The Chase to Thames Television" can't fail! Hope you enjoy.
Mary Queen of Scots. complete score from isolated score DVD. 48 titles. Good sound. This is my first post ! i hope you will enjoy this great score by Master John Barry. Regards. http://rapidshare.de/files/40575141/mary-score.zip.html
And now for the second part of our tribute to the 1953 film The Desert Song. In this case, the Big 10-Inch Record has the recodings of its songs that male lead Gordon MacRae made around the same time with Lucille Norman.
As a bonus, we also have the MacRae-Norman version of Roberta as well. As far as I know, neither of these have been rereleased.
A search for the Richard Rodney Bennet score to "Yanks" came up with an expired link on YDHTRTBlog, referencing Isbum. I lose track of which blog is whose, but if this LP rip is around anywhere, please point me in the right direction! Thanks much --
I just wanted to let everyone know that Mel's mom passed away peacefully this morning. Due to their traditions in Israel, he will not be available until sometime next month. He wanted me to let everyone know so that they don't worry.
@ Sallie - Thank you. Do these traditions allow Mel to read emails? I will send my condolences to him, but please know that he'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
Mel probably won't be reading emails for a while. The traditions of a death require a long period of mourning. His mother was living in Johannesburg, South Africa where Mel is originally from, so he will be traveling there for the funeral.
He assured me that he would be back on as soon as possible to update all of us.
I did want to let everyone know about the latest post at the Big 10-Inch Record. It is almost all of the rare commercial recordings made by Irene Dunne, one of the stars of the 1930s versions of Roberta and Show Boat. These are all recordings of Jerome Kern songs, and I don't think any of them have been in circulation for decades (the usual disclaimer - as far as I can tell). Hope you enjoy!
We have something for fans of obscure movie musical records over at the Big 10-Inch Record. It's the soundtrack from the 1951 film Painting the Clouds with Sunshine, featuring Dennis Morgan and Lucille Norman.
Hello again, one more rare soundtrack for lovers of old musicals on the Big 10-Inch Record, this time the 1953 soundtrack from the Eddie Cantor Story, with Cantor himself doing his biggest hits.
My heartfelt thanks are due firstly to my dear friend Sallie who, with her customary graciousness, per my request conveyed to you the news of my mom’s passing and thus the reason for my absence.
I would also like to thank Isbum, Tony, Filmpac, Buster, Seasy, Ruggo, Sorei and Carline for posting here their kind messages of condolence and sympathy; also to those who sent e-mails.
My mom was 96 and her health had been deteriorating for a few months, so her passing was not unexpected. My family and I will miss her very much.
I would just like to mention that it is largely due to her influence that I became addicted to music at a very early age; and if that hadn’t been the case I may not been lucky enough to have met such wonderful people as all of you here.
If anyone wants to piece together a cover for Mel, I have front cover scans in the file (2 parts) that need joining. I normally do this by piecing them together on a program and printing...ahem! Long story short I'm out of ink so I can't do it. Thanks for any help!
Track List 1. That Great Come and Get It Day 2. C'est si Bon 3. Oh, Baby Mine 4. Ciu Ciu Bella 5. Down by the Riverside 6. South Rampart Street Parade 7. Ballin' the Jack 8. I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Cocoanuts 9. The Story of Alice 10. Turn Around
Thank you again for the Danny Kaye album. You are truly a great guy. It's quite remarkable what you people in the US can find in your second-hand shops and flea-markets there. We haven't got a hope to find such things and I am very grateful to you for thinking of me when you saw it - it's a real treasure.
Using the material you thoughtfully provided, I have pieced together the front cover of the album and it came out quite well. I did it in the computer - no need for printing or using ink. I have had to do this before a number of times. All you need is a little time and patience.
I will post it here tomorrow morning our time as rapidshare traffic is too heavy right now.
@ mel My very dear friend October has been very hectic on my side for a number of reasons. I've been away from home and found myself running behind schedule upon my return. I am still trying to catch up with my usual activities and among them visiting my favorite blog at isbum's place. I mean that I couldn't dedicate as much time to this blog as it deserves and as a consequence was rather late this month in preparing the monthly link list. I'm almost thru it and just started to review the comments in your shop "Golden Age Of Hollywood" 5 minutes ago. That's where I found out the very sad news of your mother passing. I feel very bad not to have been able to offer you my condolences in due time and would like to tell you that my thoughts and prayers are with you and express my sincere and deepest sympathy. God bless you and your family. I wish you all the very best.
@ Quinlan - As you continue to catch up, you will find that November was a month of much loss and distress among the friends here. While I have your attention, Quinlan. Would you prefer just waiting until next month to publish the Excel files? It would be fine with me and perhaps take the burden off you for a month. Let me know either via email or here.
My dear pal, please do not feel bad. I knew that you had not been around and that obviously it would take you some time to catch up with things on your return. It's nice to have you back with us.
Thank you most sincerely for your kind expressions of condolence and sympathy on the loss of my mother.
I well remember that you had been away following the passing of your dear father in law's passing, only to find that our then home ScoreBaby Annex had disappeared on your return, and you contacted me at my dormant blog to find out where we all were. For this reason I still go to my old blog every day just to see whether I will ever get another such message!
Would that all our messages could be happy ones...
I wish you health, peace and pleasant listening always.
@ mel Thany you very much for your understanding and kind words. I'm very touched that you remember so well all these details. I do remember them too. Time has flown since and the essential thing to me is that our friendship has developed and will continue to do so. Best
@ all At last the link summaries as of October 31 have been posted in the usual space. I'd like to ask you to forgive me for not beeing as punctual as usual due to exceptional circumstances. It's to be noted that October is a record month in terms of number of links. We achieved a total number of 527 links only for Filmscorium as opposed to 389 in September or 284 in August. The last month recording more links than the current one was September 2007 with 684 links. So it's nice to see that the crisis is not with us... I'd like also to catch this opportunity to give you a reminder, in particular to the welcome and so productive newcomers. If you appreciate what I'm doing you can be of a tremendous help to me in making sure that your links are clearly described with the album title and the artist(s) name(s), the way you would like them to be reported in the link lists I prepare. In addition, if you use the hyper link technique, please report the complete link as the hyper link. Words like "here", or "click" oblige me to open the link to be able to copy and paste it. In this respect look at what filmpac is doing which is perfect for me. Also, if you refer to a request, please repeat the album and artist name. If you just say, when answering the request, "here is what you wanted", it obliges me to go back to the request which sometimes was raised several days earlier, to identify the link. So, you would oblige me by accepting to follow these little rules. It would save me a lot of time. Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
I downloaded the Danny Kaye album below a few days ago and while listening to it found that the Bonus track from The Court Jester (the famous Vessel with the Pestle dialogue) was 4:35 min of silence. The rest of the album was fine.
Could anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong?
Thank you
"The Court Jester" + "Hans Christian Andersen", @192: http://rapidshare.com/files/31815111/DK-HansTheCourtJester.rar
Thank you for uploading the single file. I downloaded it, used WinRar to extract and tried playing it with Windows Media Player. Again, I got nothing but silence. :(
Then I thought I'd try opening the file in iTunes. I selected the 'convert to mp3' advanced option and then tried playing it again with Windows Media Player.
Success.
I don't know why just this one file was so finicky but I'm so glad to have found a solution.
You're most welcome. It's possible that most people, me included, play their MP3s with Winamp which doesn't seem to have a problem with this track - and this is possibly why you are only the second person to mention it. I dunno. Anyway, all's well that ends well.
Thanks so much for dropping by, and I hope you will continue to visit us!
Thanks so much for the welcome. I wish I had something to contribute to the group but everything appropriate I have has already been offered.
At the bottom of the bin are:
Andrew Powell - Ladyhawke Movie Soundtrack(GNP Crescendo Records) Fred Mollin - Forever Knight TV Soundtrack (GNP Crescendo Records) Fred Mollin - More Music From Forever Knight (GNP Crescendo Records) Steve Dorff and Larry Herbstritt - Alien Nation Television Score (GNP Crescendo Records) Sigmund Romberg - Mario Lanza Sing The Student Prince & The Desert Song Frank Loesser - Guys and Dolls (The New Broadway Cast Recording)
How funny! I have been looking for the Mario Lanza goodies that you mentioned above - Sigmund Romberg, The Student Prince and The Desert Song. It would be wonderful if you could post those (not all at once, of course but whenever you are able).
Thank you so much for your kind offer - and I am sure that if anyone else visiting us here are interested in getting any of the others, they will request them.
Here for the Fan a Selection of My Musical collection I hope you will enjoy them.
Oklahoma the Songs
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3KJDQZ8A
Oklahoma the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RD1BYPUP Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NTFZC54F Part 2
The King and I the cast
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5X8S8049 Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H6VNGTA0 Part 2
The King and I the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9FOO8AZZ Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=29SS7UZ0 Part 2
Kiss me Kate the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OTPFCC8A Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=STS8DKSD Part 2
Kismet The Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2G1S2NVH Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QCIL2MIS Part 2
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GYFGRPLU Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MTQ638M5 Part 2
Carousel the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9XNC35L9 Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=218HUTYW Part 2
My Fair Lady the Soundtrack
http://rapidshare.com/files/153329070/Lerner___Loewe_My_Fair_Lady_1.rar Part 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/153339059/Lerner___Loewe_My_Fair_Lady_2.rar Part 2
Goodbye Mr. Chips The Original Soundtrack Only LP issued
http://rapidshare.com/files/138713952/John_Williams_goodbye_Mr_Chips__1.rar Part 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/138719446/John_Williams_goodbye_Mr_Chips__2.rar Part 2
The Sound Of Music
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NGXV6K59 Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K6UZLH2T Part 2
The Complete Artwork could be find on the Art Department.
I was still uploading, slowly, the rip I made this morning (@320) but decided to visit and saw that Jean beat me to the punch. It's only one CD, mel, unfortunately.
Somebody beating you to the punch happens here occasionally - it's just one of those things. In no way does it diminish my appreciation for your kindness in ripping and posting your Mario Lanza CD - and remember that it's always good to have mirror links anyway.
Thank you so much for doing that and for being with us here.
No requests right now, thanks, but I thought I'd post a guilty pleasure. Quality is iffy and the source of the original file is murky (found on blog as a single mp3, edited by a fellow LJer into separate tracks during which the bit rate went from 128 to 256) but I had to share anyway.
OST Jupiter's Darling 1955 @256 (Howard Keele and Esther Williams)
@ LaraQ Welcome on the blog and thank you so much for sharing Jupiter's Darling OST. keep your excellent work !
@ Jean Bienvenue parmi les passionnés d'Hollywood. Merci de partager votre impressionante collection de musicals et vos blogs semblent passionnants mais quel dommage il m'est impossible d'y accéder ! Carline (France)
Je vous remerçie de cet acceuil sympa, cela fait maintenant 48 ans que je suis passioné de musique de film ce qui comprend également les comédies musicales.
Pour me rendre visite il vous suffit de m'envoyer un e-mail mon adresse se trouve dans mon profil. Un petit bonjour suffit j'ai juste besoin de votre adresse, connue seleument de moi-même. Merci a vous et peut-être à bientôt .
1,084 comments:
«Oldest ‹Older 201 – 400 of 1084 Newer› Newest»@ Sallie and Mel - Congratulations on turning a page here in The Golden Age!
Thanks for all the joy you bring!
@ styxinen - Thanks for all the Bing you bring! :))
The latest in my series of soundtracks on 10-inch LP is another Joan Crawford epic. Only this time (unlike Torch Song) she is not the dubee - John Garfield is, with violinist Isaac Stern doing the dubbing.
The movie is Humoresque, and the music is Franz Waxman's takes on chestnuts by Dvorak, Rimsky-Korsakov, and Sarasate. Waxman also decides that some excerpts from Tristan and Isolde would benefit from Stern and Oscar Levant being added in solo roles. Some music lovers may disagree (as I do), but I suppose this music has some kind of symbolic resonance with the plot, which has Garfield as a poor-but-noble fiddler, and Crawford as a socialite who fancies him. I wonder, did Wagner had someone like Crawford in mind when he composed Tristan?
Well, maybe not. You can find the music and additional deep artistic commentary at Big 10-Inch Record.
@ Styxinen
Thank you for the rest of the Bings.
I tried about ten times yesterday to download the Astaire without success because of rapidshare’s new captcha idea which replaces the cats, and is totally impossible to fathom. Thankfully their happy hour kicked in this morning and I could grab it.
If there is any Astaire stuff that you are looking for, please request it here - there’s always a chance that we may be able to help.
@ isbum
On behalf of Sallie and myself, thank you for your warm words of congratulations and for your continuous support and encouragement for all of us shopkeepers here at Franklynot.
@ buster
Thank you for your tip about Humoresque. I have always been impressed about the way the violin playing in the film was so cleverly faked (from the visual aspect).
I am also into the dubbling by instrumentalists in films. One of the most prolific, albeit almost completely unknown pianist who spent a lot of his professional life doing this was the virtuoso Ray Turner. His only claim to fame was his recording the piano pieces in the famous children’s 78 album Sparky’s Magic Piano.
In anyone is interested in Ray Turner, I have several rare recordings by him that I can post here.
Wondering if any of you fine people have a couple of elusive vocal albums, or could direct me to a site that has?
Michael Feinstein's EMI release "Over There" - a collection of war-time songs.
Also: Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson (Riddle). Has some nice Jerome Kern songs on it.
Many thanks in advance.
@ seasy
Hello, my old friend, and a hearty welcome to our shop.
The two albums you requested seem to be unquestionably elusive and I don't think they have been shared anywhere.
If I can locate either or both of them I'll be sure to let you know.
@ mel & seasy - 2 of my local libraries have Michael Feinstein's EMI release "Over There" , so I should have a copy in a few days to post.
No Ella Swings Brightly, I'm afraid. Although 2 have Ella Swings Gently with Nelson if anyone wants that.
I'm still working on the 5-disc Oscar box - have to clear some space off my drive first.
Also just got Sound of the Movies: Irving Berlin which has Alexander's Ragtime Band, Four Jills and a Jeep, This is the Army and On the Avenue. Anyone interested?
@ mindy
Thank you for offering to post the Michael Feinstein for seasy. I too have Ella Swings Gently, and also Ella Swings Lightly (both with Nelson Riddle).
No hurry for the Oscar box. Take your time.
Sound Of The Movies: Irving Berlin sounds perfect to be posted here.
Thank you so much. I hope you're feeling fine and that you'll stay that way.
@ Mel & Mindy
Many thanks for your efforts to find the Feinstein & Ella albums.
I look forward to the former in due course.
Cheers
seasy
Here is the Sound Of The Movies: Irving Berlin set that I mentioned.
Disc 1: http://sharebee.com/521e3353
(On the Avenue; Four Jills in a Jeep)
Disc 2: http://sharebee.com/f3761b26
(Alexander's Ragtime Band; In the Army)
@ mindy
Thank you very much for the Irving Berlin set.
I look forward to listening to them.
@ ALL - 3 DAYS LEFT TO PICK AND POST A TRACK FOR BIG WESTERN ACTION 2.
Hop to it Cowboys & Girls!
Re-up of an old favorite originally posted at You Don't Have To Visit This Blog, by our good friend Rocket From Mars (I think). Enjoy...
Soundtrack "Pepe" (1960), LP @160:
http://rapidshare.com/files/125552630/OST-Pepe.zip
01 - Shirley Jones - Pepe
02 - Maurice Chevalier - Mimi
03 - Maurice Chevalier - September Song
04 - Sammy Davis, Jr. - Hooray For Hollywood
05 - Andre Previn - The Rumble
06 - Bobby Darin - That's How It Went, All Right
07 - Judy Garland - The Far Side Of Town
08 - Johnny Green - Suzy's Theme
09 - Bing Crosby - Pennies From Heaven-Let's Fall In Love-South Of The Border
10 - Shirley Jones - Lovely Day
@ mindy - Thank you very much for the Irving Berlin set, sounds super!
@ buster - Keep up the great work at Big 10 Inch Records, I am much loving your postings from the world of stage and screen:)
Hi everyone - a while back I put an obscure Danny Kaye album of Gilbert & Sullivan on the Big 10-Inch Record and was pleasantly surprised with the response. So I'm back with another Kaye record (his first). I know Mel is a Dan fan, so I'm hoping he'll find it of interest.
Many thanks for the encouraging comments from Filmpac, Rocket, Mel, and many others on my blog! This site is just great.
@Mindy - thanks for the Berlin stuff. It includes some Dick Haymes numbers that I remember dubbing off a Beta Hi-Fi videotape about 20 years ago. Now I can get rid of the resulting cassette (assuming I can find it).
"North By Northwest" R@co edition
by Bernard Herrmann
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ET42T84I
"Cleopatra" 2 Cd edition
by Alex North
Disc 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DUDVV92R
Disc 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z9UO4J8E
does this barge make my asp look fat?
Just a note to let you know that the Big 10-Inch Record now has another one of those obscure records from Hollywood past. This one is called Slaughter on Tenth Avenue. That music is well known, of course, but the bulk of the LP is from the Cyd Charisse ballet firm Unfinished Dance, which is not.
Please stop by!
Does anyone know of the location for a download of Miklos Rozsa's score for "The V.I.P.s"? Not as well known as his score for "Ben Hur" or "Spellbound" but worthwhile. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks!
@ David79801
Here a link for Miklos Rozsa's score "The V.I.P.s" @320
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X4L92CJU
Enjoy
Wow, that was fast! Real VIP treatment! Most of what's in my collection has been downloaded from you guys, but if anyone wants "Picnic" (George Duning) or a double disk of "Murder on the Orient Express/Death on the Nile" (Richard Rodney Bennett/Nino Rota) I'll be happy to oblige.
@ Everyone-
I just wanted to stop in and say hello! I hope everyone in the wonderful USA had a great Independence Day.
@ styxinen-
Thanks for sharing the Bing Crosby. That is a lot of wonderful material. I myself have been hunting for years, the original recording of To See You is To Love You. Bing sang it in Road to Bali (this is the only copy I can find). It was also sung in Rear Window- and that version is the one I'm trying to get!
@ seasy - Sorry it took awhile. Here is Michael Feinstein's album Over There:
http://sharebee.com/32ccf984
For everyone else, here's a bonus upload. The OST of There's No Business Like Show Business. One of my movie faves:
http://sharebee.com/c263a74e
@ Mindy
Thank you so much for the Michael Feinstein.
Much appreciated.
Cheers
Seasy
Hey everyone-
I've come across a few films that I am going to post soundtracks for in a few days-
April Love/Tammy and the Bachelor (combo release)
Duchess of Idaho
Skirts Ahoy
The above two I'm going to have to do dvd rips of the music. Mindy, I think I remember you requesting one of them. The music, especially from Duchess of Idaho is definitely worth having. Stay tuned!
Thought it might be appropriate to leave a note here, as well as in the Filmscorium. Sophia Loren provides some vocals to a charming score...
Alessandro Cicognini "It Started In Naples" (1960), @VBR:
http://rapidshare.com/files/128766007/AC-ItStartedInNaples.zip
@ sallie - Having enjoyed some of your quality DVD rips before, I am looking forward to these new ones. It continues to amaze me how much from the Golden Age has never been released, in any format. Many thanks in advance.
@ mindy - Thanks for the brassy No Business, love it!
@ quinlan - Do not list, also posted at the Filmscorium. Thanks mate.
Walt Disney once wanted to make a musical version of Alice in Wonderland with Ginger Rogers as Alice. That movie never got made, but the music and songs - by Frank Luther and Victor Young - were recorded, and can now by found over at the Big 10-Inch Record.
Ginger isn't a great singer, I'm afraid. But perhaps the strangest aspect of this recording is that the role of the White Rabbit is taken by Elmer Fudd. (Honest!)
Now available over at the Big 10-Inch Record: the songs from a very obscure 1956 TV special called Warner's Color TV Fashion Show. This was sponsored by a maker of women's undergarments, and the music involves "famous figures" - the Empress Josephine, Sheherazade, and the Ziegfeld girl. The songs are by Michael ("Lizzie Borden") Brown, and the singers are the fairly well-known Jack Haskell and the obscure Margot Cole.
This was actually a promo record for the show sent out to stores, presumably ones that carried Warner's products.
@ buster - thanks so much for the Alice in Wonderland and the Fashion Show, what great treasures.
@ mel & anyone else interested. Here, finally, is the box set "The Envelope Please...Academy Award Winning Songs 1934-1993"
One unfortunate thing I did notice was that some of the songs, especially later ones, aren't always done by the original film artist. For example, it is Paul William's version of Evergreen, not Barbra's. etc.
But it's still a pretty cool set:
Academy Award Winning Songs 1934-45 http://sharebee.com/839ee615
Academy Award Winning Songs 1946-57 http://sharebee.com/a17c7608
Academy Award Winning Songs 1958-69 http://sharebee.com/a6a43951
Academy Award Winning Songs 1970-81 http://sharebee.com/506ba075
Academy Award Winning Songs 1982-93 http://sharebee.com/e8eee4b6
Hello everybody,
I visit your blog almost every day since few weeks. I'm very grateful to Quinlan for sharing with me your wonderful blog.
I'm keen on American musicals and I have a blog dedicated to : hollywoodmusicals@blogspot.com
But you have a so amazing collection of soundtracks that I'm a little bit embarassed, I don't know what I can post and unfortunately I don't have very much.
I took a lot from your blog but now it's time to share !
I propose you the soundtrack of Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942).
This is the link http://www.shareonall.com/Yankee_Doodle_dandy_tnhk_zip.htm
Hoping that will you satisfy and I'll look for other things that maybe will interest you.
Excuse me for my bad english, I'm french !
@ mindy
Very many thanks for posting the Academy Award Winning Songs set.
I will download it at the earliest opportunity.
@ carline
Welcome and thank you for your kind words and your contribution.
@ carline -- checked out your blog and it is very impressive. I did notice a few of the links had expired - like Top Hat & Give a Girl a Break. Could you perhaps repost those?
@ all - Carline's blog gave me a whole new list of Golden Age soundtracks to look for/request. Here's a few she had info on but no links:
What a Way to Go
You Were Never Lovelier
Cover Girl
That Night in Rio
Dolly Sisters
The Gang's All Here
Down Argentine Way
Daddy Long Legs
Ziegfeld Girl
Great Ziegfeld
My Blue Heaven
Pin-Up Girl
Lullaby of Broadway
Also, is there interest here in a CD I picked up today that has the soundtracks for all the Hope/Crosby "Road to...." films?
Hello,
Thank you very much for your kindness. My blog recently took off, so I do my best to repost, I was just waiting that someone ask me to do it !
I propose you :
Top Hat
http://www.shareonall.com/Top_Hat_bcnh_zip.htm
Shall We Dance
http://www.shareonall.com/Shall_We_Dance_gbxy_zip.htm
Swing Time
http://www.shareonall.com/Swing_Time_kiwx_zip.htm
And I've added Bathing Beauty
http://www.shareonall.com/Bathing_Beauty_laug_zip.htm
I know that Give A Girl A Break isn't available on CD (and DVD too, It's a shame) so I have done my own !
http://www.shareonall.com/Give_A_Girl_A_Break_qqnv_zip.htm
Hoping that you'll enjoy.
It would be wonderful if somobody have the Rhino OST of Good News, Best Foot Forward, Du Barry Was A Lady and the fabulous 6 Cd's Box-Set of That's Entertainment ?
@ carline
Thank you for your invaluable contributions.
You have a really wonderful blog - I'm sorry I didn't know about it before.
Unfortunately I could not access your 28-track download for The Unsinkable Molly Brown...
@ mindy
I have only four of the list you requested per Carline's blog, and here is the first one - Lullaby Of Broadway - short and sweet, with thanks to the original uploader (could have been filmpac):
http://rapidshare.com/files/130408813/DDLOB.rar.html
Others will follow soon.
@ mindy
I was able to download Carline’s rip of Give A Girl A Break without a problem. She did a great job, and the music and songs are quite delightful. Try downloading with the megaupload choice.
Here is Nelson Riddle’s score for What A Way To Go - thanks to the original uploader:
http://rapidshare.com/files/130419368/WWTG.rar.html
More to come!
@ mindy
Here is Alex North’s ballet music for Daddy Long Legs. I’m afraid that three tracks was all there was of it on the CD; the balance being taken up by another soundtrack. Seems today that good things come in small packages…:
http://rapidshare.com/files/130425416/DLLB.rar.html
I will e-mail the fourth and final request to you for The Gang’s All Here, for reasons I’d rather not discuss here.
If anyone else wants it, e-mail me at mel468@gmail.com .
@ mel & carline - thanks so much for all the wonderful download links. That should keep me busy for a few days :)
We're in the midst of a lengthy heatwave, so being inside with the AC downloading great soundtracks sounds like an excellent way to spend the time.
@ mel - The link to Molly Brown that Carline has, is linked directly to The Singing Stage site. It would appear that that site is currently dead, totally, and not just private. Perhaps Mindy could confirm?
@ carline - If you have Molly Brown, could I request a re-up here please? Nice blog you have there, and thanks for the rip of "Give A Girl A Break", very nice:)
@ filmpac
If my memory serves me correctly, I was very excited when I saw that the Singing Stage site (when it was still up and running) was offering the 28-track The Unsinkable Molly Brown. I downloaded it, and I was most disappointed to find that it was the same 13-track version which we already have! It seems that the expanded version is very elusive. Bummer…
@ mel - Molly Brown is elusive indeed. Sigh. Could you please share the link for "The Gang's All Here" with Isbum, via his email? I'm sure he'd be interested himself, and I certainly am. Thanks.
Wish I had been checking out The Singing Stage more frequently now, it still seems dead to the world.
@ filmpac
With pleasure, I'll send the link for The Gang's All Here to you via isbum.
It was impossible to keep up with The Singing Stage - there was just too much stuff posted there...
@ jean
To keep you going, you can download the following of your wants, thanks to two great blogs:
From the blog Singin’ And Swingin’, go here to get the links for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers:
http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/search?q=seven+brides+for+seven+brothers
From the blog Viagemusical, go here for Calamity Jane:
http://viagemusical-trilhas.blogspot.com/2008/05/calamity-jane.html
and from the same blog go here for My Fair Lady:
http://viagemusical-trilhas.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-fair-lady.html
Oklahoma! and Finian’s Rainbow will take a little longer to find. I will get them to you as soon as possible.
@ mel
Thank you very much for The Lullaby Of Broadway and Daddy Long Legs, the music is beautiful.
I already had What A Way To Go, but I was disapointed, the Nelson Riddle score is not the original and same thing for Can Can I had too.
You can rest I have already Oklahoma and Finian's Rainbow for Jean :
http://www.shareonall.com/Oklahoma_vfvv_zip.htm
http://www.shareonall.com/Finians_Rainbow_vnfw_zip.htm
@ mel and filmpac
Concerning Molly Brown I only have 13 tracks.
http://www.shareonall.com/The_Unsinkable_Molly_Brown_xzid_zip.htm
They come from The Singing Stage. This blog was fantastic but now it's a private access. All the instructions are explain in http://thesingingstage.blogspot.com/
With all the things you have it will not be a problem to be a member !
@ carline
I'm sorry but I don't have an original score for What A Way To Go and I am not sure whether it was released.
Thank you for uploading Oklahoma! and Finian's Rainbow for jean.
@ mel - Thank you so much for the links I got "My Fair lady and " Calamity jane " For The Seven Brides for Seven brothers I think the Link are Dead.
@ Carline- Thanks for the links but I must be Stupid :-) I'm realy dont find the way to Download I create an account and i'm logged in But There are no indication of the Links. There are well Link to Download: but nothing More.
But please don't taking your head for that that's very nice of you to help me , I will try to find them by Caiman Zone , i'm one of her best customer :-) :-)
Thanks for everything.
@ mel- Thank you for the great job you make for Help me, I'm find them all at Caiman Zone, I will got them in 7 days , when I receive them i'm will shared those for your shop including cover and all. There are all the expended one.
@ jean
Use this link for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers:
http://rapidshare.com/files/15284789/Seven_Brides_For_Seven_Brothers_mp3.rar
It works for me.
@ mel- Thank you mel it's working for me to.
@ mel - Good news, I've located "Unsinkable Molly Brown", 28-track edition, coming sloooowly down the line now. Might be a day or so.
Request please:
I've just spotted the soundtrack to Jumbo, starring Doris Day, on the Singin' & Swingin' blog, posted on May 19th 2008, but the link is dead already. Did anyone happen to grab this, and could share here please?
@ filmpac
Quickly because is very very late in France, the Billy Rose's Jumbo request :
http://www.shareonall.com/Billy_Roses_Jumbo_slla_zip.htm
Hoping that will work !
Here is what's going on in the ongoing series of stage and screen items on the Big 10-Inch Record - the Hollywood version of Rose Marie, with Howard Keel, Ann Blyth, Fernando Lamas, and Bert Lahr, who duets with Marjorie Main (!). Stop by!
Many,many Thanks for Rose Marie, that's all my youth wich came back, this is so beautiful, Thanks again.
By yhe way did anymone knows something about "The Student Prince" played by Edmound Purdom and dubbed by Mario Lanza ? ( Original Soundtack Only )
@ mel & carline - Molly Brown has arrived! The 28-track deluxe expanded version, starring Debbie Reynolds & Harve Presnell. Thanks to the original unknown ripper, our quest is over...
Meredith Wilson "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" (1964), deluxe @224:
http://rapidshare.com/files/131258979/OST-UnsinkableMollyBrown.zip
@ carline - Thanks for the speedy response on Jumbo, I grabbed it straight away for fear it would disappear again. Super!
@ buster - Thanks also for so many great offerings from stage & screen on your wonderful blog. Alice In Wonderland is an absolute treat!
@ filmpac
You're a star (as usual)!
Thanks a million for The Unsinkable Molly Brown expanded version.
@ mel
Hello my dear friend,
Belated but hearty thanks for your submission of Alex North "Daddy Long Legs" Ballet Music.
I remember asking carline on her very fine blog whether she had "Daddy Long Legs" OST after seing a post of that movie without any download link.
She kindly answered that she did not have it and was looking for it.
Since then, I came to the conclusion that unfortunately a complete OST of this film has never been released.
The three tracks of the Alex North Ballet are from a 20 tracks CD dedicated to Alex North with the complete OST of Henry Hathaway's "The Racers" (17 tracks) plus the 3 "Daddy Long Legs" tracks.
IMDb duly states that there never was a release of the Johnny Mercer score.
However, Ray Anthony who's playing his own character in the film released a 45 rpm EP with 4 songs from the film, i.e. "Sluefoot", "Something's Gotta Give", "Dream" & "Thunderbird".
This is not the OST - in the film, the vocals were by the Pied Pipers and in the EP they are by the Skyliners - but I think it's quite good anyway.
I have this EP which I bought after seing the film in 1955.
Here it is after restoration of the sound and the front cover (you can imagine it was in the best possible state after 53 years but I'm happy with the result)
http://rapidshare.com/files/131989533/RayAnthonyDaddyLongLegs.rar
Enjoy
All the very best.
Re: Daddy Long Legs OST and Johnny Mercer's score, someone at castalbums.org has posted a listing for an LP from a label called Caliban that contains both this and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle.
No idea how accurate this is. Here's the link:
http://www.castalbums.org/recordings/975
@ quinlan
A soundtrack release of Daddy Long Legs has always been a difficult entity. With the Alex North ballet music, and your very nice Ray Anthony EP, for which I thank you most graciously, we do have something at least. According to my movie musicals bible, The Hollywood Musical by Clive Hirschhorn, other numbers in the film were History Of The Beat, C-A-T Spells Cat, Daddy Long Legs, and Welcome Egghead - and, of course Astaire’s Something’s Got To Give, of which I have a studio recording.
I guess I will have to attempt a DVD rip.
All the very best to you too, pal and thank you for your kind help.
@ mindy
Sorry, I didn't see your post above about the Caliban Daddy Long Legs LP.
I can't make out from the website whether this LP is available or from whom, though.....
@ mel
To be more complete on the subject of "Daddy Long Legs" OST, this the soundtrack listing as called by IMDb:
· "Something's Gotta Give"
by Johnny Mercer
Sung by Fred Astaire
Danced by Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron
· "Dream"
by Johnny Mercer (1945)
Sung by The Pied Pipers
Danced by Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron
· "Sluefoot"
by Johnny Mercer
Sung by The Pied Pipers with Ray Anthony and His Orchestra
Danced by Fred Astaire, Leslie Caron and Chorus
· "History of the Beat"
by Johnny Mercer
Instrumental with Fred Astaire on drums
· "Welcome Egghead"
by Johnny Mercer
Sung by Girls at Walston College
· "C-A-T Spells Cat"
by Johnny Mercer
Sung by Leslie Caron
· "Daddy Long Legs"
by Johnny Mercer
Chorus
· "Texas Millionaire"
by Johnny Mercer
Instrumental with Chorus
Danced by Fred Astaire
· "International Playboy"
by Johnny Mercer
Instrumental danced by Fred Astaire and Chorus Girls
· "Guardian Angel"
by Johnny Mercer
Instrumental danced by Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron
· "Dancing Through Life"
by Johnny Mercer
Instrumental
Ballet danced by Leslie Caron and Chorus
· "Thunderbird"
by Ray Anthony and George Williams
Played by Ray Anthony and His Orchestra
In addition, this is what they are saying about it's (non)release:
"There was no soundtrack album of the Johnny Mercer score issued in 1955, but Fred Astaire and Ray Anthony compensated with commercial discs. Mr. Astaire's 45 on RCA Victor found him singing a ballad version of the Oscar-nominated "Something's Gotta Give," along with the peppy "Sluefoot," which in the film served as a vocal for The Pied Pipers, backed by the Anthony band. Fred's next recording of "Something's Gotta Give," taken at a brisker tempo, turned up on an LP called "Fred Astaire Today," released by Kapp in 1959. Returning to 1955, Ray Anthony and His Orchestra had in the marketplace a Capitol revamp of four songs from the picture: "Sluefoot," "Something's Gotta Give," "Dream" and "Thunderbird" (the last cut an instrumental composed by Mr. Anthony and George Williams)".
The Ray Anthony's EP is the one I posted yesterday.
I remember having also the Fred Astaire's "Something's Gotta Give
"-"Sluefoot" one, but unfortunately, for some reasons, it disappeared from my collection.
I noticed you said having it. If you would accept to share it (at any time, no hurry) I would be extremely grateful to you.
Thank you very much and all the best.
P.S. You certainly corrected the typo in my previous comment when I said, speaking of the Ray Anthony's EP, that it was in the best possible state after 53 years. Obviously I meant it was NOT in the best possible state.
@ quinlan
I am attempting a DVD rip of numbers from Daddy Long Legs. It is proving a little difficult, and will probably take a couple of days.
Please stand by.
@ filmpac
Thank you very much for the difficult to find Unsinkable Molly Brown OST, your searching work pays !
@ mel
Great idea the DVD rip of Daddy Long Legs, I'm longing to ear that, but take your time !
@ quinlan, carline and mindy,
I have finished the Daddy Long Legs project. I eliminated as much as possible dialogue and sound effects from the songs while endeavoring to preserve their integrity and I hope the result meets with your approval. The song “Dream” was performed four times in the film but due to brevity, dialogue and effects I was only able to use the one right at the end of the film.
The tracks are:
1. History Of The Beat - Fred Astaire - instrumental, with drums
2. Welcome Egghead - sung by the girls at Walston College
3. C-A-T Spells Cat - Leslie Caron and children
4. Texas Millionaire / International Playboy / Guardian Angel - orchestral with chorus
5. Sluefoot - The Pied Pipers with Ray Anthony And His Orchestra
6. Something’s Gotta Give - Fred Astaire, Leslie Caron
7. Dream (Finale)
Link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/132256192/DLL.zip.html
Please feel free to use these in combination with the released Alex North ballet music or on their own. I would appreciate your comments and criticism; and it would be nice if someone can devise a cover for the project.
I created my own cover artwork for the Daddy Long Legs Soundtrack.
Download link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/132534801/Daddy_Long_Legs_Soundtrack.jpg.html
@RetroBoy
Your cover artwork for Daddy Long Legs is brilliant. Thank you so much!
You devotees of the golden age of Hollywood may be interested in my tribute to one of the last representatives of the golden age of pop vocalizing, Jo Stafford, who died the other day. The Big 10-Inch Record has started a series devoted to her more unusual early LPs with a gospel set called Garden of Prayer.
@ Mel - Thanks for your efforts to put together the Daddy Long Legs music. Looking forward to listening!
Also, has the Three for the Show soundtrack appeared here? I am preparing that one for the blog. Will appear soon.
@ buster
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.
Please prepare your Three For The Show soundtrack for posting on your blog - I'll be first in line to download it!
@ Mel ~
I'm glad you liked the artwork! Thank *you* for putting the tracks together and sharing it with us. I love that movie!
@ mel
I'm just listening to it.
Your accomplishment with "Daddy Long Legs" DVD rip is fabulous.
Thank you, my dear friend, for bringing back so nicely a lot of old memories.
You deserve my deepest and eternal gratitude, but you already know that!!!
@ retroboy
I concur with mel to express my thanks for the great job you did with "Daddy Long Legs" cover art.
@ quinlan
Thank you, pal - I'm so glad you like it.
@ retroboy
You and quinlan are most welcome. I have to admit to an ulterior motive, though - I wanted it too!!
@ mel - Super job on "Daddy Long Legs", great quality sound, and s'wonderful to hear it. Thanks also to retroboy for the cover art!
@ sallie - A while back you gave us a DVD rip of "My Sister Eileen". Well, I found another version floating around in p2pland, and offer it here for comparison. It contains a little more dialogue than yours, which actually seems to work in quite well, and I think an extra tune or two. Although it has been a loooong time since I saw the film, and can't really be sure. Also comes with a nicely done set of covers...
Soundtrack "My Sister Eileen", DVD rip @192:
http://www.shareonall.com/OST-MySisterEileen_lyaw_zip.htm
Request:
Just had a listen too to the super DVD rip of "Guys And Dolls". I see that there is an official release, with 30 tracks. Anyone ever seen this around?
Mel et al,
As promised, the Big 10-Inch Record now has the soundtrack of Three for the Show, with Betty Grable, Jack Lemmon, and Marge Champion. Music by a variety of personalities (Gershwin, Carmichael, Tchaikovsky), pulled together by George Duning.
Can't say that it is a lost gem from the Golden Age, but it is fairly rare, I think!
@ mel - thanks for all the hard work on the wonderful Daddy Long Legs rip and...
@ retroboy - thanks so much for the cover. I tried finding one, but except for a few foreign language covers nothing anywhere as nice as yours.
@ filmpac - can't wait to listen to My Sister Eileen.
@ buster - ditto for Three for the Show. Your site really is amazing.
@ mel
Your work is remarkable. You choose the correct moments for cut (like in Texas Millionaire ...). It's one for my favourite musical.
I don't stop listening it !
@ RetroBoy
Thank you for the artwork, I'll print it for my CD.
@ Filmpac
Thank you for My Sister Eileen. Unfortunately I don't have this film, but it gives me the idea to order it.
@ Buster
Thank you for sharing the very rare Three for the Show. I'm waiting the DVD to complete my collection of Betty Grable musicals !
A label called Chansons Cinema seems to have put out a series of Fred & Ginger soundtrack albums on CD, each featuring music from two movies. The music is taken, as far as I can tell, directly from the films, and you can hear dancing, incidental sound, and bits of dialogue in places. But they are quite wonderful for any fan of the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musicals of the 30s. Vol. 1 featured music from The Gay Divorcee and Top Hat
http://www.badongo.com/file/10617006
I have Vols 1-3, which I bought in a record shop in Michigan but have never seen again. If anyone has any other Chanson Cinema releases, I'd love to hear about them.
@ mindy and carline
Thank you both for your kind comments about my Daddy Long Legs rip. I am pleased for all of us who wanted it that it came out successfully.
@ nick
Thank you for the heads up for the Fred And Ginger soundtracks.
I bought the original LPs when they were released back in the 1970s when this kind of thing was very rare.
@ filmpac
Back on April 17, you said here about the Guys And Dolls soundtrack:
I believe I do have that Spanish CD you speak of.
This was in reference to my comment:
I have just heard of a reputedly flawed and unauthorized CD released in Spain but I haven't seen it. Soundtrack Collector doesn't list it.
I think we are both referring to a release that has been available from Am@z0n which had such a negative customer review that I’d like to reproduce it here:
Beware, this "soundtrack" CD originated in Spain and apparently used a video master for source material as all the selections contain extraneous sound effects and dialog. Almost like playing a DVD and skipping to the musical sequences. Additional selections are taken from the Decca original cast album and Decca's 45 rpm of Brando's and Simmon's soundtrack selections. All the Decca selections are available on the OFFICIAL MCA Broadway cast album. The glossy, but poorly written, color booklet contains many typos: for example TAKE BACK YOUR MINK is listed as TAKE BACK YOUR MIND! When will a legitimate CD be issued for this soundtrack with the original music masters utilized? The selections are generally well edited and there is a nice stereo spread to some of the selections. However, this CD is no more than a second rate knock-off which would be difficult for me to recommended. A big disappointment, but to be expected considering the lack of an official sound track release in 1955. From an owner.
He got a reply from another customer as follows:
When the Deluxe DVD pkg was released MGM did make it clear that a "true" album would be impossible as the original recording masters has been either lost or destroyed. All that is known to exist are the three tracks from the 45 release from the movie and the original Broadway albums. As there was no film soundtrack album produced due to legal issues at the time, this is likely to be the best we're going to get until it becomes cheaper and easier to isolate background audio elements digitally.
So it’s my guess that we’ll have to wait a long time before an official soundtrack will be issued.
Hello,
Finally, I've found a thing to do that maybe interest you.
I propose the music (DVD rip) of Artists and Models (1955) with Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Shirley MacLaine and many others.
http://www.shareonall.com/Artists_And_Models_ymmn_zip.htm
Like mel, tell me what do you think of that.
I keep searching !
@ Mel, Sallie, Filmpac -
Has anyone posted the soundtrack to "Beau James : The Life and Times of Jimmy Walker"?
Music Arranged and Conducted by Joseph J. Lilley
Hi all,
The soundtrack for the Audrey Hepburn - Gary Cooper vehicle, Love in the Afternoon, is today's offering over at the Big 10-Inch Record. I think it's an unusual item, but it's also quite short - an EP of 3 songs. Hope you enjoy, if only for a short time.
@ Isbum,
I think I have Beau James and can rip it if it hasn't been posted here before.
@ buster - I have it ripped. It's High Fidelity on the Imperial label.
Is your copy Stereo?
This copy will take some time to remove some pops and stuff. It's why I thought to ask around before spending time with it.
@ Isbum,
OK, I get you. My copy is mono as well. Not sure it ever was issued in stereo - it was a 1957 movie.
@ buster - Bob Hope, Vera Miles and Jimmy Durante on vocals with narration by Walter Winchell.
Hope also did the amusing liner notes.
@ isbum
How coincidental - I was watching Who's Minding The Store? yesterday and was very taken with the score - by Joseph J. lilley. I don't think I have come across any releases of his scores anywhere.
I would love to get the soundtrack of Beau James (either from you or buster).
Thanks!
@ buster
Thank you for the heads up for the Love In The Afternoon soundtrack.
@ buster, dear friend, will you please do me the favor of posting your copy of "Beau James"?
I currently have too much going on to put my fullest effort into this worn Lp.
@ carline
Your soundtrack of Artists And Models was very well done.
Thank you very much and, yes, please keep searching for more!
Devotees of Hollywood in times past may know that Martha Raye, in addition to being a leading comic actor, was also a good singer. The Big 10-Inch Record has an LP she made back in the late 40s, complete with a risque number inspired by the then-new Kinsey Report.
@Isbum and Mel,
Beau James is coming up soon - probably tomorrow.
@ buster
Love Martha Raye. You are posting the most remarkable items in your blog. Keep 'em coming - and we also appreciate your letting us know about them here.
Thanks in advance for Beau James!
@ Isbum and Mel,
Here is a link to the soundtrack LP of Beau James. For those who don't know it, Beau James was a 1957 film with Bob Hope starring as Jazz Age New York Mayor, songwriter, and charming rogue Jimmy Walker.
The soundtrack includes narration by columnist and radio personality Walter Winchell, and songs performed by Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante, and Imogene Lynn dubbing Vera Miles. Most of the selections are standards - Manhattan, Someone to Watch Over Me, Penthouse Serenade, and Sidewalks of New York, along with Walker's own Will You Love Me in December as You Do in May. The other contributions are by music director Joseph J. Lilley.
Lilley worked as arranger with some of Hollywood's biggest stars - Hope, Crosby, Martin and Lewis, and Elvis. I can't say that I find anything exceptional here, but it is pleasant!
I think Mel will appreciate Imogene Lynn - she even gets a credit on the back of the record. She was a band and session vocalist, working with Artie Shaw and the Merry Macs, among others.
Would you all be interested in Paris Holiday, with Hope, Lilley, and two guest appearances by Bing Crosby?
@ buster
You're great. Many thanks indeed for the Beau James soundtrack (I know the movie well - have it on VHS).
I would be most interested in Paris Holiday, when you get the time to post it. Thanks in advance!
Thanks Buster!!
Cyberhug for helping me out my friend!
@ Mindy
Way back on June 16 you requested a number of soundtracks, some of which have never been released.
One of these was The Duchess of Idaho. Well, it's taken us a long time but here it is - our own DVD rip of the music, with Sallie and my best wishes for your continued good health and our thanks for all your wonderful contributions here.
The two orchestral tracks of the swimming sequences have a bit of faintly audible water and swimming sounds, but we won't charge you any extra for that! I was unable to find the identity of the composer of the incidental music, so I am assuming that it was Georgie Stoll, the musical director for the film.
Here you go: http://rapidshare.com/files/134783299/DOI.rar.html
Enjoy.
I would like to request from the very talented RetroBoy: can you make us a cover for it?
@ mel & Sallie - thank you so much. Duchess of Idaho sounds wonderful.
One of my fondest memories during a short-lived career as a theater critic was getting to meet Van Johnson at an opening night party.
He was the epitome of old Hollywood style flamboyance and charm. He was so sweet to my girlfriend and I that we just about died! He's still one of my favorites.
It's not particularly artful, but here's a nice rectangular color poster of Van & Esther for Duchess that you can use as a cover if RetroBoy can't come up with something:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7jtxrd
@ mindy
You are most welcome for The Duchess Of Idaho soundtrack. Thank you for your kind comments.
Thank you also for the cover you found - but it’s a lobby card - I was thinking more in terms of adapting a poster into a square format and incorporating the word “soundtrack” somewhere in it - but that’s for more talented and artistic hands than mine…
@ carline - this may be asking a lot, but it seems like the shareonall site is gone and there were several things you posted that I hadn't downloaded yet.
Was wondering if you could repost to a different site?
Artists and Models (1955)
Shall We Dance
Swing Time
Bathing Beauty
I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
@ Mindy
Artists And Models
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5C5USPRL
Shall We Dance
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W4O7WMYT
Swing Time
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VCFI4YJX
Bathing Beauty
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VJGTRFNS
Give A Girl A Break
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5N0DAR17
I add three DVD Rip :
Best Foot Forward
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2JIFY8Q4
Good News
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DJOYAJLF
Nancy Goes To Rio
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UQR8JOTG
More to come after holidays. Enjoy it !
@ carline
Thank you so much for your three DVD rips of Best Foot Forward, Good News and Nancy Goes To Rio.
I'm looking forward to listening to them!
@ Carline - wow! Thank you so much. You are great. I'll download these right away.
Hi, all - very short post about a very short musical - European Holiday, a Mitch Miller presentation with Jill Corey and Jerry Vale, made for SAS airlines in the 50s, when air travel MUST have been more fun than it is today. Now available at the Big 10-Inch Record.
@ filmpac
My very good buddy, back in May you requested the soundtrack of Night And Day. Now that I have just got a copy of the movie I have done you a rip of the songs. It was a difficult one for two reasons: (a) the audio level is very low, and (b) in some of the musical numbers there are some cutaway scenes which include dialog and sound effects which spoil the numbers and make it hard to edit them. But I did the best I could. All in all, I don’t think it came out too badly.
Here is the link, mate:
http://rapidshare.com/files/136115085/NAD.rar.html
I hope you enjoy it.
@ mel - Wow! What can I say? Take a bow my friend, s'wonderful, s'marvellous... sensational! It sounds absolutely great, and apart from just a couple of abrupt cutoffs, I would never know this was a DVD rip. Wonderful to hear these songs again, my friend, and cannot thank you enough:))
@ carline - I can't let you get away without a big hearty THANKS either. I am yet to download, but I can only imagine the amount of work involved in these DVD rips. So many great musicals I never thought I could listen to without watching the movie, it's just incredible what you all achieve.
Filmpac is a very happy camper indeedy:))
@ filmpac
You are most welcome, and thank you kindly for your nice comments.
Always glad to make someone happy!
Hi, everyone - I really appreciate all the DVD rips you have been offering.
Quite a few of you were interested in the Jo Stafford item I posted recently. There's another one now available, and I think it's even better. It consists of folk song arrangements she recorded back in the 40s.
Big 10-Inch Record
My series of soundtracks from 10-inch LPs continues with Pagan Love Song, which Howard Keel warbled to Esther Williams, and vice versa. Along with the songs from that album, I've also included three deleted numbers from diverse sources, as a bonus.
The music here is mostly by Harry Warren, and the orchestrations by Conrad Salinger, both among the best Hollywood had to offer. Which reminds me - I have a semi-rare instrumental LP by Salinger, if anyone is interested.
Big 10-Inch Record
@ buster
Many thanks for Pagan Love Song, and your thoughtful inclusion of the deleted numbers.
Yes, I would be very interested in the Conrad Salinger LP.
@ Sallie, Mel & Quinlan - Segroeg posted this in the European shop and listening to it, I can't help but feel each of you will find something to like in this collection.
Grand music, perhaps from the latter portion of the Golden Age.
Louis De Funes vol.2
http://rapidshare.com/files/135751590/ldf2.rar
Give it a go kids! Whatta ya got to loose? ;)Enjoy!
@ isbum
Will give the Louis De Funes a listen.
Thanks for the heads up!
A while back I offered the music from the Bob Hope film Beau James, and mentioned that I also had the album from Hope's Paris Holiday, which has the same music director (Joseph J. Lilley). I'm now ready to share that Hope-Fernandel-Anita Ekberg-Martha Hyer affair:
http://rapidshare.com/files/138038384/Paris_Holiday.zip
The big attraction on the record is the appearance of Bing Crosby in two duets with Hope - Paris Holiday and Nothing in Common. Both were written by Cahn and Van Heusen. They often wrote for Sinatra and the blue-eyed one recorded Nothing in Common with Keely Smith. The Hope-Crosby version is strongly reminiscent of Road to Morocco and similar items by the pair.
Crosby appears on this record even though he does not appear in the film. To make things even more confusing, Nothing in Common was cut from the film, where it was to be sung by Hope and Hyer.
The album also contains two Parisian chestnuts (The Last Time I Saw and April in). Th rest of the tunes are by Lilley.
By the way - over on my own blog (Big 10-Inch Record), the latest offerings are actor-singer Polly Bergen's first album and a set of Western dances by Adolph Hofner and his San Antonians. Bergen made films and I think Hofner may have made one or two himself, so maybe I'm not too far off-topic if I mention those items here.
@ buster
Thank you very much for the Paris Holiday link!
Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter are the musical attractions of the latest soundtrack on the Big 10-Inch Record.
The film is Two Weeks with Love, best known these days for Aba Dabba Honeymoon, the Reynolds-Carpenter duet that was featured in one of the That's Entertainment films.
Hope you like it!
@ buster
Thanks for Two Weeks With Love - this is great!
Please could you contact me at
mel468@gmail.com
How about a Diana Lynn album? Diana Lynn, you say? Wasn't she an actress?
(Enough with the questions already.)
Diana actually started out as a piano prodigy, and broke into pictures that way. She did made a number of piano records that Capitol collected into an album, one that now can be found on your favorite (not to mention the world's only) blog devoted 10-inch records, the Big 10-Inch Record.
This one is in response to a request by Mel, which I am happy to fill!
@ buster
You're a star!!
Thank you so much for sharing the Diana Lynn album.
Hello, I'm just found this blog, and I was wondering if anyone can help me locate the original cast recording for Guys and Dolls (with Marlon Brando)- I have been looking for it everywhere!
Thanks
@ kj
You have come to the right place, and welcome to Golden Age Of Hollywood at Franklynot!
There was no official complete soundtrack of Guys And Dolls (with Marlon Brando) and we made our own DVD rip which is available right here.
I hpoe you enjoy it.
Download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/68027764/GAD1.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/68043263/GAD2.rar.html
Not sure if this quite falls under the Golden Age of Hollywood, but it was written by the great Jimmy Van Heusen/Sammy Cahn team:
Anyone have a recording of 1964's Les Poupées de Paris (an "adult" puppet show soundtrack that includes the voices of Pearl Bailey, Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse, Tony Martin and Liberace among others)
I was looking up Pearl Bailey recordings and came upon this for the first time and it sounds interesting. LP only.
Also, Frank Loesser's Variety Girl or Happy Go Lucky or Thank Your Lucky Stars? Thanks.
@ mindy
Actually, all your above requests sound interesting.
I certainly hope someone can come up with any or all of them - especially the Loessers!
Best regards.
Kathryn Grayson was one of the great MGM stars, and we pay tribute to her today over at the Big 10-Inch Record. I've posted her 10-inch album Kathryn Grayson Sings and added tracks from two other MGM albums to make a 15-song set. Good stuff!
@ buster
You've done it again!
Thank you so much for the Kathryn Grayson.
Does anyone know if there has ever been a soundtrack from "The Gang's All Here"? Would be most appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you!
@ david79801
Regarding your above request, e-mail me at mel468@gmail.com for a private share.
thank you so very much for this marvelous place to learn and share!
Hi,
@ mel
Thank you for Night And Day. Keep your good work !
@ Buster
Thank you for Two Weeks With Love and Kathryn Grayson Sings. This is great.
I'm coming back from holidays with DVD rips.
Moon Over Miami
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6QI3VHWX
What A Way To Go !
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JVIE0JQC
(It wasn't easy to do because there is a lot of short musical sequence)
Down Argentine Way
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JAS608P5
Hope you like it !
@Buster
You proposed a Conrad Salinger album.
That's a very good idea because without him ,from musicals to epic films like The Prisoner of Zenda,the MGM sound would have been not so fabulous.
@Georges,
It's quite coincidental that you would bring that up - because I am working on the Salinger right now!
I'll post it within the hour and will leave a note here.
Needless to say, like you I am a GREAT admirer of Salinger's work.
@Buster
It's undeniable: the MGM musical touch was the Salinger's touch !
@ Mel, Georges, and everyone,
If you love the sound of MGM movies, you'll enjoy the latest post at the Big 10-Inch Record. It's the only LP ever made by Conrad Salinger, the orchestrator who was responsible for such numbers as Singin' in the Rain and The Trolley Song. It's something of a rarity, and a tribute to someone who ought to be as famous as pop arrangers such as Nelson Riddle or Gordon Jenkins.
@ Carline,
Hey - thanks for the DVD rips. Seeing Down Argentine Way reminds me of my labors many years ago to tape the movie off TV, then transfer the songs to tape. What a pain. That tape's gotta be around here somewhere, but I look forward to listening to your new version. And in that regard, I can't get that particular file to download properly. There are errors when I try to unzip the file. The other two worked just fine. Anyway, thanks again, and hope you enjoyed your vacation!
@ carline
Welcome back, and I hope you had a nice holiday!
You're welcome for the Night And Day soundtrack. Glad you enjoyed it.
I will certainly try to bring you more unreleased soundtracks by way of ripping them, when I get the time!
Thank you for your three contributions. I am looking forward to downloading and listening to them.
@ buster
Thank you so much for the Conrad Salinger.
In the days of videotape, I was doing exactly the same as you did - taping the music off the films. I could never get good audio quality, though. Today, with the advantage of digital technology, things are easier, more flexible and the audio is a whole lot better. All you need is the time...
Thank you everybody for your nice words.
I'm sorry I don't check my work after doing it.
So the new link for Down Agentine Way (nine tracks) is :
http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=6FNDA7E0
I'm actually working in new DVD rips...
....thanks for a great blog.....
sorei
Hello everyone,
Wow, it does work after all (technically)
I tried to post before but something didn't work (most presumably what didn't work was me)
....after having said 'thanks' (which comes grom the heart) next thing is a wish, a request:
maybe you have:
-"lilies of the Field" (1963, Goldsmith)
-"the long hot summer" ((1958, Alex North)
-Gallipoli (1981)
some others I found myself (party at: "you don't have to visit...." and that's how I found this blog) and with help, but I can't seem to get a hold of these....
best wishes,
sorei
Hi,
These are my new realeses :
Dancing Lady
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B3GDN3FF
Pin Up Girl
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CY4ZZQAP
I hope they'll work !
See you soon
@ carline
Great, nice work! I look forward to grabbing them.
Thank you very much.
Has anyone ever done (or come across) a dvd rip of the songs from "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol"? A terrific Styne/Merrill score. I think I had an LP of it years ago. (I'll cross post at the B'way blog.)
Hi, i am looking for "Omega Man" thank you guys
@laurent
Omega man:
found two working links:
http://rapidshare.com/files/9219632/omega1.zip.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/9220362/omega2.zip.html
not my links ("Dichtung und Wahrheit"-blog)
best wishes, sorei
What a neat place!! Has anyone seen a digital recording of the musical, EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS? I don't think its every been released on CD (or the movie on DVD).
Thanks!
Kathryn Grayson and Gordon Macrae teamed up for the Warner Bros.' 1953 version of The Desert Song. There was no original cast album, but Grayson recorded the songs with Tony Martin for RCA Victor and Macrae joined with Lucille Norman for a Capitol LP.
Unwilling to choose, the Big 10-Inch Record will be presenting both versions, starting with the Grayson recording. This ought to be of special interest to Grayson fans. This set has never been re-released, as far as I know. We'll have the Capitol LP a little later on.
@ buster
A good idea to present both versions, I think.
As always, thank you very much.
Hello All! I am really surprised that I can not find this classic british comedy CD posted anywhere!! It is called "Hammer Comedy Film Music Collection" and features various british film music from Hammer Films' comedies of the 1970's. Would anyone have this rare out-of-print collection available? Thanks to you all.
@ mrwaverly - Posted by Simon Underwood in this months Filmscorium:
Hammer Comedy Film Music @320 with scans awaits at:
http://rapidshare.com/files/143399423/HammerComedyFilmMusicCollection.zip.html
I like this comp a lot - some fun and quaint music. Man About The House is my personal preference, anything involving Sally Thomsett and a track titled "The Chase to Thames Television" can't fail! Hope you enjoy.
Mary Queen of Scots. complete score from isolated score DVD. 48 titles. Good sound. This is my first post ! i hope you will enjoy this great score by Master John Barry.
Regards.
http://rapidshare.de/files/40575141/mary-score.zip.html
Isbum and Simon Underwood I thank you so very much for the Hammer Comedy Collection! You are the Best! - Waverly, Out
And now for the second part of our tribute to the 1953 film The Desert Song. In this case, the Big 10-Inch Record has the recodings of its songs that male lead Gordon MacRae made around the same time with Lucille Norman.
As a bonus, we also have the MacRae-Norman version of Roberta as well. As far as I know, neither of these have been rereleased.
@ buster
Thank you for the MacRae-Norman post. I look forward to listening to it.
A search for the Richard Rodney Bennet score to "Yanks" came up with an expired link on YDHTRTBlog, referencing Isbum. I lose track of which blog is whose, but if this LP rip is around anywhere, please point me in the right direction! Thanks much --
@ david798001 -
"Yanks" - Richard Rodney Bennett
http://rapidshare.com/files/147303721/YANKS.zip
David - Please use the FILMSCORIUM for movie scores that came out after the 1960's. I just happened to see your comment on the main page's widget.
We are a little divided on when Hollywood's Golden Age ended, but we all agreed that by the mid '60's it was over. :)
isbum and the rest of the family-
I just wanted to let everyone know that Mel's mom passed away peacefully this morning. Due to their traditions in Israel, he will not be available until sometime next month. He wanted me to let everyone know so that they don't worry.
Thanks!
@ Sallie - Thank you. Do these traditions allow Mel to read emails?
I will send my condolences to him, but please know that he'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
I'm so sorry to hear of Mel's mother passing. Please send our thoughts and prayers of comfort.
@ sallie - My condolences to Mel and his family.
@ Isbum-
Mel probably won't be reading emails for a while. The traditions of a death require a long period of mourning. His mother was living in Johannesburg, South Africa where Mel is originally from, so he will be traveling there for the funeral.
He assured me that he would be back on as soon as possible to update all of us.
So sorry to hear about Mel's loss. All of us who hang out in these parts know what a great person he is. My thoughts are with him.
I did want to let everyone know about the latest post at the Big 10-Inch Record. It is almost all of the rare commercial recordings made by Irene Dunne, one of the stars of the 1930s versions of Roberta and Show Boat. These are all recordings of Jerome Kern songs, and I don't think any of them have been in circulation for decades (the usual disclaimer - as far as I can tell). Hope you enjoy!
@ Sallie - Thank you.
He'll read it when he's able to then.
i join with you all in sending my condolences to Mel & his family.
@sallie
please express condolences to Mel and his family the next time you communicate with him.
Does anyone have the soundtrack to John Wayne's The Green Berets??
@ Sallie
Please send my condolences to Mel and all his family.
@ everybody
New DVD rips :
Can Can
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J88T7I9T
Du Barry Was A Lady
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YE4EU4D1
Enjoy !
Hi all -
We have something for fans of obscure movie musical records over at the Big 10-Inch Record. It's the soundtrack from the 1951 film Painting the Clouds with Sunshine, featuring Dennis Morgan and Lucille Norman.
Hello again, one more rare soundtrack for lovers of old musicals on the Big 10-Inch Record, this time the 1953 soundtrack from the Eddie Cantor Story, with Cantor himself doing his biggest hits.
Hello my dear friends.
My heartfelt thanks are due firstly to my dear friend Sallie who, with her customary graciousness, per my request conveyed to you the news of my mom’s passing and thus the reason for my absence.
I would also like to thank Isbum, Tony, Filmpac, Buster, Seasy, Ruggo, Sorei and Carline for posting here their kind messages of condolence and sympathy; also to those who sent e-mails.
My mom was 96 and her health had been deteriorating for a few months, so her passing was not unexpected. My family and I will miss her very much.
I would just like to mention that it is largely due to her influence that I became addicted to music at a very early age; and if that hadn’t been the case I may not been lucky enough to have met such wonderful people as all of you here.
It’s good to be back with you.
God bless you all.
@ Mel - Here's a little something to welcome you back home.
- presented by your Rambler Dealer ;)
"Danny Kaye" year? Lp @320
with
The Clinger Sisters
The Earl Brown Singers
Paul Weston and His Orchestra
http://rapidshare.com/files/161287710/Danny_Kaye_Sings_For_Mel.zip
If anyone wants to piece together a cover for Mel, I have front cover scans in the file (2 parts) that need joining. I normally do this by piecing them together on a program and printing...ahem! Long story short I'm out of ink so I can't do it. Thanks for any help!
Track List
1. That Great Come and Get It Day
2. C'est si Bon
3. Oh, Baby Mine
4. Ciu Ciu Bella
5. Down by the Riverside
6. South Rampart Street Parade
7. Ballin' the Jack
8. I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Cocoanuts
9. The Story of Alice
10. Turn Around
EnJoY!
Welcome back Mel!
A little something for you over at the Big 10-Inch Record - George Greeley's Piano Demitasse.
Enjoy!
@ isbum
What a wonderful welcome!
Thank you so much.
@ buster
Wow, I was looking for this George Greeley LP!
Thank you very much for thinking of me.
@ isbum
Thank you again for the Danny Kaye album. You are truly a great guy. It's quite remarkable what you people in the US can find in your second-hand shops and flea-markets there. We haven't got a hope to find such things and I am very grateful to you for thinking of me when you saw it - it's a real treasure.
Using the material you thoughtfully provided, I have pieced together the front cover of the album and it came out quite well. I did it in the computer - no need for printing or using ink. I have had to do this before a number of times. All you need is a little time and patience.
I will post it here tomorrow morning our time as rapidshare traffic is too heavy right now.
All the best.
Well, it took less time than I expected despite my downloads going at a snail’s pace…
Here is the cover - I hope you approve:
http://rapidshare.com/files/161880490/D_K_For_Mel.rar.html
Hi there,
Does anyone have the 20th Century Fox Music of the Golden Age disc that was released on Varese and now out of print?
Here's a link to the disc on Soundtrack Collector so you'll know the one I'm looking for.
http://soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=9490
Many thanks if anyone can help.
All the best, Jim
Hi there, does anyone have Little Children expanded version by Thomas Newman ? Thank you
@ laurent - Thomas Newman isn't a Golden Age composer, his father was. Please post that request in the Original Filmscorium.
@ Mel Thanks for covering Danny Kaye!
So pleased that you're enjoying it.
I missed you!
Ok sorry Isbum !
best
laurent
Hello there,
After a long period of reflexion, I have decided to continue to post things on my blog and I'll see what happen. Nothing serious I hope !
So I have accumulated DVD rips of :
COVER GIRL
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WKLB5DML
THE DOLLY SISTERS
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V78T2W5P
THAT NIGHT IN RIO
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JOF0Q75G
DAMN YANKEES
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8BIOG7ZI
And re-upped
SWEET CHARITY
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XY17UE2C
@ mel
Thank you for your kind message, it gave me the strength to carry on.
@ Carline
Thank you for your new DVD rips - you always do a great job and I'm looking forward to listening to them.
You are welcome for my message - I am heartened that you decided to carry on and will keep my fingers crossed that nothing serious will happen!
@ Carline,
Thanks for the great new rips. Cover Girl has always been one of my favorites!
@ mel
My very dear friend
October has been very hectic on my side for a number of reasons. I've been away from home and found myself running behind schedule upon my return. I am still trying to catch up with my usual activities and among them visiting my favorite blog at isbum's place. I mean that I couldn't dedicate as much time to this blog as it deserves and as a consequence was rather late this month in preparing the monthly link list. I'm almost thru it and just started to review the comments in your shop "Golden Age Of Hollywood" 5 minutes ago. That's where I found out the very sad news of your mother passing.
I feel very bad not to have been able to offer you my condolences in due time and would like to tell you that my thoughts and prayers are with you and express my sincere and deepest sympathy.
God bless you and your family.
I wish you all the very best.
@ Quinlan - As you continue to catch up, you will find that November was a month of much loss and distress among the friends here.
While I have your attention, Quinlan.
Would you prefer just waiting until next month to publish the Excel files? It would be fine with me and perhaps take the burden off you for a month.
Let me know either via email or here.
@ quinlan
My dear pal, please do not feel bad. I knew that you had not been around and that obviously it would take you some time to catch up with things on your return. It's nice to have you back with us.
Thank you most sincerely for your kind expressions of condolence and sympathy on the loss of my mother.
I well remember that you had been away following the passing of your dear father in law's passing, only to find that our then home ScoreBaby Annex had disappeared on your return, and you contacted me at my dormant blog to find out where we all were. For this reason I still go to my old blog every day just to see whether I will ever get another such message!
Would that all our messages could be happy ones...
I wish you health, peace and pleasant listening always.
@ isbum
Thank you for the offer, but I'm thru now and I'm going to publish the lists in a very few moments.
Just the time to upload them.
@ mel
Thany you very much for your understanding and kind words. I'm very touched that you remember so well all these details. I do remember them too. Time has flown since and the essential thing to me is that our friendship has developed and will continue to do so.
Best
@ all
At last the link summaries as of October 31 have been posted in the usual space.
I'd like to ask you to forgive me for not beeing as punctual as usual due to exceptional circumstances.
It's to be noted that October is a record month in terms of number of links. We achieved a total number of 527 links only for Filmscorium as opposed to 389 in September or 284 in August. The last month recording more links than the current one was September 2007 with 684 links. So it's nice to see that the crisis is not with us...
I'd like also to catch this opportunity to give you a reminder, in particular to the welcome and so productive newcomers.
If you appreciate what I'm doing you can be of a tremendous help to me in making sure that your links are clearly described with the album title and the artist(s) name(s), the way you would like them to be reported in the link lists I prepare.
In addition, if you use the hyper link technique, please report the complete link as the hyper link. Words like "here", or "click" oblige me to open the link to be able to copy and paste it. In this respect look at what filmpac is doing which is perfect for me.
Also, if you refer to a request, please repeat the album and artist name. If you just say, when answering the request, "here is what you wanted", it obliges me to go back to the request which sometimes was raised several days earlier, to identify the link.
So, you would oblige me by accepting to follow these little rules. It would save me a lot of time.
Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
It's a puzzler ...
I downloaded the Danny Kaye album below a few days ago and while listening to it found that the Bonus track from The Court Jester (the famous Vessel with the Pestle dialogue) was 4:35 min of silence. The rest of the album was fine.
Could anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong?
Thank you
"The Court Jester" + "Hans Christian Andersen", @192:
http://rapidshare.com/files/31815111/DK-HansTheCourtJester.rar
@ LaraQ
I seem to remember this happening to someone before but I can’t fathom why.
Anyway, here it is - just the one track:
http://rapidshare.com/files/167474684/VesselPestle.rar.html
Now you can enjoy the entire soundtrack!
@ mel
Thank you for uploading the single file. I downloaded it, used WinRar to extract and tried playing it with Windows Media Player. Again, I got nothing but silence. :(
Then I thought I'd try opening the file in iTunes. I selected the 'convert to mp3' advanced option and then tried playing it again with Windows Media Player.
Success.
I don't know why just this one file was so finicky but I'm so glad to have found a solution.
@ LaraQ
You're most welcome. It's possible that most people, me included, play their MP3s with Winamp which doesn't seem to have a problem with this track - and this is possibly why you are only the second person to mention it. I dunno. Anyway, all's well that ends well.
Thanks so much for dropping by, and I hope you will continue to visit us!
@mel et al
Thanks so much for the welcome. I wish I had something to contribute to the group but everything appropriate I have has already been offered.
At the bottom of the bin are:
Andrew Powell - Ladyhawke Movie Soundtrack(GNP Crescendo Records)
Fred Mollin - Forever Knight TV Soundtrack (GNP Crescendo Records)
Fred Mollin - More Music From Forever Knight (GNP Crescendo Records)
Steve Dorff and Larry Herbstritt - Alien Nation Television Score (GNP Crescendo Records)
Sigmund Romberg - Mario Lanza Sing
The Student Prince & The Desert Song
Frank Loesser - Guys and Dolls (The New Broadway Cast Recording)
@ LaraQ
How funny! I have been looking for the Mario Lanza goodies that you mentioned above - Sigmund Romberg, The Student Prince and The Desert Song. It would be wonderful if you could post those (not all at once, of course but whenever you are able).
Thank you so much for your kind offer - and I am sure that if anyone else visiting us here are interested in getting any of the others, they will request them.
Best wishes.
Hello Mel,
I Would like to help you with great pleasure . Could these one be good for you I post them on My blog last week.
http://rapidshare.com/files/166597510/Mario_Lanza_The_Student_Prince-The_Desert_Song_1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/166608392/Mario_Lanza_The_Student_Prince-The_Desert_Song_2.rar
And Here The golden Voice Of Deanna Durbin I also have The Ultimate Collection of deanna Durbin not very easy to find.
I'm realy in Loves with all these oldies from Hollywood. Next week I'm Waithing the Great Caruso if You want Them also, I will upload them.
http://rapidshare.com/files/167390354/Deanna_Durbin_1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/167394799/Deanna_Durbin__2.rar
Best Whishes mel.
jean
@ mel & all
Here for the Fan a Selection of My Musical collection I hope you will enjoy them.
Oklahoma the Songs
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3KJDQZ8A
Oklahoma the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RD1BYPUP Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NTFZC54F Part 2
The King and I the cast
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5X8S8049 Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H6VNGTA0 Part 2
The King and I the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9FOO8AZZ Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=29SS7UZ0 Part 2
Kiss me Kate the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OTPFCC8A Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=STS8DKSD Part 2
Kismet The Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2G1S2NVH Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QCIL2MIS Part 2
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GYFGRPLU Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MTQ638M5 Part 2
Carousel the Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9XNC35L9 Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=218HUTYW Part 2
My Fair Lady the Soundtrack
http://rapidshare.com/files/153329070/Lerner___Loewe_My_Fair_Lady_1.rar Part 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/153339059/Lerner___Loewe_My_Fair_Lady_2.rar Part 2
Finian’s Rainbow the soundtrack
http://rapidshare.com/files/154256051/Burton_Lane__E.Y.Harburg_Finian_s_Rainbow.rar
Sounth Pacific The Soundtrack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NDZUQGTU
Goodbye Mr. Chips The Original Soundtrack Only LP issued
http://rapidshare.com/files/138713952/John_Williams_goodbye_Mr_Chips__1.rar Part 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/138719446/John_Williams_goodbye_Mr_Chips__2.rar Part 2
The Sound Of Music
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NGXV6K59 Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K6UZLH2T Part 2
The Complete Artwork could be find on the Art Department.
@mel
I was still uploading, slowly, the rip I made this morning (@320) but decided to visit and saw that Jean beat me to the punch. It's only one CD, mel, unfortunately.
http://www.amazon.ca/Student-Prince-The-Desert-Song/dp/B000003EUZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1227814551&sr=1-2
Anyway, so there would be some use for the upload, here it is.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ht6wse
@ Jean
Thank you so much for sharing with us all these wonderful soundtracks from your blog.
Best wishes and keep well.
@ LaraQ
Somebody beating you to the punch happens here occasionally - it's just one of those things. In no way does it diminish my appreciation for your kindness in ripping and posting your Mario Lanza CD - and remember that it's always good to have mirror links anyway.
Thank you so much for doing that and for being with us here.
Don't you have any requests?
All the best.
@ mel
No requests right now, thanks, but I thought I'd post a guilty pleasure. Quality is iffy and the source of the original file is murky (found on blog as a single mp3, edited by a fellow LJer into separate tracks during which the bit rate went from 128 to 256) but I had to share anyway.
OST Jupiter's Darling 1955 @256
(Howard Keele and Esther Williams)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/43pzdo
@ LaraQ
Welcome on the blog and thank you so much for sharing Jupiter's Darling OST. keep your excellent work !
@ Jean
Bienvenue parmi les passionnés d'Hollywood.
Merci de partager votre impressionante collection de musicals et vos blogs semblent passionnants mais quel dommage il m'est impossible d'y accéder !
Carline (France)
@ Carline
Bien Le bonjour,
Je vous remerçie de cet acceuil sympa, cela fait maintenant 48 ans que je suis passioné de musique de film ce qui comprend également les comédies musicales.
Pour me rendre visite il vous suffit de m'envoyer un e-mail mon adresse se trouve dans mon profil. Un petit bonjour suffit j'ai juste besoin de votre adresse, connue seleument de moi-même. Merci a vous et peut-être à bientôt .
Jean ( Belgique)
@ LaraQ
Many thanks for posting the Jupiter's Darling soundtrack. Its rarity makes the sacrifice of good quality worth while.
Perhaps one day, if and when I can get a copy of the movie, I can try doing a DVD rip of the music and songs with a view to better audio quality.
Post a Comment